Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Construction Advice
mitsu

[*] posted on 10-14-2011 at 12:19 PM
Construction Advice

Need some advice
Looking to build a home just North of San Felipe. Talking to a few builders and they are offering a variety of building materials available for construction. Most are recommending Ladrillo, Cement Block with 1" of foam or Foam (Tri-D Panel, Rastra or Ice Block). I will not be living in the house during the summer months so don't know if I want to spend the extra for the Tri-D Panel, Rastra or Ice Block. Any thoughts??
Mitsu
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2011 at 12:31 PM

Welcome to BajaNomad, mitsu.

There a lot of SF folks here and they should be giving you some good advice in a while.
Good luck with your project.
greengoes
Select Nomad

Mood: Today I slay the Red Dot.

[*] posted on 10-14-2011 at 12:36 PM

May I suggest you rent McFez's place for a year, before making a large investment, to be sure it is for you.

Interested in anime? Reminds me of another new member here, currently up in Rosarito, you may have some things in common.
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 10-14-2011 at 12:47 PM

My brother in law just finished constructing a home using the cement/styrofoam. Sound deadening frm outside#1. Warmer in the winter.#2 And cooler in the summer #3. Sounds like good investment even if you won't be down there in the summer.
What development is "north of S.F."??
Leased land or do you have a title to it?
Always remember. Never spend more than you can walk away from without getting hurt!

[Edited on 10-14-2011 by Phil S]
mitsu

[*] posted on 10-14-2011 at 01:07 PM

Phil,
Thanks for your comments. The development is Playa De Oro and we have title to the land.
jakecard
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2011 at 01:51 PM

How much more will it cost to build with foam block than cement block?

Jake
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-14-2011 at 01:57 PM
Required Reading

Mitsu............required reading BEFORE you build in Baja:

http://tinyurl.com/43hwh4a

Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 10-15-2011 at 05:39 AM

YES. Absolutely everyone should read this book. Even if your only considering building. It's a very enjoyable read. High on my list of 'approved Baja books"
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2011 at 07:22 PM
Antiquated

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

This book has little if anything in common with today's reality.

Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2011 at 07:44 PM

It's cold in the winter (at night) in San Felipe and it can be expensive to heat (with electric), so do go for extra insulation. 1" foam doesn't sound like much at all (but is probably 1" more than many builders will use!). Get more.

Cement block and foam is generally the cheapest (make sure they build to earthquake-proof standards with plenty of rebar), but the other "systems" might make your house more re-sellable in a development where many other houses use them, such as in Playa del Oro. You don't want to be too cheap or basic a house in an expensive location.

It'll take 2 to 3 times as long to build as the builders state, and it'll either cost more or some things will have to be dropped off the list to make the budget. If you're not present during construction (and probably even if you are) short-cuts will be taken by the builders and if there's any decisions to be made by them (don't let them!), the easy/cheap option will be taken regardless of whether the end result looks good or even works. This isn't unique to San Felipe of course, applies to builders anywhere.

It's stressful building in San Felipe. Next time, I'm buying a prefab or kit home.

Rob

[Edited on 2011-10-16 by Riom]

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-15-2011 at 08:36 PM
Actually

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

This book has little if anything in common with today's reality.

It's not....it is how things work here if you are not at the construction site overseeing things

BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2011 at 05:53 AM

Here's another less expensive alternative. We filled the cells of the blocks (8") with foam beads. Although it will not provide the insulation value of a solid sheet of 1" foam, according to our neighbor who used it in his house, it does make a noticable difference, both in keeping the house cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

We haven't completed our house yet, so I can't tell you from personal experience if the foam beads actually make a difference. Like you, I'm more worried about keeping the house warm in the winter. Once we get the windows and doors in, maybe two or three months, I'll have a better idea if it was worth the effort.

These are the bags they come in:

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-16-2011 at 06:04 AM

to keep the house warm...the answer...WINDOWS

warm in the winter... HOT in the summer

my units with only doors are way cooler in the summer

now my 2 cents

if i didnt live here full time i wouldnt build

when you leave a place vacant you are asking for a breakin
even if you have security

if i built again
i'd build SMALL and bring in a prefab like
riom says...

even the septic tank should be a plastic pre-fab unit
not made of plastic water tanks and NOT out of cement
dig a hole ...set it in...hook up the leech lines..and done

these prefabs are really nice these days and easy to import and install
the electrical is correct and plumbing will work
they are also earthquake safer
and san felipe has had some recently

take a look at pre-fabs
you be surprised

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
mitsu

[*] posted on 10-16-2011 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigWooo
Here's another less expensive alternative. We filled the cells of the blocks (8") with foam beads. Although it will not provide the insulation value of a solid sheet of 1" foam, according to our neighbor who used it in his house, it does make a noticable difference, both in keeping the house cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

We haven't completed our house yet, so I can't tell you from personal experience if the foam beads actually make a difference. Like you, I'm more worried about keeping the house warm in the winter. Once we get the windows and doors in, maybe two or three months, I'll have a better idea if it was worth the effort.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Wooo'
Thanks for the pictures and information.
What part of Baja are you building in? Any advice on the construction would be helpful. We are planning to select our builder next month but continue to weigh the pro's and con's on the structure of the house,
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-16-2011 at 09:46 AM

filling CMU / cinder blocks cells with zonolite, EPS beads or any other medium will not help much because that will not create a "thermal break" - in other words the migration of the thermal mass effect will go thru the connected system of the blocks forms.

You need to create a continual thermal break which will allow heat to build but not penetrate into the other side, and the mass will push back to the outside as the day reverses.

the best system for this was "omni-block" due to the design of the masonry units and foam inserts effecting when assembled this thermal break. and no loss of structural strength.

beyond that i'd go adobe and get 2' thick solid walls.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2011 at 10:01 AM

is there something you could spray on mike

like that fiberglass stucco stuff they used to use

our website is:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2011 at 10:56 AM

no, not really - it is not thick enough.

for older block homes the preferred system is called "outsulation" and involves a lay up of min 2" and better 3-4" EPS foam panels with mas adhesive.

then you can mortar wash, brown coat and or roll EFIS coating with or without integral color.
But you still have to deal with the roof system where the majority of heat gain/loss occurs.

many of the better products are not dist in mexico so importation becomes a cost impact.

for options contact the industry association for ICF or insulated concrete forms. they have new stuff all the time.

build a "cave" effect and you'll always be able to create comfort seasonally with minimal cost and maintenance.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2011 at 11:15 AM

the "foam" houses here are peeling

the sun is brutal and the paint is just peeling off the newer foam products

the basic block is lasting the longest

we were talking about making a plastic palapa/casita....
the plastic is really holding up in this sunlight

my patio i made out of plastic fence rails looks outstanding

imagine...living in a plastic house
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
no fire place for sure

our website is:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2011 at 03:34 PM

well - the right paint with strong PVA additive applied to a properly cured [read ph level checked and with a moisture meter] cementious stucco multi coat should stand up to baja sun. Peeling is a phenomenum i am not familiar with.
plastic sounds good to me. i have seen plenty of it on womens' chests..... hahaha.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-17-2011 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mitsu
Need some advice
Looking to build a home just North of San Felipe. Talking to a few builders and they are offering a variety of building materials available for construction. Most are recommending Ladrillo, Cement Block with 1" of foam or Foam (Tri-D Panel, Rastra or Ice Block). I will not be living in the house during the summer months so don't know if I want to spend the extra for the Tri-D Panel, Rastra or Ice Block. Any thoughts??
Mitsu

building new would probably be a PITA. lots of people trying to sell their vacation homes in mexico, so why not by a home already built?

how are you going to manage/inspect construction when you are living 1,000 miles away?????????? perhaps you should hire a local architect...
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.