BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Pompano - RV Trip: BAJA - UP NORTH.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 06:31 AM

what a nice change to follow a Nomad's travels up North. fun photos, thanks for sharing the info and shots

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 08:03 AM

Well Pomp I,m right behind you coffee in hand did the Fox and Friends thing and thought I would tag along today,fun trip so far but the dampnest is starting to get to me,but will tough it out:biggrin:
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 08:20 AM

trees, elk, horses ... super way to start the day ! gracias ....

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 08:43 AM

Roger. Are you headed to Reedsport for a few days fishing? If so, I'll run over with a bottle of Aberlour Spyside. to 'warm you up'. !!!!!! Forecast calls for a good stock of Scotch on hand !!!!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 10:54 AM
South Oregon Coast

(Thanks for those nice offers and invites, guys, but I am already off that part of the route. Can I have a rain check?)

Comments and anecdotal memories along Highway 101….the Pacific Coast Highway.

For the last 30 years… and maybe a few more…I’ve been RVing up and down this scenic drive on annual migrations to and from Baja Sur. I am always finding some new sights to delight my senses…or to remind me of a past event.

Just a short drive from Crescent City to enter the Oregon part of the coast highway.
You know what?? Being raised on the Great Plains, these tall tree lined, tunnel-like roads give me a slight claustrophobic feeling…but very slight. :rolleyes:

This old ship made into a gift shop and museum is a familiar landmark. Nostalgia note: Many years ago, I bought my first bag of colorful & cheap Philippine seashells here to ‘salt’ my Coyote home beach for the sake of my youngest nieces and nephews. They were thrilled with their treasures and I was thrilled with their smiles.

I really like this house and it’s setting. Well…right up until that really big tsunami comes ashore….

There is no lack of marinas along the Coast Highway. Wonderful photo-ops, right? We all love them. I lived in one at Lake Union, Seattle, for a couple seasons…great times back then…and I just might do it again.

Hmmm…perhaps a recent transplant from a certain place near San Quintin...or maybe another meaning to the Cielto Lindo sign? It’s all in the imagination.

When was the last time you went to a movie theater like the one below? Ah…I can smell the popcorn! Add some Milk Duds or Chocolate Raisins and you’ve got a real treat.

See the plastic flowers left on the side rail? Looks like a roadside death memorial left by grieving relatives. A new custom comes to America….it will spread out…if our legislature/road departments allow it…don’t you think?

One never tires of such grand scenery as you find on the Pacific Coast Highway.

This waterfront café once…or maybe still is…was owned by a very nice Chinaman namedTommy, who helped me out once when I was detained by city police for driving my motorcycle onto a sidewalk to park it when entering his café to eat. Thanks to Tommy, I was not ticketed …and had a great lunch.

Ahh…those are great memories from the Coast. But its always nice to add some new scenes. Hmmm...Just where should I point this thing now?

[Edited on 5-25-2011 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 10:56 AM

Enjoying your trip. Went to college in Arcata and go back to camp etc. every now and again. thanks for sharing. Nancy
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 11:18 AM

Roger,
How do you get clear skies up in that area? It is always foggy or raining there.

We are not so lucky here, in the rest of Northern California; Rain and yes....snow....in the middle of May! Record cold temperatures too.
My house in The Gold Country this Sunday (Today rain):

100_0948 [DVD (NTSC)].JPG - 44kB

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Roger,
How do you get clear skies up in that area? It is always foggy or raining there.

We are not so lucky here, in the rest of Northern California; Rain and yes....snow....in the middle of May! Record cold temperatures too.

Hmm...danged if I know, Tony. Always foggy and raining, huh? It's been mostly sunny along the coast so far.

It's gotta be this 4-leafed clover I'm using as a bookmark....OR that golden cabrilla I caught just before leaving Baja?? ;D

But wait...it is a tad bit cloudy where I'm driving right now....
...Oregon Hwys 126/99/20 Eastbound.

I wonder what's up ahead? I'm just out rambing around...in a generally northeast direction.

[Edited on 5-17-2011 by Pompano]

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 01:45 PM
Just to Bring This Lovely RV Travel Thread Back to Baja

There is a "KOA" campground in the fishing village of Campito, near the restaurant Splash, in Rosarito. As best as I can tell, it is a maybe 100' x 200' ft. bare lot fenced with chicken wire. Parking spots are marked out with white chalk lines and rocks.

I have no clue about cost or amenities, but there are plenty of chickens and village dogs to keep you company.

Also, the Christian church, which is located on very large fenced property at about Km. 40, on the Tijuana-Ensenada Free Road near Rosarito has a big, new billboard that says they have RV parking available.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 06:00 PM
Eugene, Oregon...a diamond in the rough.

I found this diamond in the rough:

Premier RV Resort, Eugene, Oregon

Because I believe RVing Nomads will want to stay at this place, I’m giving it a good plug…as I will to any good park I come across on this trip. ‘Sides, I like to give a personal touch to such things …as it affects me. Embellish the facts?...Naw. Just beef ‘em up a little!

Getting a little whimsical here...:)

Directions to the RV park:

From the North - Take Oregon I-5 exit 199, Coburg. Turn left onto Van Duyn Road. Cross over the freeway and look for the resort on the right.
From the South - Take Oregon I-5 exit 199, Coburg. Turn right onto Van Duyn Road. Look for the resort on the right.

Fuel Stop - The resort is just past the Fuel Stop…which gives you a discount for cash…not much, but 5 cents a gallon adds up on a motorhome.

The surrounding property was woodland, fences, and pasture…with many grazing sheep and cows. Very picturesque and peaceful. The main lodge and other community buildings were nice and showed pride of ownership. The clubhouse for campers was full of very friendly folks who greeted me with…”Hi, stranger. Come have some coffee and visit. Tell us about your travels?” (If only they knew what they were getting into…hmm?)

Amenities at the park included these:
Big-Rig Friendly Long Pull-Throughs
Free Wi-Fi
20/30/50 Amp Sites
Satellite TV
Beautiful Bathrooms/Showers
Off-leash area for dogs
Laundry Concierge Service
Gift Shop Open Year Round
Free Delivered Newspaper
No Speed Bumps
Friendship Circle Gas Log Fire Pit

Along with a standard swimming pool (which is lost on me..) and clubhouse, etc…the park offers mailboxes for long term vacationers. Another nice touch.

I especially liked the park lake residents….see you this fall, boys! :rolleyes:

This is an average campsite. Long and wide enough to accommodate any size RV …plus the slides.
(and it looks like those slides kinda pushed the fence a little, huh?)

Newspaper is delivered to your RV each morning. Not too sure that can be called a ‘good thing?...but to each his own, I say.

You can wash your RV on the campsite. Now that’s a real plus for me!

I found the park to be very clean and well maintained with a reasonable rate. The manager was very helpful in Eugene area directions and site selection. The park has excellent facilities. I would rate this a 10 if not so near I-5. This makes it somewhat noisy if you are on the interstate side of the park. I had a fairly quiet site away from the interstate. I enjoyed my stay and decided on an additional day.

Rate: $34 total…a real bargain!

Some Eugene events and sights:

Having nothing pressing on my calendar, I did some local sightseeing and found these attractions to be simply…..Great!

The Bridges of Lane County

Goodpasture Bridge, McKenzie River.

I did some research on these Lane County Bridges and found it to be very interesting…and hope you do, too.

Covered bridges are an important cultural feature on the Lane County landscape. Lane county has more covered bridges than any other county west of the Appalachian Mountains. Eighteen of the twenty bridges in the county are listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Covered bridges were constructed to withstand heavy rains and salty sea air. The barn-type structures over the bridges protect the wood trusses and floor planking from the elements and extend the functional lives of the bridges. The design of the wooden bridges is similar to steel truss bridges, but the shortage of steel during World War I and the local access to high quality timber contributed to the use of wood as a bridge building material.

By 1918, plans for covered bridges had become standardized to include open windows for light and ventilation together with such features as laminated floors and interior whitewashing. The twenty covered bridges of Lane County represent many hours of hand labor by skilled craftspeople.

Recently, some of Lane County's covered bridges have become inadequate for increased traffic and commercial loads. In some cases, new bridges have been built adjacent to existing covered bridges to accommodate modern traffic needs. Lane County has a continuous maintenance program for all County owned covered bridges.

Next I toured this place for birds of prey:

Cascades Raptor Center

What is a Raptor?

Raptors are birds of prey such as...

eagles, hawks, falcons, owls, osprey, and kites...

...hunting birds with keen eyesight and hearing, strong feet with sharp talons for grasping and killing prey, and curved beaks for ripping up their food. Raptors are not the only predators of the bird world, but they are the only birds that hunt with their feet!

32275 Fox Hollow Road - P.O. Box 5386 - Eugene, OR 97405
Phone (541) 485-1320 - Fax (541) 485-4586 - info@eRaptors.org

Cascades Raptor Center is a non-profit organization dedicated to wildlife rescue and public education to enhance appreciation, respect, and stewardship of the natural world. I think it is a very worthwhile organization...and reminds me of our ranch neighbor when growing up near the Badlands of ND. He was an avid falconer, using his raptors to hunt sharptail grouse and pheasant…but also cared and nursed wounded birds of prey…plus put on lyceum programs for schoolkids all over the nation.

Is your property overrun by mice? Here’s one fun solution...attract a kestrel or two by building them a nesting box. They will repay you by devasting the mouse population…but don’t kid yourself..the mice will not be wiped out completely…NOTHING can do that!

Nest Box Specifications
Building suggestions: Rough cedar or exterior plywood are good, durable building materials. Rough wood should be used so young birds can climb out. Several ¼" ventilation holes should be provided to prevent suffocation of young birds. Drill three or four ¼" holes in the floor for drainage. Galvanized nails or brass screws will not rust like ordinary nails. Clean and repair boxes at least once every other year. Build so one side, front, top, or bottom can be easily opened for cleaning.

General placement suggestions: Boxes that face away from storms are more inviting to birds. Young birds will not become trapped in boxes that tilt forward at the top. Placement should prohibit predator access from above or below, including cats, raccoons, snakes.

And last, but not least…the museum below was especially an interesting visit for me. I'm a history buff....as some may recall from a few of my earlier posts.

"History, in general, only informs us of what bad government is. We are not makers of history. We are made by history."

Thomas Jefferson

University of Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History

This small museum is housed in a building designed to vaguely resemble a traditional Northwest Coast Indian longhouse. The ancient peoples and even more ancient animals that once roamed the Northwest are the main focus of the museum's exhibits. Geology, botany, and archaeology topics also get plenty of display space here.

Well, that visit to Eugene was very enlightening and fun…and I’ll return someday to enjoy more.

But right now…it’s time to have a campfire, a hot toddy for the body… (Whoa, does this old Baja dog ever need one) ….and to reflect: “I wonder what’s over that next hill?”

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2011 at 04:37 PM
The Columbia Gorge

The Dalles, Columbia River Gorge

The area around The Dalles, Oregon, provides opportunities for a variety of outdoor sports and activities. The Dalles, which sits along the banks of the Columbia River, originally served as a military outpost, was established in 1850. Today, the town serves as a jumping off spot for a host of national forests, state parks and recreation areas. RV campsites are available in the area, offered by park services and private businesses

The Columbia River Gorge serves as the state line between Washington to the north and Oregon to the south. Situated 84 miles east of Portland, The Dalles lies just across the Columbia River from Dalleport, Washington, and the Columbia Gore Regional Airport. Surrounding The Dalles, you can find a wide variety of landscapes and natural settings, with vast portions of land designated as park areas

Deschutes River State Park
Thirty miles east of The Dalles, this park is located where the Deschutes River and the Columbia River converge. The Deschutes River State Park offers 34 electric sites in addition to 25 primitive sites. Since there is a quarter-mile drop along the last 100 miles of the river, folks here can enjoy a major adrenaline rush from white-water rafting, kayaking or even tubing the river. There's also a boat launch and a 17-mile mountain bike trail.

Maryhill State Park
Maryhill State Park is located over the river in Washington, just 30 miles away. It is a 99-acre camping park that provides 50 utility sites for rigs up to 60 feet long, as well as 20 tent sites. The park has four bathrooms and 10 showers, and campers here can enjoy activities like boating, fishing and combing the beach. Water enthusiasts can water ski or sailboard. Hikers have over a mile-long trail to explore.

My choice…a boondock on the shores of the Columbia fairly close to The Dalles..just off the highway’s frontage road.

Rate: Free

My views are pretty good….considering the price is right! :rolleyes: What do you think?

Looks like this place is used by locals who fish from the bank. Buene suerte, amigos! Hope you catch lots of big ones and enjoy many dinners.

I always like to find these candid type photo-ops. Makes a fun trip much funner!

I came across these totally different types of dogs at a Rest Area. First time I ever saw a dog ramp in use. I guess it beats getting a hernia lifting Fido into the back compartment. I’d opt for the wiener dog.

Lots of barge traffic on the Columbia. Something that is suffering on the Old Miss right about now…

Tunnels like this one are great additions to America’s Road Trips...but try to refrain from blowing your horn!

Heading slowly, but surely...ENE. Tomorrow will bring some adventure, I'm sure. Hasta pronto.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2011 at 05:46 PM

Your campsites are improving, Roger.

Covered bridges and tunnels! Oh what fun. Both highlights for me as well.

I'm looking forward to the images along the alaskan highway.

Please be careful, Roger. I have this vision of one hand on the wheel and the other on the camera with you looking through the viewfinder.
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 5-18-2011 at 07:49 PM

Roger....

Keeps getting BETTER and BETTER....Really enjoying the pictures, descriptions and comments!!!

I love the coastal areas of CA, OR and WA and all the rivers, streams, mountains, bridges, tunnels, train trestles and more that's along their highways.

I feel like I'm riding along on the trip and I want to reach out and grab the bottles to make the Hot Toddies....ummm...please tell me where the wipes are...I spilled a little and need to clean it up!

Miguelamo :yes: :spingrin: :yes: :biggrin:
irenemm
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 5-18-2011 at 08:22 PM

I just love traveling with you. Your such fun with all the information and the beautiful pictures.
I am taking my own trip and hope it is as beautiful as your. No motor homes or camp grounds Hotels and lots of different states.
Enjoy your adventure will keep up on this until I leave.
thanks again Roger for taking us all along on this Great Adventure. Enjoy the ride everyone.

stop and visit us

http://www.posadadondiego.com
see us on facebook
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 5-18-2011 at 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Roger,

I drove from Utah and over Donner Monday afternoon. A blizzard. CHP was escorting traffic down the hill.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 08:17 AM

BOONDOCK.............BOONDOCK............BOONDOCK!!!!!!!!

Nice find, along the Columbia, Roger. That's the best way to camp in rigs. The hookups are just for email and taking on and releasing fluids, once a week.

You DO know about the fine Indian casino boondocking in that area, dont you Roger? The casinos in Wash/Ore, etc., arent the whimpy type found in AZ and CA. THEY HAVE CRAPS!!!!! 3x4x5 times odds. Even found one with 10x odds!!!

But, unless you've got a good system, casino boondocking CAN get more expensive than a 60 dollar KOA. :lol:

[Edited on 5-19-2011 by Hook]

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 05:59 PM
The Gorge and the Highway to Up North

Columbia Gorge – I-84 – Hwy 395N - I-82 – I-90 to Spokane.

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Your campsites are improving, Roger.

Covered bridges and tunnels! Oh what fun. Both highlights for me as well.

I'm looking forward to the images along the alaskan highway.

Please be careful, Roger. I have this vision of one hand on the wheel and the other on the camera with you looking through the viewfinder.

Hi Igor, glad you could join us on this first part of the journey Up North. I knew you would like that particular campsite as much as me. I should tell you… and all…that I generally try to find a free & scenic campsite for the night. True boondocking to me is more than just a free cement spot at Walmart. For me, it’s part of nature with ambiance…whether it be desert, forests, lakes, mountains, or the ocean. I’ve done them all at one time or another…and will go on enjoying them ... till they cover me with dirt.

On the other hand, when traveling the interstates to make good time, staying at full-service campgrounds can be fun, too…and you always seem to learn a lot from full-timing veterans..tips about RVing in general. Of course, the camaraderie you will find is a major perk, too. I could fill a good-sized journal on the many good friends we’ve met in just the last couple trips alone. Priceless.

Igor, thanks for your concern, but please don’t worry about my taking photos from the driver’s chair. I use a good Nikon Coolpix point-and-shoot for those photos. Not any different or more difficult than managing a cup of coffee...very easy, very safe. I do get some good ones here and there…amongst all the edited-out throwaways! Just point.. and shoot…no looking thru the viewfinder for me!

Quote:
Originally posted by AmoPescar
Roger....

Keeps getting BETTER and BETTER....Really enjoying the pictures, descriptions and comments!!!

I love the coastal areas of CA, OR and WA and all the rivers, streams, mountains, bridges, tunnels, train trestles and more that's along their highways.

I feel like I'm riding along on the trip and I want to reach out and grab the bottles to make the Hot Toddies....ummm...please tell me where the wipes are...I spilled a little and need to clean it up!

Miguelamo :yes: :spingrin: :yes: :biggrin:

Hola Miguelamo, glad you are along. Kick back and enjoy the ride, amigo.

Quote:
Originally posted by irenemm
I just love traveling with you. Your such fun with all the information and the beautiful pictures.
I am taking my own trip and hope it is as beautiful as your. No motor homes or camp grounds Hotels and lots of different states.
Enjoy your adventure will keep up on this until I leave.
thanks again Roger for taking us all along on this Great Adventure. Enjoy the ride everyone.

Hi Irene, I wish you great success on your upcoming trip. Be sure to let us enjoy it with you. And gracias for the compliments, it is my pleasure to do so.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
BOONDOCK.............BOONDOCK............BOONDOCK!!!!!!!!

Nice find, along the Columbia, Roger. That's the best way to camp in rigs. The hookups are just for email and taking on and releasing fluids, once a week.

You DO know about the fine Indian casino boondocking in that area, dont you Roger? The casinos in Wash/Ore, etc., arent the whimpy type found in AZ and CA. THEY HAVE CRAPS!!!!! 3x4x5 times odds. Even found one with 10x odds!!!

But, unless you've got a good system, casino boondocking CAN get more expensive than a 60 dollar KOA. :lol:

Hoo-boy….of course you can’t know, Paul, but you’re preaching to the choir. :rolleyes: Boondocking has been my specialty since boyhood travels in my old International stepside, Jasper, pulling a horse trailer. You can’t really appreciate real nature unless you do the real thing…which means a rough camp. Don't get me started on my boyhood camping...or somebody will surely complain about all the walleye and pike photos. :rolleyes: Damn, I be bad!

But... this thread is supposed to be about campgrounds and parks, too..…so I’m pledged to try exploring them equally. On any other trip I will boondock more than use parks with hookups, but it’s also very nice to have all the amenities if you should choose to…like water, electricity, wi-fi, cable tv, laundry, etc. Trust me…after a couple weeks of roughing it on a 4000 mile trip.…(boondocking)…getting all squeaky-clean and enjoying all the park’s comforts is well worth the price. KOA’s are okay, but their rates are about twice the price of a normal RV park…and I find most of mine in the $25 - $35 category.

Yes! Casinos are simply great concrete pads to camp for little or no money. They get your money inside.

At one time or another over the last few decades, I 've camped at all the Native American casinos along the Washington and Oregon coasts..and inland from ND to Nevada. Why? Because they are usually free….and I like to play Texas Hold-Em!

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2011 at 08:02 AM
RVing from the Gorge east to the Rockies.

Time to update the trip.

Some photos of the RV trip through the Columbia River Gorge…and east to the Rockies.

One of the RV camps was at Maryhill State Park campground. Very pleasant & scenic… a good value at $30 night with full hookups.

Has a great boat ramp for fishing on the Columbia River. Some of the best walleye fishing in the Lower 48 can be found here.

Americana Road Lore…Tourist attraction!

Another campsite …Free with elec. and water hookup…was found at this semi-famous gift shop…$50,000 Silver Dollar Gift Store

Yes, there really are 50,000 silver dollars on the bartop and on the back walls of this saloon. (one is slightly scratched from efforts to lever it out of the bartop.)

An comfy stop for a night. All the pinecones you could possibly want…..:wow:

We took some secondary highways towards the Rockies….

Bighorn Country…

A small forest fire was contained and extinguished by smokejumpers from Idaho and Montana

I found a pleasant campsite next to this river for the night. Water was too high and cloudy for fishing, though.

Mountain High wilderness...truly beautiful.

Reached snow level elevations here and there. Brrrr...after Baja, this is too cool for me.

Some of my best choices for campgrounds in the Rockies are the fishing access turnoffs. My fee was $12 night.

The fishing access places are sometimes launching areas for river rafters.

*I had a yen for some beef jerky, so I stopped at this store and also took some photos of the mounts inside.

Hi-Country Jerky

The jerky was/is very good!

And now, it's time to get ...

..."On the Road Again."

[Edited on 10-17-2011 by Pompano]

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2011 at 08:13 AM

Roger, this trip report is amazing. The $50,000 Silver Dollar Bar just blew me away. Here's a link that shows it is constantly growing and is now over $55,000 in silver dollars.

Wow...

http://www.examiner.com/bars-in-missoula/50-000-silver-dolla...

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2011 at 08:51 AM

Bob...I guess they must be doing okay, then. Glad to hear it...America needs some good success stories these days!

Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.