Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Tourist Card Info Straight from the Authorities
fatoldcapt
Junior Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 5-10-2011 at 01:12 PM
Tourist Card Info Straight from the Authorities

After a recent trip down South, the matter of what to do with the Toutist Card came up once again. So I e-mailed the Secretary of Tourism Office. I received a reply from "HHiguera@baja.gob.mx"

Good morning Mr. Stephens

Regarding you question, you have to return the form to the Immigration office that is in Mexican Costumes in Tijuana B.C.. What you can do is:

1.- There are several parking lots in that area, and you are able to walk to Mexican customs.

2.- You can send your immigration form to our State Secretariat of Tourism P.O. Box #2448 Chula Vista Ca. Zip. 91912, and we happily can deliver it to Immigration ( We call the Immigration office and they told us that you don't have to return it personally).

Thank you for visiting our great State of Baja California.

also from "mcronaf@baja.gob.mx"

Dear Sir,

It is our pleasure, the permits can be returned in any Mexican Immigration office, on the entrance of San Ysidro or Otay International Border, and the only way that this can happen , is like you were saying, parking on the US side and walking across to the office, and reenter the US on foot

The offices are on the bridge Puerta Mexico, which goes to the International Border Mexico- US side, public hours are from 09:00 to 13:00 hrs.
Tel. 01 (664) 682 98 62, and the permit can be delivered to any officer on duty.

I hope that this can help you,
Sincerely

[Edited on 5-10-2011 by fatoldcapt]

Dave
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 5-10-2011 at 01:29 PM
Unbelieeevable

Walk back across to turn in the visa? Are they out of their frickin minds?

If it makes you feel better go ahead and turn in your FMM.

If they want return business they should at least make the effort to put in a box at the border.

fatoldcapt
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 01:45 PM

The good news is this:

2.- You can send your immigration form to our State Secretariat of Tourism P.O. Box #2448 Chula Vista Ca. Zip. 91912, and we happily can deliver it to Immigration ( We call the Immigration office and they told us that you don't have to return it personally).
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 01:54 PM

Not that it matters, but I wonder why they would want them back? They don't care who down here has one anyway.
I guess it's just a way to try and show full control without getting up off their butts and doing their job like they should.
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 01:56 PM

I guess I am a little thick or air headed, can someone explain why the visas need to be returned when we are finished with them? Thanks in advance for answering this question.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 02:06 PM
BECAUSE ITS THE LAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by 24baja
I guess I am a little thick or air headed, can someone explain why the visas need to be returned when we are finished with them? Thanks in advance for answering this question.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
[BECAUSE ITS THE LAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Total BS. If it were a law, we would have heard by now of somebody, anybody being penalized for their infraction of not returning it.

OK...anybody here ever hear of one repurcussion from not returning the visa? Just one? Didn't the INM computer throw out a red flag when someone who crap-canned their visa applied for another in the future?

BS again. If there were laws broken, someone would be here to explain the penalty.
Some of you have been beaten senseless by over-regulation.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fatoldcapt
After a recent trip down South, the matter of what to do with the Toutist Card came up once again. So I e-mailed the Secretary of Tourism Office.

interesting experiment!
have you tried sending an email to the immigration department? curious to hear what they say...

reminds me of the lazlo letters
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 03:48 PM

IF? they are registered in the INS computer system, it shows you are still in Mexico and they won't want to issue you another next time.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
IF? they are registered in the INS computer system, it shows you are still in Mexico and they won't want to issue you another next time.

I've never heard of that happening, Lou. Have you?
Arn't all FMM in the computer?
If what you say is correct, there must be some sort of fine to pay and be issued another card, but I've never even once heard of this happening. I can't begin to imagine the government, or someone working for them, would overlook an opportunity to impose a fine when one is called for.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 04:02 PM

I haven't heard of the problem yet, Dennis, but this FMM is fairly new so I'm thinking they are just gearing up on it. They say for 6 months only so must be something if you show you've overstayed.

BTW my wife stopped to get her FMM in March and showed her application for the FMT from last year. It hadn't been stamped at the bank and she had to pay both years before they would issue the FMM for this spring.

I would have handled it differently, but it was hers so I didn't get involved.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
They say for 6 months only so must be something if you show you've overstayed.

I honestly believe they're still using the "Honor System." The issue just doesn't seem to be that important to them since most tourists go by the book. It's a self-enforcing program.

Quote:

BTW my wife stopped to get her FMM in March and showed her application for the FMT from last year. It hadn't been stamped at the bank and she had to pay both years before they would issue the FMM for this spring.

I would have handled it differently, but it was hers so I didn't get involved.

Yeah....that's what she gets for volunteering to pay. Just don't let her do your taxes. :lol:

fatoldcapt
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 04:21 PM

A few weeks ago we went through Immigration Office at Mexicali to get out Tourist Cards. There were only 5 of us and there was no line. It took about 20 minutes. The reason was, they entered our information in a computer. THIS WAS SOMETHING NEW!!!

So with thoughts that there might be some future problem if we didn't turn them in, we made every effort to comply.

We go down fishing a few times every summer. I worry that because of some unresonable bureaucratic nightmare I might not be able to enter the next time I visit the Immigration Office for a Tourist Permit.

That's why I wrote them. To explain about the poor system they have in place.

But, all is not crap! The reply I posted in full (above, see option #2) included for the first time, that we may mail the damn things back.

That works for me!

mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 04:46 PM

Quote:

But, all is not crap! The reply I posted in full (above, see option #2) included for the first time, that we may mail the damn things back.

That works for me!

Actually an address to mail the FMMs back has been posted several times in the past. I posted on May 2, 2011 an address that I have mailed my wife's back to for several years. I believe it is also the address Discover Baja gives out if you get your FMM through them. The address you give is better in that it is in the USA so the postage is less. Thanks for the post. Jim
cabobaja
Nomad

Mood: Smiling

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 05:02 PM

After 35 years of going back and forth....have never returned a visa. Now that I'm a citizen, I could care less. Via Mexico!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 05:13 PM

I suggest you keep your expired fmm. Then return the expired fmm at same time you apply for the new fmm.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
I suggest you keep your expired fmm. Then return the expired fmm at same time you apply for the new fmm.

That sounds like "begging for trouble."
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

That sounds like "begging for trouble."

no, it doesn't rhyme at all
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 06:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by 24baja

Thanks so much for your response, I really appreciate it. However, I read and hear just fine there was no need for the rude shout!!!!!! Have a nice day, Connie
burnrope
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 06:20 PM

From what I've gathered on other readings of posts on this website regarding tourist cards is that they are good for six months per year. Now that they have computers they're keeping track of them(in theory). My understanding is that when you turn it in it stops the clock, until your next visit, then you start the clock again and I don't know how that works, if you've turned it in you're depending on them to find it again to start the clock. The reason for this is to make people that stay for more than six months per year get the proper immigration paperwork, which is a FMT or something like that. Being Mexico, I'd imagine that it will be a cluster f*ck for some people, but then you'll only have to grease some palms and it will all work out. BTW, I've never gotten a tourist card in the 13 years that I've been dirt biking in Baja.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.