BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Live Music Returns to Tailhunter
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-11-2011 at 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SirenaWe are a Mom and Pop place. This is our baby and we take very much pride in all that we do. Jonathan and I make all the decisions and are responsible for all the successes and failures. The buck stops here so to speak and your heat/harshness is therefore mine to take.

Have you or your personal friends ever padded the reviews on Trip Advisor or similar website? If you are "not perfect", how did you get to be the top rated restaurant in La Paz? Do you think you should be the top rated restaurant in La Paz? Do you think the quality of your food, the presentation, and the ambiance should be rated higher than the restaurants you just mentioned?

Oh, nevermind.
Sirena
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2011 at 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
Quote:
Originally posted by SirenaWe are a Mom and Pop place. This is our baby and we take very much pride in all that we do. Jonathan and I make all the decisions and are responsible for all the successes and failures. The buck stops here so to speak and your heat/harshness is therefore mine to take.

Have you or your personal friends ever padded the reviews on Trip Advisor or similar website? If you are "not perfect", how did you get to be the top rated restaurant in La Paz? Do you think you should be the top rated restaurant in La Paz? Do you think the quality of your food, the presentation, and the ambiance should be rated higher than the restaurants you just mentioned?

Oh, nevermind.

No we do not, if you knew us you would realize just how laughable that is. Nor do we have trolls on message boards. Our reputations are very well known to many. Nobody is perfect, including us, but we are honest.

Questions asked by the Trip Advisor system is more a customer satisfaction system. (check it out) It is not a five star system, rating more is how well do you do what it is that you do. A hot dog stand can do better that a place serving 120 bottles of wine and kobe beef if they satisfy their customer better.

Jilly
Melondeverdad

[*] posted on 6-11-2011 at 03:23 PM

Quote:
No we do not, if you knew us you would realize just how laughable that is. Nor do we have trolls on message boards.

Ummm Jilly, if by troll you mean me, well maybe I can see the arrogance Gnukid was referring to. I'm apparently the only one on this board that has actually eaten at your establishment and enjoyed it and I'm a troll? :rolleyes:

By the way, you must be doing something that is p*ssing people off, because the last time I was in town a taxi driver told me you were no longer in business.
Sirena
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2011 at 03:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Melondeverdad
No we do not, if you knew us you would realize just how laughable that is. Nor do we have trolls on message boards.

Ummm Jilly, if by troll you mean me, well maybe I can see the arrogance Gnukid was referring to. I'm apparently the only one on this board that has actually eaten at your establishment and enjoyed it and I'm a troll? :rolleyes:

By the way, you must be doing something that is p*ssing people off, because the last time I was in town a taxi driver told me you were no longer in business.

No, no, didn't mean you. A troll is usually someone being prompted by someone to post a certain way. And some of the drivers are mad at us because we don't like paying mordida to the drivers to bring peeps here. Captive audience and not fair to the tourists. Just one of the unions that I know of.....

Jilly
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-11-2011 at 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
This shouldn't be hard:

A 2-3 person band can play in a open space without blasting out the diners and neighbors. Turn the sound system to volume 1 and do not have the speakers facing the neighbors, baffles or hanging cloth can help too.

A restaurant should be able to serve fresh fish and seafood prepared daily, fresh salads from local produce, Sonoran steak and hamburgers.

Staff should be able to speak spanish as well as some english, staff should understand that patron's satisfaction is the key to success. After you succeed, perhaps then is the time to become arrogant jerks, not before.

Items that should not be served:

frozen in box coconut battered shrimp shipped from walmart
frozen salads
frenchfries, onionrings from a frozen bag

Why is this so difficult at Tailhunter and why has such nonsense been going on for so long? How is it possible that you call yourself top notch yet the food is the lowest grade possible?

Who is making the decisions? Why not share these notes with them and be honest that the problem is probably top level management interfering with daily employees? Is it Jilly/Sirena? Whoever is making decisions should simply take a class in restaurant services and keep working at it, experiment, try harder, respect the customer and the culture. The restaurant is a debacle, it's among the worst restaurants I have ever been to in terms of food and service. Yet it claims to be this awesome amazing fish place? If it were a dive bar restaurant that said we serve TV dinners perhaps my expectations would be more line with what you deliver and the whole thing wouldn't be so offensive.

newkid:
you are a real piece of work. would be illustrative if you told people how you support yourself, where your money came from. while the restaurant deserves reviews (don't they all), it deserves reviewers that understand what it takes to work for a living.

[Edited on 6-11-2011 by mtgoat666]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2011 at 04:03 PM

This thread is disintegrating.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-11-2011 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Oh yeah...I like that. If I don't have any friends, can I go in alone or do I still have to drink in my car?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

sad.gif posted on 6-11-2011 at 07:44 PM
HOLY CRAP

Sirena posts telling local people that "Laura & The Baja South Band" will be playing at Tailhunter Sunday evening.

The first response disses the name of the establishment & the business, equates Tailhunters to “the worst of Cabo experience” & predicts La Paz’s demise because of this one establishment. Tailhunter is NOT “Cabo Wabo, Squid Roe and Giggling Marlin, rolled into one”....it’s not any of them separately. Then in total arrogance advises, “As best I can remember, Sirena, you weren't anywhere near La Paz four years ago.”....as though she might be mistaken about when they established their fishing business here & later their restaurant! Adding insult to injury, “I just have a bit of a problem with the motif and advertising of the Tailhunter restaurant, as it reminds me way too much of what happened in Cabo.” You might want to actually visit Tailhunter so that you could offer firsthand information, rather than making assumptions based on other places you have been to, apparently found lacking & a glance at their website.

How can someone diss a place they’ve admitted they have never even BEEN to?:?:

Then a bunch of other people jump on the attack wagon from all over the map & after reading all the posts several times trying to figure out just what the hell Sirena said or did to get all this abuse dumped on her, it appears that only one dissee has clearly been a patron; albeit a less than satisfied one! Even the people who have given positive personal experiences are attacked! :(

• Have I personally been to Tailhunters? Yes
• Have I eaten at Tailhunters? Yes
• How do I feel about the ambiance of Tailhunters? It is NOT neon or garish, trendy or ”cool”, it does not stand out from the surrounding businesses, it’s façade & decor are well-suited to it’s location & theme. Food is good & fairly priced.
• Have I personally met Sirena & Jonathan? Yes and I found each of them to be down-to-earth genuinely nice people.
• Am I a friend, a troll or a paid poster? NO! The opinions expressed are my own, based on my own personal experiences, not their website or the feeding frenzy of attacks here on BN!
• Will I ever volunteer to Sirena or Jonathan I’m a Nomad? Hell no!! I’m ashamed to be associated with all of the people who attacked Sirena & the restaurant!

Are you bashers proud of your actions? Rhetorical question, it’s apparent to me that most of you don’t have a conscience to tell you how inappropriate your words are.

Gnukid, if you honestly feel as strongly as you’ve expressed here, have you ever taken the time to talk directly with Sirena or Jonathan while you’re there, so they could have a chance to rectify your myriad of complaints on the spot? Your posts here have shocked me in both your spoken & implied criticisms, more than any others. I don’t always agree with your posts, but I think you’ve surpassed yourself in blatantly condescending over-the-top rudeness in this thread.

Sirena has shown more class in her responses than the entire group of vultures picking at her combined!

And yes, I've experienced "Laura & the Baja South Band"....several times & love them! The songs & manner in which they're performed instantly transports me back to my teens & early 20's when most of their repertoire first came out!:bounce:
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2011 at 10:22 PM

The quality issues experienced at Tailhunter are probably more simple mistakes, freezing food is a great way to keep things fresh, but if in the process of restaurant work, some people do not understand that you can not allow the food to become defrosted food, then refreeze that food, again, then defrost it and so forth. It becomes mushy and tasteless, or watery-which is among the issues I experienced. This could be a simple process issue with how food is prepared here that is decreasing the quality and flavor, due to basic food management, while other processes such as evening prep and cooking is correct. Could be the fridge or power management is the issue, these are things to look at for Jilly.

We really do want to the place to succeed and be a nice place to bring friends. I hope you take the comments to heart and consider that I am being sincere, I have tried repeatedly to visit, we all talk about the troubles there with food and the bands, that as customers we become very disappointed by poor quality food, especially seafood, and when we spend our hard earned money after a long day of work we just want something that tastes like the thing it supposed to be, not crappy, and when we share La Paz with visitors we hope for a pleasant and enjoyable dinner.

I honestly do not believe the staff is the issue. I am guessing that the top level management or whoever is phoning this one in is the culprit. Perhaps someone is trying to manage a restaurant from offsite, or they are too busy.

I have more ideas, I'll keep 'em coming I really hope this helps Tailhunter become a place that we can go to for reliably healthy tasty food and good service, along with occasional sports and entertainment.

For those who claim to be offended, I apologize, perhaps there is a sense of pride in la Paz, from fantastic options for seafood to great meats and increasingly good vegetables, and an amazing diversity of music and talent, I was offended by my experience. I do work hard, I'm not rich, not sure why people accuse me of being wealthy, perhaps being a worker who enjoys a great cooking and the restaurant experience is the reason I feel strongly about the experiences I have had there.

Whether its my friends who arrive by boat, or by car, kiters, surfers, fisherman, I want them to enjoy the city, I want to go to Tailhunters. I can't tell you how many times I have gone and been unable to eat the food, or the number of times I have said no more, and sat at home when I wanted to go there and enjoy the game and a meal but my previous experience was discouraging.

It's my sincere dream that Tailhunters delivers a great experience and that we pack them in there, so perhaps that is why I have been disappointed by the coconut shrimp, hamburgers, fries, salad, drinks, fish, basics, even the salsa was lackluster.

Not to say many other La Paz restaurants have had unpredictable food and service, we do have a less than consistent clientele which presents a hard problem to solve for restauranteurs. Certainly the fluxuation of visitors is not something to blame on Tailhunter, I wish the place my sincere best and hope that they can remain and become a place we can visit regularly.

[Edited on 6-12-2011 by gnukid]
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 6-11-2011 at 11:03 PM

Maybe you and all your friends should go somewhere else guu....I doubt that Tailhunter would miss the business.....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2011 at 11:21 PM

Let's say you went to a mechanic for an oil change and they screwed up causing the motor to blow, or you got your house painted but the paint was bad, or you ordered a meal and it was horrible and you felt bad, these types of things in my mind are a failure to complete a contract, verging on criminal and certainly negligent.

As a consumer, and someone who works for every penny I save, I do take pride in clearly communicating to business owners where they failed, especially when it's obviously in the category of services contracted were not delivered as promised.

It's also to my benefit to encourage good businesses and promote them and to communicate poor performance to business that under perform. It's my duty to do so, to my community, and to myself.

I appreciate many awesome places in La Paz and apparently I enjoy a great dinner experience. Perhaps, in this case, the issue is too high of expectations in relation to what is delivered.

I admit, I send thank you cards when service is great, I bring flowers to chefs, I leave large tips whenever it's deserved. The moment that tailhunter steps up to the plate and serves a nice meal and treats people nicely, including it's staff and bands, then the place will be packed and if they will have me I will be there and of course send people there. In the mean time, I can not encourage anyone to risk their health nor risk peace of mind to pay for a poor quality experience with hard earned money.

The responsibility for any restaurant is primarily the responsibility of the owner. I would guess the owner is not hands on yet does not delegate or does not give his full trust and confidence to the manager which results in poor execution and low performance.

[Edited on 6-12-2011 by gnukid]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-12-2011 at 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Let's say you went to a mechanic for an oil change and they screwed up causing the motor to blow, or you got your house painted but the paint was bad, or you ordered a meal and it was horrible and you felt bad, these types of things in my mind are a failure to complete a contract, verging on criminal and certainly negligent.

these things are "criminal?"

and bad cooking is "negligent?"

a bad paint job is criminal negligence?
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 6-12-2011 at 06:06 AM

:no:, ease up people!!! I have been to Tailhunter several times in the past 6 months. Have always had friendly waiters, a pleasant greeting from the hostess downstairs, and better than average sports bar type food. The breakfast there is quite good, the view from the second level is great!

The food business is tough, and Jonathan and Jill seem to be doing a good job, trying to improve, and are nice people to boot!

Different strokes for different folks. If it is not your cup of tea, stay away! There is no reason to trash the place on this forum, or any other. :fire:

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-12-2011 at 06:34 AM

If ya put up an add .... one must take the good with the bad... just the way the game is played...

Sure it will all work out... either the place does good or __________

Still waiting for some pictures from bass.... or did the old lady kick ya out already... ya Orange County drop out.... :lol::lol:

It's all good... peace out...

oldlady
Banned

[*] posted on 6-12-2011 at 07:04 AM

I'm with bass on this one. Sorry you have had a bad experience gnukid.
I don't go to any restaurants all that much, had to do way too much of that in another life. Been to Tailhunter three times, two lunches and a dinner, service was excellent, atmosphere enjoyable and food, always subjective, very good on all visits.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2011 at 07:52 AM

Quote:
Different strokes for different folks. If it is not your cup of tea, stay away! There is no reason to trash the place on this forum, or any other. :fire:

Well said!!!
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-12-2011 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz You might want to actually visit Tailhunter so that you could offer firsthand information, rather than making assumptions based on other places you have been to, apparently found lacking & a glance at their website.

How can someone diss a place they’ve admitted they have never even BEEN to?:?:

In a word, YES, I can diss the place without going there! The owner of Tailhunter came on this forum to promote her establishment. She was the one who first touted her place as No. 1 on Trip Advisor in La Paz. Now some are upset because Tailhunter is not everyone's "cup of tea."

I don't care if they have the best food, the best band, or the best view from the second floor. I object to their immature, demeaning charcature of women as a "piece of tail." This is a reference more appropriate for snickers in a high school boy's locker room. I don't care if it is the name of their restaurant or the name of their fishing boat, most men know what they are referring to - saying it refers to fishing is disengenous (snicker snicker, wink wink). It is like the Happy Endings Cantina and the Pink Kitty names, - an offensive degradation of women.

Now the owner of Tailhunter will next make a post that says that they have the highest regard for women and treat them with respect. And there will be women patrons who will say they have never received any bad vibes there. But it is Sirena herself who said, "Tailhunter, that's who we are."

I don't care if they were the ONLY restaurant in town, I wouldn't eat there. We don't eat out much in La Paz but when do, we chose to spend our money elsewhere. Yes, I know Tailhunter will not miss my patronage, but it is not my cup of tea and I shouldn't be flamed for saying so.

For those who might want to flame me, allow me to do it for you. Yes, I AM an old fuddy-duddy who can't take a harmless joke (snicker snicker, wink wink)........but that is just who I am. I think that women deserve more respect, not less.
Melondeverdad

[*] posted on 6-12-2011 at 10:19 AM

Quote:

I don't care if they have the best food, the best band, or the best view from the second floor. I object to their immature, demeaning charcature of women as a "piece of tail." This is a reference more appropriate for snickers in a high school boy's locker room. I don't care if it is the name of their restaurant or the name of their fishing boat, most men know what they are referring to - saying it refers to fishing is disengenous (snicker snicker, wink wink). It is like the Happy Endings Cantina and the Pink Kitty names, - an offensive degradation of women.

Now the owner of Tailhunter will next make a post that says that they have the highest regard for women and treat them with respect. And there will be women patrons who will say they have never received any bad vibes there. But it is Sirena herself who said, "Tailhunter, that's who we are."

Thank goodness we have people like Oxxo keeping Mexico safe from double entendres. Definitely this is an important issue for women across this nation.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2011 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
I object to their immature, demeaning charcature of women as a "piece of tail."

I kinda like it myself.

Anyway.....I thought this thread was disintigrating, but it seems to thrive on childishness. Carry on, kids.

Who's going to arrainge for the "Grace Under Fire" plaque to hang on Jilly's wall when all the dust settles?

Jeeeezo....so much unadulterated baloney over nothing.
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2011 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirena
Thank you all for the feedback. It is appreciated. In our defense I would like to clarify a few misconceptions....
Tailhunter as in fish tail and has been the name of the fleet for years. FUBAR is a pull from the war and both have double meanings our fishermen have always gotten a kick out of it. It is who we are so that became the name of the restaurant.

oxxo, as a member of the female of the species, I also deplore comments and/or actions demeaning women....but since Sirena explained (above quote) the origin of their name is derived from fishing, I believe you're stuck on choosing to continue to believe the name somehow demeans women. IMO, it doesn't. If I felt it did or if it offended me, I'd be the first to speak loudly & clearly against it. While I can appreciate & applaud your logic & your views toward respect for women; in this instance; I feel you're off base in your conclusion. Yes, I do understand the meaning of double entendre, but in this particular instance, I believe you're zeroed in & locked on the incorrect possibilities.

For what it's worth, I wasn't speaking only to you personally, I was speaking to a collective group of several posters who'd made it fairly clear that they'd never even been to Tailhunters but felt it was acceptable to publicly diss/trash them with no personal firsthand knowledge or experience.

While I can respect your right to your opinion, I can also respectfully agree to disagree.

Also, I personally place ZERO faith in TripAdvisors rating system, as many here have indicated, it's fraught with self-promoters....of which I personally do not believe Sirena or Jonathan are guilty of. I prefer to make my own decisions on the merit, or lack thereof, of a place based on my own personal assessments....I've never been one to follow the crowd. ;)
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.