BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: North Dakota vehicle registration ?????
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 07:19 PM

Ok, here's a question for ya'.
I've searched CA DMV online and can't find answers, and I'm sure reluctant to ask them.

Here's the situation:
I'm presently in California and am looking for a used pickup to bring back down to Baja.
We'll probably never bring it back north across the border.
The car I'm interested in is registered in California with $750. back due in registration fees.

We're gonna handle ownership in one of two ways:
a) put it in ANAPROMEX (or whatever its called) to be legal in Baja;
or
b) register it in SD so it'll be legal in Baja and the US

My questions are these:
1) Can I drive it in California before I do a or b above?
2) If I register it in SD will those unpaid CA tag fees bite me?
3) Are there other issues I'm overlooking?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena

Never say never.

Quote:

The car I'm interested in is registered in California with $750. back due in registration fees.

Just make sure you get the clear title.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure Anapromex is out of business.

Quote:

That's what you do.

Quote:

Not with expired tags.

Quote:

No.

Quote:

You owe me a cold beer.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 07:44 PM
It's South Dakota, not North Dakota..as stated here and in several other threads.

If you want all the pertinent information on registration in SD go here:

http://www.americas-mailbox.com/

You will literally save thousands on new cars, motorhomes, boats, trailers, etc.

Minute factoid: North Dakota does not require titles for boats or boat trailers....no registration except with ND Game & Fish. You must request a license plate for your boat trailer...called a utility plate.

It's nice living there...for soo many reasons.

[Edited on 9-20-2011 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 07:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:

You owe me a cold beer.

I think I see a phone call with South Dakota in my future... and a couple beers with Dennis when I head south. Give you a spin in my pickup!

Just so I know, is there another Baja car registration agency besides Anapromex-- I keep thinking Anaprox, but nnnoh.
We've got another car already there.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cj5orion
"heard thru the grapevine"
anybody in the US oooooor Baja can register your vehicle in
North Dakota ? (and its very inexpensive !)

Useful for keepin the US registration on a vehicle that spends MOST of its time in Baja !

I googled the North Dakota DMV but didnt find anything ?

Anybody done this ? Ya got a http for it ?

www.claycountysd.org
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 09:05 PM

Quote:
Just so I know, is there another Baja car registration agency besides Anapromex-- I keep thinking Anaprox, but nnnoh.
We've got another car already there.

You mean other than the state? I think I recall something similar to Anapromex with another name down south, but if it was working with the same principals, I'd bet they're shut down too.
It may have been the same agency only with another name.

Anapromex was meant to assist the disinfranchised with transportation without being charged the heavy import fees, but it was taken advantage of. People were registering their Mercedes and BMWs with Anapromex and it cost them around 500 Pesos .....one time. No yearly renewell required.
I think the head of the agency may still be in jail.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 10:09 PM
Anyone from Baja Sur know the answer to this, please?

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
...is there another Baja car registration agency besides Anapromex--

... I think I recall something similar to Anapromex with another name down south, but if it was working with the same principals, I'd bet they're shut down too.
It may have been the same agency only with another name.

Anapromex was meant to assist the disinfranchised with transportation without being charged the heavy import fees, but it was taken advantage of. People were registering their Mercedes and BMWs with Anapromex and it cost them around 500 Pesos .....one time. No yearly renewell required.
I think the head of the agency may still be in jail.

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 11:19 PM

americas-mailbox.com:
Their minimum service is $99/year. which includes a SD mailing address.

http://www.state.sd.us/drr2/motorvehicle/title/titling_motor...
The South Dakota DMV forms: there is no place that states they will register vehicles for non-SD state residents.

I'm confused. Must we have a SD address in order to register vehicles there?
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Hey...
Check out http://www.americas-mailbox.com

READ all the pages and follow their instructions to the letter. I recommend printing all the pages and reading at your leisure.
I have several vehicles registered there including a 45' RV. This saves me about $3,000 in registration fees in Kahlifornia.

Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 11:35 PM

Quote:
americas-mailbox.com:
Their minimum service is $99/year. which includes a SD mailing address.

http://www.state.sd.us/drr2/motorvehicle/title/titling_motor...
The South Dakota DMV forms: there is no place that states they will register vehicles for non-SD state residents.

I'm confused. Must we have a SD address in order to register vehicles there?
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Hey...
Check out http://www.americas-mailbox.com

No. Only if you want their driver's license.

Just call SD DMV and they will tell you what you need to get their plates. Check with your insurance company for rates if NOB. Probably won't change as the vehicle is being used in the same area as before, not in SD.

READ all the pages and follow their instructions to the letter. I recommend printing all the pages and reading at your leisure.
I have several vehicles registered there including a 45' RV. This saves me about $3,000 in registration fees in Kahlifornia.
DaleG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 07:25 AM

Quote:
Ok, here's a question for ya'.
I've searched CA DMV online and can't find answers, and I'm sure reluctant to ask them.

Here's the situation:
I'm presently in California and am looking for a used pickup to bring back down to Baja.

We're gonna handle ownership in one of two ways:
or

My questions are these:
DaleG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 07:35 AM

California is SO crazy about capturing revenue that the CHP even has a "rat" hotline so you can turn in your neighbor for having out of state plates.
I purchased an $2000 RV and started the process to register it in California. When I found out it would be over $300 PLUS SMOG, I said no thanks.
Mailed it off to SD and got my title and reg in 10 days ($65/yr) WITH my California address on it. No S***! So...fast fwd 6mos. I get a letter from Cal DMV wanting to know when im gonna finish the reg process!!!! I checked the box that said the vehicle is now registered in a diff state and I hope thats the last I hear of them.
However....as noted earlier, when I eventually bring it back into CA from Baja I run the risk of getting pulled over. Reg wont match drivers license, etc.
To which I will tell them Im just now bringing it back to California, it hasnt been on CA roads AND I am taking it to DMV in less than 10 days. I hope they buy it. Kalifornia....taxed to death.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 07:49 AM

Mulegena,
If you have a California drivers license and your license has a California address on it (indicating that you are a resident of California), and you register your vehicle in South Dakota, you are not allowed to drive that vehicle on California streets after you obtain the said South Dakota registration, whether or not you are covered by an insurance policy covering your driving on California streets or not.

You can, however, get a special permit from the California DMV that will allow you to drive on California streets for one day so long as you are driving out of the state by the end of that day.

It is possible to register a vehicle in California, take the vehicle and leave it in Baja permanently and renew said California registration annually and avoid having to get and pay for vehicle insurance covering you on California steets and to avoid the smog check. But, you have to show proof of insurance with a MEXICAN vehicle policy that specifically is written for a RESIDENT of Mexico and specifically indicates in writing on the policy itself that said policy is a Mexican 'Resident' policy.

Now, in your current situation, that stipulation has ramifications: you probably have to actually be a provable legal Mexican resident and all that entails, and, whether you can get such a policy without actually, legally being a Mexican resident remains to be seen.

[Edited on 9-20-2011 by MitchMan]
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 08:02 AM

Dale G,
When I got my truck last year (I am a licensed Calif driver and a resident of Calif) and bought it in Tacoma WA, I got SD registration for it and took it to Baja. I did some research on the matter and followed the research up with a couple of calls to the CHP offices in Orange County, CA and Los Angeles. The OC CHP said that if I were stopped while driving the SD registered truck on Calif streets (even if I were driving the truck out of the state), that the policeman would have my truck impounded. The LA CHP office said, "Just tell the policeman that you are on your way out of the state, and you will be fine". Go figure. Keep in mind that Calif law as reflected on the Calif DMV website specifically indicates that it is illegal for me to drive my truck on Calif streets, with the specifics of my situation as described above.

PS: You and I are taxed to death, not the Warren Buffets of America.

DaleG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Dale G,
When I got my truck last year (I am a licensed Calif driver and a resident of Calif) and bought it in Tacoma WA, I got SD registration for it and took it to Baja. I did some research on the matter and followed the research up with a couple of calls to the CHP offices in Orange County, CA and Los Angeles. The OC CHP said that if I were stopped while driving the SD registered truck on Calif streets (even if I were driving the truck out of the state), that the policeman would have my truck impounded. The LA CHP office said, "Just tell the policeman that you are on your way out of the state, and you will be fine". Go figure. Keep in mind that Calif law as reflected on the Calif DMV website specifically indicates that it is illegal for me to drive my truck on Calif streets, with the specifics of my situation as described above.

PS: You and I are taxed to death, not the Warren Buffets of America.

DaleG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 08:08 AM

MitchMan,
I hear ya. How screwed up does a state have to be to pull that hen house crap?
I used to love Kalifornia but I cant wait to retire and say good riddance forever and start living the Baja dream full time and forever.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 08:15 AM

I have my vehicles registered in SD.
Only venture into Ca. for utmost reasons.
However, if I do get stopped for any reason, I plan to show my Mexican drivers lic. and keep my Ca one pocketed. Just hope CHP will not call into the DMV office with my name.:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
DaleG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
I have my vehicles registered in SD.
Only venture into Ca. for utmost reasons.
However, if I do get stopped for any reason, I plan to show my Mexican drivers lic. and keep my Ca one pocketed. Just hope CHP will not call into the DMV office with my name.:biggrin::biggrin:
DaleG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 08:24 AM

Van,
That takes a six pack of huevos...my sombrero is off to you !! :lol:
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
I have a question; when making the call, do you state the truth, that your vehicles live in Baja, or do you just scooch around that fact?

P>*)))>{

Some links to South Dakota's vehicle policies for non-residents. http://www.state.sd.us/drr2/motorvehicle/nonresident.htm

SD reviewed and clarified their own vehicle registration policies regarding non-residents last year. Non-residents are allowed to register vehicles in SD. Their concern is that people will think they have to give fake SD addresses to register cars there which will get the state in trouble with the feds. Use a "real" US address when you register you cars in SD and they don't care where it is.
DaleG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 08:49 AM

Fact is, SD doesnt have many people to generate revenue via taxation. One of the remedies was to make it "Meca for RV'ers"
Their policy extends to all vehicles much to the chagrin of states like CA, AZ, OR etc. People are driving high dollar 'vettes etc in AZ, $250,000 Rvs in Ca and Or. Its Californias fault they are in a
budget nightmare...not mine!! :fire:

[Edited on 9-20-2011 by DaleG]
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.