Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: The ART of HUGO LOPEZ, in El Rosario
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
you did good, then. i can't speak spanish for sheet (until 3 days SOB), and here i am correcting.....:lol:

When SOB, every little bit helps.

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 03:45 PM
Thanks for the price range/ no gracias por el leccion

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Just curious what the price range is for his work,
some of it is really really good,
some is asi asi.

But, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder....
I think someone famous said that, but every time you give a quote cite someone looks it up on Google and finds out it was someone else who said it

CUANTO PREGUNTO TE NECESITO COMPRO - How much is the item listed for?

Having a wife from Guadalajara I need little instruction en la lengua, pero mil gracias hermano

Meanwhile, those prices are ridiculous.... sad to see such nice work go so cheap.

Sort of like the onyx carvings down at Marmol.
At the site they are 10 bucks
at Espinozas they are 25
and in Ensenada they are 50 +

Sort of like pricing gas based on the price of oil futures,
all over the board
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
you did good, then. i can't speak spanish for sheet (until 3 days SOB), and here i am correcting.....:lol:

When SOB, every little bit helps.

jes, si mon y orale vato!:light:

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 03:51 PM

it is the middle men who make all of the profits. everywhere, for every commodity. but if you ask Hugo, he is prolly stoked! how much does a canvas and some pinturas cost? his time is free. we all have free time that could make us some spare pesos, no?

i'm gonna have to snatch one up (or commission one) next time down there...

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 04:09 PM
Little tongue exercises?

Quote:

Having a wife from Guadalajara I need little instruction en la lengua, pero mil gracias hermano

Lengua??

If you consider the expense and time it takes to travel to El Rosario, the prices are probably commenserate with the gasoline, insurance, food and lodging that one must invest in order to make this art purchase.

Gasoline r/t to El Rosario -

4 full tanks of gasoline to El Rosario and back (60 gal@~3.40) = $204
1 night of lodging at Baja Cactus = $35
Dinner for 2 at Mama Espinozas = $40
Car insurance 2 days/48 hrs. = $45
1 night of lodging in San Ysidro = $80
Lunch for 2 at El Palomar, Santo Tomas = $25

Now, you are looking at roughly $500 to buy artwork. There, is where the higher cost factors in.:light:

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 04:18 PM

wow! maybe get a toyota? i can make it to ER on 15 gallons, have lunch and top off the tank, hit the road and spend the longest 2 hours of my year waiting to cross the border. 11 hours border to border line.

our casita is 15 minutes NOB. we ought to do a trip Ken. you and mama can stay at our house for the night. we can turn you two on to the best seafood escabeche in baja (El Ros) oh, and i get first pic on the artwork!:P

[Edited on 7-10-2012 by woody with a view]

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 04:47 PM
Si, la lengua- as every pocho knows and says

Quote:
Quote:

Lengua??

If you consider the expense and time it takes to travel to El Rosario, the prices are probably commenserate with the gasoline, insurance, food and lodging that one must invest in order to make this art purchase.

Gasoline r/t to El Rosario -

4 full tanks of gasoline to El Rosario and back (60 gal@~3.40) = $204
1 night of lodging at Baja Cactus = $35
Dinner for 2 at Mama Espinozas = $40
Car insurance 2 days/48 hrs. = $45
1 night of lodging in San Ysidro = $80
Lunch for 2 at El Palomar, Santo Tomas = $25

Now, you are looking at roughly $500 to buy artwork. There, is where the higher cost factors in.:light:

Pocho puro, mi hermano...

asi......

feminine noun
1. tongue (órgano)

las malas lenguas dicen que… -> according to the gossip…
irse de la lengua (informal) -> to let the cat out of the bag
ir/llegar con la lengua fuera (informal) -> to go along/arrive puffing and panting
morderse la lengua -> to bite one's tongue
se le trabó la lengua -> she stumbled over her words
tener la lengua muy larga (informal) -> to be a gossip
tirar a alguien de la lengua (informal figurative) -> to draw somebody out
lengua de gato -> chocolate finger (biscuit) (de chocolate) (peninsular Spanish)
lengua de víbora o viperina (figurative) -> malicious tongue
lengua de tierra -> tongue of land

2. language (idioma, lenguaje)

lengua materna -> mother tongue
lengua muerta -> dead language
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 04:50 PM

donde lengua de sappo?

and you guys know that lengua de carnitas, chivo, res and every other hoof animal is some of the sweetest taco meat on the menu, right?

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigmike58
Thanks to DavidK and this post we were on the lookout for Hugo's taco shop. We stopped in and had some carne taco's and bought a couple of his paintings.

We brought home both the framed one that Hugo is displaying and the unframed flowers in a vase (left side of pic).

Very cool Big Mike! Thanks for sizing your photos to 800 pixels max (per Nomad guidelines)! Now if we can only get Ken to play as well! :light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bigmike58
Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 10:43 PM

no worries, I use a program called "fast image resizer" and set it for 800x600. I'm sure there is something better but this program is free and you can grab an entire folder of pics (100's of em) and just drop them into resizer and it automaticaly saves the smaller pics in a subfolder that it creates called "resized" and it's superfast! about 2sec a photo..
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

eureka.gif posted on 7-10-2012 at 10:53 PM
All of the above works...

Quote:

In your house, you speak Guadalajara Spanish - at my place, we speak Castellano. It's all interrelated. I didn't pick up on your slang, hermano. No offense meant.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Ken, it really takes you 4 tank fulls to do an El Rosario round trip? It is 275 miles from my place and you are about 80 miles north of me, right? 355 miles is an easy 'highway tank' for my V-6 beast which gets 18 mpg, and 20 gallons in Baja is about $60 dollars. So, your 6 only gets 9 mpg highway?

Why wouldn't you eat at Hugo's for about $10 (for two)... best burritos or stuffed potatoes in Baja! Why would you need to stay in San Ysidro when that is just 2 hours from your home? Lunch at El Palomar? Tacos El Poblado in Maneadero my friend!! An annual policy would cost you less than $1 a day to fully insure your Jeep, also...

Just trying to help you enjoy more Baja for the buck!

1. Rubicon instead of the Honda - solid front and rear axle drivetrain that holds up better to pot holes and heavy-duty tires than can withstand impacts better than the Honda. Plus, the Rubicon has a lifetime alignment that I purchased in 2003.

2. I live 120 miles north of San Ysidro, CA - My Rubicon fills up with 17 gallons of fuel and has a range of approximately 240 miles using Ethanol-blended gasoline, and approximately 270 miles using non-Ethanol-blended Pemex gasoline. This is part of the reason I drive so slowly compared to you on the hwy, since every little bit helps. If I drive like a lunatic, I would get closer to 9 mpg hwy. My top end is 85 mph but, I can drive at 80 mph on a US Interstate Fwy - I won't go faster than 65 in Mexico (based upon lots of experience).

3. Why wouldn't I eat at Hugos? The last time I was in El Rosario, the lights were off (past 10 pm) - I'll try Hugo's next time.

4. Why stay in San Ysidro? 3 reasons - Pool at motel, cool weather, and tired from driving all day/crossing border (blah!).

5. Tacos El Poblano? I don't eat Beef, Goat, etc. My wife doesn't like tacos - period. Gotta go with the flow, my friend.

6. Insurance policy - I'm DEFINITELY purchasing my policy by the annual basis since my Jeep is now paid off.

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2012 at 07:21 AM
Stuff it Ken!

".........stuffed potatoes"
Okay....you guys got me! What is a stuffed potato?

You and David sure have a way of OT'ing this topic :-)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Ken, it really takes you 4 tank fulls to do an El Rosario round trip? It is 275 miles from my place and you are about 80 miles north of me, right? 355 miles is an easy 'highway tank' for my V-6 beast which gets 18 mpg, and 20 gallons in Baja is about $60 dollars. So, your 6 only gets 9 mpg highway?

Why wouldn't you eat at Hugo's for about $10 (for two)... best burritos or stuffed potatoes in Baja! Why would you need to stay in San Ysidro when that is just 2 hours from your home? Lunch at El Palomar? Tacos El Poblado in Maneadero my friend!! An annual policy would cost you less than $1 a day to fully insure your Jeep, also...

Just trying to help you enjoy more Baja for the buck!

1. Rubicon instead of the Honda - solid front and rear axle drivetrain that holds up better to pot holes and heavy-duty tires than can withstand impacts better than the Honda. Plus, the Rubicon has a lifetime alignment that I purchased in 2003.

2. I live 120 miles north of San Ysidro, CA - My Rubicon fills up with 17 gallons of fuel and has a range of approximately 240 miles using Ethanol-blended gasoline, and approximately 270 miles using non-Ethanol-blended Pemex gasoline. This is part of the reason I drive so slowly compared to you on the hwy, since every little bit helps. If I drive like a lunatic, I would get closer to 9 mpg hwy. My top end is 85 mph but, I can drive at 80 mph on a US Interstate Fwy - I won't go faster than 65 in Mexico (based upon lots of experience).

3. Why wouldn't I eat at Hugos? The last time I was in El Rosario, the lights were off (past 10 pm) - I'll try Hugo's next time.

4. Why stay in San Ysidro? 3 reasons - Pool at motel, cool weather, and tired from driving all day/crossing border (blah!).

5. Tacos El Poblano? I don't eat Beef, Goat, etc. My wife doesn't like tacos - period. Gotta go with the flow, my friend.

6. Insurance policy - I'm DEFINITELY purchasing my policy by the annual basis since my Jeep is now paid off.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2012 at 07:38 AM

Go to Hugo's and find out! :-)

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2012 at 07:40 AM
No offense taken, my good man

Quote:
Quote:

In your house, you speak Guadalajara Spanish - at my place, we speak Castellano. It's all interrelated. I didn't pick up on your slang, hermano. No offense meant.

Ken, you are one of the good guys, never offended by your posts.

As to "Guadalajara Spinach"
Mi esposa rages at me all the time for my "Border Pocho" lingo.
(By the way, where do you think the slang word "lingo" came from? Yep, lengua)

Anyway, my esSpanich is all my own, and proud of it.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2012 at 08:03 AM

I haven't been able to travel to Colombia to practice my Castillian Spanish, and I have a hard time understanding the 'Border Spanish' I hear in Tijuana (and here in SoCal), so I'm practicing everyday with my wife. Trying not to lose my skills.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2012 at 04:54 PM

BajaTripper was asking about the Hugo Lopez painting he saw here in my house, so I am bumping up this thread.

bigmike58
Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 9-5-2012 at 10:00 PM

Here's the other one we got from Hugo.

had a frame made in Mulege, made from "ironwood"? I think that's what he said....

Shouldn\'t one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check or Sec.8 housing?
........... I had to pass one to earn it for them!

\"I\'ve now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?\"
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 08:41 AM

That's nice... I hope he doesn't quit.. last year he told me he wasn't doing anymore.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2012 at 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
My personal favorite from the photos above is The giant clay pot in the garden.
Others that intrigue me are;
The dancers in the cave. 4 sections.
The cave painting with the sea below.
The dancers and cave painted critters in a swirl.
The Flowers and Pomagrantes in front of the sea.
The still life of watermelon, pineapple and other fruit.
The cactus going up the hill
The giant cardon
The one of the Spring that David bought.

The desert landscapes are his best paintings IMO. Perhaps we've seen them so often that they no longer inspire as much as they should.

I agree about the cave painting with the sea below as you noted.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.