Pages:  1  2    4  ..  7
Author: Subject: Update on Juanita
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Oh Sally, this breaks my heart. I wish I were close enough to help you. Is there anything that I can do for you or Juanita here in Los Cabos.
Hang in there and know that all of we Nomads are praying for a happy ending.
Thanks Judy.There may be something you can do.She has lots of friends down there but her store will need to be vacated and all of her stuff put into a storage.Same with the house.There are 8 cats there right now, two sets of babies.Not sure what will be done with htem.Her Nanny is staying there(she is a live-in) And hopefully her boyfriend also who works for Juanita, so I guess all is safe there.I will keep you updated and thanks for your generous offer of help.

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 03:33 PM

Sally. I fervently hope that Juanita can overcome the current situation. And props to you for caring and working so hard.

I have first hand knowledge of how slow the application process can be to many of the programs that have been mentioned, as I have been fairly close to the position that you are in right now. Especially MSI.

That said, has anyone even noticed that basically all the programs that have been mentioned here, while life savers for so many, are under strongly under attack by the Repubs who seek to eliminate them???
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 10:33 PM

Sally, both you and your daughter have been on my mind all day, after reading your post.

My daughter and I have worked in the healthcare field, here in California for many years, we have seen lots of good and even a little bad.

My Story: My family and I have been on the cancer trail along with my 35 yo daughter, as she has been fighting Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. Her Doctor told her that 90% of his Lymphoma patients require no further treatment after the first round of Chemo. When that did not work, he gave the same odds for a remission with a second round of Chemo. When that did not work and we had begun to feel hopeless and wondered about her life span and what would happen to her 4 yo daughter, we all decided to fight and pray. Many prayers and tears were offered by both friends and family and she is now in remission after a stem cell treatment. Although the stem cell was brutal on her body, she is in remission, keeping her own home going, taking care of her daughter (now 5) and seeking new employment that can accommodate her needs due to some of the left over effects from the stem cell process. To look at her today, you would only see a healthy vibrant mom, daughter and wife. Keep up the faith and give a good fight, the system (California Healthcare) has given her and our family a new lease on life, I pray that you have the same outcome. JH
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 10:43 PM

So sorry to hear this. You may try contacting the The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, they may have good advice to offer. My Mom was just diagnosed with a different form of Leukemia . The copay for her meds was supposed to $4,600.00 per month but some foundation has committed to paying that bill for 3 years, $165,000 in total. So, there is help, you really need to get some help navigating the system. I don't know how my folks found out about this group but I will find out and let you know. Meanwhile, quoting Dennis, I pray.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 10:54 PM

If theres anything i can do, LMK.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-19-2011 at 12:10 AM

This doesnt seem like the place or time to discuss the politics of medical coverage. It's a tough question, unto itself.

Sally needs tough answers, right now.

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2011 at 07:16 AM

I am not going to go into the politics of this issue, but after having gone through the cancer treatment not only with my wife, but all of the people that we met while in treatment, I do know for a fact that what Juanita needs to do is to check into the emergency room at a major hospital and she will get admitted to the cancer treatment center. We had a good friend who was basically broke with no health insurance at all and she developed breast cancer. Her treatment was almost on par with the treatment that Marika received with the only possible exception being that she received her chemo at the hospital while Marika got to relax in the easy chair at the Cancer Center. So you will have to be a little persistent in your approach and basically indicate that Juanita can not pay for her stay, but that she goes in through the emergency room and they will treat her. That means that you pick the best hospital with a cancer treatment program and go in to the emergency room there.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2011 at 10:08 AM

you are in my prayers. can someone give me some background on Juanita ?

also, can someone in the States set up a pyapal account so we can contribute a little to help cover costs of a babysitter/food/clothes for the kids ?

[Edited on 6-20-2011 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-20-2011 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
you are in my prayers. can someone give me some background on Juanita ?

I met Juanita in Feb. 2003 when she attended Viva Baja 4... Here is the photo and caption from the web page for Viva Baja 4

Maalaea Garcia and Juanita Miller are Msal's (Sallysouth's)beautiful daughters.
Juanita owns El Fuerte Sportfishing in
Puerto Escondido, Baja California Sur. http://www.elfuerte.com/

Since then, El Fuerte Sportfishing has moved to Cabo San Lucas and more recently I believe it is no longer in the fishing business?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2011 at 01:19 PM

thanks David.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2011 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
I am not going to go into the politics of this issue, but after having gone through the cancer treatment not only with my wife, but all of the people that we met while in treatment, I do know for a fact that what Juanita needs to do is to check into the emergency room at a major hospital and she will get admitted to the cancer treatment center. We had a good friend who was basically broke with no health insurance at all and she developed breast cancer. Her treatment was almost on par with the treatment that Marika received with the only possible exception being that she received her chemo at the hospital while Marika got to relax in the easy chair at the Cancer Center. So you will have to be a little persistent in your approach and basically indicate that Juanita can not pay for her stay, but that she goes in through the emergency room and they will treat her. That means that you pick the best hospital with a cancer treatment program and go in to the emergency room there.

I agree with Pescador... find the best cancer treatment hospital you can (Scripps comes to mind) and take her to the emergency room. Honest to goodness, Sally, they will (have to!) accept her and then will treat her. I know this as fact based on treatment of a family member and of a close friend.

Do not allow this insurance rigmarole to waste valuable time during which Juanita could be receiving treatment. The Medi-Cal/MediCare issues will be handled by hospital social workers and administration after she has begun to ring up bills.

Just take her to emergency at your hospital of choice.... and refuse to leave until she is seen. You will be well within your rights, so don't be afraid to do this.

I'll send you a u2u with my personal contact info.... and we can talk further if you wish.

nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2011 at 04:46 PM

Take he to the ER. They will admit her. That comes directly from an ER doc.

yuletide
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 6-20-2011 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann
I agree with Pescador... find the best cancer treatment hospital you can (Scripps comes to mind) and take her to the emergency room. Honest to goodness, Sally, they will (have to!) accept her and then will treat her. I know this as fact based on treatment of a family member and of a close friend.

Do not allow this insurance rigmarole to waste valuable time during which Juanita could be receiving treatment. The Medi-Cal/MediCare issues will be handled by hospital social workers and administration after she has begun to ring up bills.

Just take her to emergency at your hospital of choice.... and refuse to leave until she is seen. You will be well within your rights, so don't be afraid to do this.

nena

Ditto. This is exactly right. Drive her to Scripps Green Hospital. Now, if possible. With her condition, admittance into the ER will be no problem.

u2u me if you need transportation or any local assistance.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 6-20-2011 at 11:53 PM
Juanitas newest update

She was accepted into the Medical system and moved from Mission Hospital (awesome people there) and taken by ambulance to UCI. She called me soon after and said they all spoke Chinese! She is the Chao Family wing.The wanted her to get up and walk, which she hasn't done for months.I cannot see her, as I have a new stress related crp, Shingles.! Any how, Thats the story for now, so beat.I'm back online now and will report manana.Don Jorge and his Fiance Rebecca have offered their farm grown food to help all of the families(4 in all) that are pulling together to help us.I can't thank you all enough for the love and concern you have given me and my family.Keep praying, as Juanita is now going to go through the fight of her life(chemo, etc.)Abrazos, Sally

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2011 at 07:14 AM

Thanks Sally.....I continue to pray.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2011 at 09:33 AM

Yea! thank you for the update Sally, and take care of yourself, please!

Abrazos,
Paulina

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2011 at 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jenny.navarrette
Sally, I am so sorry about Juanita. I know nothing about your family, but I have ideas.

If Juanita is a US citizen with a social security number, or has permanent residency, and has worked in the US at some time, she can apply immediately for social security disability benefits. This can be done on the internet. There is an emergency procedure called "Presumptive Disability Payments" which can get her some money right away. If she gets on Social Security disability, she will eventually qualify for medicare. Once on SS, her children can qualify for supplemental income support benefits until they are 18.

Also, being that you are in California, the kids can qualify for "Healthy Families" medical insurance through the state. It is very cheap, something like $10 per month for ful
Finally, I believe California's Medi-cal is for indigents who are residents of California.

Start working on that if Juanita is a legal resident or US citizen.

[Edited on 6-18-2011 by jenny.navarrette]

I dont know this young lady (Juanita ) but I am a person willing to help, as I and many many others helped the little baby that was brought to our attention because of her bad heart. It is my relationship with my Lord and Savior which compels me to share what I have been given. If somebody could set up a Paypal Acct. I'm sure we could get some much needed help to these people. God Bless you Juanita.

[Edited on 6-23-2011 by BajaNomad]

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2011 at 10:44 AM

If a PayPal account is in order, it may be best to do it in Sally's name. Let us know when it's ready.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2011 at 11:10 AM

yahooo !!!! We are so glad she was accepted into the system and is now at UCI ...see what positive energy and prayers can achieve ??? ya hoooo.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaSedoso
Junior Nomad

Mood: Dreaming of Baja

[*] posted on 6-21-2011 at 05:35 PM

Hello Sally,
I am very sorry to hear about Juanita's health issue but I am glad that she is getting the needed treatment now. I would recommend checking with Breast Cancer Solutions @ http://www.bcsurvivors.org/ or 866.960.9222 for information on how to navigate financial and health care issues. Due to their mission they can only directly support breast cancer patient but they provide information to other cancer patients as well. They are located in Orange County.
Also, please check your U2U.
Bajasedoso
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.