Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Tucson to Loreto drive time
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 04:58 AM
Tucson to Loreto drive time

Hi everyone ;D I have a friend that will be traveling from Tucson to Loreto this winter . He will be towing a 19-21 ft fishing boat . He would like to leave Tucson early on a sunday morning cross the border and drive thru to El Rosario the first day . Spend the night then head to loreto in a day of travel .

Anyone have any feed back on this ? Thanks for your help :bounce:
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 10:34 AM

I just finished towing a boat down from San Diego to Loreto. It was a tough two day drive. Three days would be a lot more enjoyable from Tuscon.

Its rather expensive, but the ferry from Guaymas is a much easier way to go. Just something to consider.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 11:27 AM

Another possibility if your friend is wedded to two days would be to overnight in San Quintin. Villa de San Quintin is right on Mex 1 with plenty of parking for a boat/trailer and much nicer accommodations than he will find in ER. SQ would be an easier reach from Tucson in one day, and with an early start he could easily make Loreto in daylight on day two......
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 11:38 AM

Roadwork/construction will be an issue for all travelers .Someone just posted some good pictures of a few construction areas and another mentioned a rock to windshield! I would add a few hours to each days travel! Tecate was an easy crossing as usual. Slow and easy. Tio
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
Another possibility if your friend is wedded to two days would be to overnight in San Quintin. Villa de San Quintin is right on Mex 1 with plenty of parking for a boat/trailer and much nicer accommodations than he will find in ER. SQ would be an easier reach from Tucson in one day, and with an early start he could easily make Loreto in daylight on day two......

Seriously, you need to experience Baja Cactus in El Rosario sometime...

Room has King beds, satellite TV (English channels incl.), phone (can call anywhere in the world from), coffee maker, Kirkland bottled water (no charge), pressure boosted hot water showers, a 24 hour desk clerk, large secured parking, and more...

Even at the low price of under $40, they still offer discounts to Baja Nomads and Discover Baja members... have your card if you want even more off the rediculously low price for such a comfortable place.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 03:10 PM

wouldn't recommend it. two night minimum for comfort and safety. pulling a trailer and with days getting shorter, makes no sense to push it that hard.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt

Seriously, you need to experience Baja Cactus in El Rosario sometime...

Room has King beds, satellite TV (English channels incl.), phone (can call anywhere in the world from), coffee maker, Kirkland bottled water (no charge), pressure boosted hot water showers, a 24 hour desk clerk, large secured parking, and more...

Even at the low price of under $40, they still offer discounts to Baja Nomads and Discover Baja members... have your card if you want even more off the rediculously low price for such a comfortable place.

Sounds great...............Is there a gas station near by, how about restaurants???????????????????
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 04:05 PM

When your joking please add a :lol:

For the unknown number of newbies or lurkers... Yes, the gas station is next door (open 24/7, reliable fuel supply and honest pumps).

There are many eating establishments in El Rosario from taco and hot dog stands to dining rooms. Mama Espinoza's is next door... like going into a Baja museum food has been reported as good to poor, same with service. Breakfast always good. Down the street is many restaurants and then Tacos Mision (for a treat try Hugo's stuffed baked potatoes or giant burritos). At the far end of town is Baja's Best Bed & Breakfast and Bar & Restaurant... always good.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
When your joking please add a :lol:

For the unknown number of newbies or lurkers... Yes, the gas station is next door (open 24/7, reliable fuel supply and honest pumps).

There are many eating establishments in El Rosario from taco and hot dog stands to dining rooms. Mama Espinoza's is next door... like going into a Baja museum food has been reported as good to poor, same with service. Breakfast always good. Down the street is many restaurants and then Tacos Mision (for a treat try Hugo's stuffed baked potatoes or giant burritos). At the far end of town is Baja's Best Bed & Breakfast and Bar & Restaurant... always good.

"Breakfast always good" at Mama's?????

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 04:29 PM

easy as apple pie...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
easy as apple pie...

bwahhhh....of course it is, but, well you know:lol:

ain't tough like ol' Jimmy Smith boyz any more...few and far between:lol:

cept' for Wild Bill, Roberto and lemme think...maybe I shouldn't think...

see ya soon Bob

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 09:25 PM

Methinks DK has never stayed in a truly nice hotel. Calling out the "Kirkland" bottled water and the phone from which "can call anywhere in the world from". Wait, I can do that with my cell phone!

Too f'ing funny! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 10-21-2011 by Roberto]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2011 at 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Methinks DK has never stayed in a truly nice hotel. Calling out the "Kirkland" bottled water and the phone from which "can call anywhere in the world from". Wait, I can do that with my cell phone!

Guess the being in El Rosario was missed... not all U.S. cell phones work there, and the U.S. bottled water is free... in U.S. hotels there is a $2+ charge... and those rooms are over $100. Makes Baja Cactus better than a Hyatt in many ways, besides being in Baja.

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 10-21-2011 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto

Guess the being in El Rosario was missed... not all U.S. cell phones work there, and the U.S. bottled water is free... in U.S. hotels there is a $2+ charge... and those rooms are over $100. Makes Baja Cactus better than a Hyatt in many ways, besides being in Baja.

News bulletin - you mean I need a cell phone that works in Mexico? Boy, am i glad you told me.

Better than the Hyatt "in many ways". More great info!

LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2011 at 09:39 AM

With the current road construction and waiting.. You will need to allow two days to get from the border to Loreto towing a boat or trailer..
Trailer with be torn-up in the "off pavement" sections

May be Tuson- Ensenada > Ensenada-GN > GN-Loreto would be break-up.. allowing for getting through the border paperwork..

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2011 at 09:43 AM

two days from tucson will be an easy pace(even with the construction).
Day one get a early dinner in san quintin and push on.

Day 2 leave el rasrio early 5am... be in loreto late afternoon. lunch on second day at guerrero negro. on first day you may want to push on to catavina, or new hotel at Rosarito, if daylight allows.

I travel to Loreto with my boat every sept. this year because of the fishing conditions i did not go. 3 of the guys that have gone with me for years took another boat and went. we usually pass Ensenada at 3 or 4 am and always make loreto before dark. that is what they did ... and even with the construction the travel plan worked again.

[Edited on 10-24-2011 by honda tom]
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2011 at 10:01 AM

Only stop there for fuel. (El Rosario) ate there once, me and dad... two taco plates, carne asada... two beers, Pacifico... billed over $20 bucs! NEVER AGAIN.:mad:
Wally
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2011 at 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ligui
Hi everyone ;D I have a friend that will be traveling from Tucson to Loreto this winter . He will be towing a 19-21 ft fishing boat . He would like to leave Tucson early on a sunday morning cross the border and drive thru to El Rosario the first day . Spend the night then head to loreto in a day of travel .

Yes this can be accomplished without any problem. Personally, I'd make the first day a 14 hour drive and push for Guerrero Negro, using Cativina as a back up--thus only having a 5 - 6 hour day #2. I flat-towed a vehicle round trip this summer to Utah. The highway construction was an issue only once with me literally having to follow behind the road grater (if you've ever flat towed then you know that the towed vehicle doesn't like soft surfaces).

Whenever I have to drive a long distance I just want it to be over.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2011 at 01:39 PM

There is no way he can make GN in 14 hours from Tucson towing a boat (approx 800 miles). Just going to El Rosario wll be ong enough.

Quote:
Originally posted by Wally
Quote:
Originally posted by ligui

Yes this can be accomplished without any problem. Personally, I'd make the first day a 14 hour drive and push for Guerrero Negro, using Cativina as a back up--thus only having a 5 - 6 hour day #2. I flat-towed a vehicle round trip this summer to Utah. The highway construction was an issue only once with me literally having to follow behind the road grater (if you've ever flat towed then you know that the towed vehicle doesn't like soft surfaces).

Whenever I have to drive a long distance I just want it to be over.
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2011 at 03:28 PM

Tucson to border 6 hours. Leave tucson at 4am cross at 11am after eating. 5+ hours to el rosario, and its 4pm. 4 more hours and your in GN between 8 and 9. A long day.... yes, but not a big deal for those of us that love to drive.

I cant sleep the night before a baja trip so I would leave at 3am.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.