Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Paz a tranquil place to relax and unwind
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 7-19-2011 at 10:02 PM
La Paz a tranquil place to relax and unwind

http://www.mydesert.com/article/20110717/LIFESTYLES08/107160...

By Kathy Strong
Jul. 16, 2011

The eastern coast of Baja California Sur with its pure aqua waters and sparkling white sand was thought by early explorers to be an island. Modern-day “explorers” know better — the area simply conveys a tropical island state of mind. A quaint historical downtown, friendly people and a distinct laid-back vibe make its main city, La Paz, an idyllic spot to enjoy the rhythm and flavor of Mexico, without the consternation that is attached to Mexican travel these days.

La Paz in Spanish translates to “peace,” a perfect way to describe its overwhelming natural beauty and cultural offerings at every turn. The city is secluded on the eastern coast of Baja Sur, directly facing the Sea of Cortez. Beaches rival some of the Caribbean's most alluring and sport fishing is among the top choices in the world, but the crowds are low and the ambience is serene and mellow — much like it must have felt when John Steinbeck discovered its charms in the 1940s, and Jacques Cousteau first revealed its rich underwater treasures in the '60s.

Smart tourism

It is impossible, if not irresponsible, to talk about the charms of Mexico without addressing visitor safety at the same time. The city, with a good size American demographic, recently established the La Paz Tourism Board with one of its goals being an awareness campaign regarding travelers' safety. The board's new tourism campaign, “La Paz: City of Peace and Abundance on the Sea of Cortez,” includes statistics and studies that show the city to be one of the safest in Mexico. If located in California, tourism officials state that La Paz would rank as the third safest city in the state.

La Paz possesses a small but efficient airport just minutes from town; direct flights from Los Angeles and San Diego, as well as other major cities, make flying a smart choice. Those who choose to drive the expanse of scenic but open territory down the Baja coast and inland are faced with unknown safety issues that make arriving in a secure destination a possible hazardous venture. The wise choice is the safe one: fly into La Paz.

The world's aquarium

Cousteau called the waters surrounding La Paz “the world's aquarium” — a most fitting description of the area's rich and diverse ecosystems. Bay after aqua-blue bay with white sand beaches protected by dramatic rock formations sprinkled with cacti greet visitors. Harbor porpoises, whales, dolphins, sea lions, mantas and whale sharks fill the waters and coves; migratory birds perch on the rocks and tiny islands that jut out from the sea.

Snorkel the shallow waters of any bay, from scenic Balandra Bay to those unnamed “finds,” or charter a cruise to Isla Espiritu Santo to view sea lion colonies up close, snorkel among the brightly colored fish or stretch out on a sandy beach. The area is home to species representing more than a third of the world's marine mammals, including some unique creatures that only exist here, such as the vaquita harbor porpoise, the world's smallest aquatic mammal. Nine whale species and five marine turtles live among the peninsula's waters, and hundreds of species of migrating birds find their nesting spots among the rocky cliffs.

Deep ocean trenches and nutrient-rich sea beds make this one of the most important areas in the world for both commercial and sport fishing. Nearly 900 species of fish, 90 of them endemic, are found here.

The Gulf of California actually provides more than half of the fish caught in Mexico. One of the biggest sports fishing events of the year in La Paz happens each September with the Gold Cup — a three-day black and blue marlin tournament that gives back to local La Paz charities.

The malecón

La Paz may be the capital of Baja Sur, but its downtown feels like a small south-of-the- border town, nostalgic of old Baja. There may be a Walmart on the outlaying stretches of the city, but the downtown itself is peppered with charming patio and European-style restaurants, a cultural center, an open market and little boutiques. One thing La Paz is not is another Cabo San Lucas. In fact, the city strives to be the antithesis with the goal of preserving the city's quaintness and charm.

Strolling the malecón is La Paz's equivalent to a promenade along the water in Monte Carlo. It is not unusual to see small children and entire families taking the stroll along the water late at night. Boardwalk goers get a magical front-row view of sunsets over the water and local statuary, not to mention some of the best fish tacos in Mexico.

Plan a lengthy dinner in town at sophisticated Italian-inspired Palermo's with its impressive wine cellar, or at La Boheme, specializing in French specialties.

Stay in Paradise

Careful development to preserve and make the most of the area's natural beauty is on the rise and obviously in progress. Choose from a handful of resorts to call home while in La Paz.

Near the heart of La Paz's activity zone is CostaBaja Resort, part of a 550-acre development poised on the Sea of Cortez and overlooking an active marina and white sand beach. A planned residential community, CostaBaja offers a golf course, a spa, beach club and marina.

Paraiso del Mar is a more tranquil experience, situated on a private peninsula on 1,700 acres embraced by the Bay of La Paz. Committed to long-term sustainable practices, the resort has plans to develop just 50 percent of its acreage, preserving a nature and wildlife corridor. Paraiso is highlighted by an Arthur Hills golf course that has been ranked by “Golf Magazine” as the “fourth best international golf course” and also by its 5 miles of beach frontage. A five-minute resort boat ride connects guests with town, just a stroll away from the dock.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2011 at 10:09 PM

No its NOT.

Dominica

[*] posted on 7-19-2011 at 10:18 PM

Well
The malecón

La Paz may be the capital of Baja Sur, but its downtown feels like a small south-of-the- border town, nostalgic of old Baja. There may be a Walmart on the outlaying stretches of the city, but the downtown itself is peppered with charming patio and European-style restaurants, a cultural center, an open market and little boutiques. One thing La Paz is not is another Cabo San Lucas. In fact, the city strives to be the antithesis with the goal of preserving the city's quaintness and charm.

That portions sounds great.....have to go visit, anyplace that is the anti-Cancun is my cup of tea! Thanks for the update...

Susan
Katiejay99
Nomad

Mood: it is what it is

[*] posted on 7-20-2011 at 05:33 AM
Nice policemen too...

One time I was in La Paz looking for a policeman whistle (for training my dogs) and I didn't have my seatbelt on. I had just gotten back in my car like a half a block away and for the first time that day, I forgot to put it back on. I was downtown, 2 blocks from the malecon.

A policeman waved me to the side of the road, completely blocking the pedestrian zone and sidewalks. He told me had to give me a ticket for not having my seatbelt on (I speak Spanish). I told him I was looking for a whistle like he has to help me train my dogs. He said, "I know where they sell those, come on and I will take you". I left my car sitting right where it was and he walked me down the street to a store that was closed. Oh, well, he knew of another one. We walked passed my parked vehicle and another half a block and he went inside for me, picked out what I wanted and waited for me to buy it. He then walked me back to my car and actually gave me a hug and a "vaya con Dios". No ticket.

I don't go to La Paz much because of the heat, but I do love the people!
bajajazz
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2011 at 08:56 AM

Nice story, KatieJay.

As for the PR poop that starts off this topic, I wish travel writers would take up a more honest form of prostitution, the kind that involves standing on street corners and hustling twenty dollar bills. But do it in Cabo, please.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.