Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: South Dakota plates
O.G.
Nomad

Mood: waiting for the green flash

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 07:42 PM
South Dakota plates

Getting ready to take a car to Baja and register it in S.D.
However, even though S.D. doesn't require residency, the California dealer says that CA. requires a permanent S.D. address to make it fly. Is that true?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 07:58 PM

Not true in my case. Are you financing your vehicle?
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 08:10 PM

Absolutely not.

Call the Treasurer of Clay county at PHONE: 605-677-7123 and get the info direct from them.

[Edited on 5-20-2011 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 08:24 PM

from your post it sounds like you are buying a car from a dealer in California and want to register it in SD, ie, not pay sales tax in CA but pay it in SD when you register the car there.
if that is the case, yes, the dealer is probably right. I thought about doing something similar last August. I was in California, wanted to buy a car there and either license it in South Dakota or in Arizona, my legal state of residence. the only way they could not collect the sales tax and not do a CA registration was if they had a valid out of state address for me as the purchaser.
for some other, rather complicated and unrelated reasons, I ended up buying the vehicle, having it delivered out of (CA) state over the state line in Nevada and driving it to AZ and registering the car there. and paying a ton of sales tax.
but...had I gone the South Dakota route, yes, the dealer said they needed a/my SD address. and some sort of 'proof' of same, like a driver's license.
I think you can probably get a SD address through one of the mail forwarding services there, the same ones that will also register the car for you, but whether just an address will fly or not, I dunno. you could call the county registrar in Pennington Co. SD (get phone number on line somewhere) and ask
what that state requires, but as to a dealer in CA, that would depend on CA law.
easier to buy a car from a private party in CA, get the pink slip and register it in SD.

[Edited on 5-20-2011 by rhintransit]

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
O.G.
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

No financing involved -- cash sale.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 07:54 AM

In 2009 I bought a Toyota demonstrator (7000 miles) from a Toyota dealer in Escondido, took delivery in Yuma, Az, registered it in South Dakota. Saved the Ca. salestax, but had tp pay the S.D. salestax, which is considerably lower.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 08:02 AM

Quote:

I you already own your vehicle, and want to register in SD..
(vehicle would mostly be driven/ kept in Baja)

Is proof of SD address needed?

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by O.G.
Quote:

I answered your U2U before I saw this.
Here's the link:

http://www.claycountysd.org/

Call the registration office and have a chat with them. It's a real step back in time. An English speaking human will answer the phone.
If nothing has changed, you will only have to send the Pink Slip and Plates, along with a check to register your car.
The reason for the phone call is to establish the amount of your payment as it differs depending on the vehicle.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 08:26 AM

good idea to call South Dakota.
but it sounds like the hangup is in California. dealer needs and out of state address.
cash sale, still have to take delivery out of state to avoid sales tax.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
surfdoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta
Quote:

I you already own your vehicle, and want to register in SD..
(vehicle would mostly be driven/ kept in Baja)

Is proof of SD address needed?

Pretty much same question...... I use my daughters La Mesa address for mail. So would this be acceptable to register my truck in SD ?
Also, sending the plates is not an option since I live in BCS...
Any way around this ?

Someone stated there are business's that will expidite the reregistration process, like getting your FM2/3... anyone have a contact?
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I answered your U2U before I saw this.
Here's the link:

http://www.claycountysd.org/

Call the registration office and have a chat with them. It's a real step back in time. An English speaking human will answer the phone.

I'd register my car in SD just for the pleasure of not having to explain my problem to someone in Bangalore.
:yes:

Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Absolutely not.

Call the Treasurer of Clay county at PHONE: 605-677-7123 and get the info direct from them.

[Edited on 5-20-2011 by bajalou]

Ditto Lou. Call them directly, they are very helpful and bend over backwards to help you.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge
Ditto Lou. Call them directly, they are very helpful and bend over backwards to help you.

Yeah...nice lady on the other end. The phone call isn't just to chat. As I earlier mentioned, it's part of the registration procedure to establish the fee, which differs from vehicle to vehicle.
If and when you do call, have your registration in front of you.
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 01:04 PM

http://www.yourbestaddress.com/

http://www.mydakotaaddress.com/

Rumblings from South Dakota could affect some fulltime RV folk

South Dakota is one of the states popular with fulltime RVers. Not so much for making visits there, but with no state income tax and low fees on vehicle registrations, some fulltimers make the Mount Rushmore State their legal domicile. Now, according to a local paper, state authorities are asking questions that are making some RVers uncomfortable.

The Argus Leader says that state officials recently sent a memo to county treasurers throughout the state, mandating more information from folks renewing or applying for vehicle registrations. “The goal,” says Debra Hillmer, chief of the state’s Motor Vehicle Department, “is to discourage falsified applications and collect information on where people really reside. Ultimately, that information could be used by other states to crack down on their residents who license cars, boats and motor homes here.”

Apparently this information swapping has already started. Witness a 2007 information exchange between Nebraska, Iowa, and South Dakota. Comparing Nebraska driver license data to South Dakota and Iowa motor vehicle registrations yielded some 13,000 matches–8,000 alone from South Dakota. Nebraska’s DMV was not pleased, figuring the crossovers cost Nebraska
plenty of tax money.

But it’s one thing for neighboring state residents to try and cheat on taxes; the issue for full time RVers is a whole different matter. It’s often held fulltimers can choose any state they want to call “home,” from a legal perspective. South Dakota doesn’t disagree with that, but the requirements to ‘prove up’ your domicile status can be a bit of a pinch. While “nomads” as the official state jargon calls fulltimers, are welcome to register vehicles in South Dakota, those who use a mail-forwarding service address must sear out an affidavit that they have no other address outside of South Dakota.

That could prove problematic for those who own a deeded RV lot in say, Texas or Arizona, but chose to only visit the place occasionally, or never touch tire there, and simply rent it out to others. Or what about the snowbird who maintains a post office box in a snowbird town for the convenience of receiving that mail forwarded from South Dakota. Lie on the affidavit and you’ll set yourself up for a possible felony charge.

The issue is one that’s emotionally, and politically charged. Some point the finger at pressure put on popular fulltime domicile states by neighbors jealous of the revenues made. Others say that the increasing noose of US Homeland Security regulations are at the base of the controversy. Regardless of the cause, it must give something for those fellows up on Mount Rushmore to discuss when the subject of freedom is raised.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 02:11 PM

South Dakota plates, :biggrin: Are we all gonna step aside, and bow down to South Dakota plates? :biggrin:
Jim/Liisa
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 02:57 PM

Aren't cars in SD Considered 49 state, meaning they have less smog crap on them, that is required in the California,and less likely to give you trouble later on with the use of Mexican gas, let alone the high price of the vehical you would have paid in California compaired to SD?
Sorry I assume you already purchased it.

[Edited on 02-05-2011 by Jim/Liisa]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim/Liisa
meaning they have less smog crap on them, that is required in the California

Well....you don't have to have your car smogged to register it there, so no equipment is required.
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 04:00 PM

Nye County Nevada (Pahrump) which is a lot closer does require that you have a residence address in the county. $100 annually does that. Nevada is a no-tax state also. Nevada DMV only requires a vision test if you have no moving violations, no written or driving test. Nye county is a no smog, no safety, no inspection of vehicle county.

I tore all kinds of crap off my (CA) engine and increased MPG, ability to run on different quality fuels and saved the difference in California registration and inspection fees, (300% of Nevada fees) without figuring in any work needed to meet smog in CA. Also, 48% reduction on mandatory vehicle insurance from San Diego rates.

South Dakota might have a "GOTBAJA" personalized plate available, I haven't checked.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco
South Dakota might have a "GOTBAJA" personalized plate available, I haven't checked.

Ask them if they have one for, "Screw Arnold." [I know...he's out]
O.G.
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 08:27 PM

Purchased my vehicle today. Started my application to get a "real" address in South Dakota today also (thanks DENNIS) as per my CA car dealers requirement. If it flies I will be saving $3K in taxes (a Hummer). Will take delivery in Nevada or Arizona. Bolt on the SD plates which I will have had mailed to me and head for Baja. No smog requirements; lower insurance; lower annual registration fees; will let you know how it all plays out. One little stickler; I cannot have the vehicle serviced under the warranty for any repairs in CA for 365 days after registering it in SD! California law! Or I will be assessed the original, estimated CA sales tax.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.