Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  15
Author: Subject: Mexican Boat "Erik" Capsizes
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 01:54 PM

USCG frequently will participate and assist in searches..borders not withstanding...
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
What authority does the California Secretary of State have over a Mexican sportfishing business? Does that mean they can't operate in US waters?

It probably means he hasn't kept his corporate paperwork up to date or paid the fees.

I think this is correct. Corporation set up in San Diego for booking. Probably didn't report or pay taxes to State Franchise Board.

Mexican National owning Mexican Fish Boats in Mexico? The suspension in California would have to do with taxes on booking. The operation of the boat in Mexican waters is a separate issue.

The boat did not even originate the trip in San Diego. It was operating in the Sea of Cortez.

If it had it's Mexican operating license pulled it would be by Mexico; not the U.S....... This would have nothing to do with the State of California.

Safety issues? Insurance issues? More probable as a reason for citing, by Mexico, if that happened at all. :?:

KASHEYDOG
Senior Nomad

Mood: SO MANY TACOS, SO LITTLE TIME... Gotta Go, See ya there....:bounce:

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by krafty
Why would the US Coast Guard be brought in?

At the "request" of Mexican authorities Sunday morning. They needed help.

Don\'t mess with the old dog...... Age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery! Brilliance only comes with age and experience..... :smug: .... :P .... :smug:
Are you getting the most out of life OR is life getting the most out of you ?? :?:

Twenty years from now you\'ll be more disappointed by the things you didn\'t do then the things you did.
O.G.
Nomad

Mood: waiting for the green flash

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 03:34 PM
EPIRB questions

Quote:
and epirb works better than spot, because epirb is automatically set off in sinking situation like this.
spot does not float, spot is not automatic, spot is not registered to a specific vessel, spot is not rugged/waterproof, spot is not linked to noaa sarsat.

in the US a USCG-licensed vessel like this would have had an epirb -- required by USCG.

I have an epirb on my boat but have not had it activated to see if it would save my life. However, I also have an epirb (the newer 406 frequency) on my plane and let me tell you what happened recently.

Last year, while taxing to depart Ensenada airport, I heard an unfamilar sound on my radios while talking to the tower. Didn't know what it was and mentioned it to the tower with no helpful feedback. Filed a flite plan from Ensenada and flew to San Felipe and got a room, etc. Next day happened to contact my wife who said all hell broke loose; SAR from Florida called my emergency contacts (in laws); who called my wife; who was told that my epirb went off SOMEWHERE in Mexico and that my plane was lost SOMEWHERE in Mexico.

It turned out to be a faulty installation of the new epirb and it activated and was transmitting all that time. However, no one knew where I was -- remember, a Mexican flite plan was filed from Ensenada to San Felipe. Just to make matters more complicated, after I called SAR in Florida and removed the battery from the faulty epirb, they were STILL getting an epirb signal from San Felipe -- another airplane transmitting?? They knew the other signal was from San Felipe, but had me listed as lost and possibly down somewhere in Mexico.

I'm glad I wasn't down for real and expecting an immediate rescue just cause I had an epirb... .
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 04:27 PM

I didn't see that this news video had been posted anywhere, including survivor interviews, map & animations ... http://abcnews.go.com/Health/missing-erik-fishing-boat-capsi...
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 05:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by O.G.
and epirb works better than spot, because epirb is automatically set off in sinking situation like this.
spot does not float, spot is not automatic, spot is not registered to a specific vessel, spot is not rugged/waterproof, spot is not linked to noaa sarsat.

in the US a USCG-licensed vessel like this would have had an epirb -- required by USCG.

I have an epirb on my boat but have not had it activated to see if it would save my life. However, I also have an epirb (the newer 406 frequency) on my plane and let me tell you what happened recently.

Last year, while taxing to depart Ensenada airport, I heard an unfamilar sound on my radios while talking to the tower. Didn't know what it was and mentioned it to the tower with no helpful feedback. Filed a flite plan from Ensenada and flew to San Felipe and got a room, etc. Next day happened to contact my wife who said all hell broke loose; SAR from Florida called my emergency contacts (in laws); who called my wife; who was told that my epirb went off SOMEWHERE in Mexico and that my plane was lost SOMEWHERE in Mexico.

It turned out to be a faulty installation of the new epirb and it activated and was transmitting all that time. However, no one knew where I was -- remember, a Mexican flite plan was filed from Ensenada to San Felipe. Just to make matters more complicated, after I called SAR in Florida and removed the battery from the faulty epirb, they were STILL getting an epirb signal from San Felipe -- another airplane transmitting?? They knew the other signal was from San Felipe, but had me listed as lost and possibly down somewhere in Mexico.

I'm glad I wasn't down for real and expecting an immediate rescue just cause I had an epirb... .

so always pack a signal mirror anyway? We pay for technology to increase our chances, not waste them. :saint:

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
bajaday

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 05:43 PM

Just back from a day down to Punta Bufeo area. Army had several truck load of troops there, some just arriving. We counted 3 boats, one appeared to be working combing the rocks, 2 on stand-by. Also, mexican divers were suited up. C-130 was flying its rounds.

We headed back north and saw the 130 drop two flares in fairly close proximity at Huerfanito, 1 boat responding to each flare. While watching at the turnout, a truck stopped to ask if we knew what was going on. One passenger was the son of one of the missing men just in from Sacramento to search for his father, equipped with flyers with pictures of the missing men.

Continue your prayers for rescue, and at the very least, the recovery of these individuals. It was a humbling experience to talk to the young man about his dad..he had such strength!!! Our hearts surely go out to all and we hope for the best possible outcome.
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaday
Just back from a day down to Punta Bufeo area. Army had several truck load of troops there, some just arriving. We counted 3 boats, one appeared to be working combing the rocks, 2 on stand-by. Also, mexican divers were suited up. C-130 was flying its rounds.

We headed back north and saw the 130 drop two flares in fairly close proximity at Huerfanito, 1 boat responding to each flare. While watching at the turnout, a truck stopped to ask if we knew what was going on. One passenger was the son of one of the missing men just in from Sacramento to search for his father, equipped with flyers with pictures of the missing men.

Continue your prayers for rescue, and at the very least, the recovery of these individuals. It was a humbling experience to talk to the young man about his dad..he had such strength!!! Our hearts surely go out to all and we hope for the best possible outcome.

The last I heard, the reason Mexico wanted to call off the search for the missing people earlier today was they believed the victims were still in the sunken boat. I'm sure I'd search and make flyers too- to keep my mind from getting ahead of the facts.

[Edited on 7-6-2011 by Woooosh]

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 06:37 PM

Amazing to me as I look at the picture;
As has been said before, the Eric was one of many converted shrimpers.
It originally had a small 2-story superstructure forward.
The 3-story guest living quarters was added after the last hull painting.
If you look at the photo, you can plainly see that the forward water line has risen; the aft has deepened.
The center-of-gravity has been moved aft and upward making the boat much less stable than originally designed.
The highest deck was the open area where most of the crew sleeps in hammocks - adding more weight to raise and destabalize the CG at night.
It was an accident waiting to happen.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Amazing to me as I look at the picture;
It originally had a small 2-story superstructure forward.
If you look at the photo, you can plainly see that the forward water line has risen; the aft has deepened.
The center-of-gravity has been moved aft and upward making the boat much less stable than originally designed.
The highest deck was the open area where most of the crew sleeps in hammocks - adding more weight to raise and destabalize the CG at night.
It was an accident waiting to happen.

No, it was a boat that was bought in Holland and transported to the Sea of Cortez. It has been significantly altered since being in San Felipe. I have been hearing negative stories about this boat and operation for years, but there are also some very positive things said about this boat, so who knows, but you are right, it has been significantly modified since it first came over from Holland.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 07:46 PM

Quote:

really? where was it said?

Quote:

really?
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 08:14 PM
Ceres man confirmed dead in Baja boat mishap

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/07/05/...

By Erin Allday
July 5, 2011

A 65-year-old Ceres retiree is the first confirmed death from a fishing boat excursion in Mexico that ended in tragedy early Sunday when a sudden, unexpected storm capsized the vessel and tossed dozens of Americans tourists, most of them from the Bay Area, into the turbulent water.

Leslie Yee was identified by the Mexican Navy today as the man whose body had been found on shore after the boat sank. Yee had worked for The Chronicle for 37 years before he retired as a transportation manager in December 2009.

"His friends have been bugging him to go on this trip for the past few years, but he's always been busy with work and kids and that kind of thing," said Yee's daughter, Lauren Yee of San Francisco. At his retirement party, co-workers gave him fishing supplies because they all knew it was his passion, said his former boss.

"I kind of encouraged him to go this year, because he's a workaholic and not one of the adventurous types," Lauren Yee said. "Life is too short and I thought he should do everything and see everything. He was excited to go."

...Mandy Lee, daughter of missing boater Don Lee, said her father organized the trip of close friends, who were all experienced fishermen. She said the Mexican Navy would call off the search by Friday at 2 a.m.

"We're holding onto hope very closely right now," Lee said. "There's a few islands out there they could wash up on, and we're just hopeful that they'll find my dad and his friends, maybe on one of those islands."

BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 09:11 PM

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gOwC4BAdjz...

Below is the list of passengers and crew on the fishing boat Erik that capsized in the Gulf of California, according to the Mexican Navy.

Confirmed dead:

Leslie Yee
___

Missing:

Don Lee
Russell Bautista
Mark Dorland
Brian Wong
Al Mein
Gene J. Leong
Shawn Chaddock
___

Rescued:

Roman A. Amador Farias
Jose Maria Diaz Ordonez
Marco A. Villa Bejarano
Azor Quintana R.
Charles Gibson
Cary Hanson
Michael Kui Min Ng
Jim Miller
Steven Sloneker
Richard Ciabattari
Lee Ikegami
Gary Wong
Craig Wong
Glen Wong
Pius Zuger
David Levine
Jerry Garcia
Bruce Marr
Adolph Joseph Beeler
Marcelino Morales Villegas
Robert Higgins
Ross Anderson
Crispin Contreras Montes
Alejandro Bermudez E.
Miguel A. Lima Toledo
Miguel Camacho Rubio
Joel Castro Castro
Carlos Miranda Gutierrez
J. Rodrigo Romero Fernandez
Hector M. Rubio Quintero
J. Jesus Sillas Ruiz
Jesus Alfredo Cesena
Miguel A. Alcantara Castro
Dennis Deluca
Warren Tsurumoto

BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 09:18 PM
Fiance missing at sea, woman holds on to hope

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/07/05/eveningnews/main20...

July 5, 2011
By Ben Tracy

...Kristina Bronstein says she's "devastated beyond belief." Her husband was onboard. He's still missing, but she thinks he's alive.

"I'm just going with my gut instinct in that I think he's somewhere. I don't think he's doing well. I don't think he's passed," Bronstein said.

...Richard Ciabattari believes he swam 8 miles to shore after being tossed into the water. He called his wife Jan Askew from a pay phone.

"I asked how he was doing. He said he was ok but that the boat had sunk," Askew said. "I was of course in shock."

...Mexican authorities are now working to get the rescued home. Most drove to Mexico from San Francisco. Their car keys and passports are now at the bottom of the ocean.

Nappo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 10:18 PM

As a long baja fisherdude for over 30 years along with many friends stuff happens. We have experienced the death of baja friends this past Nov in a plane crash, another baja pilot crashed and died from Hisperia, and Debra from SFQ died in a plane crash in Ensenada. Also a great guy was killed in the kitchen at SFQ while barefoot and touching a wire. We that don't live in Baja like many on these posts, look forward to traveling to a land and its culture that we can't find here in CA. My friends and I will continue to schedule trips to Baja. Ironically we recently booked a trip on the Tony Reyes boat for next year as we all had that on our bucket list. Stuff happens in Baja, and I just wish people on this board would embrace the Baja spirit that my friends and I and others on this board have found. Stop analyzing what's wrong and look forward to what is right. If you think a boat is unsafe, the roads are unsafe, the cities are unsafe - just stay home and, excuse me SHUT UP! and stay off this board. Go get involved in tax reduction, street lights, sidewalk repair, or something that you can actually change. Baja is Baja and those of us that love it will continue to embrace it!
Our thoughts and prayers should be focused on the tragedy and families involved and nothing else!
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nappo
....excuse me SHUT UP! and stay off this board.

NOT !

Although I'm sorry that these folks are going through this mess, it's well worth stating the facts about the condition of the boat so others may become more aware.
My information about the boat's origin came from other CA fishermen who have been aboard this boat many times.
My information about the boat's condition in the photo comes from years of naval architecture classes and experience and a simple observation of some extremely obvious problems.
bullmello

[*] posted on 7-6-2011 at 01:49 AM

Best wishes to the missing and their family and friends. There is still hope.

The Erik was a seaworthy boat when I was on a trip on it in about 1991 from La Paz to Socorro Island. As others have mentioned, with the timing and severity of the storm, even a seaworthy vessel not battened down or with a crew not prepared for any and all contingencies could be vulnerable. It is worth mentioning that even with all contingencies prepared for nature can still overwhelm. Maybe someday the facts of how and why this happened will be known. Since the ever present charm of Baja coexists with less than modern technology and legal aspects such as they are, the truth may never be fully known in this case.

As mentioned previously I was on the Erik during an extremely rare instance of a mothership trip from La Paz to Socorro. I believe only a couple of such trips were run by Gustavo Velez or Tony Reyes. The high adventure and low misadventures of that trip should be made into a movie someday so I hesitate to divulge the complete details lest someone be tempted to beat me to it.

Here are a few of the highlights and lowlights. The boat was a bait and switch. At the last minute after arriving in La Paz, most by car, we were told the ship we paid to go on, the Capitan Villegas was unavailable and our only choice now was the Erik. (Having been away from the Baja scene for a while, I wonder if the Villegas was later renamed the Tony Reyes, since he did own the Villegas at that time.) Already paid up and in Baja, we elected to go on the Erik, a lesser ship than the promised Villegas. The fishing was not great, but some of us still caught our first big game fish ever, wahoo, tuna, sailfish and more. We saw whales, rays, a sparse yet beautiful scenery of a rather remote island. The first night or two our meals were ok, afterwards fish we caught was the main entree of menu. All the steaks and beef brought along was never served. The rumor was that the operators owed crew members back pay and the food was taken in lieu of pay. The condition and upkeep of the vessel was not the best, but the trip through mostly fair weather was uneventful in that regard.

There were other unsavory aspects to this trip that lead me to believe that it is very surprising that Gustavo Velez is still operating a sportfishing business, even in Baja. Most of the crew were really good people who did the best job they could under the circumstances.

I have a ton of pictures from this trip that I am trying to locate. It was my first trip to Baja and I fell in love with the country and the people. The next ten years or so I went to Baja several times a year with friends and I miss going there now.

Gustavo Velez will never be my favorite person on this planet and some of his business practices may have helped contribute to a lack of preparedness for such an event. I'm sure nobody expected something like this to happen.

Again, my sympathy is with the family and friends of the missing and hope that good luck and survival skills may prevail.
bullmello

[*] posted on 7-6-2011 at 02:06 AM

Quote:
As a long baja fisherdude for over 30 years along with many friends stuff happens. We have experienced the death of baja friends this past Nov in a plane crash, another baja pilot crashed and died from Hisperia, and Debra from SFQ died in a plane crash in Ensenada. Also a great guy was killed in the kitchen at SFQ while barefoot and touching a wire. We that don't live in Baja like many on these posts, look forward to traveling to a land and its culture that we can't find here in CA. My friends and I will continue to schedule trips to Baja. Ironically we recently booked a trip on the Tony Reyes boat for next year as we all had that on our bucket list. Stuff happens in Baja, and I just wish people on this board would embrace the Baja spirit that my friends and I and others on this board have found. Stop analyzing what's wrong and look forward to what is right. If you think a boat is unsafe, the roads are unsafe, the cities are unsafe - just stay home and, excuse me SHUT UP! and stay off this board. Go get involved in tax reduction, street lights, sidewalk repair, or something that you can actually change. Baja is Baja and those of us that love it will continue to embrace it!
Our thoughts and prayers should be focused on the tragedy and families involved and nothing else!

I think you are confusing the charm of a different way of living with not learning from our mistakes and trying to prevent them in the future. There is something to be learned from the cooling venturi effects of the palapa while at the same time finding a way to prevent barefoot people from being electrocuted in a kitchen. A happy medium would not involve removing electricity to go back to being more quaint. Most shipwrecks can be prevented and should not be included as part of a fishing trip in Baja or anywhere else.
Agree with toughts and prayers for the tragedy and the families.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-6-2011 at 08:13 AM
i knew many of whom you speak

Quote:

bad losses.

i went to PSFO a few weeks right after Miguelito was electrocuted. He was such a nice kid! it was heartbreaking to learn, and ditto for Debra the sharklady. plus all the volunteer pilots who have died doing good deeds over the years....

baja is a tough place for sure. The unadventurous need not apply.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-6-2011 at 08:19 AM

Just read the thread... and not surprised, as the wind that hit us (20 miles south of San Felipe) Saturday evening was way way strong and lasted all night... It was easily over 50 mph where we were.

Driving south to Gonzaga Bay Sunday mid-day we saw nothing unusual... no copters, no troop trucks, normal military inspection at Gonzaga Bay check point.

Very sad...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  15

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.