BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Pompano - RV Trip: BAJA - UP NORTH.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 04:35 AM

Perhaps Santa Inez was charging per person?
deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 06:31 AM

Looks like Richmond San Rafael Bridge!
deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 06:36 AM

You were looking at the bay bridge from the Richmond San rafeal bridge. Going by Berkeley and heading to Tracy on 580 and Hiway 5. That sign indicates Walnut creek where I live.
Barbarosa
Nomad

Mood: "On th' road again..."

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by deportes
You were looking at the bay bridge from the Richmond San rafeal bridge. Going by Berkeley and heading to Tracy on 580 and Hiway 5. That sign indicates Walnut creek where I live.

Good eye on the view of The *Oakland* Bay Bridge (there's no pic of the Gate, even in the distance). And they're heading west on I-580 (toward US 101 north), not east. They'd past near Tracy previously, on the way in.

Interesting little fact about Red Rock (just off the Richmond Bridge). It'll win you a bar bet every time!

"What is the northernmost point in San Francisco?"

Yup. Find it on a map. Pretty curious.

(Yup, the pix are great! <g>)

Barbarosa
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 08:23 AM
Questions/comments

Time to answer some of your questions and comments:

(I hope you don't mind if I run off at the mouth a bit by doing this.)

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Roger,

Were'nt you having solar panels installed on a fiver?

I was looking forward to the details.

???????

Ken

Ken, I decided on 4 130w Kyocera panels mounted on an adjustable rooftop carrier, 4500w inverter, controller, 5kw same-fuel genset, sat internet/tv, and a couple other goodies. Should be a good camper for some far-north fishing trips this summer in Canada. I've been planning some details for that rig...like installing a strong boat hitch to the rear frame of the fiver to pull my walleye boat behind. This combo makes it easy to explore several surrounding lakes from a main lake base camp. Also a gravel gaurd on the boat bow for those rough roads Up North.

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Andersen's.... back in the day... $1.25 for all the soup & bread you could eat plus one glass of wine.

Wow...Russ, just a tiny glass of vino these days would probably be a sawbuck?

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBruno
Roger, your photo 7 is Red Rock with the Bay Bridge in the background, and 8 seems to be the Dumbarton Bridge, which would make sense since it runs right alongside the Dumbarton, but it has more lanes---is that a photo from this trip?

Sure is, BajaBruno...all the photos I will post on this trip report will be current ones, unless I add an older one as further info on the subject photo.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Lots of great snap shots Roger! Love'n it!

Thanks, Bob...no more than me! I always love to “See the USA…”

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
Perhaps Santa Inez was charging per person?

No Packoderm, the owners came out in thier car to make the rounds collecting the campground fees. The elderly senora stated it was 80 pesos per vehicle. Don't know why they don't change the sign at the entrance. :rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbarosa
Quote:
Originally posted by deportes

Good eye on the view of The *Oakland* Bay Bridge (there's no pic of the Gate, even in the distance). And they're heading west on I-580 (toward US 101 north), not east. They'd past near Tracy previously, on the way in.

Interesting little fact about Red Rock (just off the Richmond Bridge). It'll win you a bar bet every time!

"What is the northernmost point in San Francisco?"

Yup. Find it on a map. Pretty curious.

(Yup, the pix are great! <g>;)

Good info from both of you..thanks. I was too busy watching traffic to take better photos. Hah..that's an interesting factoid about Red Rock island..will keep that in mind alongside Cape Flattery, Wa. ;)

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 08:34 AM

As others, I'm hoping to "see" your trip this year too... and thanks so much for the pictures, it's been a long while since I've seen some of that country...

You have a safe trip ...

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 07:03 PM
The Redwood Elk Campground - Hwy 101

Got an early enough start out of Ukiah …meaning by 10 am. Hey, who wants to spend the best part of the day driving? Got to greet the sunrise with a hot cuppa Joe, make some breakfast, check tires, engine, unhook the hookups, curl up the awning, play with the neighbors lab who has been watching me, wagging his tail & slobbering all over his leash.

Finally, a hot shower & shave…..Then it was time to hit 101 North again. And just so you know, I am on the Redwood Highway.

I roll through the pleasant town of Willits…in the land of the giant redwoods.

Some of my best moments on these Road Trips are the Americana photo-ops you come across…like this picturesque old highway bridge. Let’s hope it’s in solid shape and not on any ‘list’ for demolition as are so many scattered around our nation.

This part of the coast forest has so many ferns…wish I could tell you what the name of this one is….guess I’ll just call it Nice Fern next to the Bridge. I had to park the MH and walk back about a half-mile for the 2 shots above…and it was well worth the hike.

Another example of early Americana Highways are these small rental bungalows …perfect for a couple of small family for a night or a week. Used to cost about $4 a night back in the day…probably $40-$50 now? Still a good deal for someone. I can just see the old family sedans parked alongside the cabins…maybe a Woody station wagon?

Getting past some of the road’s edge redwoods can be challenging. I see scrape marks on all the roadside ones….and so I hog the middle line with my extra-wide coach body. :rolleyes:

Take a good look at some of those dead redwoods…a good way to see just how tall they are. Those are not nearly the biggest, but are still 200 footers.

I love bridges…hoping you don’t mind if I post a few of them. It’s all about the waters below, which invites me to see what fishes lurk in them.

Shades of the “Smokey hiding in the bushes” A lot of small places are placing these old police cruisers out near the highway. Tends to slow down a few, I suppose?

Ah…who can resist these tourist traps? Well, most of us, I expect. I think a lot of international visitors stop here and spend mucho dinero…seeing as how the dollars are so cheap nowadays!

Need a redwood clock carving, some wooden earrings, a bear for your driveway?

Any object in your imagination can be carved for you.

Here’s a thought I just had for any and all hunters, bird watchers, and nature lovers. Lots of these small, but well-stocked outdoor shops exist in towns in the country…mostly featuring hunting and fishing gear, one can also find bird books, fine binoculars, bug nets, collection cases, and all kinds of outdoor paraphenalia.

Welcome to small town Main Street, USA… downtown! How about that view for nostalgia? Reminds of the closest town we used to shop when growing up. Never used cash, just charged it and paid at the end of the month.

I saw that prominentary called Patrick’s Point and pulled into the State Beach park located there. Unfortunately, there were no waterfront RV sites available. No hookups, either, although that fact didn’t bother me. Rate was $45 per night for waterfront sites. I moved on…in the hopes of finding a site further up the coast. Not a big deal, since it was only about 3 pm…lots of time to make camp.

A nice lady at this park visitor center gave me some good advice and directed me up the road to an elk park that had RV sites...

I came upon it within about 3 miles…the ELK were a dead giveaway. :rolleyes:

Stone Lagoon RV Park, Hwy 101. I was met at the entrance and guided by this gent on a bike to great site with a view of the horses, elk, and also a clear shot at the satellite for my DirecTV! Now what could be better??

Horses in the foreground...Elk in the background. They get along quite well in the same pasture...respecting thier mutual boundaries. Isn't that a refreshing thought?

I had full hookups, a very un-crowded site, picnic table, a fireplace, and a lovely view. Uh…I should mention the elk & horses do wander thru the campgrounds at certain times…and seeing as how elk & horses graze a lot, that causes them to void a lot…so watch where you’re walking!

All that for $27. I think it was a very, very good deal. Thanks again to the nice gal at the state park visitor’s center for the recommendation. Now I’m passing it along to you. Stone Lagoon RV Park, Hwy 101, about 20 miles north of Trinadad.

[Edited on 5-25-2011 by Pompano]

bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 07:10 PM

I'm enjoying your trip, Roger, vicariously, of course. Are you up for any side trips, or are you on a mission?

Allen R

Ooops, forgot to mention that we're outta here Tuesday, crack of dawn (Say, has anyone ever heard that 'crack'?) for a trip and will be w/out internet for ten days, so won't be able to track your trip for that time.

[Edited on 5-15-2011 by bufeo]

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2011 at 07:30 AM
Good Morning All..

Am up and having Fox&Friends/coffee with some guests here at the Stone Lagoon RV Park.

I may run out of cream and sugar. ;)

Some coffee conversation for you...

I was visiting with some other campers, who turned out to be seasonal residents of the park. When I asked about all the vacancies left at this nice park, they told me that it was always like this until the summer season. Then it was full for the summer and early fall. I had lucked out to find the place with so much open space.

A bit chilly again this morning... 48 and overcast... but I'm getting used to it and can always run the coach heaters to warm things up.

Think of cold and elk, here's an ancedote that came to mind.

I recall late season tent camping on elk hunts in the Canadian Rockies when our tent's only heat was a barrel stove. Before turning in for the night, we got that barrel really blazing hot....cherry red...but it only lasted for a hour or so. Towards dawn, someone had to scamper out of bed and restart the fire, then jump back into your bag to wait for the heat to spread out into the big tent.

Soon...You were blazing hot on the side facing the stove..and frostbite cold on your other side...so you kept turning over and back, over and back...like being a human rotisseri.

Hey, I just listened to a bit of interesting news. One of the poll-rated front runners for US President has announced he will not run .. because of spiritual reasons. Refreshing... so rare these days...faith over politics.

Today's wandering will most likely put me some miles further up the coast....OR into the mountains northeast of here. Will know when I get to an intersection. :rolleyes:

Either way, I'll find another campground to tell you about...and maybe some more Road Trip America trivia. :yes:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2011 at 07:36 AM

Beautiful country up there, Roger. Looks like you found some Hot-Toddy weather to go along with it.
Thanks.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2011 at 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Beautiful country up there, Roger. Looks like you found some Hot-Toddy weather to go along with it.
Thanks.

Excellent Idea, Dennis...I'll have a hot brandy tonight with my campfire.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2011 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Excellent Idea, Dennis...I'll have a hot brandy tonight with my campfire.

In my fifteen years as a bartender, I made a million Hot-Toddys, half of those for myself. I still make them regularly today.

Brandy....one shot of your favorite size

Sweet + Sour [ Margarita mix] same size shot

Fill the cup with hot water.

Throw in a twist if you want to pretend you're in a classy joint.

I'm sure there are countless other recipes, but this one's simple and good.

SALUD
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2011 at 09:50 AM

My favorite hot toddy;
1 shot of Brandy
I shot of Kahlua
1 cup of hot coffee
And don't forget the your favorite creamer !! :biggrin:

[Edited on 5-15-2011 by Diver]
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2011 at 06:07 PM

9:00 AM - 45F

1:00 PM - 47F

6:00 PM - 44F

IT'S TIME...

Gracias, Ira.
Dennis, will buy some sweet/sour or marg mix manana and try yours then. I have a feeling this weather will hold....:D

p.s. This is the damnedest trip. Seems to be a deja vu kind of thing going on?? Maybe a different route manana...I'll toss a coin. Heads I go west...Tails I go east. :rolleyes:

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2011 at 07:52 PM

Somehow I knew we'd see the Coffee-mate ! :lol:
Also works great with hot cocoa for those who don't like coffee.
And with whip cream and shaved chocolate to impress the ladies.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2011 at 03:07 PM

Hi Pompano,

Somewhat new member here. I've been off work on medical leave for a couple of months and I can't go back until June so I've spent more time than usual reading these boards and keeping myself entertained, especially with these trip reports. Thank you for taking the time to post reports, pictures and sharing the trip, it's very much appreciated.

PS. You seem to be slacking, I haven't seen anything new today. ;D

Regards,

Mark
baronvonbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2011 at 04:31 PM

great pictures, is the co-pilot driving the Dodge?
Glad you are in the cold and not me. But one must admit it is gorgeous.
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2011 at 06:38 PM

In Chula Vista you can stay in a motel called the vagabandos for $45 or $50 and park your rv for free. Why would anyone pay $60 to a rip off KOA?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2011 at 06:49 PM
Crescent City Tsunami and Campground

Warning...historical detours prevail below...writer's license and all that stuff. ;)

Crescent City

I am going to enter some extra info on this terrific little seaside town…because it has been through so much in its history. This will involve a little background reporting, plus more current events.

I roll into Crescent City and find a town that has suffered a lot from natural and economic disasters.
The region has never recovered from the loss of the timber industry in the 1980s and 1990s, and downturns in salmon fishing.
It's going to be hard to recover here after the last tsunami on March 11, 2011.

To give this report a more personal flavor, here’s some local reporting of the recent tidal wave destruction to the area:

March 11, 2011. A series of powerful surges generated by the devastating earthquake in Japan arrived about 7:30 a.m. that day and pounded the harbor through the day and night. Eight boats were believed sunk and dozens of others damaged; an unmanned sailboat sucked out of the harbor ran aground on the coast.

About 20 miles south, the family of a 25-year-old Oregon man combed the beach looking for signs of him. Authorities say Dustin Weber was swept away as he and two friends photographed the waves.

"He just didn't respect the ocean and didn't understand the tsunami," his father, Jon Weber, said. "The (first surge) hit about 7:30. It was the second wave that hit at 9:30 that got him."

Back north in Crescent City, crews geared up for the enormous task of assessing and fixing the damage to the port, where a sheen of oil floated in the basin. Seagulls feasted on mussels exposed by upended docks. About 80 percent of the docks that once sheltered 140 boats were gone.

“Crescent City is what I call a tsunami magnet,” a local professor told the Associated Press after tsunami surges destroyed the harbor docks, sank 16 boats and damaged many others.

“When you look at the contiguous 48 states, there is no question that Crescent City has had more damage, and typically has the highest water levels recorded at any West Coast site, no matter where it comes from — whether it comes from Chile, or Alaska or Japan,” said the professor of geology and chairwoman of the Geology and Oceanography departments at Humboldt State University.

Since the 1930s, dozens of tsunamis have been recorded along our shores, and in the past 150 years no other community in the “Lower 48” has suffered more from them.

One factor that spared the harbor from even more damage was that the biggest March 11 surges arrived near low tide, keeping them within the confines of the breakwaters around the harbor.

That wasn’t the case during the tsunami of March 27-28, 1964, when four significant surges spawned from a mammoth Alaska earthquake hit Crescent City at high tide.

Eleven people were killed in Del Norte County, and Crescent City’s downtown was devastated. The killer fourth wave was believed to be a 22-footer, although a prior surge broke the harbor tide gauge.

By contast, the biggest March 11 surge was measured at 8.1 feet.

So, to what does Crescent City owe this dubious honor?

PLENTY OF REASONS
Experts say there are several reasons why Crescent City is particularly tsunami-prone, The local newspaper, The Triplicate, reported on this subject in 2009 when it published a six-part series on the 45th anniversary of the ’64 tidal waves.

There’s what is called a “Fickle Finger of Fate” that points at the North Coast. This is the Mendocino Fracture Zone, an underwater ridge that extends thousands of miles due west from Cape Mendocino.

This scar is visible in satellite images, and the sea floor directly north of the fracture zone is more shallow than it is to the south.

March 2011: Damaged boats are strewn across the Crescent City Harbor boat basin after the tsunami surges that sank 16 vessels. The Daily Triplicate/Bryant Anderson wrote: “Fishermen say going south across that boundary is like going into the deep end because the water drops so abruptly,” he said. “We actually get a slightly larger tsunami just north of Cape Mendocino rather then just south of it.”

A tsunami’s speed is a direct function of how deep the ocean is. The greater the depth, the faster the wave. As the tsunami hits shallow water approaching a coastline, friction causes the wave to slow down. And it doesn’t just tap on the brakes — both feet are down.

“You still can’t outrun it,” the newshound said, “but it’s going a lot slower.”

A tsunami that had been traveling almost as fast as a commercial jetliner in the deep ocean slows to 25-30 mph when it reaches shore. This change in speed “causes the water to bunch up because that fast-moving water behind it catches up to it.”

The shallower ocean depth north of the Mendocino Fracture Zone means a tsunami’s amplitude will be larger than in other parts of California.

“That actually acts as a wave guide, it concentrates the wave energy. We just basically have a bigger incoming wave from almost any other place in the Pacific along the Northern California Coast.”

Further funneling the impact of a tsunami toward Crescent City, is the shape of our portion of the continental shelf.

California’s northern coastline resembles a backward C-shape from Crescent City down to Cape Mendocino. Inside of this is another curve between Point St. George in Del Norte County and Patrick’s Point in Humboldt County.

“Our shelf seems to be kind of bowl-shaped,” quoted from reporter, “Energy sort of gets trapped and that’s why the tsunami tends to last a long time.”

Another multiplying factor locally is the position of our harbor and the natural bend of our beach that gives Crescent City its name.

“It’s this crescent-shaped bay that again tends to amplify the tsunami energy. The natural geometry of the harbor seems to welcome tsunamis from all directions.”

Then there’s the manmade design of the harbor. After the ’64 tsunami, Crescent City built a rectangular boat basin. It’s good for sheltering boats from stormy seas, but actually makes the effects of the tsunami worse.

Research has found that the inner small boat basin actually focuses a tsunami’s energy once it’s in the harbor.

“It’s not going to make the tsunami any higher, all it does is funnel it. You’re forcing all that water into a narrow opening.”

In 2009, Troy Nicolini of the National Weather Service in Eureka described this motion as the “bathtub affect,” and he said it’s particularly pronounced inside Crescent City’s harbor.

“You can imagine that when a wave comes in there it bounces off the concrete walls. It just bounces and keeps most of its energy,” Nicolini said. “It stays in there long enough for the next wave to come in and now they’re both bouncing around.”

He said this is like putting two kids in a bathtub together. When they both start splashing around, the water resonate off the sides of the tub becoming more turbulent and eventually winding up on the floor.

This makes even small tsunamis potentially devastating. In 2006, an earthquake near Russia’s Kuril Islands sent waves across the Pacific and into Crescent City. Though the surge was small and never breached land, it pushed into the inner boat basin and caused an estimated $22.5 million in damage to the docks.

“It was a real eye-opener,” said the reporter, “I was as surprised as anybody that there was that much damage.”

But perhaps the No. 1 reason Crescent City has the unfortunate stigma of being a tsunami poster-child is its relation to the ocean.

“It’s low. It’s really close to the water and it sticks out. It’s what we call exposure.”
The tsunami warnings moved faster than the waves, giving millions of people across the Pacific hours to flee to higher ground. Now they are left to clean up what the waves had wrought: Destroyed docks and damaged boats.

A deadly tsunami generated by an 8.9-magnitude earthquake in Japan raced across the Pacific on Friday and into marinas and harbors in Hawaii and on the West Coast, sending boats crashing into one another, carrying some out to sea and demolishing docks.

The damage - the most severe in two seaside towns along the Oregon-California border - was estimated to be in the millions.

"This is just devastating. I never thought I'd see this again," said Ted Scott, a retired mill worker who lived in Crescent City, Calif., when a 1964 tsunami killed 11 people, 17 total along the West Coast.

Still, there was relief that the destruction in the U.S. was nothing like that in Japan. The offshore quake pushed water onto land, sometimes miles inland, sweeping away boats, cars, homes and people. Hundreds are dead.

As it happened….
In Oregon, the first swells to hit the U.S. mainland were barely noticeable.

In Crescent City, Calif., miles to the south, Coast Guard spent seven hours of fruitless searching for a man who was swept out to sea, before calling off the effort. He had been taking photos near the mouth of the Klamath River. Two people with him jumped in to rescue him, and were able to get back to land, authorities said.

An 8-foot wave rushed into the harbor, destroying about 35 boats and ripping chunks off the wooden docks, as marina workers and fishermen scrambled between surges to secure property. Officials estimated millions of dollars in damage.

When the water returned, someone would yell "Here comes another one!" to clear the area.

Scott, the retired mill worker, watched the water pour into the harbor.

"I watched the docks bust apart. It buckled like a graham cracker," he said.

The waves had not made it over a 20-foot break wall protecting the rest of the city. No serious injuries were reported.

A veteran Coast Guard pilot who flew a search and rescue mission over the roiling ocean for six hours said he had never seen anything like it.

"Even from the air, you could actually smell the mud from the ocean floor. As it flowed, you saw the blackness of the water because it was all mixing together," said Lt. Cmdr. Brent Bergan.

Scientists warned that the first tsunami waves are not always the strongest. The threat can last for several hours and people should watch out for strong currents.

Well, that’s the sad news about Crescent City…let’s hope it recovers quickly.

I found a very pleasant bay-front RV park easily enough. As you drive north on 101 through Crescent City, it is on your left almost as soon as you enter town. Easy in…easy out.

Crescent City Oceanfront RV Park - $32 w/full-hookups - wi-fi and nice views.

It was a wee bit chilly...which is usual for the northern Cal coast at this time of year...I guess?

I was thinking….? CHECK OUT THE BLACK RV…GOOD FOR HEAT ABSORPTION?

Ciao, Crescent City....time to flip another direction coin...and announce a WARNING to those that are actually following this report that I feel myself getting into somewhat of of an editorial mood which may not be politically correct. :rolleyes:

AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 5-16-2011 at 11:13 PM

Roger...

As always. I'm thoroughly enjoying all your great pictures and your very humorous commentary and stories!!

Thanks for taking the time to write and post everything for us!

And...as I wrote on your last trip, if you get up Redmond, Washington way,
east of Seattle, try to stop in at my brother's great Italian Restaurant. They'll treat you right at "FRANKIE'S PIZZA AND PASTA" and you'll love the food and vino. Plus...Redmond has lots of great wineries and the Redhook Beer brewery.

Really looking forward to the rest of your trip!

Michael / Miguelamo :yes: :D :tumble: :)
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.