BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: baja flowers in August....lets see em!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-2-2011 at 08:54 AM
baja flowers in August....lets see em!

I snapped some pics while watering my garden yesterday afternoon....these are some of my buddies.
lets start with the corona de jesus

the classic geraniums

and bouganvillia of course

laurel...gotta love water droplets eh!

and our palms are getting a haircut

and as often can be seen in our garden....some nomads having a good time...happy birthday Miguelitro...welcome tiomiguel and as always mulegena is a rose among thorns!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 8-2-2011 at 09:05 AM

Love the pictures, a little watering keeps um smiling!
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2011 at 09:08 AM

check out the cool wheels of the new kids in town from boston...we hope to welcome them to nomadlandia soon...

and Miguelitro the birthday boy and Raquel who will be travelling to south america soon....wonder how he got his nickname eh!!!

Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 8-2-2011 at 09:11 AM

You know me, I am checkin out everyone is long sleeves, coooooool!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2011 at 09:40 AM

Very nice Shari. I like all the characters your plants draw.
Here's a couple of native plants out back.
I'm told this is loco weed. ? Beautiful white flower when in bloom.

haven't clue what this is but the rabbits have found it and are mowing it down. Was really full two weeks ago. looks like it'd be great bird food.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2011 at 09:51 AM

Shari - your plants are looking great ! did any of the la bocana transplants survive ?

russ - the loco weed is supposedly quite poisonous but the flower is one of the most exquisite in delicacy .. this is the one that popped up in our backyard out of the blue:

If anyone is into doing exchanging cuttings, please come one over !! I think I have over 100 different species of plants now ... love my plants !

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-2-2011 at 08:45 PM

loco weed = jimson weed. try it in a tea if you don't believe..... actually, don't try it.

Dominica

[*] posted on 8-2-2011 at 08:59 PM

Shari....beautiful flowers....and they sure do attract a great crowd!
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2011 at 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Love the pictures, a little watering keeps um smiling!
Yes, we were sufficiently watered, or perhaps it might better be stated "lubricated"
wined 'n dined tickled 'n giggled, whatever you want to call it a great birthday party & super hostess...

oh! you were you referring to Shari's gorgeous flowers weren't ya', which, btw, are real eye-poppers-- especially the purple bougonvilla & pink geranium set in front of her newly refurbished wall.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2011 at 10:13 PM

Nice flower pictures, Shari.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2011 at 11:08 PM

The strands coming off this Yucca caught my eye.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2011 at 06:42 AM

oh yeah...those strands turn my crank too...what IS it about them? love the B&W which in spanish is white and black by the way...not black and white...go figure.

and last night tiomiguel made us have another soiree as he had arrachera he had to cook...hmmm...guess we have to eat it then so we had yet another wonderful BBQ gathering on the patio....whew...summer is here all right! fantastic arrachera tio....gracias....and the bostonites made their famous BBQ'd apples for postre....oh yeah.

[Edited on 8-3-2011 by shari]

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2011 at 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
oh yeah...those strands turn my crank too...what IS it about them? love the B&W which in spanish is white and black by the way...not black and white...go figure.....

[Edited on 8-3-2011 by shari]

It looks like some fancy florist decorated the Yucca with those strands. You know I'm partial to "white and black" photos too!;D
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2011 at 02:17 PM

Shari's porch, patio, and new Rock rooms with planters and flowers make a wonderful place to Celebrate and bar-b-que. Fish Tacos one nite & Arracherra Tacos the next! The apples with brown sugar centers was a delicious dessert--on the barbie in tin foil?! Wait untill I try them with a Tomas Twist. Se La Vie. Tio
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2011 at 04:31 PM
found this morning august 22

[Edited on 8-22-2011 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2011 at 04:45 PM

first time this cactus has bloomed. it was closed yesterday. I took this photo this a.m.. This afternoon it is already closed up and I think gone forever ..such beauty for so short a span of time !

Come visit La Bocana

ecomujeres
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2011 at 05:44 PM

Lovely photos, Shari.

The Jimson weed is Datura discolor, in the Nightshade family. It is an annual, so forget about cuttings. But wait for the prickly seed pods to mature and collect them for sprouting new ones, probably any time of the year as long as there is moisture. There are hundreds of black seeds per pod. It will begin to hang down and when ready, will split at the end, dropping seeds onto the ground. You could hand a fine mesh bag over the fruit to catch the seeds. It's a weedy species that grows well in disturbed soils such as sandy and silty arroyos. It's native to the Sonoran desert. It is full of alkaloids, which are poisonous if ingested. I always make sure I wash my hands after handling the plant parts and keep them away from my face until I do so, to avoid irritation of mucus membranes and any absorption of toxins.

The second plant, which the rabbits love, is Amaranth, most likely Amaranthus watsonii, also a native annual (or biennial). It too is a weedy species and has gazillions of seeds in those clusters along the stem. Lots of animals feed on it, including insects which like the leaves and greenery.

Keep up the observations and photos. Can't wait to get back to the desert and hang out with my plant friends and my human friends too!

http://www.lasecomujeres.org (Bilingual environmental education about Baja California)

Check out: http://www.meloncoyote.org (project of Journalism to Raise Environmental Awareness; a quarterly news bulletin for the Gulf of California Region).

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.