[*] posted on 8-19-2011 at 09:33 PM
An Unexpected Building Expense

TUMS (for yourself)

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2011 at 10:02 PM
"A Day in the Life"

of an abanil.

This was fun, figuring out what this photo was all about, and to do so I asked for professional help.
I showed the photo to my partner who is also a builder of homes out of blocks, and within a couple minutes he had it all dialed in.

First, he dismissed my query of potential danger. He was zeroed in on figuring what the guy is building and was concerned that there were only 4 thin bars being used, just couldn't get his head around that. He and I both initially wondered if you were constructing a chimney then dismissed that when we looked below-- oops, no fireplace.

Then he really was concerned. Figured you were putting a second floor up there and said you'd have a problem with wind (only 4 bars).

Again, I pointed out the precarious perch of the scaffolding which brought his eye to your roofline. It was at this point that we realized what you're building: a rooftop patio with palapa roof, right? Those four bars will suffice quite nicely for support of that non-weight bearing structure.

Again, I asked what he thought about the safety aspect of the ad hoc scaffolding. "No pasa nada," was his final answer. "Its safe enough and the guy didn't fall off, did he?"

Construction workers. They're quite a unique bunch of maestros, no?

... so, are you building a palapa roof up there, oladulce? Do we get what's behind Door #3 for having the correct answer-- not that you asked-- but do we?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 8-19-2011 at 11:00 PM

Fist rate. come on, he's got a level in his hand and he is even using rebar! My guys used a string with a sparkplug tied to the end. Safe enough. ;)

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2011 at 07:14 AM

love it. gracias.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-20-2011 at 07:49 AM

OSHA approved, for sure!

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2011 at 08:11 AM

If he falls it would be! But these guys are improv masters. Still don't know what it is? Do I guess a Satellite base for Telephone & TV? No se:wow: Tio
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-20-2011 at 08:52 AM

He is building a concrete block cross on top of the building.

All of the blocks sitting on top of the scafold have notches for HORIZONTAL rebar so I would guess that his next course will have horizontal rebar protroding out from the column on both sides and he will build suports to hold up horizontal blocks and the go back to completeing the central column.:?::?:

Bob Durrell
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2011 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
All of the blocks sitting on top of the scafold have notches for HORIZONTAL rebar and the go back to completeing the central column.:?::?:

Yeah..., but they seem to be notched on the sides rather than the ends.
Looks like a column being stacked on a poured concrete floor, much like the one below the roof. It will hold up the roof for the second floor.

Thas the way I sees it.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-20-2011 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
All of the blocks sitting on top of the scafold have notches for HORIZONTAL rebar and the go back to completeing the central column.:?::?:

Yeah..., but they seem to be notched on the sides rather than the ends.

and your point is?

Attachment: cross.doc (30kB)
This file has been downloaded 301 times

Bob Durrell
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2011 at 11:28 AM

Quote:
[and your point is?

I really don't have one. :light:
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2011 at 01:38 PM

Here's a shot from today. They poured the upstairs deck cover yesterday so the forms are still up. You're right Mulegena, the columns support the patio cover but it's not palapa. It's foam blocks, "casetones" and concrete. Dennis is partially correct- the upstairs cover is like the patio cover below it. Both will have roof tile eventually.

The roof of the 2nd story building itself will be the same foam construction but it's actually a separate structure from this deck cover and they'll start working on it within the next few weeks.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2011 at 09:59 AM

beautiful shots !!!! and loved the leader !! heck yeah, TUMS ....

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 8-21-2011 at 10:22 AM

I think your guy is going a particularly good job by comparison to much I've seen. My trained eye goes to: No beams between t he posts. So the drip edge of the concrete roof structure must include enough reinforcement to replace the missing beam. Or, the roof structure is mostly styro?

Construction Safety!!! I remember working a union job in California where I was called on to scrape snow and ice off the tops of 5 1/2" wide GluLams where the lowest possible fall was 21 feet! :no:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-21-2011 at 10:23 AM

oh please post more pics of the foam construction...looks interesting and new to us here...I love watching nomad casas come together!!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-21-2011 at 10:23 AM

oh please post more pics of the foam construction...looks interesting and new to us here...I love watching nomad casas come together!!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2011 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
Dennis is partially correct

I'm improving. :biggrin: Thanks.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 8-21-2011 at 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
Dennis is partially correct

I'm improving. :biggrin: Thanks.

We are all works in progress...

;)

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 8-21-2011 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

Using as a roof cover is new to me too---yes please more pics!
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2011 at 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
I think your guy is going a particularly good job by comparison to much I've seen. My trained eye goes to: No beams between t he posts. So the drip edge of the concrete roof structure must include enough reinforcement to replace the missing beam. Or, the roof structure is mostly styro?

We told the guys from the start, if there's something in our design that's going to be a pain to do or if there's a better way, please tell us and we'll change it. But one thing I could NOT live with was to look at horizontal concrete beams between the patio posts.

The longest roof span between the columns is 10 ft. Martin, the head maestro, could tell it was a biggie for me, and they figured out if they used larger gauge rebar they could make the spans without an (ugly) visible support beam.

Here's the top of the patio cover. These foam blocks are 6" thick

Here's where they were preparing to pour the roof over the first floor of the casa. Lots of work for BigWooo getting the plumbing and wiring ready for the roof pour.
The wooden boxes are for a bath fan and the recessed lights which will be mounted in the ceiling of course, but he had to come up with a way to keep the spaces open so the concrete could be poured around the openings and wiring, and something to mount the fixtures to later on.

What the caseton roof looks like underneath after the pour. After a few coats of plaster, you'd never know what was under there.The patio cover can be seen through the "windows"- perfecto!

[Edited on 8-22-2011 by oladulce]
BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2011 at 05:06 PM
espectacular

Great looking arches, space, view. Felicitaciones compa.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.