BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help needed...tell me I'm not crazy
scudrunner

lol.gif posted on 9-8-2004 at 12:04 PM
Help needed...tell me I'm not crazy

I?m a freelance writer and have written several articles about travel to exotic places; Thailand, Greece, Estonia, all over Central America, and the Middle East and some not so exotic like Bosnia and Iraq. Now I?m heading to Baja for about two months and need some help. Most of my travel is on a shoestring and caters to those readers; that is the focus of this trip.

This adventure will be on the back of a Honda 250R dual-purpose motorcycle so the trip will be light to say the least. I?m looking for everything from cheap hotels, food, entertainment, beaches and special places of interest from TJ to Cobo. I would like to know the cheapest but quality places that you have come across. Basically, I don?t want to reinvent the wheel. I am certainly looking for itineraries with suggested services along the way, as well.

If you can help it would be appreciated. My email is scudrunner@hotmail.com or you can post here. By the way, thanks for a great website.
:spingrin:
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2004 at 01:19 PM
Budget Travel

You have come to the right place to find out about Baja. Most users of this board are very knowledable and travel throughout Baja.

Off the top of my head, here's a couple budget places to stay (of course camping is the ultimate budget accommodation and there' endless campgrounds):

Ensenada - Motel America
Ensenada (El Sauzal) - Hostel Sauzal
Rosarito - Alamo Hostel
San Quintin - El Pabellon (campground)
El Rosario - Baja Cactus Motel
Bahia de Los Angeles - Campo Gecko
Loreto - Iguana Inn
La Paz - Hotel Miramar

Good luck and keep this board informed.
Ted

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-8-2004 at 03:38 PM
Grover -

i love Lois! she's HOTT!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2004 at 07:54 PM

i allso have a few lady bar locations if you would like them.:coolup:
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 12:01 AM

Ensenada-Hotel Colon
Cantavina-Rancho Santa Inez
Mulege-Hotel Mulege
La Paz-Hotel Gardenia
La Ventana-Baja Joes
scudrunner

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 08:16 AM
Thanks so far

Lois is prettier... what a woman! Tell me more about the hotels please. Ladies bars??? Sure, what the heck. What about fuel and suggested routes? I will be camping out at least a few nights. Thanks all.
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 08:27 AM

on my xr400 i love to ride from san felipe to gonzaga (alphonsinas hotel $50). then through cocos corner and on to bay of LA (many hotels $35-$60) then south to san francisquito, palapas on beach with cots and blankets $20 a head. then several different trails out to the highway and guerrero negros whales. then to sanignacio (rice and beans hotel $40) then to san juanico (scorpion bay pacific side) then back to bay of conception (gulf side) then to loreto. Thats as far as ive been pn my bike.
in my opinion i would start on the gulf side and avoid the entire area from T.J. to San quintin. Yes its nice to drive through but other than some good pacific views and agriculture and surfing.... your best interest lye to the south of there.
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 03:21 PM
If needed...

Scudrunner,

We own a small non expensive motel in El Rosario, B.C. (about 365 km from the border).... and we have been in Baja for many.... many years... we do have family all over Baja.... if you need any assistance, let us know, we would be happy to help out.

Enjoy your trip!!!

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 03:29 PM
Antonio

Think you could get my spare tire back from the guys in La Florida?
Or send a message and place an order in Corral Viejo ?
Because if your family is everywhere, it would sure cut down on my gas expenses:light:
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 9-9-2004 at 04:20 PM
Well my friend...

Jr..... let me see...if you mean La Florida, as in USA... I have some cousins and aunts there...

And if by Corral Viejo you mean the one in Baja Sur, I do have some relatives in Comondu area...:P...;D

[Edited on 9-10-2004 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 05:50 PM
Nope

If there were a La Florida usa, I wouldn't have loaned them my spare. And as far as Comundo goes, I think it's the wrong Corral Viejo cause that's not too close. Unless you are talking of the entire Comundu area which most of the Gigantas are considered.
But thanks anyway, the drives aren't all that bad !!:light: Whenever you can sneak away Amigo.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 07:42 PM
Cabo=Mar de Cortez

One of the few hotels in Baja that I stay in (usually camping) is the Mar de Cortez in Cabo. Great location, inexpensive, and nice pool. www.mardecortez.com

Zac
scudrunner

[*] posted on 9-10-2004 at 07:42 AM
Baja Cactus and Baja Boy

GREAT!!!! I was hoping for something between Ensenada and Guerrero Negro. What is the name of the hotel and your rates (day and weekly)? Email me if you wish with the information.

Here is my plan so far. I'll be leaving San Diego on or about September 22 and ride down to Ensenada for a couple days. There I'll be checking out the marinas and sailing interests, mostly. Are there and other things of interest here... other than the blow hole??? Then its on the road again.

With this trip I have no real dead line and plan on staying more than just a night in one place. I do have to make it down to Cabo and La Paz but it's really not the highlight. Thanks for the heads up on Mar de Cortez, I'll check it out.

scudrunner

puzzled.gif posted on 9-10-2004 at 07:51 AM
Crime amd Security?

Please give me some do's and don'ts and places to avoid... I'm not naive and have lived in some pretty dangerous places (I just got back from nine months in Baghdad). I'm looking for places more dangerous than others (excluding TJ) to avoid or at least to be careful. I've found places in the world than Gringos are just not welcome and they let you know it.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-10-2004 at 05:40 PM

Scudrunner, the reason 'grover' suggested that area be avoided (except in established campgrounds) is the farming towns from Colonet to near El Rosario are populated with many migrant workers from mainland Mexico... they are very poor, but unlike the poor of Baja they have a few among them that thinks nothing of stealing from the 'rich' gringos. There have been a couple deadly attacks as well...

However, this area is still 'SAFER' than most any American city at night where robberies and murders are a daily event. Of course you wouldn't camp in an American city, either.

On the south side of San Quintin are two good places to camp, Gypsy's next to Cielito Lindo (west of the La Pinta hotel), and Playa Pabellon off Hwy. 1 past Santa Maria. Gypsy's serves cheap meals and beer (chorizo breakfast burritos are great).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2004 at 08:41 PM
Motel

Scudrunner,

BajaCactus Motel is located around 265 km south of Ensenada (around 3.5 hours straight drive), or 45 minutes south of San Quint?n.

Our rates start from $20 dlls the night.

E-mail me if you want with specific questions.... I may be able to give you some tips....:D

BajaCactus

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.