Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Recreational Fishing Takes Big Bite of Ocean Catch
Germanicus
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2004 at 06:49 PM

newest news from the 'travel channel' tonight (Tuesday,Aug.32-04)
The fish market in Tokyo is the biggest in the world.
Everyday they are auctioning off 1,000,000 blue-fins. YES: one million everyday. If the travel channel is serious and right, that is unbelivable.
One 4 to 6 year old is selling for the aquivalent of $10,000.
Guess where the most blue-fins are coming from???
The U.S. and Australia, according to that info.
Any question why the U.S. wants to limit the catch of blue-fins for Europe in the Atlantic?

FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2004 at 08:03 PM
Hey Dilbert, oops, I mean

Germanicus, have you ever seen a tuna pen? Maybe you ought do a search on U.S. fishing regs. Why do you think so many Americans fish in other countries. I hope that (Aryan) Euro pedastal isn't too high, I'd hate to see you fall too far from that bastion of superiority.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2004 at 11:22 AM
WADERS

Whistler, someone has to do something with my waders, they're neopreme. Wait till you see me in them, bring the mustard and buns, I look like a knockwurst.......

In the Keys, I have to fish with a Lawyer,
Oceanographer and a calculater. There's so many rules, heaped upon the sportfishermen, it's nearly impossible to keep up with them.

I had to get a bigger boat just to hold the "Water Gestapos" Rules and Regulations.....Adios U.S. of A.........

Capt. George
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2004 at 08:13 AM
Waders

Hot, ain't they!

Calendar! You should see the rules and regs faced by my son-in-law....a commercial lobsterman and giant tuna fisherman out of Cape Cod......if it weren't so sad, it would actually be comical.....

The draggers have it worse. Beaurocrats.
"I have a sheepskin, why should I ask anything of a stupid fourth generation fisherman?, he has no college degree!"

buttcracks, one and all.......I won't even get into the Nat'l Seashore, how about the Park Rangers now have plain clothes, under cover "rangers" driving around parking lots looking for infractions????Spend more of my tax money....adios U.S. of A. El Vikingo
DAWK

[*] posted on 9-2-2004 at 09:51 PM

i used to fish sea of cortez-decades ago ,and can't blame casual sport fisher-folks,but did anyone ever consider that the -hapless poor FISH...would have a better 'sporting-chance' if these many brave and mostly wealthy champagne-slurping , 'brave sport fisher-folks" ,would be forced-by law-to actually ENTER the depths of the oceans ,and see how it feels....to be a "FISH",with BIGGER FISH sizing YOU-UP,for a MEAL! this kind of 'sport fishing would most certainly make these dudes exit the ocean with only the fish they plan to EAT!there IS one 'brave' kind of fishermen,who deep dive for big tuna-with only a snorkel-mask-fins,and they risk getting EATEN...by big fish-lest they escape with their "catch" .
now....thats what I call FISHING!
so, change the "LAW" and see just how many BRAVE fishermen decide to enter the ocean and risk being-eaten-themselves !! this goes 'ditto' for all the gun-totting 'good-ol-boyz' who shoot animals for pleasure-yet not for consumption. it's all about "FALSE-MACHO" when you do not need the 'food' for your starving family.:lol::lol:
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2004 at 10:54 PM
Yeah, you know how it is...

when I'm out there in my 14' gregor w/the 15 horse Johnson. I just slay the fish and then break out the champagne to celebrate my total dominance over the sea.:lol::lol::lol: Of course, this is during the time I am not watching for weather changes or just enjoying the beauty around me.
I eat what I take. And I enjoy it. I'll be smoking the rest of it manana en la tarde.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2004 at 03:30 PM
Dawk or DORK

I'll go with Dork!

Wadda dink you are.....go watch an Arnold movie and crank your carrot.

How about Ding-A-Ling or Duffus or Ding-Dong, maybe Dip-chit, Dumb-Dumb.

What are you smoking man??

Capt. Coward, I've never even swam with a shark, oohhhh, shame on me!

El Vikingo

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 9-3-2004 at 07:08 PM
I think yall

oughtta be posting as anonymous:lol:
Germanicus
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2004 at 02:42 PM

> care to comment? <
NO.
as long as such primitifs as FrankO are on a thread, I'm out.
Read his post and everybody knows what I mean > personal attacks.
Have a nice day!
FrankO
Nomad

lol.gif posted on 9-4-2004 at 04:00 PM
Pussy.

I'm usually pretty clear in my statements, righto or wrong. And I take the heat when I am wrong and I admit it. You still haven't addressed in factual terms U.S. fishing regs. I guess facts don't work for superior Euros. They're a lot of second generation Germans in the Yucatan. I guess they had to run somewhere. The few times I've been there they still had German accents. Might be a better place for a blowhard. Now that's "primitif".:lol:
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2004 at 08:55 PM
Im with dawk

Im not saying that just because you fish out of a boat that you are a whimp. Im not saying that blue water hunting for tuna makes you a man. What I am saying is that if the law of taking fish from the ocean was changed to actually having to enter the ocean and get the fish with a speargun, or in the case of shellfish, lobsers, etc by hand. I truly believe that the fish populations would restore themselvs. I think that freediver/spearfishermen have a slightly different view of the undersea world and its residents than a fisherman that only sits on top of the ocean and dosent get in. It seems to me like it would be an easy answer to a difficult problem. Of course alot of people wouldnt be able to eat seafood but insnt the problem that we are eating too much?

There are alot of times when the conditions are too rough for spearfishing, and some crabs and lobser only come out at night. When fishing with a rod and reel, you can get alot of fish when conditions are bad. You can trap alot of crab.

Of course only another freediver/spearfishermen would agree with me.

I wonder if Germanicus would be willing to go 50 miles off shore and jump into 2000ft of water to spear a big yellowfin so he could have a tuna sandwich, sounds extreme but so is tuna net.

not an implication just a question

Sharks dont like swimming with me because I put too much sh-t in the water when they swim by. Kinda like an octupus but a different brownish ink...

GTB
http://www.gonetobaja.com

gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2004 at 10:56 PM

I live in San diego and have from 1971 and have hunted WSB in the kelp off of La Jolla too many times to count. Yellowtail at the paddies, big sheephead at the coronados. The Enchanted Islands area is full of white sea bass, and even Totuaba that are giant white sea bass. We also have large yellowtail out here, not just grouper.

Have you ever shot a 40lb grouper and tried to wrestle it to the surface? I have. Here is some info on grouper that I have found, they patrol their area, they dont just sit in their holes. There hole is where they drag you and all of your gear after you shoot them. A grouper dosent just hold still and let you swim up and shoot him, you have to dive over and over in the same spot to the bottom and hold still with the hopes that one may swim by on patrol. One of the most dangerous fish to shoot is a grouper in baja 5 hrs from nowhere. A 15lb leoapard grouper can tie all of your gear up in a "hole" 40ft below the surface and you will spend 2hrs trying to get him free.

If you check my website and go under spearfishing there is a picture of me holding a yellowtail we shot at the islands right under a pic of the 70lb+ grouper we got on the same trip.

The big gulf grouper in that pic was shot by a man weighing 140lbs. It pulled him under twice and he had a 50ft floating drag line with a bouy on the end.

I dont just shoot one kind of fish, I shoot all fish. I do not discriminate, I shoot anything big. (except totuaba, and parrot fish because they are pretty) And Ill shoot a triggerfish if Im hungry.

GTB

"Fishermen of the world, stop playing with your poles...learn to sink your shaft deep into the meat, bust a hole right through...for the good of humanity"
bajaloco
Nomad

Mood: wishin I was fishin

[*] posted on 9-8-2004 at 08:21 AM

Gone to baja has his idea of fishing and it's not mine...What you are doing is hunting. I too use a rod and reel, I also spearfish, I also dive with scuba, I also hunt wild land animals to eat. Having said that, I never do anything to fill a freezer or someone else's. I eat what I take. The sport is in the hunt, not the kill.....
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2004 at 09:23 AM

Black sea bass are not puppies, They outweigh them and can swim much better. They also live underwater. Grouper are not black sea bass. They behave different under the water. Although it is true that Black SB will let you swim right up to them the puppy stuff would end right about the time when you shoot them and try to get them up. I dont shoot Black SB because my Scuba customers like to swim up to them and feel like discovery channel.

For the record I caught my dinner this weekend on a rod and reel. A triggerfish.

Loco is right, Spearfishing combines the art of hunting with the knowledge of a fisherman. However I think we are getting away from the question.

How do we regain the big fish stocks?

MY answer is still the same. Make everyone spearfish. I know that will never happen because people are just too lazy to get in the water everytime they want to go get some fish.

You could make rod and reel fishing catch and release only and then people could still enjoy the day of fishing.

The guy who used to shoot Blacks at guadalupe paid for his fishing practices with his life, Is every fishermen willing to take those risks?

Of course not, that is why people would be opposed to only spearfishing.

Another admission, I would guess 70% of my customers dont spearfish, however after teaching them they seem to like it.

If the law actualy changed then I may be in for some rough times. But it wont.

Hey whistler WSB=yes

If you log on to http://www.ochunter.com there alot of pics of local CA fish shot by spearfishermen. Its not as unusual as one might think.

For alot of info on spearfishing you can check out http://spearboard.com there is a nationwide surge in spearfishing and I think its great.

Loco is right(twice), if we dont fill another persons freezer with our excess that the situation would be alot better.

Im still waiting for someone to tell me that making everyone spearfish would be bad for fish stocks...

Anyone...?

GTB

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2004 at 01:30 PM
SPEARFISH

I see more and more "fishermen" switching to the spear in the Keys....Not able to produce using the rod and reel..These same guys now are producing bigger numbers then when they were rod and reeling.....Tell you something?

Not a good sign in my book, by the way, these guys are market spearing....Hogfish now almost impossible on rod and reel and getting harder with the spear.

Rod and reel seems a great deal more difficult then swimming into your preys living room and shooting him.....To each his own, but the addition of so many more spearfishermen to the ranks has certainly decreased the rod and reelers chances........

I'll stick to the wand anyway.......

Capt. George
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2004 at 05:37 PM

Well there we go...

Capt. george, I hear you on your Fla spearfish delima. In fla you can spearfish with a tank on. It makes it a much different task than while freediving. Using a speargun while having a tank even in the boat is illegal in mexico.

Of course there are many ways in which we make our chances of getting fish better, a reliable boat, a reliable truck, a place to stay close to the fish. But the actual method of the take I think is what is in question. Of course there are many ways to indirectly affect our fishing experiences but the method of take is the most directly responsible cause and the most easily changed.

Yes that grouper In the sportfishing section was caught on a rod and reel. It was that guys first one so I put it on the site. The one thing about this whole spearfishing/fishing discussion I think we are forgetting is that the take limit is the same for both.

As far as profit, well whistler your are not the first guy to pull that card on me and you wont be the last. Ive gotten hate e-mails from enviornmentalists that think Im the begining of the end of an ecosystem at the Enchanted Islands. Im sure you have seen my pricing and services and its easy to do the math. You can see that making a big profit and fishing in mexico just dont add up. I do this work because I can just scrape by and pay my payments and at the same time go out to the islands. Its probably not the most responsible way to live I will admit, but for a hopeless baja junkie like me its the only way to get some money. The alternative for me is spearfish in Baja and be totaly unemployed.

And I wouldnt call it fishing for profit. The money I get is for the trip there and back, safely. I get paid for being a guide not on how many fish we get or dont get. Landing fish is not my job.

The shrimper in San Felipe will say that stoping trawlers will hurt his family. The resturants that sell shrimp tacos would go under. the gill net guy says if nobody fished with a rod and reel and just bought fish from him than there would be plenty of fish. Everyone has a valid point and opinion.

But what is the real answer.....

PACIFICO (mex version)

Everyone should be able to enjoy the ocean how ever they want. Scuba spearfishing, pole fishing, freediving,

I need a beer...

GTB

gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2004 at 10:53 PM

You got me,

I forgot that I put the big one on the bottom of the sportfishing page. That fish was shot but I put it there to show fishermen that if thats the fish they want to catch I know where they live. I was talking about the smaller lepoard grouper at the top. I had taken a fishermen out to a spot that I "Knew" had big grouper in it. He fished there all day with all types of lures but couldnt catch one. I told him to catch some live bait but he insisted on using these big plastic fish things with the wiggly tail. The trigger fish kept shredding all of his lures to peices on every cast. He said that there were no grouper in that spot. We usualy get them trolling big rapala magnums in shallow water.

I have heard about the white seabass thing. Its a sure thing that groups like that one have made a big help in the White sea bass stock. They used to be alot harder to find. I acutaly havent shot one for over a year. The last time was at Catalina Island outside of Shark Harbor on the back side of the island. Its very true that without the efforts of organized fishermen It would be impossible for me to be stalking any WSB in the kelp. They are doing a similar thing in San Felipe with the Totuaba.

No worries about the profit thing, I have alot of people tell me opinions they are thinking about me working in mexico as a guide I have never had anyone say "Wow thats a stable and well though out plan, quiting your job is a great idea!"

It was all very clear to me though...:light:

GTB

:bounce:

My goal is to shoot the barracuda that killed nemos mom, that really peeed me off...:fire:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.