BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Import/freight -How to get my Milgard windows to BCS?
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 11:46 AM
Import/freight -How to get my Milgard windows to BCS?

It's time in our casa construction to figure out the best way to get an order of 30 windows and 3 sliders from the Milgard factory in So Cal to our location in BCS.

If you've had a good experience with an import/transport service for items (fragile "freight") from CA to BCS I'd appreciate recommendations.

The quotes I've gotten from the Milgard dealers in La Paz and San Jose aren't too bad and they would handle the import and delivery. Their quotes have combined "import and delivery" charges but they seem less than 15-16% for the tax. If I order from a Mexican company and they handle the importation, is the tax less?

I've got a Milgard dealer that I trust and have experience with in So Cal another option is to order the windows through him and have them shipped from Milgard factory directly to an importer/freight hauler's warehouse at the border.

Would the import tax be higher if I arranged the import/transport to a freight company vs a dealer in Mexico? Are there "commercial-NAFTA" import tax rates and "consumer" tax rates that are different?

Any other Input or suggestions about the best way to do this would be appreciated.

We do have a trailer and could do the transport ourselves but based on the quotes I got from the dealers here in BCS, their price including import and delivery to our door was worth the price of NOT having to deal with the import and transport ourselves.

But... one Baja dealer needs 70% of the order up front before delivery, and the other needs 100%! Scary prospects to hand over that much $$ to a company I'm not familiar with before receiving the merchandise.

I've worked with the US Milgard dealer and he knows his stuff. I'd be willing to pay a little more to make sure the order goes smoothly. If I can find a reputable importer/freight company to handle that part, I'd like to compare the costs.

(sorry for the novel, couldn't figure out how to condense the info)
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 11:53 AM

I forgot to add, IF we had cell reception or reliable Skype out here I'd be on the phone with these questions instead of using up Nomad space. Thought I'd give you guys a try before spending a fortune on sat phone calls.

[Edited on 8-4-2011 by oladulce]
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
I forgot to add, IF we had cell reception or reliable Skype out here I'd be on the phone with these questions instead of using up Nomad space. Thought I'd give you guys a try before spending a fortune on sat phone calls.

[Edited on 8-4-2011 by oladulce] [/quote

If you are dealing with a reputable lumberyard down here see if they will include your windows in one of thier shipments.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 02:51 PM

windows break...
you're screwed if you ship with a private shipper and they break

i hauled mine
you should haul yours

i spent hours preparing the packaging

import them yourself
and you'll save

you guys are the smartest ones here
you can do this

retired now..you ahve he time too : )

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 02:54 PM

I used Columbia Exports (Otay Mesa, San Diego) when I moved my 'stuff' from San Diego to La Paz. I had both used items, which i imported under my FM3, and new items that I paid import fees and duty on.

They spent a lot of time with me on the phone when I had tons of questions about the whole process. Even if you don't use them, you'll get accurate info and pricing. Basically, their transportation charges are based on the amount of the truck you use. The import charges depend on the type of items you're importing. You can have Milgard ship the windows directly to their warehouse (preferably on pallets, so they can easily load them). Their warehouse in baja is in La Paz.

Here's their link:

http://www.columbiaexport.com/service/english/serviciosi/inf...

Good luck. Dana

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 05:29 PM

We shipped our windows and lots of other stuff through Comercializadora in San Jose del and I think the total cost for importation and shipping was 25% of invoice.

Your deal seems pretty good.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 06:14 PM

make sure you tell Milgard you want EXTRA plywood around your pallet(s) of windows. pay for it if they will do it. tell them to enclose the pallet, if possible, so a loose box or errant forklift fork doesn't ruin your day.

sounds like fun installing those doors and windows!!!!

bajario
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 06:58 PM

Im a local glazing subcontractor who hauled about 20 windows down to Loreto a year or so ago. I had them stacked up in the back of my long bed upright and against a lumber rack. Tried to cross at 5 am thru San Ysidro. Was promptly directed back thru to the US and over to Otay. They opened at 8. Finally got thru the tax and customs with a self made invoice and $100 later around noon. The windows were aluminum from a window supplier up in Perris.

A couple of SG Doors though would be a differnet story to haul with windows.

Home Depot sells Milgard. Isn't there a Home Depot in Cabo?
volcano
Nomad

Mood: always pining to be there

[*] posted on 8-5-2011 at 06:50 AM
shipping/importing

I have used ACV services de logistico owned by Armando Carillo....located in San Diego...repeatedly. Have had all kinds of building supplies and household items, including multiple items shipped to them, compiled into a bigger lot, and delivered on an exact date out to EASTCape, without subsequent communication (as there isn't any means for me out there..........flawless, incredible, amazing experience...every time! search ACV Import Export..Armando returns email promptly
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2011 at 10:20 AM

Thanks for the freight company experiences posted so far, the pep talks from those of you who have done it yourselves, and the tip about asking for extra-beefy packaging. We've got a few more months before it's window time and I'll post a follow up to whichever route we take.

[Edited on 1-24-2012 by oladulce]
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 8-5-2011 at 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
But... all our boxes had been opened

We have used Alister out of San Diego on two different occasions. First time we imported a heavy duty gas stove and a microwave/microhood. We went to the Home Depot in our neighborhood in the Houston area...picked what we wanted, paid for it then Home Depot had it taken out of their San Diego warehouse inventory. They then delivered to Alister at no charge. We were told by Alister "we will inspect the boxes upon delivery from H/D and if there is any damage to the boxes/product we will not accept the shipment. After that we will open all boxes to determine if the product is NAFTA...if it is not NAFTA then there is a higher tariff." I asked how do you determine that? Reply - "We will look for the little silver plate that tells the model, serial # and where it is made...trust me we will find it even if we have to stick our heads inside the oven!" I laughed to myself as I suddenly had a picture in my head of some one's butt protruding out of an oven saying the words "I found it!".

Both items were re-boxed then put on their truck. The items arrived at our condo without a dent or scratch to the boxes or products. Ditto on the second shipment. This was back in 2006 then again in 2008.

Just a FYI...we call H/D headquarters in Atlanta to see if there was a way we can have H/D drop ship it to the H/D in Cabo. That was a big "NO"...something to do with their international agreement.

[Edited on 8-5-2011 by karenintx]
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 02:20 PM
Follow-up

Our windows and doors were delivered yesterday. Everything worked out great and all arrived intact.

The windows were ordered through a Milgard dealer in San Jose del Cabo. We knew what we wanted and communication and ordering were done by email or phone so we never had to make the trip to SJdC. The windows and sliding doors were made in the Temecula, CA factory and imported in to Mexico. After obtaining several quotes and comparing the cost of ordering in the US vs through the Mexican dealer, nobody came close to the price we got through Gibran at "Pacific Fenestration Solutions". Gibran can do the importation and arrange the truck transportation also if you want.

MILGARD MEXICO DEALER
Pacific Fenestration Solutions
Pacific Design Center
Plaza Peninsula-Above Bancomer
San Jose del Cabo, B.C.S.,

Email: gnemegraff@gmail.com
Office Phone: 624.176.20.85

We chose to make the shipping and import arrangements ourselves and are very pleased with the personal attention and extra care given to our fragile load by ACV Logistics. Excellent communication from the owner Armando Carrillo as we kept adding additional items to the delivery. The truck came right to our doorstep. Other transport companies would have bypassed our location and gone another 300 miles to Cabo or La paz, then unloaded and re-loaded on another truck to bring back North. This added to the cost of delivery and would have required more handling of the windows, which we wanted to avoid.

ACV offered the best price and I can't imagine receiving more personalized service.

IMPORTATION AND TRANSPORTATION
Servicios de Logistica ACV
US Line: (619) 955-7652
Mex Line: (664) 647-8505
E-mail: info@acv.com.mx

The last mile to our casa has some of the worst road conditions on the peninsula. BigWooo out draggin the road to prepare for window delivery truck.

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 07:18 PM

Thanks for posting the follow up! We are going to go through the window process as well in Punta Banda. Not looking forward to it! It sounds like your place is coming along.

All the best,
P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 08:00 PM

Congrats on getting your windows, a big step!

I can't stress enough that, whenever possible, it's a better idea to get stuff delivered directly rather than pick it up yourself.

You will save money hauling it yourself, and perhaps save some time as well, but once it's on your truck, it's yours. If you break it en route, it's your problem.

When you buy through a local (or in your case, not so local) supplier, and they deliver to your site, the windows are theirs until they're setting in your house. A broken window is their problem to correct.

Woody made a great suggestion, ask for, and pay for, additional packaging.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.