BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: How fly fishing may save Mexico's fisheries and help boost the economy
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 12:47 PM
How fly fishing may save Mexico's fisheries and help boost the economy

this is my first filming with the new camera. eventually all the clips this summer will be edited by Vince Radice (producer of Oro de Cortez) who will make a new documentary for our diputados. we hope to show them how catch and release fishing can open new job opportunities to Mexican fishermen instead of the alternative (bad dorado initiative that hopes to allow commercialization of dorado throughout Mexico)

edited to add: I posted a skipjack video several comments below this post. My videos will hopefully be edited better and shown in Mexico City on tuesday (12 july). There are many more backdoor, more important meetings than the publicly announced ones like those forums that have been happeninig. I see no reason why we can't have an industry producing all the gear, and testing it out right here in Mexico. Its done in china now. We have to wake up and make the changes necessary to employ people here.

A few years ago, Osprey sent me a story he wrote about how fly fishing can save the fishery here, the real story is going a little differently (unless Brad Pitt is around here somewhere) but here you go man...

[Edited on 7-10-2011 by flyfishinPam]
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 12:51 PM

weird, I just tried the embedded video and it said an error occurred please try again later
but it plays fine on YouTube so here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjVJxKVEJlc
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 12:58 PM

Really cool video!! Feel like I'm there!!

Iflyfish
DonBaja
Nomad

Mood: Just Cruzin'

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 01:14 PM

Thanks for the vid, that was fun to watch !!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 01:14 PM

How weird is this.... This morning I pulled down my old salmon net out of the rafters to give away.
I may have to put it in the boat now.
I'm sure you know this Pam but I use a wet towel over the eyes to calm down the dorado while I remove my barbles hook.
Yesterday we had a couple more sardine boats in the bay. They fished all night and this afternoon headed North

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 01:33 PM

what were you chumming with Pam....and what kind of camera did you get....looks great.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 01:43 PM

On release technique-

when I once questioned my captain about how the fish feels after being tossed over the side after having a hook removed from its mouth he replied "he likes it" well, considering the alternative I'd say he's right.

i look forward to more release technique comments in public because this is how the captains release these fish, most pangas use these nets now. we often have to take a fish out of the water because even a 7 pound dorado can stick you right back with the hook or do other bodily harm, its a safety issue for those onboard.

this week many of my captains were catching and releasing over 45 fish per fly angler, at one point in the video you can barely hear Lee "caught a dorado every 3 minutes no chum needed, but support your local bait union". you don't see the other clips (yet) of the other boats catching and releasing fish after fish either because I can only make the video so long. I hav over an hour of good clips just from July 5th its a little overhelming so I better figure out how to organize it.

Lee had on some sort of video-cam sunglasses, in some of his video you can see his baseball cap at the top. We use sardinas (pacific flatiron herring) to chum the dorado we've been doing it this way for many years.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 03:04 PM

For the past couple of years I've been using a Precision de-hooker that makes releases a lot easier on both me and the fish. Usually there is no need to touch the fish, let alone bring it into the boat.

bndh.jpg - 49kB
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 03:07 PM

Just slide the device down the leader and jostle the hook free. The bigger the fish, the easier to work the hook free.

bndh2.jpg - 38kB
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 03:10 PM

With smaller fish you can often remove the hook with the fish in the water. If not, just pick it up and shake it off. No fuss, no muss, no blood in the boat......

bndh3.jpg - 46kB
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 04:27 PM

I use a technique that we used to use when commercial salmon fishing in Alaska, just grab the leader about 2' from the fish then let the gaff slide down into the bend of the hook while pulling the gaff up and the leader down. It only works if the hook is in the mouth.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
With smaller fish you can often remove the hook with the fish in the water. If not, just pick it up and shake it off. No fuss, no muss, no blood in the boat......

can you post a detailed photo of the business end of that stick? we can probably fabricate something like it here and try it out, thanks for the idea
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 06:17 PM

I found this:
http://www.rumrunnerct.com/hook_remover.htm

Dehooker_01.jpg - 31kB

bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 07:07 PM

Here you go, Pam. Just keep the leader tight, slide the hooked end down to the hook in the fish's mouth, and shake it free. It doesn't always work, depending on how the fish is hooked, but when it does it sure beats grabbing the bill of an angry marlin and trying to keep it steady while removing the hook with your other hand. With the de-hooker you can maintain a healthy distance from both the hook and the bill.
The same with smaller fish. You can keep your hands away from the hook.
The hardest of all fish to release and avoid mayhem are probably the small dorado your fly fishermen are loading up on. Their movements are so quick and they're like the Ever-ready bunny.
Great clip, by the way.

bndh4.jpg - 35kB
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 08:08 PM

I'll pass the images on to the capitans and hear what they say, yeah its easier releasing a large fish than a small hyperactively jumping green dorado
EdZeranski
Nomad

Mood: Si! Como no???

[*] posted on 7-8-2011 at 07:22 AM
dehooker

Neat video!

http://dehooker4arc.com/

We have a couple of the above dehookers, work so far.

EdZ KG6UTS
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2011 at 07:33 AM
whats practical here

I will have to try a de-hooker out on the boat. I know we have one it was given to Francisco but I think if he wanted to he'd use it. I will ask him about it for when we go out tomorrow. I know he'll roll his eyes at me but he's used to this kind of thing from me by now. I'll film him using it, how's that? I am willing to give things a try and if we come up with a better way to release fish safely and easily I am all for it, as long as its practical for the captains. But I will not buy something like this, it looks too easy to make and this could create a job for somebody.

but I call bullshiat on this product:
http://dehooker4arc.com/store/product.cfm/mode/details/id/42...

I have a lot of guys coming to see me and thank me for the awareness mentioning the captains having the nets. When I came here most captains killed everything that came in the boat so we've come a long way since then.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2011 at 07:39 AM

right now i'm showing this to Francisco and he is protesting mucho. but i am not surprised as this is a typical reaction to change.
one thing I did forget to mention is that the fly fishermen usually de-barb their hooks which makes releasing super fast

can someone point me to references to the stress to the fish on using landing nets? geeze the fish has fought with a hook in its mouth is there really a significant difference
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2011 at 08:13 AM

Pam I just went out and tried to find the de-hooker tool I use. But with all thing you put in their special place I couldn't find it. I did find the lighter version though. Your familiar with it to pop of bait so think heavy duty and it'll work with the smaller game fish. It works great for me with those hot little dorado and of course it's small enough to put in a special place where it does absolutely no good :lol:

dehooker.jpg - 47kB

EdZeranski
Nomad

Mood: Si! Como no???

[*] posted on 7-8-2011 at 09:00 AM
??chico??

Quote:

but I call bullshiat on this product:
http://dehooker4arc.com/store/product.cfm/mode/details/id/42...

Not sure how that deflator thing would work but the dehookers are OK, have two sizes and a good set of long stainless needle nose pliers. When fishing with panga guys in Loreto they usually ask if I want a small fish ,or any fish for that matter, so I guess they are thinking of the fishery. Thanks for getting the word out. They still get skittish about sculpin, I guess from years without medical services.

Down at East Cape on cruisers those guys won't listen sometimes and go right to the fish bat even if you say let the fish go. Getting the flags flying seems to be the only issue with them.

EdZ KG6UTS
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.