Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Travel to and from Loreto and Cabo
ScubaVicki

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 08:45 AM
Travel to and from Loreto and Cabo

I will be traveling in April 2012 to Cabo. From there I want to go to Loreto for a week and then back to Cabo. I am a 65 year old woman traveling alone so security is important.
Does anyone know anything about the small airport in Cabo? Or a van or bus? Or the large airport in San Jose del Cabo?
I am also looking for recommendations for Dive shops in Loreto.
Thanks
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 08:49 AM

What do you want to know, be specific? the airports function normally, the roads are clear and easy.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 08:57 AM

Be careful. Read everything on this board as well as the State Dept warnings.

Many on this board want to carry guns down there and DO carry pepper spray etc. search "guns" "pepper spray" etc and see what the expats say.
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 09:07 AM

As far as driving...I can't give personal advise, but for diving I can. Dolphin Dive Center on Juarez is great. Rafael Murillo Pelayo is the very knowledgeable dive master. I have been diving with him regularly since 2002.

Although I haven't done it, I would drive without hesitation from Cabo to Loreto, but Aereo Calafia has flights, and there are busses.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte
Be careful. Read everything on this board as well as the State Dept warnings.

Many on this board want to carry guns down there and DO carry pepper spray etc. search "guns" "pepper spray" etc and see what the expats say.

Do disregard the above!!!!! It is safer here than many places in the states.

The buses are safe. Dont know anything about the flights out of San Lucas but that would certainly be faster. I doubt that there are flights from SJD to Loreto but I dont know for sure

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 09:37 AM

Texas student shot and killed in Mexico bus hijack on way to visit his family

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 11:03 PM on 7th October 2010

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1318667/Te...

and do a search for "self defense" on this board. Tell me Judy, why are so many people concerned. Hope you are not hurt one of these days.

[Edited on 4-23-2011 by norte]
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 09:47 AM

The drive/bus from Cabo to Loreto is probably 6-8 hours. The flight on Aero Calafia requires that you go to the little airport un in the barrio hill behind Cabo. The flight will be expensive I recall, RT $300 or more. You would need to taxi there, wait in advance, take the flight, arrive, taxi to your destination=total time for flight/cost with taxi/flight will be on the order of 5 hours one way/at $500RT.

The drive will be pleasant 6-8hours one way and average fuel costs would be about $150RT

Here's some of the aero calafia planes

Flight Attendress

Baggage handler
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 10:31 AM

Quote:
Texas student shot and killed in Mexico bus hijack on way to visit his family

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 11:03 PM on 7th October 2010

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1318667/Te...

and do a search for "self defense" on this board. Tell me Judy, why are so many people concerned. Hope you are not hurt one of these days.

This kid was not in Baja California Sur

[Edited on 4-23-2011 by bajajudy]

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 10:40 AM

and Judy

what about the "collaboration with organized crime" occurring in Sur. Do you also deny cartel involvement in your beloved area?
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 10:48 AM

I feel safe here, safer than I would in, say, Detroit, Los Angeles, etc...or even California.

That is all I have to say on the matter.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 10:50 AM

I am happiest when in Baja. Wish I was able to live there like Judy and others do!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 06:40 PM

norte, your name pretty much says it all....have you personally been down south recently....say in the past 10-15 years? You're a fear monger! The US media reporting does not remotely resemble what I & other residents personally experience on a daily basis of living down here. There are a lot of single females that live here without being mugged, raped, kidnapped or shot! Nor do we live here in fear!! Nobody I know....male or female, married or single....owns pepper spray nor a gun....they don't feel any need to!

ScubaVicki, don't listen to norte!! I agree totally with bajajudy & morgaine7, women who have lived in Sur for a great number of years. I've lived here since 1999 & have driven the length of Baja alone many times without incident! Either take the bus or rent a car (can be spendy). Pay attention to your surroundings, don't drive the highway at night, don't take any foolish risks, keep your eye on your possessions....just like you would anywhere in the world & you'll have an awesome time!!

Edit punctuation

[Edited on 4-24-2011 by longlegsinlapaz]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 06:58 PM

I agree with longlegs and others... I have driven san diego to our home which is a 12 hour drive. no sweat. no trouble. did not think twice about it.

I did get very lost in los angeles last year - about 8 months ago and to say my heart was absolutelypounding is putting it lightly. I was scared out of my wits. and I will never do that again. ever.

I have never done the sjc to loreto and except that it is a loooooong drive (just like states too our home is), you should not have any trouble at all. It would be better to get someone to go with you and then drive so you can take photos though ...

:D

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Barbarosa
Nomad

Mood: "On th' road again..."

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 07:03 PM

Quote:

Tell me Judy, why are so many people concerned. Hope you are not hurt one of these days.

Tell me, Norte, whatinhell does that story (south of Brownsville) have to do with BCS?

Last I checked, there is *NO* cartel activity in Sur.

Hide in the dark behind the curtain if you must (and if you call that living), but the rest of us have lives to live.

Barbarosa
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 10:01 PM

Quote:
and Judy

what about the "collaboration with organized crime" occurring in Sur. Do you also deny cartel involvement in your beloved area?

As long as everybody is "collaborating," things are tranquilo and the economy is booming. The problems start when they are NOT collaborating.
jenny.navarrette
Banned

[*] posted on 4-24-2011 at 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
There are a lot of single females that live here without being mugged, raped kidnapped or shot!

Apparently there are also a lot that are:

1. Lizet Salinas Soto - 8 years old. Kidnapped off the streets of La Paz as she walked home from school on Oct. 14, 2010. Still missing.

2. Ashley Madeleine Ruíz Avendaño - 5 years old. Kidnapped from Los Cabos on April 10, 2011. She was found dead in an arroyo the next day.

3. Kelsy Lauren MacFerlin - 22-years old and from Oklahoma, was walking on boulevard Lázaro Cárdenas in Cabo San Lucas on March 20, 2011 when she was robbed at knife point by two men.

4. A young American couple were held up and robbed at knife-point on March 31, 2011 while camping on Concepcion Bay by three Mexican nationals.

5. Mike "Kona" Meredith - 38 years old. Shot twice and robbed on October 21, 2010 in Cabo San Lucas while walking back to his hotel after dinner.

6. Woody and Donna Sale, Americans who live near Los Barilles, in Baja California Sur, were attacked and robbed in a home invasion robbery July 15, 2010.

I guess I don't understand why everytime somebody here asks if it is safe, a herd of people all resond similarly by saying they "feel" safe. How does how one "feels" relate to the reality? If I feel cold, does everybody else feel cold? If my feet hurt does everybody else's feet hurt? The question ScubaVicki asked was about security and dive shops. She didn't ask how you "feel".
Barbarosa
Nomad

Mood: "On th' road again..."

[*] posted on 4-24-2011 at 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jenny.navarrette
Quote:
There are a lot of single females that live here without being mugged, raped kidnapped or shot!

<snip th' police blotter>

(Frankly I don't think that reaches the threshhold of "a lot.")

I raised my family in San Francisco. Once while my wife and I were out of town, my mother came to look after the kids. The first afternoon my 12 yo daughter came home from school and headed out to Golden Gate Park to take her dog for a walk.

My mother (who was raised in Chicago in the 20s & 30s and enjoyed it and should know better) wanted her to stay home, and asked her: "Aren't you afraid?"

My daughter, far wiser than her gramma, replied: "I will be careful but I will NOT be afraid."

I LOVE that kid!

Barbarosa
Melondeverdad

[*] posted on 4-24-2011 at 07:49 AM

You've summarized a year's worth of major crimes in BCS .... Could just as easily be a DAY'S worth of crime in Los Angeles.

Quote:
Originally posted by jenny.navarrette
Quote:

1. Lizet Salinas Soto - 8 years old. Kidnapped off the streets of La Paz as she walked home from school on Oct. 14, 2010. Still missing.

2. Ashley Madeleine Ruíz Avendaño - 5 years old. Kidnapped from Los Cabos on April 10, 2011. She was found dead in an arroyo the next day.

3. Kelsy Lauren MacFerlin - 22-years old and from Oklahoma, was walking on boulevard Lázaro Cárdenas in Cabo San Lucas on March 20, 2011 when she was robbed at knife point by two men.

4. A young American couple were held up and robbed at knife-point on March 31, 2011 while camping on Concepcion Bay by three Mexican nationals.

5. Mike "Kona" Meredith - 38 years old. Shot twice and robbed on October 21, 2010 in Cabo San Lucas while walking back to his hotel after dinner.

6. Woody and Donna Sale, Americans who live near Los Barilles, in Baja California Sur, were attacked and robbed in a home invasion robbery July 15, 2010.

I guess I don't understand why everytime somebody here asks if it is safe, a herd of people all resond similarly by saying they "feel" safe. How does how one "feels" relate to the reality? If I feel cold, does everybody else feel cold? If my feet hurt does everybody else's feet hurt? The question ScubaVicki asked was about security and dive shops. She didn't ask how you "feel".
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 4-24-2011 at 08:05 AM

Take the bus, fly, drive, just go! My attractive wife has made two round trips from Orange County to La Paz in the last year. With her 65 year old father as "security". Listen to the others when they tell you it is a safe place for ladies as well.

Love the story Barbarosa, a Baja attitude for sure!!! ;D

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2011 at 08:29 AM

For every 1,000 homes, Baja California has 306 registered home crimes, Baja California Sur has 211, and Quintana Roo has 176.

Source: El Robo a Hogares, ICESI.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.