BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Does anyone know the story of "La Llorona"??
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 10-14-2011 at 11:08 PM
Does anyone know the story of "La Llorona"??

Now that the Halloween season is here, I keep hearing about this legend. My Wife briefly discussed it with me, but I was wondering if any Nomads know more about this subject?

Thanks,

-Ken

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2011 at 11:24 PM

Its a clasic scary tale here in Mexico. A woman who drowns her children, then kills herself and her soul is cursed to wander for eternity looking for her children. In almost all parts of Mexico, theres reported sightings of her crying at night looking for her children. It is said if you run into la llorona, she will take you as one of her children.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2011 at 11:25 PM

[Edited on 10-15-2011 by JESSE]

Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 10-15-2011 at 05:59 AM

Is that the 'early day' Otay Mesa crossing?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-15-2011 at 06:31 AM

Way COOL!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2011 at 06:45 AM

I recorded live la llorona by the band blame sally

spooky
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2011 at 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Its a clasic scary tale here in Mexico. A woman who drowns her children, then kills herself and her soul is cursed to wander for eternity looking for her children. In almost all parts of Mexico, theres reported sightings of her crying at night looking for her children. It is said if you run into la llorona, she will take you as one of her children.

Pleasant story for the kids. Develop their Paranoia at an early age.
Or....is this the Mexican way of telling their children to not talk to strangers?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-15-2011 at 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE

Pleasant story for the kids. Develop their Paranoia at an early age.
Or....is this the Mexican way of telling their children to not talk to strangers?

Or have mom help you take a bath :lol:

windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2011 at 08:59 AM
Jesse Cook Rendition

Thank you so much for this thread. Sent chills down my spine. I have wondered about the source of the sorrow of this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLKdxnyrZ5c&feature=fvwre...

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
KASHEYDOG
Senior Nomad

Mood: SO MANY TACOS, SO LITTLE TIME... Gotta Go, See ya there....:bounce:

[*] posted on 10-15-2011 at 09:13 AM

I've always liked this version by Jesse Cook.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLKdxnyrZ5c

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Llorona

English lyrics :

English translation
-------------------
They all call me black, Llorona,
black, but they think I still care.
They all call me black, Llorona,
black, but they think I still care.
But I am like the green chili, Llorona,
yes, sharp is the flavor I wear.
But I am like the green chili, Llorona,
yes, sharp is the flavor I wear.

My tears they were streaming, Llorona,
from yesterday up till today.
from yesterday up till today.
Yesterday, it all looked wonderfull, Llorona,
now I've turned into a shadow this way.
Yesterday, it all looked wonderfull, Llorona,
now I've turned into a shadow this way.

They say I don't feel the pain, Llorona,
because they don't see me cry.
They say I don't feel the pain, Llorona,
because they don't see me cry.
But even the dead do not cry, Llorona,
though their sorrow is greater than mine.
But even the dead do not cry, Llorona,
though their sorrow is greater than mine.

tear drops in heavenly blue.
tear drops in heavenly blue.
And, though it will cost me my life, Llorona,
I will not forsake my promise to you.
And, though it will cost me my life, Llorona,
I will not forsake my promise to you.

Don\'t mess with the old dog...... Age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery! Brilliance only comes with age and experience..... :smug: .... :P .... :smug:
Are you getting the most out of life OR is life getting the most out of you ?? :?:

Twenty years from now you\'ll be more disappointed by the things you didn\'t do then the things you did.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2011 at 03:16 PM

Here's one more. This is from the Isthmus of Tehuantepec in Oaxaca.

The Spanish you might not understand is not Spanish~~ it's Zapotec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi4WK5dO5lM

[Edited on 10-15-2011 by Paula]
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2011 at 03:22 PM

And another classic version~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFD-HxPpP_U&feature=relat...
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2011 at 03:58 PM

Similar to The Boogie Man! You tell the kids she/he is gonna get you. If you don't behave! Jesse's pic looks like Ann Margaret?! Recently, a few Asuncion locals told me about their encounters with La Chupa Cabra!:o Dia de los Muertos Rules!! Tio
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2011 at 04:02 PM

There are a lot of tales referring to La Llorona as a woman who kills her children in revenge when her husband betrays her for another woman...the same tale as Medea in greek mythology. There is another version equating La Llorona with the Aztec goddess Cihuacoatl who wandered crying in the night about the destruction of her children which predicted the spanish conquest...Yet another equates La Llorona with Malinche who was supposed to have killed her young sons when Cortes planned to take them to Spain, and then wandered the lake crying for them...in fact there is no evidence that Malinche killed her children, and plenty that Cortes took them, so maybe that's why she is crying!

Paula...love the music videos.
KASHEYDOG
Senior Nomad

Mood: SO MANY TACOS, SO LITTLE TIME... Gotta Go, See ya there....:bounce:

[*] posted on 10-15-2011 at 04:44 PM

La Llorona ("The Weeping Woman") is a widespread legend in Mexico, Puerto Rico and Central America. Although several variations exist, the basic story tells of a beautiful woman by the name of Maria killing her children by drowning them, in order to be with the man that she loved. When the man rejects her, she kills herself. Challenged at the gates of heaven as to the whereabouts of her children, she is not permitted to enter the afterlife until she has found them. Maria is forced to wander the Earth for all eternity, searching in vain for her drowned offspring, with her constant weeping giving her the name "La Llorona".

In some versions of the tale, La Llorona kidnaps wandering children, or children who disobey their parents. People who claim to see her say she comes out at nights or in the late evenings from rivers or oceans in Mexico. Some believe that those who hear the wails of La Llorona are marked for death, similar to the Gaelic banshee legend. She is said to cry "Ay, mis hijos!" which translates to "Oh, my children!"

Typically, the legend serves as a cautionary tale on several levels. Parents will warn their children that bad behavior will cause La Llorona to abduct them,[1] and that being outside after dark will result in her visitation. The tale also warns teenage girls not to be enticed by status, wealth, material goods, or by men making declarations of love or lavish promises.

Comparisons to other folktales
La Llorona bears a resemblance to the ancient Greek tale of the demonic demigodess Lamia who had an affair with Zeus. Hera, Zeus' wife, learned of the affair. Hera then forced Zeus to give up the relationship and punished Lamia by forcing her to eat her own children. Out of jealousy over the loss of her own children, Lamia preys upon human children and devours them if she catches them.[2][3][4] In Greek mythology, Medea killed the two children fathered by Jason (one of the Argonauts) after he left her for another woman.

Local Aztec folklore possibly influenced the legend; the goddess Cihuacoatl or Coatlicue was said to have appeared shortly prior to the invasion of Mexico by Hernán Cortés, weeping for her lost children, an omen of the fall of the Aztec empire.

La Llorona is also sometimes identified with La Malinche, the Nahua woman who served as Cortés' interpreter and who some say betrayed Mexico to the Spanish conquistadors. In one folk story of La Malinche, she becomes Cortés' mistress and bore him a child, only to be abandoned so that he could marry a Spanish lady (although no evidence exists that La Malinche killed her children). Aztec pride drove La Malinche to acts of vengeance. In this context, the tale compares the Spanish invasion of Mexico and the demise of indigenous culture after the conquest with La Llorona's loss.

Don\'t mess with the old dog...... Age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery! Brilliance only comes with age and experience..... :smug: .... :P .... :smug:
Are you getting the most out of life OR is life getting the most out of you ?? :?:

Twenty years from now you\'ll be more disappointed by the things you didn\'t do then the things you did.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 10-16-2011 at 09:10 AM

My wife's family from South America knows of this legend - I wonder if it exists in Spain as well? Scary stuff, indeed!:no:

sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2011 at 01:00 PM

As with most everything on YouTube these days, I don't know if this video is phony but these fellas appear to be crapping little green apples.

http://youtu.be/tXYoNL5vIE0

vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2011 at 09:09 PM

sanquintinsince73, have you ever heard of the ghost
story of the guy who takes this girl home from a dance.
She lived across the street from the Evergreen Cemetery.
And as it turned out when he went back to the house
the next day for some forgotten item. He finds out from the
mother that the girl had been dead for some time.
I think that he ended up finding his jacket,that he loaned her because she was cold ,on her grave stone? or something like that? Believe it or not? I think that it made the papers.

[Edited on 10-28-2011 by vacaenbaja]

sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2011 at 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vacaenbaja
sanquintinsince73, have you ever heard of the ghost
story of the guy who takes this girl home from a dance.
She lived across the street from the Evergreen Cemetery.
And as it turned out when he went back to the house
the next day for some forgotten item. He finds out from the
mother that the girl had been dead for some time.
I think that he ended up finding his jacket,that he loaned her because she was cold ,on her grave stone? or something like that? Believe it or not? I think that it made the papers.

Heard that story quite a few times. I grew up near Evergreen Cemetery. The place has very old tombstones and as a matter of fact, that is where the final scene for Mask starring Cher and Eric Stoltz was filmed. L.A. County operates a crematorium there where all of the unclaimed corpses are disposed of.
deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2011 at 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
My wife's family from South America knows of this legend - I wonder if it exists in Spain as well? Scary stuff, indeed!:no:

Que parte de Sud America es la familia de su Segnora?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.