Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: TW Lost Mission Trip
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 10:46 AM
TW Lost Mission Trip

Lost Mission:

Danger, mystery, Lust and greed combine for travels into the unknown bowels of a faraway place. Three pieces of silver yet to be paid. This all started at the request of an unknown Texan nobody knows or has seen. His code name Elbeau, nicknamed Elbow by a goat. While analyzing piles of data from maps, books and satellite photos has determined something is amiss in a remote location of Baja, California, Mexico. A preliminary exploration only peaked his senses and after much prodding enlisted the help of several Baja explorers and myth busters. Being one of a group of eight, better known as the dirty eight, my story begins on the morning of Thursday April 28th.

It is another beautiful day in southern California as I leave Hemet with my brother Bill for the drive to Tijuana and the border. At the border there is some question about my fire wood and I’m told never to bring that type again or I will be turned around. She was a beautiful guard, all smiles as I said Si and took off. The gold coast of northeastern Baja was alive with action. Fishermen and surfers filled the water. We pass thru the rich farming communities of Colonet, Camalu and San Quintin. Past the huge tomatoe operation near Santa Maria. In the historic town of El Rosario we stop for lunch at Mamma Espinosa’s. She is known as the matriarch of Baja. While there we meet another member of the dirty eight, DT. He would spend the night in town and join us the next day at the camp site. We push on and make the turn for the onyx mine of El Marmol. On past the mine and into the the arroyo of El Volcan. We are greeted by two more of our fellow explorers, dirty eight members Phil and Lou. We unload and setup camp as night is soon coming. We are all a little tired of the long days drive and hit the sack a little earlier than usual.

Friday morning brings a cool breeze and warm sun light over the mountains. We have a light breakfast and prepare for a side trip to the old mine of La Olvidada, spelled Olividada on some maps and the almanac. The road in had been reported to be washed out and our mission was to fix it if possible. We also were to scout an area where satellite photos show an unusual large X shape on the ground. First to the mine. Phil and I have brought our motorcycles. Lou brought his 4x4 ATV but much to his dismay the right front tire has been cut from bouncing over the rough Baja roads and rubbing on the trailer tire. To his delight the side walls have enough strength that he is able to ride it as is. Bill is driving my Toyota Tacoma. So off to the mine we go 2x2, two on MCs and two in/on 4 wheelers. We make a brief stop in the area of the X but see nothing unusual. The road has been recently graded and a couple of times there is a junction with two roads which come together later as we discovered. The road is completed to the mine and is just over six miles. There is recent digging in the area. From the mine area we can see the Sea of Cortez and several islands. After looking over the area and taking pictures we start back.

About four miles from the mine or two miles from the El Volcan arroyo we stop at the coordinates where the X should be. Again nothing unusual is seen. Phip and Lou return to the camp site in case other dirty eight members have arrived. Bill and I walk over the ground and notice that only in that section of hills has Elephant trees. The hills/mountains to the left and right do not, nor is there any behind us on the other side of the road. The area we are at is several hundred feet wide of the trees. After studying it for a while we both conclude that the large X seen in the satellite pictures is an area of Elephant trees growing in shape of an X. The ground itself is no different in color but the tree bark is lighter and we believe from space it gives the appearance seen as the X. We are open to suggestions but for now that’s our conclusion.

We start back to camp and a short distance from the arroyo we stop to check out another mystery Elbeau (Elbow) ask about. His question why did a small area look blue in satellite pictures and gray from the ground. At first glance I thought it was an area that had been on fire. It covers both side of the road. A closer look shows it to be rock, a dark shale like rock.

Back at camp we’re running out of ice so Bill and I go to Catavina for ice and other drinks. On our way back we meet up with David K, Vern and Bajacat (Jose). Soon we are in camp and DT Bushpilot arrives to complete the dirty eight team. After dinner a fire pit is made and we settle in to discuss the days explorations and plans for tomorrow among other things only men of adventure would discuss in the wilds of Baja. The night cools down and the wind picks up. The howl of the wind leaves sounds as if to tell us to beware, the risks may be great. It’s a restless night with the anxiety of tomorrows arduous walk and the possibility of what may be there.

To be continued. Photos to follow.
Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 11:55 AM

Good tale so far, thanks!

Brian
elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 12:01 PM

Great tale! X-shaped elephant tree formation? Didn't see that coming. Thx!
Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 01:35 PM

I am noting the lack of details on the actual "lost Mission" from DavidK's and this post. I think we are being snookered into thinking somehting big is about to be divulged!

Brian
elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian L
I am noting the lack of details on the actual "lost Mission" from DavidK's and this post. I think we are being snookered into thinking somehting big is about to be divulged!

Methinks games are afoot! A vast conspiracy involving at least 8 nomads...but I owe those nomads my thanks, so I won't swear out warrants against them just yet. After making such a trip at my prodding, if they think I deserve a little mental torture then I'll indulge them;D
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 02:32 PM

definitely we want to read more !!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 05:16 PM

God stuff TW! Here are the nine photos you sent me and asked me to add here:

La Olvidada Mine

Phil at Olvidada mine

Islands from Ovidada mine

X area

Creature in X area

Wash on the road

Shale area

Shale-2

Shale-3

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 05:52 PM

Hmmm - reminds me of Al Caopnes vault and Hiraldo Rivera - glad you guys checked it out though.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 06:23 PM

that creature looks scary!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 07:02 PM

TW - From your narrative, it appears that we might have missed you in El Rosario by about 3 hours or so. Bummer!

[Edited on 5-5-2011 by Ken Cooke]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.