BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: North Dakota vehicle registration ?????
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Just hope CHP will not call into the DMV office with my name.:biggrin::biggrin:

They stopped recognizing us by name long ago. Now we're no more than a number and a dollar sign.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco
Try these folk's for insurance.
Dougherty & Associates
3704 S Westport Ave
Sioux Falls, SD 57106
605-361-6318

I've gotten our car insurance from Dougherty since we moved to Mexico and switched to South Dakota for our US domicile. With their Good Sam and GM discounts, I haven't found anything cheaper for an annual US policy on our '08 Silverado.

But as we make fewer and fewer trips to the US, it's hard to make that payment for annual US insurance when the truck is sitting in Mexico (with full coverage "Mexico resident " Mexican insurance simultaneously). This year I might not renew the US insurance and will try the online companies and buy insurance on a monthly basis , stopping and starting it in preparation of a trip to the US.

Progressive was mentioned, and a friend just did this with Geico. Any details or drawbacks to consider when using this method, such as cancellation policies etc? Any favorite companies for online start-and-stop US insurance?

Dennis has been saying for years that it's easy to get short term US insurance in Ensenada and I never considered it because I pictured driving around towing a trailer trying to find parking in town. Maybe that's something I can do online and I should start listening to him.;)
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaleG
I see them selling it right in border line. Grab a burrito and a policy at the same time. :biggrin:

I'm sure that what they sell at the border is for MEXICAN PLATED CARS ONLY:?:

Bob Durrell
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 09:37 AM

"2) If I register it in SD will those unpaid CA tag fees bite me?"

Bob Durrell
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce

But as we make fewer and fewer trips to the US, it's hard to make that payment for annual US insurance when the truck is sitting in Mexico (with full coverage "Mexico resident " Mexican insurance simultaneously). This year I might not renew the US insurance and will try the online companies and buy insurance on a monthly basis , stopping and starting it in preparation of a trip to the US.

Progressive was mentioned, and a friend just did this with Geico. Any details or drawbacks to consider when using this method, such as cancellation policies etc? Any favorite companies for online start-and-stop US insurance?

When car is in MX it is insured by MX insurance. You only need US insurance when it's there and this limits the US insurance companies liability to those times. Since my vehicles are only up there less than 5,000 miles/year. My LOW ANNUAL PREMIUM is based on this mileage.
PS: GIECO automatically sends a SD insurance card every year when car is registered there, no mater where your mailing address is.

[Edited on 9-20-2011 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 09:52 AM

I always make a joke when in San Felipe. Saying South Dakota must be unpopulated, everybody is here.:lol:;D
DaleG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 10:04 AM

Maybe all of South Dakota's population is in prison making license plates. :o
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 10:13 AM

Ah, so if I buy a pickup in California I DO have to transfer the California Pink Slip into my name BEFORE I can transfer the registration and title to South Dakota? Therefore, any unpaid California fees from the previous owner would be squarely mine to clear with California; "those unpaid CA tag fees..." WOULD "bite me...".
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
"2) If I register it in SD will those unpaid CA tag fees bite me?"

Thanks to Olddulce for clarifying about not needing a fake SD address (and the added expense of acquiring one).

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge
I always make a joke when in San Felipe. Saying South Dakota must be unpopulated, everybody is here.:lol:;D

There's a million of 'em out here as well, Jorge, and I'm one of 'em.

Where is South Dakota, anyway?? :lol:
DaleG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 10:19 AM

Next summer Im going to ride to Sturgis SD and while I'm there get a SD drivers license. Those are cheap too. Only prob is you must return to SD every 5 years I think to re-new.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge

The 2010 population of Clay County SD (where everyone gets their plates) was 13,864. In 2010 the Clay County alpha-numeric plates started with a double digit followed by the letter "G" in the third position, then followed by a variable letter and another double digit. This resulted in 2,600,000 combinations and they ran out of these plates in early 2011 had had to change the "G" to an "H" and start all over again. I assume that everyone in Clay County has 18.75 cars.:tumble::tumble::tumble:

Bob Durrell
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert

You only need US insurance when it's there and this limits the US insurance companies liability to those times. Since my vehicles are only up there less than 5,000 miles/year. My LOW ANNUAL PREMIUM is based on this mileage.
PS: GIECO automatically sends a SD insurance card every year when car is registered there, no mater where your mailing address is.

I'll look at the mileage parameters closer this year but at renewal time each year I run quotes from Geico and Progressive for annual policies with the same coverage as my Dougherty policy and I haven't found anything cheaper. We drive less than a 2000 US miles per year now and the start-and-stop method is making more sense as long as there aren't any big drawbacks.

I've never looked at the cost of buying insurance by the month from the online companies and will have to compare our current approx $500 annual fee to multiple monthly policies depending on how many trips NOB we're anticipating.

And some of us are "from" Sioux Falls, Minnehaha county and have actually visited the fine city- once.

[Edited on 9-20-2011 by oladulce]
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Just south of North Dakota.:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 10:52 AM

Just had a brainstorm. Looked at my SD registration and noticed it had my Ca. address on it.
So, just called SD office and requested the address be changed to my current Loreto address. And, lo and behold, no problem.
There's no way to get stopped in Ca. and the CHP not asking for your registration. So, another obstacle removed.:biggrin::biggrin:

Air Evacuation go to
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Just south of North Dakota.:biggrin::biggrin:

It's where you listen to Paul Harvey every day at noon.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
DaleG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Just had a brainstorm. Looked at my SD registration and noticed it had my Ca. address on it.
So, just called SD office and requested the address be changed to my current Loreto address. And, lo and behold, no problem.
There's no way to get stopped in Ca. and the CHP not asking for your registration. So, another obstacle removed.:biggrin::biggrin:

Will you have to send in the old reg or will they just mail you a "modified" one? How much for the change?
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2011 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaleG
Quote:

Will you have to send in the old reg or will they just mail you a "modified" one? How much for the change?

Both my vehicles are due next month. No cost to us.
Suggest to wait for the registration to come due and then make the change. If that takes too long, call them.

Air Evacuation go to
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2011 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
...is there another Baja car registration agency besides Anapromex--

... I think I recall something similar to Anapromex with another name down south, but if it was working with the same principals, I'd bet they're shut down too.
It may have been the same agency only with another name.

Anapromex was meant to assist the disinfranchised with transportation without being charged the heavy import fees, but it was taken advantage of. People were registering their Mercedes and BMWs with Anapromex and it cost them around 500 Pesos .....one time. No yearly renewell required.
I think the head of the agency may still be in jail.

Anapromex is still alive and well in Santa Rosalia where you would register. My preference would be ONAPAFFA which is on the Malecon in Santa Rosalia right next to the little Chinese Restaurant and below the public bathrooms. As long as you have a current title and all the other information you can register your car there and it serves the purpose of allowing you to drive while you are working on your importation.

[Edited on 9-21-2011 by Pescador]

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.