Author: Subject: The Hunting Thread
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 02:22 PM
The Hunting Thread

DIALOGUE WITH A HUNTER.

Part One:

So here we are….and here's about 2 cents worth of my opinion.

”Who are Hunters?”

Well….Here’s some typical ones hunting Honkers over decoys in a ND wheat stubble field just a couple days ago.

A normal scene Up North in the fall.

Dawn View from my ‘coffin’

More coffin views…a comfy place really…I often take siestas.

Above: I ‘shot’ these mallards coming into our decoys with my Nikon rather than my Browning.

The gadwalls, widgeons, greenheads, redheads, cans, and teal seem to mounting some kind of attack strategy?

Munga!! Incoming! Watch it, they’re flanking you.

Munga flags some in….this technique of flapping a black wing-shape to attract far-away ducks or geese really works…and well! Waterfowl will see that wing motion from a long ways away...a mile and more.

These honkers have made up their minds….their wings are SET….and they’re gliding in.

We are hidden from sight in our coffin blinds…shotguns at the ready… silent as the tomb...although the rustle of Hersey wrappers under my arse does not help.

Below: ‘Munga’ and son creating lifetime memories. A fine dad, Brian, and a fine son, Gavin…and two of my finest buddies. HUNTERS Gavin is 15, an ‘A’ student, and already a football lineman star. Takes after Pop. Dad Brain/Munga is a large fellow..6’4”. Even as a child, he was big…neighborhood folks said he was humungous!. .and so earned the nickname Munga forever after.

The chances of Munga ever strutting are non-existent, so I’ll do it for him. Munga’s a Lt. Colonel, a wizard with an M-16, recently winning 1st place in a 500-yard open sight shoot at Camp Grafton this summer, plus taking 3rd place in 9mm pistol.

However, this is NOT your average range shoot competition…this combat event begins hardcore by sprinting 200 yards with full pack thru obstacles, then standing, kneeling, laying while shooting free-style at moving man-targets 500yds away in a very short time…seconds. These are training exercises & competitions for seals, special forces, snipers, black ops, etc… people in their tough twenties. Young guy stuff. Munga is 51. Hey, Mung… you won 1st place, open post sight…at 500 yards moving? - after that workout?…not bad, amigo, not bad at all.

But WHY do you always miss the first honker of the season?? And… Maybe you can carry my shotgun & thermos to my blind for me?

The Central Flyway where we are hunting…stretches from Canada to Mexico, channels many millions of waterfowl south each year…only to return the flocks in spring migrations to the nesting grounds on the tundra and ponds Up North.

Some insight on who ‘real’ hunters are and what they do for us all.

First, some ..aha!...HISTORY! :yes::rolleyes:

Hunting has always been a varied activity, bristling with tradition and rich in heritage, yet at the same time fraught with innovation. We know who our ancestors and our country's founders are, and that many of them hunted, whether for food or fellowship or both.

We also know that hunters, though they are "consumptive" users of our wildlife, were and are instrumental in the unprecedented and largely unappreciated restoration of American wildlife populations during the 1900s and beyond.

But in our ever-more-urbanized modern nation, many folks don't appreciate all that hunters have done (and continue to do) for our nation's wildlife, and just as importantly, who the hunters of today are…like the ones you might recall in a certain Baja desert bighorn thread.

Real Hunters, the original conservationists, seek always to preserve and protect the very wildlife which they pursue and kill in the course of hunting.

For a hunter to explain to a non-hunter his deep love for the animals which he or she pursues is often very difficult, if not impossible at times. But this very love is exemplified in the lengths to which hunters go to preserve healthy habitat for, and populations of, both game and non-game species of wildlife.

Taxes and Fees: Just one example: In Baja the rates are enormous for bighorns. To hunt a trophy bighorn in Baja start to finish, you will get scant change back from 100 grand.

Both hunters and non-consumptive users (like Baja hikers and wildlife watchers) benefit from this fee & tax, while hunters willingly bear the brunt of its cost. This money provides benefits for both hunting and non-hunting folks.

Who are hunters? For one thing, they are the generous folks who pay for projects like these, that benefit everyone.

The Clark Salyer Wildlife Refuge that I live next to is visited by thousands of birders from all over the world. Audubon Society loves this area…shorebirds, songbirds, and all types frequent the marsh and woodlands in countless numbers and varieties. A true natural wonder..and one I never tire of viewing.

The hunters of our past included folks from every walk of life, from the original colonists and early explorers of North America to settlers of the American west, to a great number of our Presidents, including my all-time favorite president..notable hunter and conservationist Theodore Roosevelt, and many others throughout the years.

Many settlers and inhabitants of this nation supplemented their food supplies by shooting game to go along with the vegetables and other crops they grew for their own use.

As the need to use game as food declined, the desire to remain connected with our predecessors and our own inner "primal" urges remained. Still, real hunters (then and now) take only what can be used, never killing just to see something die.

If you know someone like that, please do not call them 'hunters'...call them what they are..inhumane slobs. Hunters won't abide thier company. Admittedly, there was and is a very small percentage of people who call themselves hunters, who will kill animals needlessly.

These are not hunters and they never have been, they are outlaws and poachers, and hunters refuse to be counted along with these miscreants.

Every activity has its good and bad participants, and to judge any group or activity based on the poor behavior of a few fools is both stupid and wrong.

TO BE CONTINUED…NATURALLY. I’VE GOT A LOT MORE TO SAY ABOUT HUNTING…..AND KILLING.

[Edited on 11-2-2011 by Pompano]

[Edited on 11-17-2011 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 02:56 PM

wow.

amazing photos (duh)

amazing writing to go with it (duh)

absolutely fantastic to read and see ~ thanks.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 03:06 PM

Thanks much for sharing .... some pretty country up your way ... and by the way...

[Edited on 9-9-2011 by wessongroup]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 04:20 PM

Nice pictoral of a culture of "killing."

Isn't that what it's all about? Useing the best weapon and tactics to kill an animal?
Doesn't matter that you may eat the animal, if you do,......it's the hunt that matters.
The kill.
It's you against them...you and your efffing firearms against a stupid glorious creature that only tries to find peace in it's life. You kill it just to kill it and justify your latest purchase of a gun that would take down an airplane.

Game management? BS. Game killing is your motivation. It makes your penis swell with power when nothing else can accomplish that feat anymore.

Keep shooting.......Keep killing. Keep telling yourself you're performing a public service.

What a self delusionment you get for your license fee.

[Edited on 9-10-2011 by DENNIS]
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 04:42 PM

Pampano:
Thanks. Those are just super shots. The Boss (wife) and I went up there a few years ago for the Goose opener on the North Dakota-Canadian border. I think that was about 10-1 then. We were at Bowbells, N.D. I loved setting up the decoys in the canola stubble in the dark with the Northern Lights above us....freezing! We called the place "Blueballs" instead.
Got two beautiful big Giganta Honkers which we ate after tenderizing them for about two days. Good stuff when mixed with mushroom soup.

I agree completely about the idiots who shoot just to kill...if you don't eat it you are a criminal to shoot it. Even if I eat it I sometimes wish I hadn't shot it...those big honkers who mate for life and are smarter than most politicians are examples.

BB :-)
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bonanza bucko
...those big honkers who mate for life

I didn't know that. As a counter-point to Rogers pictures.....it hurts all the more.

If hunters want so badly to kill....why don't they join the army or become pest exterminators?
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 05:13 PM

Thanks for the tour and great pics Pompano! Having grown up in Michigan, many hunters in the family, mainly uncles and cousins, I can begin to understand your love for the sport.:yes:

I never "got into" the hunting game, as I was always out fishing, or on a field or court involved in sports, Dad at a dragstrip 45 weekends a year, oldest of six kids, just no time.

If you get the same feelings I do while I'm on the ocean or lakes, while you hunt, you also are a lucky man!!

I have "killed" a great number of fish, and loved every one of them, deeply. It is not the "kill" that keeps me on the water as much as humanly and financially possible, it is the appreciation for the gifts of nature, beauty, vastness, and the bounty on my plate at dinner that night!!!

Keep on hunting and posting more great photos, please. :yes:

Oh, I've been "killing" a few dorado, on your old Trophy down here in La Paz, nice little boat. A friend bought it, and we fish pretty much every week.

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
It is not the "kill" that keeps me on the water as much as humanly and financially possible, it is the appreciation for the gifts of nature, beauty, vastness, and the bounty on my plate at dinner that night!!!

Ohhh pleeeze.....you fish for food? You may eat some of it, but that's not why you fish.
You fish for the thrill of catching them....and you know it.

You appreciate the gifts of nature? By setting a hook in a fish's mouth and tearing it apart on lite tackle?

How about that Fish? Doncha think it appreciates the gifts of nature....such as life itself? Or, don't you think fish think about that detail?
Worse yet....don't you think it matters?

Gawwwwdammmm...you "sportsmen" are so disingenuous....even to yourselves.

Face it....you fish for the strike, the retrieve...the kill.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 05:56 PM

Great hunter. Here's a small window you can use to avoid all the stuff that might come after chapters 2 thru 17 from Dennis and others. The thread took a button hook from you to fishing. Perfect exit if you hurry.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 06:03 PM

i'm a wavehunter..... i bet those geese taste pretty damn good, eh?

c'mon Dennis, everyone steps on nature's toes in some way or another. it's part of the deal being the apex predator.

edit: '

[Edited on 9-10-2011 by woody with a view]

bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
It is not the "kill" that keeps me on the water as much as humanly and financially possible, it is the appreciation for the gifts of nature, beauty, vastness, and the bounty on my plate at dinner that night!!!

Ohhh pleeeze.....you fish for food? You may eat some of it, but that's not why you fish.
You fish for the thrill of catching them....and you know it.

You appreciate the gifts of nature? By setting a hook in a fish's mouth and tearing it apart on lite tackle?

How about that Fish? Doncha think it appreciates the gifts of nature....such as life itself? Or, don't you think fish think about that detail?
Worse yet....don't you think it matters?

Gawwwwdammmm...you "sportsmen" are so disingenuous....even to yourselves.

Face it....you fish for the strike, the retrieve...the kill.

Yup, it is a thrill Dennis. So are the whale sharks, whales, birds, baitfish schools covering acres of water, dolphin and porpoise crashing through, gulping down every sardina they can!

The sun rising at 6:30 in the morning over the Sea Of Cortez, and the clicker goes off on the first fish of the new day. One more frosty Pacifico as I turn towards the launch ramp.

The pelicans and gulls waiting for the scraps of remains as I clean the couple fish I did not release.
The smiles on the faces of the people I feed the freshest fish the've ever eaten. :biggrin:

OR, I can eat slaughtered cattle, pigs, sheep, goats, and chickens, raised in deplorable filth and confinement, every day of my life. :?:

If I had ever gained a taste for venison, goose, duck, or elk, I would also be out hunting every chance I had. I eat what I kill, and only kill what I will use.

Head down to the local Soriana's, grab a steak, and enjoy! I'm sure it doesn't mind!!:rolleyes:

I prefer my day on the water and a nice meal of fresh fish a few days a week, to offset some of the commercial crap food I enjoy, though I know they are not really good for me.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
Head down to the local Soriana's, grab a steak, and enjoy! I'm sure it doesn't mind!!:rolleyes:

Well....you can make all the assumptions necessary to justify your activities. I'm sure guessing at mine is easier than addressing YOUR issues....which is morphing from disinginuity to self delusionment to outright lying.
Jeeeezo....where do you guys go from here?
--------------

Conversation between two Stewards of Life on the deck of a sport-fisher heading to the Killing Fields:

"Hey, Gus...you all set up with your heavy gear to tear into these gosh darnm Tunas and stuff out here?"

Gus grabs his fishing rod off the rail like he wants to choke it and says, "Hell yea, Tank. I didn't come all the way out here to mess around. I came here to be a Naturalist. See this here pole? I made it myself. This thing wouldn't bend if it snagged a runaway freight train and that's the way I likes it 'cause I'm a concerned sportsman.
How's about you? Are you ready?"

Tank spits, but it kinda doesn't go far and streaks an oily trail down the front of his Raider jacket.
"Yep. I'm all set. Right now, I'm feeling as one with our Creator 'cause I'm doing His work to interact with another of His miracles, a noble species of the water kingdom 'cause, jes like you, Gus, I'm a Naturalist and lover of nature and see it as my duty to catch these suckers by pulling out their guts with this here big-ass stainless steel hook and gaffing them to burger getting them on board.
Say...Gus............didja ever use one of these Triple-Quad-Hex Hooks? These muthas will put a stop to anything in the water, from a Naturalist point of view anyway, which is of course our concern. I once snagged a Blue Fin right in the eye and had the most fun of my life getting that pile o' cat food on deck. Pretty much tore off half his gawwwdammmm face doin it, but you know me....I don't give up.
That's because I'm a concerned fisherman and I care about these animals. I care when........well....sumpin. I wish I could eat fish, but I can't stand the smelly stuff. I do like to catch them though, 'cause I'm a Naturalist and I care."

Gus laid his rod back across the rail, looked at Tank and said, "You ain't quite there yet, but someday, when you done had more learnin' like me, you'll be a Naturalist too, Son."

A dad and his boy, bonding on the water. What a glorius day.
---------------

May I pose a simple question to all you sportsmen out there:

Do fish feel pain when your hooks rip them apart and gaffs impale them to be slammed to the deck?
Do they know they've been seperated from their families to more often than not end up in a smoker....or a trash can?

I'm just askin'. I figure at least one of you Naturalists will have an answer that makes sense.
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 08:13 PM

Enjoy your dinner Dennis! Good night.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 08:15 PM

nice touch with the raiders tribute!:lol:

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 05:16 AM

Where to place my tree stands? Trail cams are set up, been downloading pics, no big bucks yet, a few small ones. Have pics of elk and bear. Getting a new scope on my rifle. Been viewing Google Maps. Hunting's gone hi-tech!;D
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 06:57 AM

Let's not forget these little trinkets of Sportsmanship. A whole family of deer could be slayed with just one trip-wire. What could be more fun than picking the prime cuts out of the surrounding bushes?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c1/US_...

http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarm...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Well....you can make all the assumptions necessary to justify your activities. I'm sure guessing at mine is easier than addressing YOUR issues....which is morphing from disinginuity to self delusionment to outright lying.
Jeeeezo....where do you guys go from here?
--------------

Conversation between two Stewards of Life on the deck of a sport-fisher heading to the Killing Fields:

"Hey, Gus...you all set up with your heavy gear to tear into these gosh darnm Tunas and stuff out here?"

Gus grabs his fishing rod off the rail like he wants to choke it and says, "Hell yea, Tank. I didn't come all the way out here to mess around. I came here to be a Naturalist. See this here pole? I made it myself. This thing wouldn't bend if it snagged a runaway freight train and that's the way I likes it 'cause I'm a concerned sportsman.
How's about you? Are you ready?"

Tank spits, but it kinda doesn't go far and streaks an oily trail down the front of his Raider jacket.
"Yep. I'm all set. Right now, I'm feeling as one with our Creator 'cause I'm doing His work to interact with another of His miracles, a noble species of the water kingdom 'cause, jes like you, Gus, I'm a Naturalist and lover of nature and see it as my duty to catch these suckers by pulling out their guts with this here big-ass stainless steel hook and gaffing them to burger getting them on board.
Say...Gus............didja ever use one of these Triple-Quad-Hex Hooks? These muthas will put a stop to anything in the water, from a Naturalist point of view anyway, which is of course our concern. I once snagged a Blue Fin right in the eye and had the most fun of my life getting that pile o' cat food on deck. Pretty much tore off half his gawwwdammmm face doin it, but you know me....I don't give up.
That's because I'm a concerned fisherman and I care about these animals. I care when........well....sumpin. I wish I could eat fish, but I can't stand the smelly stuff. I do like to catch them though, 'cause I'm a Naturalist and I care."

Gus laid his rod back across the rail, looked at Tank and said, "You ain't quite there yet, but someday, when you done had more learnin' like me, you'll be a Naturalist too, Son."

A dad and his boy, bonding on the water. What a glorius day.
---------------

May I pose a simple question to all you sportsmen out there:

Do fish feel pain when your hooks rip them apart and gaffs impale them to be slammed to the deck?
Do they know they've been seperated from their families to more often than not end up in a smoker....or a trash can?

I'm just askin'. I figure at least one of you Naturalists will have an answer that makes sense.

dennis:
the world is full of marooons who hunt. they are weak people that need guns to feel powerful. sad they are. dennis, no matter what you say, their pea brain minds cannot be changed. your criticism is pointless....
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 07:59 AM

for once I agree with the goat, dennis's criticism IS pointless.....

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 08:16 AM

I don't insult nonhunters, nor attempt to analyze their reasons for being nonhunters. Different strokes for different folks. But why do people find it necessary to insult people?:lol:
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 08:32 AM

Usually to make themselves feel better about themselves Cypress. They don't have personal issues, they have subscriptions!!!:no:

Pages:  1    3  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.