Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  6
Author: Subject: Cost estimate 750 sq feet cinder block structure
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2011 at 08:55 AM

google "used cargo containers san diego" you will find tons. FWIW last year in western colorado a 40' was $2200 and a 20' was $1800. Containers are sold as surplus and also they may be sold as they no longer meet a ships requirements. they leak/ Inspect carefully before buying. Surplus is obviously better.
Will trade design ideas for Pacifico :)

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2011 at 08:57 AM

I guess there are so many of them floating around in the oceans that they're a hazard to navigation.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2011 at 09:26 AM

because of the trade imbalance, it's sometimes more economical for shippers to sell used containers here than ship them back to China empty

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/ae/article/On-Architecture-Transfor...

http://dornob.com/diy-used-cargo-homes-shipping-container-ho...

http://www.containeralliance.com/buyers-guide.php

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-28-2011 at 10:16 AM

simple - cover walls in 4" to 6" of EPS foam [like used in stucco as 1" backer]. The same material is used in refer cargo trailers hauling frozen or cold stored foods in semi set ups - we used to get them and convert to job trailer offices in AZ - 3" of foam std in the wall skins behind the metal skins.

then coat with std brown and a finish in white or spray it white.

find a foam applicator for the roof or if that is not avail use mobile home sno coat and shade it best you can.

there is a lot to say about "outsulation" in building processes or conversions.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2011 at 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
let's say $1.50/block times 1000 = $1500. you're gonna tell me it's $38.5 g's to lay 1000 block (per the quote above).

yeah, i am missing something. should i re-read the entire post?

Just the small things like...

labor
social security
backhoe
cement
gravel
sand
water
rebar
plumbing
plumbing fixtures(showers, sinks, toilets, pumps/tanks...ect)
wiring
electrical fixtures( lights, breaker boxes...ect)
tile
cabinets
doors
windows
roof sealer
propane tanks
forming wood
concrete sealer
paint
enviromental study
blueprints
permits
....etc.:lol:

[Edited on 8-28-2011 by classicbajabronco]
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2011 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willyAirstream
google "used cargo containers san diego" you will find tons. FWIW last year in western colorado a 40' was $2200 and a 20' was $1800. Containers are sold as surplus and also they may be sold as they no longer meet a ships requirements. they leak/ Inspect carefully before buying. Surplus is obviously better.
Will trade design ideas for Pacifico :)

The problem that I will have is transporting the shipping container down to San Lucas Cove. I will have to buy it from a place where they can also deliver it. So I am hoping that maybe La Paz or Ensenada.......
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2011 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by drzura
The problem that I will have is transporting the shipping container down to San Lucas Cove. I will have to buy it from a place where they can also deliver it. So I am hoping that maybe La Paz or Ensenada.......

It seems it would be a waste if you had to ship it empty. Load it with imported freight and you may get that container for nothing.....or less.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2011 at 05:15 PM

I'm sure you could buy it in SD and have a transport MX/AMER company deliver it. Or buy it (or them) in usa and have the interior built there, then ship and live. Plug and play. Not only Think outside the box, Live in the box!

Or buy a container full of the latest widgets from China and take delivery in GN ;)

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2011 at 02:40 PM

Because you live in San Lucas, you have no environmental study to do so that can be thrown out right away. I put up a 1000 ft garage for a whole lot less money and did a two story addition that is 16 x 32 and I don't think I will have quite 30k in the two story even though I have a full bath, storage closet, and mini-split a/c.
So if you want to draw up some plans I have a guy who is my favorite contractor here in San Bruno and I could get you an estimate. The best building materials, in my opinion, are the ones that evolved over time and used by the locals. Steel studs with drywall are a total disaster in this type of climate with the heat and humidity. Wood use should be kept to a minimum since it is such good bait for the termites. For your use, you could certainly get by with a stringer down the middle and two by six rafters, which are treated with diesel fuel and tar to repel the termites.

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 10-5-2011 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willyAirstream
I'm sure you could buy it in SD and have a transport MX/AMER company deliver it. Or buy it (or them) in usa and have the interior built there, then ship and live. Plug and play. Not only Think outside the box, Live in the box!

Or buy a container full of the latest widgets from China and take delivery in GN ;)

They buit a complete Hospital complete with room furnishings on the Dock's in Houston Texas and shipped it to Saudi.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-5-2011 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
Here's what I've seen happen many times around here (and From previous personal experience):

A person has sticker shock when they're told about building costs so they opt for the trailer.
They invest in A decent size but not brand new trailer= $12,000-15,000.
Build a concrete pad, maybe a few walls and a Palapa= $15,000.
Septic system, tinaco for water storage and a couple of solar panels and batteries $3000-4000 +.
They realize they need a bodega for storage= $8,000-10,000.
They get tired of bumping their elbows while showering and they build a little bathroom/shower= $5000-10,000.

Now they've invested close to $50,000 in the 20 year trailer and the water pump goes out, the fridge stops working and they've replaced the water heater for the 3rd time and they still have a 20 year old trailer...

As the assistant financial officer of a casa currently under construction, I'd say Bob's figure is little lower than I would have estimated. Sand and gravel and water deliveries to the jobsite? Storage for your block and bags of cement during construction? Transportation of your materials? These are examples of the "extras" that add to you labor and materials estimates. The cost of Social Security for the workers will really surprise you. As Bob mentioned, tack on $10,000-12,000 for an Environmental Impact Study depending on your location.

But when you're finally finished, you've got a casa.

...in the current buyers market, seems easier and cheaper to buy a resale house than to build new.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-20-2018 at 12:50 PM

He is an old gem I ran across doing research.
Whatever happened? Did a house get built.
I am trying to determine the cost of my 1st structure. It will be in essence a studio/1br apartment size.
Later to become a guest house if I get that far.
Maybe 500 sqft.
A bedrroom area/a kitchenette, 1 bathroom with but no tube just shower. So 1/2 bath I guess they call it.
The pool, shauna, jacuzzi, massage studio, etc. all come later so just the basics.
I'm trying to decide whether to use a chunk of 401k money when I rurn 59.5 or try and due it with monthly payments over time.
I guess I can afford about $1000/ month construction cost.
And I am in no real hurry now.
But I would love it if it was done today;):coolup:

[Edited on 3-20-2018 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-20-2018 at 01:02 PM

GEEZ! Will this never end?

bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2018 at 03:22 AM

it will cost as much as your contractor can squeeze out of you.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-21-2018 at 06:38 AM

This thread is SEVEN years old..

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-21-2018 at 09:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
This thread is SEVEN years old..
NOT anymore ! Unfortunately ...

Although it would be interesting to find out the the final outcome of something like this ?

Far too often someone will post questions , such as this, and will never post again. Makes one wonder what they did with all the good (and possibly bad) advice ?

[Edited on 3-21-2018 by Paco Facullo]
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2018 at 11:18 AM

Was just quoted 3000 pesos per square meter, labor only, obra negra, (rough construction, no finishes or windows, doors, electrical, plumbing) two story block construction. I'd a bit more than double that to include materials and if you are able and willing do the rest yourself or sub it out.
People pay way too much to involve an "architect", whom generally doubles the overall cost. Open an account at building supply, have deliveries included, pay the social security and permit yourself. Using this method you can build, (using humble finishes), for $50/$60/ square foot.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-21-2018 at 11:52 AM

Nice. Good info.
By that calculation even a 500 sq ft casita is $25000-30000.
I hope I can do it cheaper.
But now I have a realistic number to work with.
Thanks.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2018 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Nice. Good info.
Thanks.

That squares with $40K for 750 square feet as well.

John
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-21-2018 at 12:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Nice. Good info.
Thanks.

That squares with $40K for 750 square feet as well.

John

Ok thanks. I need to figure a way to save all the info people send me.
I know I have duplicated my questions a few times.
But now I have two verifiable building estimates that match.
I'm getting smarter!

Pages:  1    3    5  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.