Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Old Airplane and More on Isla Guadalupe
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-29-2011 at 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
DT, I don't know the answer to your question. What I do know, is that the San Diego boats that go there (Long Range Sportfishing boats), do not have permission to put people ashore. The Shogun out of San Diego (http://www.shogunsportfishing.com/) does lots of expeditions, that are not for fishing, like to Clipperton and even the Revillagigedos, though I'm not sure if they still do those, and go often to Guadalupe, or used to. They are the first people I would call. Even if they can't help you directly, in terms of taking you, they may very well know who to ask. There is a small Navy base on the island and a settlement as well, and I think they will put you up. Arranging it and getting there is another question. Due to the remoteness of the location, I would expect that getting there will cost a pretty penny except on a LR boat, but you couldn't get off one of those.

Thanks for the info Roberto. I was thinking about a private boat trip there (sail boat, trawler etc.) and staying a few weeks. Is there protected anchorage etc. I guess I should have had this on my short list before I sold the plane..

I'll do some more research....thanks again....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-29-2011 at 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
DT, I don't know the answer to your question. What I do know, is that the San Diego boats that go there (Long Range Sportfishing boats), do not have permission to put people ashore. The Shogun out of San Diego (http://www.shogunsportfishing.com/) does lots of expeditions, that are not for fishing, like to Clipperton and even the Revillagigedos, though I'm not sure if they still do those, and go often to Guadalupe, or used to. They are the first people I would call. Even if they can't help you directly, in terms of taking you, they may very well know who to ask. There is a small Navy base on the island and a settlement as well, and I think they will put you up. Arranging it and getting there is another question. Due to the remoteness of the location, I would expect that getting there will cost a pretty penny except on a LR boat, but you couldn't get off one of those.

Thanks for the info Roberto. I was thinking about a private boat trip there (sail boat, trawler etc.) and staying a few weeks. Is there protected anchorage etc. I guess I should have had this on my short list before I sold the plane..

I'll do some more research....thanks again....dt

if leaving from US port, you can probably land on island after clearing customs in ensenada. there are probably boats in ensenada that could give you rides to island. i imagine the people on island all come/go from ensenada. but i don't know details.

the island is ecologically similar to the navy and public islands north of the border. the islands all differ primarily in amount of invasive plants and animals.

it is a shame that several of the great offshore islands north of the border are off limits. and likely to stay off limits because the navy littered the islands thru practice bombing
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 9-29-2011 at 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
it is a shame that several of the great offshore islands north of the border are off limits. and likely to stay off limits because the navy littered the islands thru practice bombing

I agree with the thought mtgoat666 but I think that only happens at San Nicolas.

carpe diem!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2011 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
So, if someone wanted to take a trip to the island and do some fishing, exploring, camping or finding accommodations (lodging, food etc.) would it be possible? Do you need special permission to go there? How do you get it and from whom?.....dt

Yes, you do need permission from the Reserve to visit----my friend says that probably the best place to start is here.

Reserva de la Biosfera Isla Guadalupe

Good Luck

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-29-2011 at 03:59 PM

DT et al,

I just Googled Isla Guadelupe....tons of info.

http://www.greatwhiteadventures.com/guadalupe_details.html

David, can you see yourself in a cage?

BTW, the leg was doing well until twisting it while moving stuff out of my Dad's house....x-ray says no damage but a limp set-back for a while..

Silt or sharks????

[Edited on 9-29-2011 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-29-2011 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

thot it looked like an old A26 or B25.

lockheed sounds about right but that narrow nose??

Don't think it's an A-26 or B-25 due to the passenger windows, door and c-ckpit glass, also lack of gun turrets or gun windows.

Maybe a Beech 18????

Update:....further research indicates Vandy is probably correct.

http://tinyurl.com/64zuzde

c-ckpit glass placement and tail assembly look like a match

[Edited on 9-29-2011 by bajaguy]

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2011 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:

Don't think it's an A-26 or B-25 due to the passenger windows, door and c-ckpit glass, also lack of gun turrets or gun windows.

Maybe a Beech 18????

vandy is correct, it is a Lockheed Lodestar.....dt

[Edited on 9-30-2011 by dtbushpilot]

baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 9-29-2011 at 06:56 PM

You could make a trip down on the the first Red Rooster 50 years ago:lol:and a side trip to the island to check out the Elephant seals if you were so inclined,My Buds and I saved for one year to make that trip.

The boat was a converted Coast Guard boat,and Baitcast all hooked up,caught some big fish on that trip.

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2011 at 03:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:

The airplane started it's life as a Lockheed Lodestar, but this one is a Howard Lodestar. Howard modified the nosecone and tail fairings and installed bigger engines. Options were R1820s to R2800's and also a nose wheel version was available, although the one in the picture is a tail dragger. In other words it was a souped up Lockheed Lodestar. This one would probably be of interest to an aircraft restorer, but wouldn't be worth the red tape and mordida involved.

Maybe a Beech 18????

vandy is correct, it is a Lockheed Lodestar.....dt

[Edited on 9-30-2011 by dtbushpilot]
SharkDiver

[*] posted on 10-5-2011 at 06:05 PM
Isla Guadalupe 1845 History - Introduction

For a small island off the coast of Mexico it has a rich story with ownership documents going back to the early 1800's, complete with title documents, letters, and even "stock certificates".

My journey began after a chance meeting with staff from an NGO in Mexico last year. We were in the process of helping put together a multi part natural history television series with Wildcoast about the island for Televisa.

That series went on to win a number of awards in Mexico last year.

There I met one of the staff members who, as it turns out, had family who actually lived on the island in the late 1800's.

She provided me with a "love letter" and hand drawn images from the period featuring the large building commonly called "the prison" at Point Norte.

Thus began my journey into the history of the island.

At U.C Berkley I uncovered original documents that showed by 1845 Isla Guadalupe was a privately held island owned by the Western Livestock Company out of Boston Massachusetts. To put this into perspective, by 1845 in the USA, many states had yet to join the union. Alaska was not purchased from Russia until 1867.

Suffice to say the discovery of $50.00 shares in stock certificates of "The Guadalupe Island Company" were nothing short of amazing as were small details like wages for staff, $35 in gold each year.

Isla Guadalupe was ceded from the Mexican Government to a Jose Castro and Florencio Ferrano,both Mexican citizens, on January 8th, 1839. They received not just Guadalupe island but all the smaller islands in the region as well. By 1845 Jose Castro had sold 50% of his stake in the islands for the princely sum of $500 in gold.

By 1870 the islands were finally sold to US interests and the formation of The Western Livestock Company in the State of Main lead almost immediately to The Guadalupe Island Company and the selling of stock certificates seeking a total capital of $500,000, the stocks were sold in San Francisco until 1889.

Isla Guadalupe did not return from private ownership to Mexico until almost the beginning of the 1900's and it was a historically interesting repatriation done with a letter from the then Governor of Baja, all but demanding the island back. The owners at that time, who had paid close to $2000 for the title to these islands decided not to fight. Perhaps due to the fact this was a difficult island to become commercially successful with or perhaps by that time they had exhausted the seal fishery and timber operations on the island.

In all the documents I uncovered I could find no historical mention of white sharks at this island.

Not all that surprising as The Guadalupe Island Companies mandate for the period was commercial sealing, timber, and cattle ranching.

Cheers,
Patric Douglas CEO
www.sharkdiver.com
www.sharkdivers.com
www.sharkdivers.blogspot.com
www.guadalupefund.org
www.sharkfreemarinas.com
jakecard
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2011 at 06:15 PM

That is a heck of a first post. Thanks!

You mean U.S. corporate greed depleted Isla Guadalupe?

How out of character.

Jake
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2011 at 06:46 PM

Thanks for the informative post and welcome to Nomads SharkDiver. Tell us a little about you.....if you dare:yes::yes:.....dt

SharkDiver

[*] posted on 10-5-2011 at 07:38 PM

Hi dtbushpilot,

Thanks for the welcome. I am the CEO of Shark Diver www.sharkdiver.com and a big fan of Isla Guadalupe, the place gets into your skin. I am familiar with that plane having seen it a few times in person back in the day when you could still land on the island and a trip down to the fish camp on the south end was a good bottle of scotch and $50.00.

We run shark charters to the island in season and support the CICIMAR tagging and tracking effort with the whites:

http://www.sharkdiver.com/blog/45-industry-blog/4633

In my spare time I am looking for info about the island and matching old sealing records with shark population estimates. That's in between film and television productions and life in general.

Great thread you have going here I hope my contribution was enlightening.

Cheers,

Patric Douglas
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.