Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Punta Concepcion
dondiegobajahaha

[*] posted on 9-22-2011 at 06:48 AM
Punta Concepcion

Has anyone driven the road out to Punta Concepcion, and if so, is it okay? Camping at the end still safe?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-22-2011 at 06:55 AM

I was there last May...it was good to go then, but that info is way to old to trust today. It is a known area for drug trafficing...just saying..

Another time later in May, I was pulling a Mirrolure along the shore near the Point and saw a jogger with his dog on the old mine trail..which goes up the ridge. Seemed safe enough that day.

But Baja is not the same Ol Baja anymore...not by a longshot.

edit and just noticed...Welcome to BajaNomads, newbie.

[Edited on 9-22-2011 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
BajaDove
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2011 at 07:08 AM

As any where If there is another camper or if you're with another camper it's the safest way to judge. Last time we were there there was one family staying. A Mexican couple came in made friends and asked if we were staying. our 'yes' brought a surprising response, "I guess it will be safe then."

If its not where it is, its where it isn\'t.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-22-2011 at 10:58 AM

Perhaps of interest... The Other Side of Bahia Concepcion, the WWII Manganese mine, etc.: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=51392

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-22-2011 at 12:23 PM

lots and lots of kayaking groups use that area but then again they don't have to drive there...also lots and lots and lots of rattlers our there.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-22-2011 at 01:07 PM

its safe and the road is as good as any unimproved rock and dirt

lots of trucks drove it this summer

there are lots of private parcels over there
so be respectful

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
dondiegobajahaha

[*] posted on 9-22-2011 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I was there last May...it was good to go then, but that info is way to old to trust today. It is a known area for drug trafficing...just saying..

Another time later in May, I was pulling a Mirrolure along the shore near the Point and saw a jogger with his dog on the old mine trail..which goes up the ridge. Seemed safe enough that day.

But Baja is not the same Ol Baja anymore...not by a longshot.

edit and just noticed...Welcome to BajaNomads, newbie.

[Edited on 9-22-2011 by Pompano]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2011 at 07:52 PM

A noob of few words.
It's all good. Welcome.
dondiegobajahaha

[*] posted on 9-22-2011 at 07:53 PM

I was there last 4 years ago October and never even thought about drug trafficking. Have you heard -- have there been any incidences -- like coming onto the beach (I assume they would be in pangos. I'm going with my sons and want it to be a trouble-free fun trip without fear. We all have such fond memories of the old Baja. If it is not safe, well then ... off to Todos Santos or Scorpion Bay or? Would appreciate your thoughts.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2011 at 06:06 AM

geeezzz

theres is NO ONE over there
well...maybe the few fishermen camps

the road is ROUGH but passable

we live straight across
once and a while you'll see a truck with lights

there is a ranch over there so be respectful
the inspector goes once a month on a pange from here

it would be a GREAT adventure
just bring back up stuff
no AAA on THAT road

our website is:
dondiegobajahaha

[*] posted on 9-23-2011 at 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
geeezzz

theres is NO ONE over there
well...maybe the few fishermen camps

the road is ROUGH but passable

we live straight across
once and a while you'll see a truck with lights

there is a ranch over there so be respectful
the inspector goes once a month on a pange from here

it would be a GREAT adventure
just bring back up stuff
no AAA on THAT road
dondiegobajahaha

[*] posted on 9-23-2011 at 06:18 AM

Thank you for your response. This is about as reliable as it gets unless I hear from someone who has recently camped on the point. I've been camping there since 1993, but not in the last 4 years. My concern is the drug violence. If you hear anything else, let me know. Much appreciated!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2011 at 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dondiegobajahaha
I was there last 4 years ago October and never even thought about drug trafficking. Have you heard -- have there been any incidences -- like coming onto the beach (I assume they would be in pangos. I'm going with my sons and want it to be a trouble-free fun trip without fear. We all have such fond memories of the old Baja. If it is not safe, well then ... off to Todos Santos or Scorpion Bay or? Would appreciate your thoughts.

Osprey Rock..near the old mine area on Pt. Conception...good shoreline fishing nearby. Krocs and spoons do the job.

Don Diego,

Make voyages, attempt them, there is little else. I would take the chance and go. You already know that you would rather be out there savoring life, rather than staying safe/bored in some lack-luster harbor staring mindlessly at CNN.

As far as drug trafficing, I am blunt and truthful whenever asked this question...yes, it is happening. Todos Santos or Scorpion Bay areas are not so much different, just not as busy.

BUT... I would be more worried about rabid donkeys or being raped by fishcamp women than running into trouble with the druggers.

The reality is... those burros are not concerned with bothering campers along thier smuggling routes and they usually stay far offshore. Why would they bring that unnecessary attention to themselves?

Fish camp south of Pt. Conception with connecting road to main highway. Kinda remote, though...but good cabrilla for dinners.

A nice smelly fish camp In Bahia Domingo just inside BOC. Easy to drive to along the peninsula shoreline trail...and the beach across from this camp is super-fine. Your boy will enjoy the great beachcombing here..especially after a good northerly. Good pintos and such along the rocky areas into the bay.

Plus, you are safer in and near populated areas like Mulege and The Bay of Conception than most other ideal/suitable camping spots along that part of the SOC. Lots of other fish camps - see pic above, campers and daily fishing and cruising boat activity throughout Conception Bay...safety in numbers.

Drugs have been moving along that route since I can remember..and my memory is good right back to 1971. Fact: In all that time no campers (that I am aware of) were ever seriously molested by druggers.

Additional Fact: On a lighter side, Just a few years ago...2002 or 03, I think...we had a wildly hilarious 2-day chase of panga druggers by marines, narcs, 1 helicopter, a high-turbine Mustang spotter zooming around overhead, sat with one of the smugglers sitting at a beach bar casually having a cold beer while a truckload of marines was parked out front... 2 boatloads of marines using our home as a latrine thanks to my too-charming wife (we ran out of toilet paper, but not cookies and lemonade)

(A few years ago, I did take automatic-weapon-fire across my bow while dorado-trolling far. far out to sea...but you don't want to know about that..)

And then there was that big drug bust at the river ramp in Mulege...or shouldn't I mention that....??.

So...should you go camping on the peninsula? YES....make a good camping trip with your son. Of course, you will use your own good sense about where and how to make that camp. Based on what you learn, You are the expert on making up your mind.

Notes for your peace of mind:

...leave some information with a responsible authority/resident/local about your plans, time frame, etc.

...take vhf marine radio with you. Channels 16 and 22 will keep you in contact with many houses and/or fishermen

...the peninsula shoreliine road is good ...watch for private roads, gates, respect them.

...lots of shore fish camps along the way for company...

...you may find another camper/s to buddy up with before or during your trip...

.....camping at the old mine just south of Pt. Conception is always cool, with a good chance of catching fish dinners from the rocky shorelines...a fairly good connecting trail from main shoreline BOC road/trail.

...lots of traffic along that shore..in and out of the Bay:

...big, newer pangas with lots of gas cans/barrels are to avoided.

...fishermen like me make daily runs up and down that shoreline from Pt. Conception to Pta. Teresa 25 miles to the south. Distress signals would be noticed.

....NOLS (Natl Outdoor Leadership School) is a many year neighbor of mine and it runs monthly kayaking trips (15-25 kayaks) regulary along that shore ..starting at Coyote Bay next to me , rounding the Point out of the Bay and biovac at food and water caches staggered along the shore all the way south.

...if you want to stop my mi casa to talk or visit, I am easy to find at Km 108 off the main highway..or just hail Pompano on 16 or 22.

Good Camping!

[Edited on 9-23-2011 by Pompano]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2011 at 08:05 AM

VERY NICE ROGER!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dondiegobajahaha

[*] posted on 9-23-2011 at 11:28 AM

Wow! Thank you! The pics were great. I've been to all those places. Used to walk to the fish camp to buy dinner. Just a few bucks for bass and once we got a big King Mackerel that had just been caught and cooked it over an open fire. I used to like to get up before the sun and hike to the other side where the old mining operation is and watch the sunrise over the Sea of Cortez. I'm ready! Thanks again for all your advice and encouragement to make the trip. Woo Hoo! I'll be sure to say hello when we are down your way.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2011 at 03:56 PM

Roger, can you post your photos of the petroglyphs over there? The ones that Erle Stanley Gardner also showed in his 1967 book 'Off The Beaten Track in Baja' where that boulder is lodged in the dry waterfall in that little canyon.

Roger wrote this in 2005:

Pompano

posted on 2-7-2005 at 06:22 PM

Punta Conception to the old mine and beyond...

I have traveled those roads and trails many times over a span of 30 years. Of course it's a trail so weather damage is constant and you travel at risk.

There are some very nice middens here and there and up the 'Painted Canyon'...a few petroglyphs about 25 feet above today's streambed level. Great rock formations carved by centuries of erosion and a favorite winter refuge for early Baja nomads, the Kochmi. A place to camp and relax. Look for Kochmi arrowhead chips and points. Lots of wildlife around...saw a very nice desert muley buck last year...quail and dove everywhere. From huge cardon to barrel cactus the desert flora is very green this year.

Years ago we were put ashore on the outside beach by boat and climbed the highest mountain, (we nicknamed it Mt. Fargo) camped there overnight and were picked up on the bayside shore. A great trip. Quite a view from 'Mt. Fargo'. Last year some friends from our area did the same trip.

You can take numerous canyon roads to places like Baja Patti's Rancho Margarita (where we partied for many years long ago), the old mine (closed after WWII), see a few old palapa shacks like Corona Dave's, who did call himself Farside after the cartoon...Hernando's Hideaway...Lorenzo's Lair..and other Baja characters who yearned for solitude and seclusion. They all have interesting histories, but I won't post information about some because those were after anonyminity and shunned attention.

One odd story I can tell is the time many years ago when one afternoon I heard a rather strained and cracking voice coming over the VHF radios we all used for our communications. There was no hailing or call sign, just this ghostly voice coming over the airways...."Can anybody.. tell me what time it is...and maybe.. the day and month??" I recognized the voice...it was our famous 'Corona Dave', aptly named for the bi-monthly beer trips he made in his van to Mulege. Case upon case of Corona he would load..and disappear to the penisula..sometimes with his gal, Yvonne...most times solo. He died on his loney penisula a few years ago.

On the main trail bordering the coastline you will pass by quite a few active fishcamps. The camps are frequently occupied with fishermen and their families, so you are not exactly alone on the penisula. It is worth the effort to explore this remote penisula. It has been used by druggers in the past, however, and is still infrequently patrolled by the army and marines..so be prepared to show id, etc.

You can also take the old trail to San Sebastian and find a nice little cove. A few houses built there today, but the photo shows the cove many years ago when we made that climb.

[Edited on 9-23-2011 by David K]

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2011 at 04:13 PM

David, I'll have to dig around in my photo morgue for a bit to find them....I guess the photos don't survive Nomads too long? I recall some scuttlebutt a while back about all the old photos subject to deletion. Probably just as well...there was a lot of incriminating evidence in some of my old photos. :rolleyes:

But right now...it's time for a Grey Goose Dirty Martini. It's been a long day excavating, building forms, pouring concrete and finishing the same. The new Duk Shak garage should turn grrrrreeat!

I'll try to find those rock painting pic, I promise. :saint:

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2011 at 04:19 PM
Aha!

Found one! .....hic!

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2011 at 04:21 PM

geeezzz

again there is NO drug trafficing in the area you are planning to go

our website is:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2011 at 04:22 PM

I THINK WE'RE GETTING CLOSER, DAVID.....

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.