BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: La Ultima Baja Grande 4WD - Days 4-7 [BOLA/Cataviņa/El Rosario/Golden Triangle]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 07:10 PM
La Ultima Baja Grande 4WD - Days 4-7 [BOLA/Cataviņa/El Rosario/Golden Triangle]

Our crew rolled into the Bahia de los Angeles.

After getting our sole nights' accomodations in order (since it was too hot to set up camp) Leidys and I went for a drive around BOLA for some exploring.

We happened upon our very own portion of paradise - with a view!

[img]http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/226305_2054991133282_1199685860_2544579_553481_n.jpg
[/img]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 07:16 PM
The BOLA Museum

At dusk, we decided to check out the Museum in town. It was closed, but the mining equipment outside was able to be viewed.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 07:27 PM

Later that evening, we stopped by the Pemex station near the Glorieta (roundabout), and paid for our Motel. These fishermen drove up, asking if we wanted the catch of the day from the bed of their pickup truck.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 07:31 PM
Leaving BOLA

After a comfortable night's sleep at Costa del Sol, we prepared for a long day. Little did we know, that this would be a 13 hour day - including 7 hours spent off-road!

Leidys was all smiles in this picture, but by the end of the day, her back would be in nudos.:no:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 07:36 PM
$6 Gas in Chapala

This poor man deserves an inexpensive syphon hose to save his health.:!:

I had paid him $6/gallon in order to top off before reaching Cataviņa. The other guys filled their mini cans, storing them inside of their Jeeps where the fumes bothered them to no end!

Our Gasolinero:no:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 07:42 PM
Rancho Santa Ynez

After discussing Rancho Santa Ynez's accomodations with David K, I decided to see exactly what was offered in this remote rancho in the Valle de los Cirios. A woman watering her plants quickly put down her garden hose and put on an apron. She proved to be the restaurant cook and a darn good one!

Parked at the Rancho

Leidys filled up on Huevos Rancheros - her only meal until 8 p.m. that night.:lol:

Jerry sat down and took a break before the arduous trip into the backcountry.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 07:46 PM
"Mission Impossible" Strike's Back!

It wasn't that the trail was any more difficult than it normally is. It was that I was driving on an improvised shock pin holding the right rear of my Jeep suspension in place. My cooling system was sort of working, and the other two Jeeps were waiting for the perfect moment to give us all grief.

I noticed that the cactii were all green as if rains provided sustaining waters to these desert flora.

I was about to do battle with the rocks!:bounce:

Jerry following closely behind.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 07:53 PM
The Battle Has Begun!

The Sea of Cortez - Punta Final (from the Mission Santa Maria trail)

As I snapped this photo, a call went out over the CB radio that something was wrong. Jerry was turning back to go for help - his Fuel Pump was malfunctioning. But, he was stuck, because Aaron had just blown a bead on his tire, and would have to change tires.

I told Leidys that we would snap some fast pictures, and leave the swamp area of the Mission trail - 1 mile from the Mission, and return to help our stranded friends.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 07:55 PM

Jerry needed to be pulled up the series of waterfalls along the trail. Here, his Jeep is nudged into position to be towed.

Aaron drove in front.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 07:57 PM

The drive back was a frantic one with Jerry dueling with his fuel system to stay operable. This fuel pump problem had been an ongoing one for his 2000 Wrangler.

Leidys and I were able to take our time returning to the Highway. But, as nightfall came upon us, our pace picked up...

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 08:19 PM
Returning North

At the Los Pinos Pemex, we were able to get some cash in order to add some gas to the tank.

We were amazed at the volume of agricultural operations in this area.

The turnoff to the Sierra San Pedro Martir Park

I plan on taking Leidys to Rancho Meling in the future.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 08:24 PM
Ensenada

Leidys was intrigued by the Colleges in the Ensenada area.

She was also impressed by the Military buildings near our Motel where we stayed one night.

But, the most impressive in this city was La Bufadora!:bounce:

My Parents had taken me here over the years, so I thought Leidys might enjoy this sidetrip.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 08:29 PM

Leidys told me that this visit to La Bufadora made her feel so happy! I thought it was little more than a tourist trap, but after sitting through "Mission Impossible" with me 1 day earlier, I felt it was her turn to have some breathtaking moments.

Although, it felt like I was already stuck back in San Diego (by the number of tourists we walked with to this attraction), Leidys said she felt like she was in Las Vegas!:o She meant this as a compliment.:lol:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 08:33 PM
COLOMBIA en Playas de Rosarito!

Traveling up Hwy 1 into Rosarito Beach, we spotted some Colombia flags on the free road, so we took the first exit at the AM/PM, and going South a short distance, we happened upon this new Colombia restaurant!!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 08:36 PM
...as Juanes played on the soundsystem, we dined on Colombian food in Baja!

The shredded Chicken Arepanos were OUT OF THIS WORLD! At 30 Pesos each, I ate 3. You have to try them with the Cilantro salsa!

Leidys had Bandeja Paisa - She said it was amazing.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 08:43 PM
Welcome to TIJUANA!

Visiting friends in Tijuana was a must. Chris was the first fourwheeler that I tackled Mission Impossible with (along with Jeeper Brad Green). So, we had to visit him and tell him about the trip.

The neighborhood kids are now grown up, and are all teenagers. So, we checked to see if they remembered us. Thanks to Facebook, the answer is "Yes".:lol:

New Puppies!! :bounce:

Raquel and Michelle let me play with their new Pooch. This doggie was only 4 weeks old!

Raquel now goes to a local University, while Michelle is now in Secundaria.

Miguel has one of the sibling Puppies

...That's all folks!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 09:22 PM

Very nice! I would like to try that Colombian food!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2011 at 09:14 AM

Wow that was an adventure. Great food, beautiful weather and good friends make for a wonderful trip. Thanks for sharing.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2011 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Very nice! I would like to try that Colombian food!!

The food was great. Those Chicken Arepas resembled shreded Chicken inside of Pita bread with a Cilantro sauce that was incredible. This restaurant definitely was the icing on the cake with regard to our vacation.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-5-2011 at 06:35 PM

I am ready, let's go! Hey... where is CG in your photos? Did he play his Didge at all! What a great night around the campfire at Mision Santa Maria last may!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.