Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Stars, Feng Shui, Witchcraft, Bamboo and
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2004 at 10:42 AM
Stars, Feng Shui, Witchcraft, Bamboo and

things most white people don't understand.
This is mostly for Germanicus but it's for everyone.
People that are of color are a lot more in tune with these things although, it is still pretty much a mystery to them as well.
But, they are aware of them and realize there is something to them and use them to the best of their ability.
We as whites, have a lot to learn from these (primitive) alternative ideas rather than keeping our minds closed and denying they exist.
When it comes to moving to Mexico, many of these people practise a lot of "ancient" techniques.
But, they only use them because they work. Not because they are trying to impress their friends.
A funny thing happened when I was setting up the bamboo park. My plants kept getting rearranged. This was because I had planted them in the wrong places.
Flaco knew, the locals knew, but I had no idea. Sometimes, I only missed by a couple feet but I just didn't understand the entire "scheme" of things. I still don't. But, I'm trying to learn.
And then, other plants would show up that "needed to be planted" for the tranquility, health aspects, and general good of the area.
I don't remeber the word for Feng Shui in Spanish but it came as a surprise that the hill people are very much aware of it. I thought that was an asian thing.
The stars are their basis for growing, planting, which crops to use which years, and a huge part of their lives.
The witchcraft I have already written a little about but that will be continued. Suffice it to say, it is alive and well in Mexico.
The bamboo has incredible properties besides it's many commercial uses. That was forgotten about when the asians were trying to conquer the world. We whites considered it something bad because of those that were already aware of it and using it, but because of prejudicial thinking, we have lost out on the benefits of bamboo. Until now.
I think perhaps I spent a little too much time in Borneo and the Phillipines but one thing for sure, I do have a love for bamboo and an open mind.
You saw the first "new" idea with my truck rack. Just wait. What other's have been using and appreciating for thousands of years, we as whites think of as a new thing.
Same with the rest of the title. I highly recommend listening to others rather than trying to teach our "modern" ways to them, especially if you want success and en lightenup ment :lol::light:
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2004 at 10:53 AM

As Skeet would say "If it makes you feel good,do it!" :spingrin:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Germanicus
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2004 at 11:28 AM

JR, as usual, we do have the same opinion about what you are saying.
The "colored" people do have mor knowledge about those things you are talking about.
That planting a certain plant dependends on the constellation of the stars to each other, is something, I do not believe.
Maybe out of other reasons it is better not to plant. i.e. when there is a lunar eclipse.
I agree, in those nights, don't plant anything as you can't see your own hand infront of your eyes and maybe you are running into a ditch.
But the stars are certainly not influencing our lifes.
That was my point.
No question that colored people do have more knowledge about ancient things.
But that is mostly because the white race has developed in a complete different way than the colored race.
Exeeptions even here.
Look at the Japanese.
The most modern country in the world > no doubt even more "civilized" than the U.S.
It is more the fact that the "colored" (look at the Siberians, Mongoles, Tibetians, and many Asians) did not had and have the opportunity to "develope" in the way we did.
I put <"develope"> this way, as I am not sure if our way (the white peoples way) of development is the best development for our planet.
Isn't it the white race which is destroying this world the most.
Especially the Americans?
(Bush not accepting the Kioto treaty because he gives a damn chit what happens to the world after he's out of office / Look at the environmental desaster in these United States.
Here in texas it is not better than in some parts of Baja > trash everywhere.
an old car? dump it in the backyard!
an old car-battery? we can use that one as weight for our fishing-throt-line.
fighting Mesquite in the pasture? the best way to do it is pooriong diesel to the Mesquite.
well, well, well, but I do know what you mean.
Germanicus
No offense, but fact remains fact.
No matter how the discussion ends.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 8-28-2004 at 11:37 AM
You are crackin me up Man

:lol::lol::lol:
One thing I think for sure is that where you want to go in Baja, you will be pleasantly surprised when it comes to Baja being trashy.
I think some of the Brujas cast a spell and it all magically disappeared!:lol:
I guess they put it in Texas :lol::lol::lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-28-2004 at 06:41 PM

A note about plant cuttings and the moon...

Doc (Camp Gecko) asked me to obtain some pomegranate cuttings from Jose at San Borja, to plant at Gecko. I guess there is a very tasty variety at the mission orchard. Jose consulted with the calendar as to what phase the moon was in before taking a cutting from the tree. Now I have taken cuttings and grafted onto fruit trees, but never heard how the moon could affect the success of such activity! I told Doc that Jose was a little concerned as it was not the perfect day for taking a cutting, but close enough I guess. Doc said the mountain people have many such superstitions.

Germanticus, please leave the politics to the off topic board. The Kyoto accord was just an attempt to have America pay out billions to solve mostly other countries' problems, as usual. Now, I want an extra beer when we meet...!!! HA HA

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-28-2004 at 08:11 PM
full moon

Full moon means better visibility on a night hike and better views of the road while driving a Baja race road at night.

Otherwise, NOT!!!

As to your comment on Japan being the "most civilized in the world"
Obviously you have never spent much time there.

"whatever floats your boat, baby"
For me, good old Gringolandia, with all of its flaws, is still the most civilized.

Actually, I was staying in Rotenburg aub Tober, and thought it to be incredibly civilized, next day we visited Dachau...

NOT!!!!

Baja Arriba!!
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 8-28-2004 at 08:42 PM

bajarunner,

You make a very valid point.

We have to leave what we are used to, in order to get a new perspective.

Regardless of where we are, there are areas of beauty and ugliness, but familiarity creates indifference and often contempt for how we perceive that it is mismanaged.

I'm still looking for big answers about this, the only ones I have at this moment is love and care for your home the best you can and travel as much as possible to wonderful places to get new ideas.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2004 at 09:01 PM
Runner

have you ever "not raced" down the peninsula?
Giving out candy in a matter of seconds is cool but, there is a lot to be learned from these "hicks" other than feeling sorry for them and causing dental problems.
And Jan, while you are in those "wonderful places", learning something different, feel free to help in any way that seems to apply. Like a stuck truck for instance.
And as far as showing gratitude to your instructors, teach them that we pick up trash and are concerned about the environment, no matter who thinks they can own it. They don't ! :light:
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 8-28-2004 at 10:28 PM

In response to white people not having knowledge of the mystic traditions---our history is full of it....remember the Druids? The Cabalist traditions in the Jewish culture, the Goddess cultures which dominated Europe for 50,000 years(until about 5,000 yrs. ago when they were subfucated by the patriarchal Judeo-Christian-Muslim traditions), and the Wiccan cultural rites, which are still practiced today in many places in the United States. However, most whites do not practice mysticism anymore. The Age of Reason(Newton and the mechanistic universe) combined with the Puritan Ethic(which is alive and well today in the environmental movement) pretty well took the attention of the white cultures and even made them suspicious of the mystic arts(remember the Salem witch trials?)
whitelight

[*] posted on 8-28-2004 at 11:42 PM
mysticism in western culture...

the mystical traditions in judaism are deep, ancient and fascinating....the kaballah is a complete cosmology of mysticism and numerology....
prague was a place also of great mystical study.....and of course... there is a resurgence of interest in kaballah today....
and thank goodness for the protective Golem....keeping the jews safe forever!
....of course....christianity is based on strong mystical teachings as well.....
and so are the fairy tales of western culture....filled with mysticism and enchantment....
...the teachings of carl jung...
keats, yeats, saint-exupery, celtic lore and writings...emerson..thoreau...
great western artists from hundertwasser to monet to klimt...redon...
composers like satie, ravel...debussy..
gregorian chanting....new age musics...
all around us are mystical traditions and their offspring....
one only needs to look at the religious works of da vinci to know that even in the western world of humanism and classicism...mysticism is indivisibly at the heart of great art, artists and creation....

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2004 at 02:03 PM
JR, you asked....

"have you never raced the peninsula??"
Well, sir, as a matter of fact, the racing was totally secondary to the commitment made by me and my family to the poorest of the poor in Baja California.
Starting in 1972 we spent all of our Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving vacations at our place within the compound at the Door of Faith Orphanage in La Mision.
My kids thought that was the 'norm' for vacations.
In 1977 we took the extraordinary step of faith and took two 13 year old boys home to live with our family. Over the next 10 years we had a total of 4, all of whom lived with our family, as a part of our family, and to this day they call me Dad, my daughters are their sisters and their kids think I am their grandpa...
It was a marvelous experience, fraught with more agonies and joys than any thing you could possibly imagine.
During that time we also spent extended times living at the orphanage, I had my family spend an entire Summer at Rancho Santa Marta, simply a life experience.
We also helped to equip the little school in La Mision, which was woefully short of supplies.
When a swimmer died at Rosarito Beach I got a local med. supply company to donate a defibrillator to Dr. Fregoso, so that this might possibly be avoided in the future. The only one in town, at the time.
We knew every kid, not only by name, but by their needs and their wants.
We also watched the gates close, from within, every evening, and we watched the typical big-hearted gringo dash down the road, back up to the storage room, dump all the goods out of the back, hand out a bit of candy, and dash for Ensenada. And never hug a kid, and never get to know a name.
Ahhhhhh, yes JR, I did more than race.
Ask Bill Lawrence, at Santa Marta south of San Vicente, who has been his biggest backer, ask Bill who was responsible for that lovely 15 acre premium fruit orchard in back of the complex.
And, while you are at it, ask my sons how they are giving back to a country that never gave them a chance.
Last week my boy Juan sat on my porch, and with tears in his eyes said, "Dad, in 10 years when the kids are gone we are moving back to Guadalupe to start a place where kids can have a chance,"
And then, JR, it all starts being worthwhile.
Have a great day, Yeah, I did more than 'race the peninsula.'

Baja Arriba!!
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2004 at 02:42 PM

Bajarunner -
Thanks for the excellent story of caring and sharing, and the dedication and discipline it takes. 'Tis said what you do comes back to you. Sounds like you're already receiving those rewards.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 8-29-2004 at 04:13 PM
My apologies for even wondering

"Full moon means better visibility on a night hike and better views of the road while driving a Baja race road at night. "
I got the wrong impression.

Sounds like you are a wonderful family indeed!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2004 at 04:48 PM
Thanks...

Yeah, been an interesting life, to say the least.
And the ultimate irony, Teresa and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary next month and she does not like Baja... sigh!
I guess when you were raised in a house with a dirt floor, rats in the attic, pigs in the pen that adjoins the house and a road that stops two miles short of home during the rainy season would turn anyone off.
She did promise to go see San Ignacio whales next Feb. We shall see.
Meanwhile, we give lots and lots of time to the less fortunate, working with a school in Puebla, a medical mission in the mountains of the Philippines, etc.
33 years on the local Salvation Army Board in Modesto and 21 years on the National Board of the Salvation Army, we do our best.
Will be starting a new thread soon about finding a more "needy" orphanage in Baja to hook people up with.
More later

Baja Arriba!!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2004 at 06:20 PM
I may be able to help you out

with one needy orphanage. They are awesome humans as well.
And it sounds as if you may have a lot in common.
Where in the Phillipines? I spent time in Baguio, Manila, Cagayan de Oro, and Hasaan.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2004 at 03:58 AM
Thank You BajaRunner

Yes Runner.Words of Wisdom and Heart.
To be able to see the Light of the Eyes of a Child in need, and do somethng about it is the Ultimate act of Charity.

God Bless You and Yours!

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2004 at 09:49 AM

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2004 at 10:30 AM

Hugs to you bajarunner - you're the kind of person who makes the world a better place.
Germanicus
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2004 at 06:35 PM

JR, tell us , my wife is invoved, more about that pic > girl.
We are thinking about.....
Germanicus
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2004 at 09:00 PM
How about this,

here's her brother.
And, they have a lifestyle and parents that cannot be beat ! Anywhere on the planet !
What they need is school supplies and clothing.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.