Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Marvin Patchen RIP
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2011 at 10:07 PM

An update on Marvin's "Patchen Explorer"

1973 cover of Aero Magazine featuring the Patchen Explorer

Marvin formed his own aircraft company, Marvin Patchen Inc., and oversaw the development of a remarkable plane—the Patchen Explorer, a landplane version of the Schweizer Teal amphibian. It was “intended as a cheaper, faster, more maintenance-free alternative to the helicopter for such tasks as pipeline and fire patrol, fish spotting, aerial photography and police missions.” Like the Teal, the Explorer was powered by a single engine mounted above the wing—the powerplant a 200-hp fuel-injected Lycoming.

A South African company acquired the project, but the Patchen Explorer never went into production; only a single prototype was built.

The South African Air Force Museum now owns that one and only example of the Patchen Explorer in the world, where it is on permanent display.

I'm sure Marvin will be happy to know that the Patchen Explorer is being made ready to take to the air again. Because of its unusual design it has always been a popular exhibit at the SAAF Museum.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-16-2011 at 07:41 AM

wow that looks fun! i'd like to see it emerge as a kit with amphibious floats.

was it tandem seating or side by side? 4 place? 2?
any details on it like specs?

very cool, thx for noting.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2011 at 09:24 AM

Some more info for you Capt. Mike.

This from the SAAF Museum's website :

Status: Museum Manufacturer: Patchen Country of Manufacture: United States Role: Reconnaissance/Utility Description: The Explorer was developed for pipeline patrol operation, aerial photography and law enforcement agencies. The large forward view from the unobstructed canopy made this an ideal observation aircraft. Construction of a prototype was completed by the Aerofab Corp. of Sanford, ME, and its flight-test program was completed in November 1972. The prototype was shipped to South Africa and evaluated by the SAAF's Test Flight and Development Centre for use as a light recon forward air control aircraft, but was not quite what was required. As a result it languished in a hangar for many years before being donated to the SAAF Museum. The Explorer, serial 2000, is part of the SAAF Museum Historic Flight. Aircraft Stats: Powerplant: 1 x Lycoming 200hp 4-cylinder engine Speed: 202 kph, 125mph mph Seats: 4 Span: 9.8m, ft Empty Weight: 621kg, 1,370lb Max T/O Weight: 998kg, 2,200lb Weapons: None specified Squadrons: SAAF Museum Historic Flight Attrition: No incidents found.

And a little background from Bob Aberle, who designed a flying model:

A neat aspect of building scale models is finding a little known, full-size aircraft for the subject. Anyone can build a Piper Cub or a Cessna, but not everyone has heard of a Patchen Explorer TSC-2. When I start a scale project, I always look for obscure aircraft. Fellow retired Grumman engineer Nick Dannenhoffer gave me a photo of the Explorer a dozen years ago. I recently pulled the photo out of its file and decided it was time to share my find with others. Working from that single photo and a specification sheet, I ended up creating an electric-powered model.
The Explorer was apparently designed by aircraft engineer David Thurston, who was responsible for some of the early Grumman civilian designs (the G-63 Kitten, for example), as well as the Republic Seabee amphibian. He later went on to design the Teal amphibian. The Explorer was essentially a land-based version of the Teal ... The full-size Explorer had a 32-foot wingspan, weighed 1,370 pounds (empty) and had a maximum takeoff weight of 2,200 pounds and a maximum cruise speed of 125 to 130mph. It was powered by a pylon-mounted Lycoming 200hp 4-cylinder, air-cooled engine.
The Explorer looks really different in the air and always attracts attention from other modelers who want to know what it is.

There's a Youtube video of a model Patchen Explorer flying around -- made me think of Marvin's spirit flying all over Baja.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYPsv2wpbHU

And here's a link to photos and background on the original Teal amphibian.

http://www.seabee.info/teal/teal_photos.htm

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-16-2011 at 09:27 AM

sweeet!!!!!! thx so much.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 7-16-2011 at 09:58 PM

Very COOL airplane. Amazing what an innovative thinker he was! Been amazed to hear more about his life, all he did and all his adventures!

Miguelamo :yes: :D :yes:
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2011 at 12:21 PM

There will be a little gathering for Marvin at the Santa Ines cabin –“Casa Patchen” – next Saturday, November 12.

Aletha and a few family and friends will be there to scatter some of his ashes at sunset and celebrate his life and love for Baja. Anyone passing through Cataviña who knew Marvin and Aletha and anyone who has enjoyed the cabin over the years will be very welcome to stop by.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-5-2011 at 05:07 PM

Sweet... thanks for the message, Graham!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 12:11 AM

A few photos from our tribute to Marvin at the Santa Ines cabin last weekend.

We scattered Marv’s ashes around the cabin, on the runway he used so often, and north by a large cross on top of the mountain overlooking the Santa Ines ranch and campground.

Marvin helped Brian Chuchua lift the cross – made of welded water tanks – by helicopter back in April 1982. Brian, of course, owned a renowned Southern California Jeep dealership, and was instrumental in promoting early Baja off-road racing, entering 3 jeeps in the initial 1967 Mexican (Baja) 1000. Marvin and Aletha drove Brian Chuchua vehicles in their Baja races.

The weather was perfect apart from Saturday night/Sunday morning when we had 2/3 inch of rain… but that produced a wonderful series of rainbows to lend a special magic to the celebration of one of Baja’s more colorful characters.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 08:43 AM

Thank you Graham. The final chapter - at the end of the rainbow - Marvin's cabin, friends and legacy.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 08:49 AM

To be missed by so many is the ultimate statement of a man's impact on those he loved.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 08:55 AM

What a wonderful tribute to a Baja legend...thanks to all of you who have painted this lovely picture of Marv.

My condolences to the family and friends who I'm sure will miss him very much but he will remain in your hearts forever.

Marv...enjoy your next adventure in the beyond...see ya there.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 08:59 AM

Thank you Graham!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 07:50 PM

It was a privilege to pay tribute to Marvin at a place that he and Aletha loved and made available to so many Baja travelers.

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 10:55 PM

Thanks Graham, I was hoping you would do a follow up and here it is. I appreciate you sharing the photos with us.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Thanks Graham, I was hoping you would do a follow up and here it is. I appreciate you sharing the photos with us.

P>*)))>{

I also appreciate the photos, Graham. I remember attending a Discover Baja slide/super-8 presentation featuring Marv and Althea Patchen roughly 10 years ago. It was an amazing speech and collection of images. I appreciate how you placed this information here for us to read and view.

Thanks,

Ken

MPatchen

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 02:08 PM
Thanks to everyone!

I want to thank everyone for their kind words regarding my father. And I’d especially like to thank Bonni and Graham for going down to Casa Patchen and help spread his ashes and celebrate his life.

Also I was amused and pleased to see that my father will live on in Baja, even if in name only as a minimarket in San Quintin…

Mike Patchen

[Edited on 11-20-2011 by MPatchen]

A_001.jpg - 36kB
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2011 at 12:19 AM

Mike, just wanted to say how fascinating it was to know both of your parents!!

I remember your mom as being one of the first women off road racers, read of their travels in magazines when I was young,
loved their Baja Adventures book,
enjoyed the show your dad put on at Discover Baja about 11 years ago, then was privilaged to have them as guests at my Viva Baja parties, and finally to spend the weekend with them in Canebrake (hot tub incl)!

Here is the web page I made of our Canebrake weekend in 2005: http://vivabaja.com/patchen/

Marvin talking about his book as I hold it up to our guests at Viva Baja #3 (2002)

Vaya Con Dios Marvin Patchen, you were a GREAT friend to Baja California!

[Edited on 11-21-2011 by David K]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 06:17 PM

Remembering a great friend of Baja... Marvin Patchen...

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 06:43 PM
thanks DK and all !!

I dont know if I ever met the man, at the pemex,dock,taco stand....but I sure would say Hola !! and that plane is a GOOD concept !!! put twin floats with inner wheels and you could do T/D's all day !!! I know this is a old thread and I'm glad that I saw/read it...........Is his wife "athena" still at the "cabin" or living somewhere else ??.............K&T:cool:
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Remembering a great friend of Baja... Marvin Patchen...

It was great that your brought this thread back to the forefront, again. Thanks, David!:yes:

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.