Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  66    68    70
Author: Subject: Ron Hoff/Bajagringo attacked
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 04:06 PM

Why not let Ron answer for himself? It was addressed to him, before others jump in as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by luv2fish
Quote:
Originally posted by ramuma53
Bajagringo
I am glad that you and your wife are ok after that bad ordeal.
I am looking forward to see if I can also help you in any way, I will be checking this thread from now on to see if I can be of any service.

You can help by not helping.:lol::?: :lol:
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 2-8-2014 at 12:36 PM

Just found this Thread, makes me proud to be a Nomad, what a great bunch of people ,
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2014 at 04:15 PM

Having only joined Baja Nomad within the past year, this is my first time viewing this thread as well. It definitely displays the potential power of a digital community.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2014 at 04:28 PM

It was an ordeal for Ron and Christina for certain.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 12-10-2020 at 11:47 AM
Nine+ years later...

For whatever reason and after all the time that has passed, over the last week I have received a lot of email from people reaching out to me, asking about how we came out of this and whatever happened to the perps, whether they are still in jail or released, etc. Not sure if this post was shared somewhere on another website or referenced to? I made a post on Talk Baja a few months back but the new messages are now coming via email and not FB Messenger which makes me think that this thread may be the source of the new curiosity as I have my email listed in my profile here.

I will share parts of what I posted on Talk Baja here, hoping to answer the questions and let you all know where we are today.

Once out of the hospital it would take me awhile to be able to walk again unassisted. Cristina’s physical wounds healed in the months that followed but she was left with both physical and deep emotional scars that she will carry with her the rest of her life. A psychiatrist in Tijuana diagnosed Cristina with severe PTSD; the memories of that day still giving her incredibly vivid and terrifying nightmares.

Cristina and I somehow survived that horrible day but it was only with the help of so many good friends and neighbors that we can both share our story with you. So many people that helped us and played critical roles in our rescue and hospital care, as well as assisting with so many things going on around us at that time that needed to be attended to when we simply were unable to do so.

In addition to our neighbors, I will never forget all the friends who stood by us as well as watched over our home for months including many close friends here in San Quintin and Baja Nomad members who came forward to help out with our hospital expenses.

The perps had taken my wallet and we had no access to any of our accounts for a couple of weeks until I was physically able to make the trip to the bank. I will never forget Sirena, Shari, Fernando, Gene, Reyes and his family along with a long list of our family, friends, doctors, nurses and countless others who all helped care for us in some way, including the Discover Baja Travel Club.

And life goes on.

Cristina and I still thank God every single day for each new day of life. We both feel like we have been given a second chance and have really learned to appreciate what it truly means to be alive. I also look back and recognize what made the critical differences between life and death that day, with one in particular that I recommend for those of you who choose (like us) to live in the more remote areas of this long and beautiful peninsula.

Stay close to your neighbors!

Living remotely down here feels like living in paradise. I get it, believe me I do. But to live remotely does not have to mean you are cut off from everybody and the one thing that played such a key role in us surviving that day was our connection to our neighbors. They knew us, our habits and even the tread mark of our tires on dirt.

They responded to our call for help as they would to a close family member – without hesitation and one even catching up to and closely following our vehicle when they recognized it while staying in contact with police on his cell phone. When it was announced that there was only one ambulance equipped to transport one of us at a time to advanced care in Ensenada, Reyes went into town and raised holy hell, calling all of his contacts in Ensenada and Mexicali to get the delegate to release a reserve ambulance.

We likely would not have gotten that level of response to a call that day from neighbors who were practical strangers.

So get to know your neighbors.

And contrary to some rumors that have been widely circulated, after nine years the perps are still incarcerated. The case is still ongoing and they have yet to be sentenced, believe it or not. We are still under the old system of justice which is much more time consuming and they themselves deeply complicated matters, trying numerous legal maneuvers over the years that have all failed, serving only to add countless months of legal bureaucracy and have only delayed the inevitable.

We have stayed very active and involved with the case and are very active in the local community of San Quintin. We make sure that the attorney prosecuting the case stays on top of things and they have proven themselves sincere advocates for us and our call for justice.

I want to take this opportunity again to thank everyone here on BajaNomad as well as all of our friends and family who helped us get through this awful ordeal. Your support and kindness has never, ever been forgotten.

God bless you all...

Ron and Cristina

[Edited on 12-10-2020 by BajaGringo]

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2020 at 11:55 AM

Hey Ron -- glad to read your words and know you're dealing with stuff. Long strange trip, indeed. Virtual hugs, man! Lee

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2020 at 12:36 PM

X2
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-10-2020 at 01:36 PM

Good to hear from you, Ron!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-10-2020 at 02:21 PM

The most recent post on this thread before today was many months before I discovered BajaNomad, so this is all news to me!

I don't think I will go back through 68 pages, but I saw enough to get a feel for what a nightmare the Hoff's went through.

Here's hoping that there are no more dark days!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2020 at 05:44 PM

Ron and Cristina,
All and every best wishes from your Sur amigos,
T&L

edited for a vowel from Vanna

[Edited on 12-11-2020 by CaboMagic]

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2020 at 08:02 PM

Ron, all I can tell you is it was an immense relief when I found Cristina. And the sheer desperation when we didn't know where you were.

One day I hope to meet you two in person!

On the other thread you wrote on, you mention that when dealing with druggies, walk away, run away, do not confront. I hope I understood the message correctly...I think it is a really important one.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2020 at 11:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Hey Ron -- glad to read your words and know you're dealing with stuff. Long strange trip, indeed. Virtual hugs, man! Lee

Thanks Lee. Life has thrown all sorts of challenges my way over the decades and I suppose that it's just a matter of being too hard headed to give in and/or give up. Cristina and I truly were blessed to be able to make it through.

I like to think it was my youngest - Olivia - who was pulling some strings from up in heaven.

A big virtual hug back at ya brother...

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2020 at 11:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
X2

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Good to hear from you, Ron!

Thank you, sincerely...

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2020 at 11:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
The most recent post on this thread before today was many months before I discovered BajaNomad, so this is all news to me!

I don't think I will go back through 68 pages, but I saw enough to get a feel for what a nightmare the Hoff's went through.

Here's hoping that there are no more dark days!

It was a nightmare and I try hard to keep looking forward, and not dwelling on what we went through. It's easy for me to say but not so much for Cristina, who was left with a quite severe case of PTSD. She amazes me how hard she tries each day to keep moving forward as well. She is a true survivor and my personal hero...

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2020 at 11:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboMagic  
Ron and Cristina,
All and every best wishes from your Sur amigos,
T&L

Thanks so much. We continue to be overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support from so many. It really has helped to restore our faith in humanity, something that was kind of hard to see for awhile after this all went down...

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2020 at 11:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Ron, all I can tell you is it was an immense relief when I found Cristina. And the sheer desperation when we didn't know where you were.

One day I hope to meet you two in person!

On the other thread you wrote on, you mention that when dealing with druggies, walk away, run away, do not confront. I hope I understood the message correctly...I think it is a really important one.

Thanks Blanca and I do hope that we can meet one day too. We still have plans at some point to make a trip down south of th4e 28th parallel and La Bocana would be on that list.

And yes, unfortunately today one simply has to think twice about wanting to help/interact with folks down here dealing with substance abuse issues. When you open your doors to them, you are basically opening your doors to all the low lifes around them too.

Sad times we are living in...

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2020 at 12:21 PM

Reading through all of the posts for the first time (took quite awhile) I thought I'd clear up a couple of things:

1. The reason that my daughter did not see the VA as a treatment option is that we had discussed that previously. Although I served in the US Navy, it was not during a time of war and my understanding was that precluded me from using the VA as a treatment option. Some have told me that is no longer the case and I still should find out if that is in fact true.

2. We self-funded our healthcare here in Mexico and did not carry US healthcare insurance as the distance to the border seemed to be an obstacle to using it enough to justify it. We both have excellent healthcare here in San Quintin.

3. When we were attacked, my wallet was taken with my ID and bank cards. I had attempted to add Cristina to my US bank accounts in the months prior but the bank up north was giving us trouble adding Cristina to the accounts. She had a valid US visa but her passport had expired. We were in the middle of building and simply hadn't taken the time to get that fixed, so even after she was out of the hospital, neither she or anyone else had no way of getting access to our bank accounts.

3. Cristina's name is Cristina Montes Monjo and yes, one of the last names of the perps is also Montes but we know of no family connection whatsoever - they are from different parts of Mexico.

Having taken the time to actually read through this entire thread has left me with a heavy burden of emotions - the difficult memories of that time we endured and survived, the warmth and joy from the outpouring of love and support from so many here and the heartfelt pain to read the words of friends here who were so concerned with our well being but today are no longer with us.

It has left me with a heavy emotional load on my plate today and a renewed appreciation for the value of good friends. Cristina and I both are forever in your debt. God bless you...

[Edited on 12-11-2020 by BajaGringo]

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2020 at 03:07 PM

Hey Ron, It was nice to meet you a few years back. I wish healing for you and Cristina. I hope for further distancing -- between you and this event -- that life threw at ya . I'm sure you have gained a lot of wisdom that'll be shared with other humans for the rest of your life. Take care buddy. Thanks for surviving and sharing.

Jon
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-11-2020 at 04:23 PM

We are glad you are here, too!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2020 at 06:05 AM

Last time I saw you Ron was there at Del Carmen hooked up to all those tubes and when I saw you it took my breath away! I really hope one day soon we can get together and chat. You will always have this "Brother" here in Ensenada whenever you need me.
 Pages:  1  ..  66    68    70

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.