Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: Cost estimate 750 sq feet cinder block structure
Cielomar
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2018 at 12:25 PM

I just received two bids to build a large block garage (~900 SQF) Pescadero area. Low bid which included garage doors, windows, electrical and very basic plumbing was $33k. So I think the $40k estimate for a 750 sqf is good if just a bit low. I would use $60/sqf as a good finished cost for something super simple
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2018 at 02:53 PM

From 10,000 ft;
Your going to find out that, in most cases where you want to build there are ALREADY established builders who get most of the market. Only savings ever is if you bring in a new guy who wants to get established in the area. Be prepared though to be the project and security manager and you might get through it. If he gets through it and does a good job, you'll be a part of that guys family. Been there 1985

Es Todo Bueno
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-28-2018 at 07:12 PM

True. I have met a builder there already. It was a while back. The house he built is very nice, very big, a tad unusual, and completely abandoned
The work was nice though...
So yes, I need to get feet on the ground and birddog a some builders.
It's harder than you think.
There ain't no yellow pages...

[Edited on 3-29-2018 by fishbuck]

[Edited on 3-29-2018 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-28-2018 at 07:14 PM

And I tried to get references too... but they don't want to be held liable for incase the work is bad... so they don't give em.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-28-2018 at 07:39 PM

Everyone knows the local guy who is worth a shlt. He costs more than everyone else.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-28-2018 at 08:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Everyone knows the local guy who is worth a shlt. He costs more than everyone else.

Woody always has a way of making things easier!
Thanks Woody

drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2018 at 07:36 PM

Roughly a 600 square foot garage was built. It's hard to say how much we spent, but it was not too much because a friends relative built it for us. The construction was cinder block with concrete floors and a metal corrugated roof. The doors were custom made, but nothing special. I know I am going to butcher this word, but the "caleche" was a pain in the ass to remove; an air-powered jack hammer was rented and used to remove enough of it so the concrete footer could be poured. There is no power run to the garage.. that will be coming in the near future.

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
He is an old gem I ran across doing research.
Whatever happened? Did a house get built.
I am trying to determine the cost of my 1st structure. It will be in essence a studio/1br apartment size.
Later to become a guest house if I get that far.
Maybe 500 sqft.
A bedrroom area/a kitchenette, 1 bathroom with but no tube just shower. So 1/2 bath I guess they call it.
The pool, shauna, jacuzzi, massage studio, etc. all come later so just the basics.
I'm trying to decide whether to use a chunk of 401k money when I rurn 59.5 or try and due it with monthly payments over time.
I guess I can afford about $1000/ month construction cost.
And I am in no real hurry now.
But I would love it if it was done today;):coolup:

[Edited on 3-20-2018 by fishbuck]
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-18-2018 at 07:36 PM

Cool. Thanks for the update.
I am in the construction biz now... well sorta.
I am using my F-350 to deliver paving stones to job sites. I have a utility trailer that will hold 1 pallet too.
I'm am trying to pick up all I can about house building and stuff.
I was working in Mission Viejo yesterday. It is the land from the last working ranch in Orange county and that went all the way back to mission days.
So pretty there and I never new there were so many rich people.
Pretty houses...
I gotta get me a piece of the action. There's gold in them there hills...
Because Baja may be a cheap place to live... but it ain't free...
:cool:

drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 10:48 AM

I ended up working for two additional years but I think we are pretty close on pulling the trigger on going down to San Lucas this November full time. Time to start thinking if we also want to build a small casita or possibly fix up the palapa and put in a newer trailer on the property. There are quite of improvements that need to be done in regards to the property that will keep us busy. During the summers when hot and humid in San Lucas, we'll definitely plan on heading over to the pacific side somewhere to rent for about 4 months. Lots to consider but it will be an awesome adventure.

Please feel free to provide any comments or suggestions. Muchas gracias....
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 03:04 PM

You might consider a shipping container house. A 40’ container 320 sq ft should cost around $4000 delivered.

This 2X20’ Container home can be found on Google Maps near Cerritos Beach Baja Sur

4ABDAF43-8772-4EEA-B574-507063439EC7.jpeg - 341kB

[Edited on 4-24-2021 by RFClark]
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2021 at 11:07 AM

Thanks for the input RFClark. Those are some pretty cool pictures. We did consider using shipping containers for the garage/storage, but after investigating the cost of the container, the delivery etc. we opted to have a cinder block structure constructed. I imagine that a good amount of insulation would have to be installed because the inside of a shipping container on the SOC side would be hot as hell during the summer. Thanks again.... :D
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2021 at 11:39 AM

We’re probably doing a container house not too far from the one pictured. I think it’s faster to build than block and more earthquake and hurricane resistant. Especially since it’s planned to be 2 stories.

Insulating containers is straight forward. They can either spray foam or you can buy sheets that match the wall shape. You just drywall over the Insulation. You paint the roof and as much outside as possible with the very white roof paint which keeps the container much cooler to start with. Containers are easer to mount solar panels on as well because of the existing steel framework and attach points.

We’ll post progress pictures as we go forward. There are several other container houses in the area.
Chup
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2021 at 06:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
We’re probably doing a container house not too far from the one pictured. I think it’s faster to build than block and more earthquake and hurricane resistant. Especially since it’s planned to be 2 stories.

Insulating containers is straight forward. They can either spray foam or you can buy sheets that match the wall shape. You just drywall over the Insulation. You paint the roof and as much outside as possible with the very white roof paint which keeps the container much cooler to start with. Containers are easer to mount solar panels on as well because of the existing steel framework and attach points.

We’ll post progress pictures as we go forward. There are several other container houses in the area.

Please do...A container home in Baja has been floating around my slow brain for few years now. I'd really be interested in your progress

Cheers
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2021 at 04:59 AM

One money-saving method of putting up an inexpensive structure in Baja involves salvaging/buying/scrounging windows, doors, plumbing fixtures, electrical fixtures, rebar and roofing materials NoB.

The house is then designed around these things.

And for gods sake find a decent source of block. It should be impossible to tunnel through it with your car key.

A guy I know built two houses this way near Santiago. He bought a flatbed trailer and just piled stuff on, slapped a simple 2x4 and plywood frame around all his stuff, screwed a blue tarp tightly over everything and hauled it down.

He helped build and supervised and was on-hand to make decisions and pay costs.

The house goes up quickly this way, too.

I'll just assume you know where to get a concrete mixer or a truck delivery for slabs. And know how to find-hire-pay workers property. And where to file plans. And check building codes.
And cross the border with used items.
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2021 at 06:30 AM

Lumber prices are through the ceiling. Makes you think of a different type of roof construction and material to use.

Es Todo Bueno
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-27-2021 at 07:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
Lumber prices are through the ceiling. Makes you think of a different type of roof construction and material to use.

At the same time, timber prices are in the toilet! I have been clearing bug killed, and fire hazard trees from my property, and I had to look long and hard for a truck that would not charge me to haul them away.

There used to be a half dozen or so sawmills in this area, but now they get trucked to the valley for processing, or shipping over seas. Even with healthy pine trees, or more desirable species like cedar and fir, it would be hard to recover the cost of harvesting them!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2021 at 09:32 AM

AK,

Why don't you buy a portable sawmill for a couple thousand and sell the wood locally?
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2021 at 09:46 AM

The problem with a sawmill is that is just the start. You need equipment to move and stack the trees/lumber, a place to store and dry the wood. Probably going to need some help and insurance to cover them, that's just the start.
I have a few friends that do it for fun and to make cool wood for projects but it is very time consuming but might become more popular with the current wood prices?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-27-2021 at 06:38 PM

The main reason for not buying a mill, is I'm 74, and don't want to work that hard anymore!

I found a guy (also from Alaska) that has a mill, and a skid steer loader. I have D-6 Cat for the bigger stuff, so we are working together. It is sad to see the old trees die off, some of them are 30 to 40 inches in diameter, and are about 100 years old!

[Edited on 4-28-2021 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2021 at 08:00 AM

the reason for your low log prices is likely the size. most mills are now set up for smaller stock.
i have friends in western Oregon who are getting all time record high prices for logs.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.