Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: 1942 - 2012 -- 70 Years Along The Baja Pole Line Road
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 7-14-2011 at 09:55 PM

So if I buy 26 trucks one after the other, and run each for 10,000 miles trouble-free does that mean that brand of truck has run 260,000 trouble-free miles? :lol:

The question was about ONE vehicle running for 250K miles trouble free. Please report back when you've run those 260,000 miles in a single vehicle without trouble.

Toyota makes good, dependable vehicles. It just gets tiring to see picture after picture and disparaging comments about other brands over and over again. But, I'm sure you don't get that. And as far as reliability,there are many ful-size trucks that are as or more reliable than a Toyota, but that do it while towing, hauling and generally doing things that junior trucks cannot do. That includes Tundras, by the way. My 7.3 diesel Ford, for example, has 220K miles on it with no mechanical failures. I know several Dodge RAM Cummins that are well over 250K and running strong. Just sayin', of course.

Oh, and by the way, your Toyota was ASSEMBLED in Baja California. All parts are made elsewhere.

[Edited on 7-15-2011 by Roberto]
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2011 at 10:43 PM

What Roberto said, I have 130,000 miles on my 04 RAM most off the miles happen in BAJA, the only issues I had with the truck, where those related to the lift kit that I had install to lift it 6", other wise no problems... so far I have been able to go places where small trucks go..I don't mind paying for a big v8(HEMI)..this truck, has what I need for mu trips in Baja.My work car is a Toyota 4Runner 4x4 with the 3.0 liter and this trucks are famous for bad head gaskets and leaking valve covers...but who cares...Ps . also for overheating

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-14-2011 at 11:00 PM

Roberto:

My comments have been shared between my friend Ken and I... It relates to his Jeep having 'little problems', because I USED to own a Jeep... that had many little (and big) problems... I think that is a qualifying enough excuse to tease Ken. Friendly ribbing... and not constant. Ken knows I love Jeeps... I only wished they were built as well as a Toyota (and I would have one, again)!

I will report back whenever I think someone may find it of interest, no matter what the odometer says. If I can put over 100,000 miles on a truck in 4 years without problems, that MIGHT be harder on a vehicle than taking 10 years to put 250,000 miles on it... just maybe? What year is your Ford? (no need to respond)

I don't care what anyone drives, but for those interested in a quality built, reliable 4WD mid-size truck... I can highly recommend the Tacoma... and yes, the 4 door model is built in Baja... I have posted photos of the plant along Hwy. 2, west of Tecate... and you missed that? :lol:

[Edited on 7-15-2011 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 7-14-2011 at 11:53 PM

Dude if you keep driving your truck the same amount, after ten years you will have covered how many miles? Does 250,000 sound about right? So why would it be harder?

I'm just saying not all the parts for the Tacoma are made in TJ, but it is assembled there.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2011 at 11:56 PM

Yes, I know it is assembled there... I never questioned you about the parts or where they are made?? Yes, sounds about right... Long live FORD!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 7-15-2011 at 12:01 AM

Indeed! :lol::lol:
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 7-15-2011 at 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Long live FORD!

Stay tuned, guys. I have an upcoming thread based upon a vehicle recovery in the Baja sierras that is the stuff of legend!:!:

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2011 at 07:46 AM

Here in NM, they say "Jeeps are BUILT, not BOUGHT"

Keep on building Ken-

I have a Ford with over 300,000 on it and several with 150,000+

(remind me why I have all these vehicles)

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-15-2011 at 10:05 AM

4 wheelers,

Could a few dirt-bikers join the fray???

Don't believe everything you think....
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2011 at 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
4 wheelers,

Could a few dirt-bikers join the fray???

I don't know if it would be feasible to travel by moto along a 3 day cobblestone and rock path.:!:

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2011 at 09:42 AM

Ken,
Don't you have any pics of the difficult stuff? :lol::lol:

I guess you think jeep terrain is more difficult than what a dirt bike can do.... :no:

We could wait for the jeeps carrying our gear to catch up with us by the end of each day :biggrin: That would give us time to get a room, have a shower, eat dinner, have some drinks ....

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2011 at 09:55 AM

My plan is to run the trail, and then go to San Felipe for 2 nights for rest and relaxation after the run is completed. Probably staying slightly north of town at a place like Diamante.

Logistically speaking - Where would your vehicle be staged? Who would guard it? Or, would you ride your bike in from Calexico? Too much worry makes stuff like this seem unfeasible since wierd stuff has happened on my trips, making a simple trip a challenging one.

Nothing against dirt bikes, but if you guys had a pickup that was also running the trail, that could carry your provisions and gasoline, and would follow you back to the border immediately, that would take the worry off of my shoulders. I am planning on departing from the group at La Ventana and going to San Felipe for the food and good times with the Mrs. afterward.

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2011 at 02:48 PM

Ken,
If I were to join a ride like that, I would know the route ahead of time and plan my logistics so I am not depending on anyone else aside from myself....if the run is doable in a day, no worries re: packing stuff. If the route takes a few sleeps to complete, then tenting might be how folks manage it....I dunno how you guys see it playing out.

Bike plan is simple: I have ridden Baja solo as well as with groups....carry my own stuff all the time and have what I need for "get-me-out repairs".... The jeeps/toyos would carry the beer, steaks, lawn chairs, hot-tub, and muchachas:light:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2011 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
If the route takes a few sleeps to complete, then tenting might be how folks manage it....I dunno how you guys see it playing out.

You should drive a 4WD so that you can enjoy the day at our pace, because this will be a 3 day run.

Day 1 - US to base of El Jamau
Day 2 - El Jamau to Caņon Jaquegel
Day 3 - Caņon Jaquegel to La Ventana (Mex 5)

A dirt bike could run this trip in 1-2 days, but the point in this being a 4WD trip is so that I don't feel rushed, so that I enjoy myself and the Baja wilderness.

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2011 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
You should drive a 4WD so that you can enjoy the day at our pace, because this will be a 3 day run.

A dirt bike could run this trip in 1-2 days, but the point in this being a 4WD trip is so that I don't feel rushed, so that I enjoy myself and the Baja wilderness.

If I did something like this, I would hook up with the troop evening of Day One, and go with the flow. I am not a racer and like take my time and smell the colitas/roses as I go along.

I am not trying to crash a cager party....just wondering.:light::saint:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2011 at 09:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:

If I did something like this, I would hook up with the troop evening of Day One, and go with the flow. I am not a racer and like take my time and smell the colitas/roses as I go along.

No problem. But, you might want to explore this region sometime. It is very magical with lots of cactii, wildlife, and scenery perfect for photography.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2011 at 11:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No problem. But, you might want to explore this region sometime. It is very magical with lots of cactii, wildlife, and scenery perfect for photography.

... and maybe the grave of a Spanish explorer from 1541!?

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2011 at 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

... and maybe the grave of a Spanish explorer from 1541!?

The lost Diaz mine?? Where would that be, David??

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2011 at 09:37 AM

Back in 1990 and 1991 some friends and I rode the Pole Line road on motorcycles. We camped at Cohabuzo jct. We picked up the route at the bottom of the summit. In the wash we passed the turn for Basketball hill since we didn't know of it, Heck we didn't even know about the Pole Line Rd we just were riding the trail we saw from the summit while pre-running the Baja 1000. Later we did some research about the cobble stone we found. Continuing down the wash until it became unpassable, I think at a water fall, we took a cow trail up a hill and over and down toward the north and carried our bikes over some rocks to a side wash that shortly met Arroyo Jaquegel just east of where Enmedio and Jaquegel meet. From there we picked the road up again to where it meets Arroyo Grande and back across Laguna Salada to our camp.

The whole thing is doable on a MC with the only hard part being Basketball Hill. It depends on how many and how large the rocks are. Let the jeeps go first to move em out of the way.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2011 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
.... Let the jeeps go first to move em out of the way.

For sure....I would be motivated to catch up with the jeeps after they smooth out some of the obstacles.....because they would be carrying the beer :biggrin:

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.