Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  24    26    28  ..  70
Author: Subject: Ron Hoff/Bajagringo attacked
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja
So yes LET IT GO and back off a bit! the offers of help are in place a Nomads commando raid is NOT needed now!!!!

No way, Mike. We keep the issue alive. We speculate and we hope and pray.
When we lose our voice, we lose our motivation to participate.
We don't want that.

Thanks for your thoughts though. I usually give them very high marks.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 09:26 PM

here's the story:
I spoke to Christine, Ron's daughter and she as oposed to what has been stated here has been with her dad and yes, they, her and her husband have gone back to the states to take care of their child as Sirenita stated and will return on friday. If for any reason Christine was not seen at Ron's bedside is that this young lady had to go and be also with Cristina, remember Ron's wife. So she was back and forth between hospitals. Did whoever did all this checking on Mri's or none do the same? I personaly have spoken with Christina and I believe what she is telling me, she sounds like a very centered young woman who is keeping her cool, way better than some others. s much as I'd like to be in solidarity with Sirenita and just not post on this subject in order to avoid beeing called one with false information, for Ron and Cristina I will continue monitoring and reporting. There bare more people involved that are in charge of Ron and Cristina. According to Christine (daughter) her dad IS doing much better, his swelling in the face has gone down and he has had an MRI. She, even thou not physicaly in Ensenada will be in constant contact with the doctor in charge of Ron and viceversa. If Ron does get released in three days there is someone there looking after him and will take care of him and the transport. As for Cristina's condition, it is also much better, she was drinking water already.
Now as for the moneys; The $5,000 dollars is the total estimate. Christine spent $10,000 pesos yesterday, $20,000 pesos today at the hospital and $7,000 for lab expenses (maybe the alleged MRI?) and yes, part of that was paid with a debit card. The balance is about $25,000 pesos, so all in all there you have the roughly $5,000 dollars.
It could be more so that is why this young woman and her husband went back to the US, to see if Ron had some funds available that they could get to pay for all this mess.
I recomend strongly that instead of putting someone down or critisizing for helping as much as posible, you should aplaud them for making the right decisions for the best interest of her dad and Cristina. They DID NOT JUST LEAVE, they left someone in charge!
Now Christine is aware of the monetary offers made here BUT NO, NO ONE IS MONITORING THIS THREAD TO HIKE UP THE BILL! She is aware of it because I told her! So now what, it aparently won't be for a transfer but to pay the hospital. If you all want, I can go as soon as maņana.
We were doing just fine in the afternoon with the good news that they are both getting better. What went wrong? Why can't it be possible? Why must they be the same or worse?

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Hate to say this but they could be calculating the bill following the fund raising on this site.

BINGO

My two cents. It's too bad Ron's family couldn't follow this thread. It would seem the hospital (and press) took Ron for a US Citizen and charged him $5000 in treatment expenses. What they could have done is what this thread presented- that Ron and Cristina are both Mexican citizens with catastrophic health care through the Serguro Popular insurance plan. There should be no $5000 expense. Ron and Cristina planned for this event and accepted that the Seguro Popular and Mexican hospital system was good enough for them in a catastrophe. His family chooses to keep them where they are without being transported. None of our good intentions as Nomads trump that of his family. Many Nomads could not have a family member there that quickly- if at all. It is those Nomads who would continue to benefit from all our additional advice. Ron is in good hands with his family and we need to accept that they are making the decisions on treatment. We should just support them all we can for now and hang back a bit. But let's also make sure they don't get fleeced. jmho

[Edited on 9-13-2011 by Woooosh]

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
I have noticed on this thread there has been a lot of talk about Ron, Very little about his Wife. On previous threads I have read he has quite the extended family in the local community' apperantly some of then are well conected.

well where the heck are they all??? Sirena nor Lizard lips saw anyone there for them...ron should have an advocate there by his side round the clock...family or not.
I agree with Shari's statement wholeheartedly; however, I do agree that we need to calm down and regain some reason here, kind people. Storming the castle isn't the tone that needs to be set now.

In u2u's there've been attempts to pass on to the daughter(s) generic information about head trauma injuries and some tough questions that need to be posed to the medical staff. Don't think this has been successful, which is very unfortunate.

Having been in all three roles-- as a medical professional, as a hospital patient and family-member of hospital patient-- I absolutely agree that there needs to be a patient advocate to do for that incapacitated person what he or she is unable.

This may be the tough stuff like quietly but firmly standing up and questioning the authority of a physician, i.e. saying "No" or asking succinct questions, or equally important-- and I can't emphasis this enough-- giving physical comfort to the sick individual, holding his/her hand, gently speaking or reading to the patient (yes, even an unconscious patient receives this and responds).

It would be in Ron & Cristina's interests to arrange for visits.
Could the daughters give permission for this?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 09:34 PM

SHARI...

I agree with eveything you just said. I don't feel right about what is going on....NOT ONE LITTLE BIT!

There should be someone there at ALL TIMES! I still cannot believe the daughter left for home, 5 year old or not. Doesn't she have a best friend or relative who can watch him!

AND YES...I would like to be there myself if I could. I'm getting frustrated reading these posts and what seems like a lack of action!

I'll say it again, if Celia of Binational is called, she may be able get a temporary visa for Cristina to accompany Ron to the SD VA hospital. This type of emergency situation/problem is what she is an expert in working out. MY gosh.....she has worked out situations where she has convinced Mexican and US officials to allow C-130's and Coast Guard helicopters to cross into Mexico to evacuate injured/sick Americans!

Let's not give up yet!

Miguelamo :mad: :yes: :?:

BTW..as I said in an earlier post, If I could be there I would be. Sadly, I do
not have transportation to get me there, or I would be there in an instant with my toothbrush and a couple of changes of Tidy Whities!

Nomad Amigos...Here\'s hoping you all have safe Baja travels, amazing sunrises, sunny days, comforting breezes, beautiful sunsets, tasty tacos, cold cervezas and frosty margaritas!!
bigjohn
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 09:48 PM

Amo, Do you mean tighty whities? Just thought I would inject a little extra humor into a tense thread!
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 09:52 PM

Seguro popular is NOT in any way the coverage you want to get when a major health issue happens to you. Even Mexicans don't do it if they have a choice of taking a loved one to a private hospital.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AmoPescar
SHARI...

I agree with eveything you just said. I don't feel right about what is going on....NOT ONE LITTLE BIT!

There should be someone there at ALL TIMES! I still cannot believe the daughter left for home, 5 year old or not. Doesn't she have a best friend or relative who can watch him!

AND YES...I would like to be there myself if I could. I'm getting frustrated reading these posts and what seems like a lack of action!

I'll say it again, if Celia of Binational is called, she may be able get a temporary visa for Cristina to accompany Ron to the SD VA hospital. This type of emergency situation/problem is what she is an expert in working out. MY gosh.....she has worked out situations where she has convinced Mexican and US officials to allow C-130's and Coast Guard helicopters to cross into Mexico to evacuate injured/sick Americans!

Let's not give up yet!

not have transportation to get me there, or I would be there in an instant with my toothbrush and a couple of changes of Tidy Whities!

Doug posted that Cristina and Ron were both in the U.S. together not long ago... so I would call that having legal status here.

I also posted early in this thread that I in formed Doug by phone that I have a vehicle with an annual Mexican auto insurance already on it should the need arrise that I and another Nomad + (room for 3-4 paasengers) could go from here to Ensenada or San Quintin.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
SHARI...

Let's not give up yet!

Doug posted that Cristina and Ron were both in the U.S. together not long ago... so I would call that having legal status here.

I also posted early in this thread that I in formed Doug by phone that I have a vehicle with an annual Mexican auto insurance already on it should the need arrise that I and another Nomad + (room for 3-4 paasengers) could go from here to Ensenada or San Quintin.

David, by law you cannot transport patients in anything less than an ambulance.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh

My two cents. It's too bad Ron's family couldn't follow this thread.

I forwarded this thread location to Ron's daughter in Argentina. I'll probably hear from Ron's son (also in Argentina) tomorrow. Just trying to help out.

-Ken

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 09:57 PM

I didn't offer to transport a patient... I offered to go to Mexico with other Nomads to offer support if it can help...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 09:58 PM

NOT SURE John...

Yes, maybe a little humor is needed. That was exactly why I wrote that. Things have been getting a bit too serious here, myself included! I guess it's the frustration.

Re: the whities...I've never known for sure what that even meant...LOL!!

Are briefs Tighties?

I always thought it was 'Tidy' as in 'neat or clean'

Miguelamo :lol: :D :yes:

Nomad Amigos...Here\'s hoping you all have safe Baja travels, amazing sunrises, sunny days, comforting breezes, beautiful sunsets, tasty tacos, cold cervezas and frosty margaritas!!
bigjohn
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 10:05 PM

Now you've got me cracking up! Of course "briefs" are "tighties"!

Everyone now.......... a deep breath! and exhale!
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 10:08 PM

Just wondering...

I've been wondering since the beginning if maybe the ambulance was "in cahoots" with Sanatorio Del Carmen? Maybe they get a little something extra for bringing them 'Gringo Cash Cows'!!

Just saying!

Miguelamo :?: :?: :?:

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 10:13 PM

muchas gracias for responding Ferna...your input is very very critical here as you are Cristina's "voice" here and I value your input, observations and opinion...any chance of you physically getting down to see Ron & Cristina tomorrow? What do YOU make of the MRI inconsistancies?

I am glad to hear there is "someone" in charge and surely hope the mystery person is better informed than we are....we are only trying to do our best to assess the situation in order to help the best way we can...so if it is by letting go and having faith in who was left in charge...OK...but that wont change my strong desire that someone needs to be there with Ron.

I hope tomorrow is a better day with clearer information and of course continued recovery from their injuries.

this whole nightmare has inspired me to really get cracking to organize our group of friends here to make up an emergency plan complete with everyones info like family contact numbers, meds, allergies, blood types, health issues, insurance plans, notarized list of possible people to make decisions in the absence of family, person's personal wishes for treatment/burial...stuff like that so that in the event of a catastrophy, we could resond quicker and more efficiently...less confusion....alot to think about here and lots of good lessons learned...nighty night all and thanks again...keep those prayers and energy flowing.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 10:14 PM

I had the ambulance in place and am in no way related with either Del Carmen or the ambulance people

AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 10:14 PM

JOHN...

Thanks for clearing that up for me! Now I can scratch that off my I ALWAYS WONDERED list!! LOL!

Michael

Quote:
Originally posted by bigjohn
Now you've got me cracking up! Of course "briefs" are "tighties"!

Everyone now.......... a deep breath! and exhale!

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Just wondering...

I've been wondering since the beginning if maybe the ambulance was "in cahoots" with Sanatorio Del Carmen? Maybe they get a little something extra for bringing them 'Gringo Cash Cows'!!

Just saying!

Miguelamo :?: :?: :?:

I don't see anything weird, usually and depending on the severity of the injuries, ambulances do transport patients to certain hospitals. I wouldn't doubt there was a comission involved, but as long as the hospital has the capacity to deal with the injuries, then its ok. If the hospital wasnt equiped to deal with the injuries of a patient, and he was sent there only because of $$$ issues, then its a different matter. $5,000 dollars is a lot of money, but not unusual for a private hospital. A Mexican friend of mine just spent $30,000 pesos for two days in a private hospital and only for a severe infection. There are two things that do concern me and that i would ask questions about it:

1.-Why was his wife taken to a different place?

2.-If the doctor says an MRI was taken, i would want to see it.

AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 10:19 PM

Fernando...

Not what I meant!

YOU didn't drop them off at Del Carmen! A facility that from all reports was NOT well equipped to handle this type of serious injury!! Why did they take him there??

I don't think Celia is an Ambulance chaser either! She, like you, is ONLY wanting to help!

Michael

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
I had the ambulance in place and am in no way related with either Del Carmen or the ambulance people

fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 10:20 PM

A neighbor of mine was in a private hospital for 3 days here in Tijuana and it was 10,000 dollars.

Pages:  1  ..  24    26    28  ..  70

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.