Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: "Doing The Pole Line Dance" by Neal Johns
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-5-2011 at 10:19 PM
Map and Satellite Images

Here first is The Lower California Guidebook map (by Howard Gulick) close-up of the Poleline Road from the summit to Arroyo Grande...

Next is the area of the road around the cobblestone grade in the photos (from Neal Johns GPS waypoint):

The grade is between the two middle flags.

Some other points using GPS from Neal. TW and Ken...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 8-5-2011 at 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
Thanks DK..if this trip happens, I will consider, riding with somebody..I will help with expences.Ken says it's not a good Idea to take my Big RAM, on this trip..

The problem comes from the leverage your trucks weight places on your steering system when driving through all of the rocks. It will cause your steering system to loosen up, and you will continually have to tighten and retighten it. For a 3 day trip, I don't think it would be worth it.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 10:27 AM

Here is Choral Pepper's 1981 Desert Magazine story on the Diaz Grave, on Page 52 of the August issue: http://www.dezertmagazine.com/mine/1981DM08/index.html

SEE ANY of ALL the Desert Magazines: http://www.dezertmagazine.com/old-desert-magazine

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 10:52 AM

Ken,
It looks very tilt-e if you went around the rock on the left side. Yes? No? Can we move it? My camper does not like Tilt.
Wimp Wimp Wimp

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
Ken,
It looks very tilt-e if you went around the rock on the left side. Yes? No? Can we move it? My camper does not like Tilt.
Wimp Wimp Wimp

Dynamite??????? Boom------pesky rude-rock is gone!!! and no "new" road-building necessary. (-:

(just a suggestion)

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 01:40 PM

Barry, bring down your X-Terra and help us look for the Melchior Diaz Grave after you blow up the Poleline Road! :lol:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 02:26 PM

Actually Neal Ken and the other Jeep guys wanted to get up above and roll, push and knock more rocks down and then drive over them. In the end and for time sack we all decide to drive around.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 09:37 PM
"Camber"

Quote:
Ken,
Wimp Wimp Wimp

With enough men, we could shovel our way past this obstacle in about 1-2 hours.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 09:53 PM

Ken---------With a 10K wintch using triple snatch-blocks and a pull-pal (or another big rock) for an anchor perhaps it could be wintched out of the way if there is someplace to pull it to, you think? For big rocks like that one we use to wrap a heavy duty truck snow-chain around it, and attach the wintch cable to that.

Barry
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 10:39 PM

The rock would not budge, but I assume that we could pull it downhill. But, by widening the trail and creating more of a level plane, we could also drive upon it. This would require moving rocks and shoveling dirt, but I believe it could also be done. The problem is however, not many guys can work that hard in the field. I carry a snatch block, and so do my friends. So, perhaps we could give the rock a good winching, as well.

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 11:50 PM

If you went around the rock going on the right side of the picture, I had better stay home this trip, too much work just for one guy's benefit.

My motto:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2011 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Ken,
Wimp Wimp Wimp

With enough men, we could shovel our way past this obstacle in about 1-2 hours.

This doesn't look like a road that the boulder went into, it looks like you are in a ravine/ arroyo. Could it be the Pole Line Road climbed out before this point and the road is now wethered in and invisible?

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2011 at 07:10 PM

Quote:
If you went around the rock going on the right side of the picture, I had better stay home this trip, too much work just for one guy's benefit.

We are planning ahead by 1 year, Neal. No need to cancel, yet. Many things can happen in 1 year.

@David - That is indeed a road - not an arroyo. The arroyo below leads to buried treasure! :!:

No, I won't say on-line - you will have to attend with me to be able to examine the treasure I discovered in that region. :bounce:

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2011 at 08:02 PM

Yeah, DK, that's a good section of the road, which is a small side arroyo of the big arroyo/canyon. You gonna go and see the treasure or Wimp, Wimp, Wimp? :lol::lol::lol:

My motto:
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2011 at 08:13 PM
Got A-Trak?

Traveling up Basketball Hill won't be the problem. Visiting the hidden treasure will be!:?:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2011 at 10:29 AM

The winter rains carry the gold and sand down the arroyo and settle at the bottom of the water falls. Some of the locals dig it out and sell it. Only a few know the exact location below the falls. Jose lives near the road to the summit is one.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2011 at 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
can you see the PLR on google earth..? can find it..

Yes!

Shall I show it here?

Here is the 2009 post with all of Neal Johns' waypoints: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=37224

[Edited on 8-5-2011 by David K]

Thanks again for highlighting the GPS waypoints. :light:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2011 at 09:17 PM
In the design studio

I'm grabbing images at the moment, about to make a limited run of 70 year Pole Line Rd. t-shirts and stickers. YEA!:bounce:

edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2011 at 05:56 AM

Quote:

Yeah Neal, dont cancel yet. If my 4x4 van/motorhome (wb=146 inches) doesnt sell by then, ill bring it to the run, and if it does sell ill consider bringing my new 4x4 class a motorhome (wb=159 inches); this one can pull your camper out as well :-)

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2011 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
Quote:

Yeah Neal, dont cancel yet. If my 4x4 van/motorhome (wb=146 inches) doesnt sell by then, ill bring it to the run, and if it does sell ill consider bringing my new 4x4 class a motorhome (wb=159 inches); this one can pull your camper out as well :-)

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.