Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The best place to buy meat in San Felipe
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2011 at 07:51 AM
The best place to buy meat in San Felipe

Having a beach party Memorial Day Weekend at Shell Beach and want to make some carne asada.

Any suggestions on the best place to buy the meat?

DJ's, Pelicano's, Vaquita?

Tanks
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 5-13-2011 at 08:00 AM

We believe that DJ's has the best meat. All the cuts are wrapped in plastic in the case. They even have smoked pork chops.
Donjulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2011 at 08:28 AM

I would agree with Rob when it comes to meat...except for the carne asada. That I would definitely buy at La Vaquita 3 and have them do the seasonings.
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2011 at 08:52 AM

Si, order carne asada preparado.
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2011 at 07:48 AM

Ok, I went down this last weekend and I went to the Pelicano near The Rio Colorado/Juanito's and they had some great carne that you can purchase and they will pre marinate it for you. it was $65p per kilo and very tasty. So I think we are good. However, I think I will buy some from each of the suggestions that everyone left and do a taste test with all of my friends.
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2011 at 09:13 AM

Didn't we go through the best meat in San Felipe routine a couple of months ago? :?:
The markets, Vaquita 3, Pelicano, Hippon and Z Market all get their meat from the yellow meat store just south of the toll road overpass on Hwy5 just below Mexicali. Considered the best by some.:yes:
I bought a Filet Mignon from DJ several months ago and could have made a pair of shoes with it.:barf:
When DJ was still the "Horse Market" the meat was supreme, but since DJ took over, to me, it went downhill.:no:
Donjulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2011 at 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge
Didn't we go through the best meat in San Felipe routine a couple of months ago? :?:
The markets, Vaquita 3, Pelicano, Hippon and Z Market all get their meat from the yellow meat store just south of the toll road overpass on Hwy5 just below Mexicali. Considered the best by some.:yes:
I bought a Filet Mignon from DJ several months ago and could have made a pair of shoes with it.:barf:
When DJ was still the "Horse Market" the meat was supreme, but since DJ took over, to me, it went downhill.:no:

Actually don't know if this is correct information. When I got deliveries for the food bank they were coming from a supplier in Ensenada.

They had cases of meat on the truck for Vaquita and Hippon/Pelicano and a few other markets. Which by the way were not refrigerated half the time. Several times I had chicken juice that had leaked onto the flour bags and I had to decline the deliveries.

I ate a lot of meat and when it came to Ribeyes and Filets DJ's always had better quality.
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 08:45 AM

I can only repeat the rumors that I hear in the hot tub. The other bit of meat info is that the meat supplied to San Felipe is from cattle raised in the State of Sonora.:?::light:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 01:30 PM
Mercado Baja ?

Or, whatever the current name is. it changes often.

Across the street and North of the Miramar Bar.

WHATEVER you want, they've got.

I was in there one day and asked for a couple of Rib-Eyes. The Butcher pulled out a hunk of beef and cut two off. Before I left, another customer asked for New York cuts, the Butcher pulled out the same piece and cut them off.

It DOES save space.
Larana

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 03:21 PM

When I was last in Mercado Baja, probably February, there was no longer any meat or fresh vegetables. Maybe it has changed since then?
bajatravelergeorge
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 06:22 PM

San Felipe meat = shoe leather! Get your meat in Mexicali.
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajatravelergeorge
San Felipe meat = shoe leather! Get your meat in Mexicali. [/q

Geeze, you obviously don't get it. We have have eaten filets in many countries but none better than right here in San Felipe.

uote]

[Edited on 5-18-2011 by BajaRob]
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2011 at 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajatravelergeorge
San Felipe meat = shoe leather! Get your meat in Mexicali.

That sounds like the yellow butcher shop on Hwy5 just south of the toll road overpass.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-18-2011 at 09:06 AM

Awwwwwwwwwww, just buy it at Costco in Mexicali or El Centro on your way down or have your guests pick it up

BajaErin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 06:16 PM

We've bought fillet mignon from the Z market in San Felipe for years.... always great. Wifey bought carne asada seasoned from there her last trip a week ago and said it was also good.

In fact, we used to buy the whole fillet (mignon) and slice it up into smaller packages for freezing and taking home. Price was in the $6-$8 range I think per pound. It was/is always referred to as fillet, so when we crossed the border we would declare shrimp and fillet. Now we know better and haven't brought back the steaks for almost a year.

Last time I was in San Felipe in March, when we went to the Z market, the let us know that they did not have fresh fillet but rather frozen. We got it, and had them slice it into big ole' chunks that we defrosted and BBQ'd that night for six people. All was wonderfull and enjoyed by all. We have been told previously that the meat was from/supplied by a place in Mexicali (guessing the yellow place mentioned above).

Just my 2 cents
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 08:02 PM

Well the weekend went well, except for a small hole in my timing chain cover on my 88 Bronco, so we were limited for a few days, but was still able to go jet skiing and had about 24 folks over for a great cook out.

We decided on La Vaquita for the carna and it was great. We purchased 6 Kilos. I grilled half in my gas grill and half over mesquite on my Weber. Both ways the meat was perfect. I think that it was slightly thicker than the meat at Pelicano's.
bajatravelergeorge
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 08:22 PM

Thanks for the update.
viabaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2011 at 10:04 AM

Claro que si - Rib-eye, Nuevo York - todo es mismo!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.