Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Surf and fly fishing in cabo
bajasuzie
Junior Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 10:29 AM
Surf and fly fishing in cabo

Thank all of you who gave us advice on our Feb. Cabo surf fishing adventure. We had a blast!
Now, we are going back this month and have more questions!

Any suggestions of where the best surf fishing would be around Cabo to San Jose?
Also, our son wants to fly fish. Can anyone give us info on that for the same area?
He wants to go panga fishing too...any recommendations on who is the best to go with? And reasonable?
Thx!!
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 12:20 PM

the best area that i've found down there over the years is out at the cape just south of hotel punta colorada..it can be windy at times but one can usually get in the lee of the lighthouse point there and do ok...a MUST when flyfishing is a stripping basket or you'll be all tied up most of the time in your own fly line...great rooster and BIG jack fishing..

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 5-3-2011 at 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
the best area that i've found down there over the years is out at the cape just south of hotel punta colorada..it can be windy at times but one can usually get in the lee of the lighthouse point there and do ok...a MUST when flyfishing is a stripping basket or you'll be all tied up most of the time in your own fly line...great rooster and BIG jack fishing..

The crowds at that spot are bad these days. It's not like it used to be.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2011 at 08:09 AM

CROWDS???...there's crowds there?....are we talking about the same place?...i guess things have changed as just a couple years ago i could spend all day from daylight to dark and not see another person on the playa...wow..

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-3-2011 at 08:52 AM

I go down there from time to time and usually see one or two people, not really what I would call a crowd. There is a fly fishing guide that works out of Punta Colorada who is very good, he might have a "crowd" every now and then. There are about 20 miles of pristine beach available on either side of the resort so I don't think you need to worry about getting your line tangled up with the guy next to you......dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2011 at 10:03 AM

thanks david, my bubble was burst.

moogie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2011 at 10:41 AM

I know some good spots for fishing from the shore in the San Jose area.
#1.
The beach immediately to the right of the La Playita jetty.
#2.
The area around the estuary.
#3.
The area around El Presidente hotel.

If you want to do a panga charter, contact Eric at Gordo Banks. He operates his fleet from the La Playita marina. He can also hook you up with some of his pangeros to take you surf casting.

For the surf casting, especially at the La Playita jetty beach, make sure you have some Robert's rangers. We slayed the Roosters and Jacks with them.
Happy hunting!
Moog
bajasuzie
Junior Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 5-3-2011 at 09:19 PM

Thanks so much for all the info:) well check it out!
choyero
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 12:29 PM

Quote:
CROWDS???...there's crowds there?....are we talking about the same place?...i guess things have changed as just a couple years ago i could spend all day from daylight to dark and not see another person on the playa...wow..

If there weren't crowds there before, there will be now. That is what happens when you tell everyone on the internet where the "best" fishin' holes are. :?::?::?:

When you go there next and there are crowds, remember to pat yourself on the back.

fishin' is like surfing, keep your the "best" areas private.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 12:51 PM

i have been visiting this area and fishing it for 30 years now...in that time, i have probably written AT LEAST a dozen articles about it both on the internet and in periodicals and continue to visit the area every year...still no one to speak of so i think maybe you're a little off base on this one...AND ...it's not exactly a place you can just drive up on and enjoy; it takes some effort.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by choyero
Quote:

If there weren't crowds there before, there will be now. That is what happens when you tell everyone on the internet where the "best" fishin' holes are. :?::?::?:

When you go there next and there are crowds, remember to pat yourself on the back.

fishin' is like surfing, keep your the "best" areas private.

bajasuzie, please disregard any info that I gave you on this forum even though all I said was that there weren't big crowds there. It is, after all a secret location known only to mulegemichael and me.....and now, unfortunately, the rest of the world.

Guess I might as well check this "never to be mentioned again" place off my list of fishing holes, it's probably elbow to elbow by now anyway:lol::lol::lol:

Cardon Man
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 03:47 PM

Quote:

Yeah, we're talking about the same spot. Have you not seen a movie called "Running down the man"? Check it out on youtube. Thanks to that movie, you probably won't have the lighthouse to yourself ever again during May or June. I counted 20 anglers there one day last spring...lawn chairs and tents and the whole 9 yards.
Choyero speaks words of wisdom.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man
Quote:

Yeah, we're talking about the same spot. Have you not seen a movie called "Running down the man"? Check it out on youtube. Thanks to that movie, you probably won't have the lighthouse to yourself ever again during May or June. I counted 20 anglers there one day last spring...lawn chairs and tents and the whole 9 yards.
Choyero speaks words of wisdom.

baja has over 2,000 miles of coastline. i am sure you can still find a patch of beach with fish and no people.

go west, young man! (or go east too!)
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 04:07 PM

Quote:
AND ...it's not exactly a place you can just drive up on and enjoy; it takes some effort.

Actually, it's really pretty easy to access. Furthermore, a lot of drive in beach access has been lost up by La Ribera thanks to the marina project. This has pushed most of the visiting anglers into the same few spots.
Also, A number of gringo fishing guides from the states bring their clients from back home during the spring to fish the beach. Of course, they all have work visas. :lol:
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 04:44 PM

Well, there you have it mike, the place is ruined and we only have ourselves to blame......think I'll go open a vein........dt

karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 06:10 PM

Steve Jansen is the go to person when it comes to surf fishing in the Los Cabos area. A real nice guy that enjoys talking fishing...anytime with anyone. He can tell you where to go and what fish are being caught daily.

http://www.jansen.mx/jnsn/eng/nosotros.php
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 06:13 PM

Just slightly off the original issue, but with the mention of La Playita...

We used to stay at the little hotel of the same name, and hire pangas from the beach out in front.

The huge new development, with the marina and stuff caused us to stay away.

Is the little hotel still open and operating? And are there still pangas on that beach.

As I recall, it was the developer of Cabo Real that did that new huge development out there, and we just couldn't bring ourselves to go check it out. The old La Playita was an almost hidden gem, just minutes away from the bustle of San Jose.
choyero
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
i have been visiting this area and fishing it for 30 years now...in that time, i have probably written AT LEAST a dozen articles about it both on the internet and in periodicals and continue to visit the area every year...still no one to speak of so i think maybe you're a little off base on this one...AND ...it's not exactly a place you can just drive up on and enjoy; it takes some effort.

Your not related to david k are you?
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by karenintx
Steve Jansen is the go to person when it comes to surf fishing in the Los Cabos area. A real nice guy that enjoys talking fishing...anytime with anyone. He can tell you where to go and what fish are being caught daily.

Stephen is a wealth of information. And his shop is very well stocked with anything you might need for surf fishing the Los Cabos area.
moogie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2011 at 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Just slightly off the original issue, but with the mention of La Playita...

We used to stay at the little hotel of the same name, and hire pangas from the beach out in front.

The huge new development, with the marina and stuff caused us to stay away.

Is the little hotel still open and operating? And are there still pangas on that beach.

As I recall, it was the developer of Cabo Real that did that new huge development out there, and we just couldn't bring ourselves to go check it out. The old La Playita was an almost hidden gem, just minutes away from the bustle of San Jose.

The hotel has had a make over and there's a tackle shop. I think new owners too. No more pangas on the beach. It's all developed. the pangas are in slips. There's a launching ramp too.
Can't stop development.
Moog
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.