Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Gun battle in Cabo San Lucas
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 10-30-2011 at 07:31 PM

It would become a damn shame if Baja Sur's most lucrative tourist city goes down under this kind of violence....and makes you carry this passenger:

edit: dang oversized photo again...excuse me while I downsize that sucker....

there, that's better.

[Edited on 10-31-2011 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 10-30-2011 at 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by measomsan
condolences indeed. our hood is tight...the bull ring is a few ,,,,i think info sharing is
good...but you know...just in here beacuse I think info is good

Hearing info is always good. Sometimes out where we are we may not get memo for a day or so!

Watched a video earlier today that showed Military soldiers taking shelter by the pumps in the PeMex at Soriana's. You can hear the guns shots in the back ground.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2011 at 04:35 PM

This incident occurred uphill from the tourist area. Perhaps small solace to the faint of heart. But, as has been noted in this thread earlier, BCS, and Cabo have been somewhat immune to the violence that wracks some mainland areas.

Cabo officials were actually gloating about their recent record of safety and harmony.

I'm guessing that this one incident alone will not trash the tourism industry. But, similar to Acapulco, a couple more of these incident will make Cabo toast. I hope that doesn't happen.

Funny thing is that my own personal laziness found me in the WalMart in Cabo recently, where I was put upon by a plethora of time share pimps, who jump you when you walk in the door. (can you believe that these guys implre you that you MUST tell them where you are staying!) WalMart actually receives payment from their company to allow them to harass the customers. Before I flipped off one of these guys, and walked away, I mentioned that I usually shop at Soriana, a company that does not allow these pimps in the door. His reply to me was that they didn't need to hang in Soriana simply because the vast majority of the tourists shop at WalMart and Costco.

I was at that Soriana five days prior to this mess.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-31-2011 at 04:58 PM

For those of you who read spanish, I check daily to Colectivo Perico for up to date news on stuff like this...really interesting and the comments are even more informative.
http://colectivopericu.wordpress.com/

all kinds of crazy stuff going on most people hear nothing about...like the shoot out at the entrance to San Lucas Cove awile back!

[Edited on 10-31-2011 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2011 at 05:24 PM

So if your a tourist, you will be ok, right?
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 11-1-2011 at 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
So if your a tourist, you will be ok, right?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2011 at 05:49 AM

How about this: .......

NEW ORLEANS: 15 shot, 2 dead in Halloween shootings...

Cabo still sounds pretty safe!
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2011 at 03:59 PM

Sadly, it's about perception. My take on what happened in Brisas last weekend could actually be encouraging, in that unlike bodies hung from overpasses, or bodies heaped on the main drag, as witnessed elsewhere in Mexico, this appeared to be a pro-active move by authorities.

For those who don't know, Mexico has been actively pursuing the vote to be host of the G20 summit next year. They have already broken ground on what is to be a huge convention facility in the Cabo Real development between San Lucas and San Jose.

Incident such as the one over the weekend don't tend to support Mexico's bid.
slimshady
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2011 at 09:27 PM

Looks like they are putting the hammer to these guys. Heard they hooked up some druggies in Los Barriles who were users as well as some sellers.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2011 at 06:05 AM

Read the part on Cabo News:

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=...
JAG0000

[*] posted on 11-2-2011 at 01:31 PM
Cabo Resident and Publisher's view

As a publisher and resident of Cabo San Lucas I felt it necessary to write a publisher's note concerning this last weeks violence... I live just 8 blocks from this area and while not many tourist go there...all must be safe no matter who there are or where they come from... but please be sure to try and get the facts and not just repeat rumors and hype as many have done... You may read my note here http://tinyurl.com/3uys9wo

I appreciate all comments good or bad as while i personally don't any less safe these days here and believe that at this time tourist and most residents are safe I'm always open to others opinions as I have found here...Thank you and have a great day, James
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2011 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JAG0000
As a publisher and resident of Cabo San Lucas I felt it necessary to write a publisher's note concerning this last weeks violence... I live just 8 blocks from this area and while not many tourist go there...all must be safe no matter who there are or where they come from... but please be sure to try and get the facts and not just repeat rumors and hype as many have done... You may read my note here http://tinyurl.com/3uys9wo

I appreciate all comments good or bad as while i personally don't any less safe these days here and believe that at this time tourist and most residents are safe I'm always open to others opinions as I have found here...Thank you and have a great day, James

I feel alot better.....whew!!
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2011 at 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73
Quote:

I feel alot better.....whew!!

:lol::lol::lol:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2011 at 02:35 PM

Quote:
but please be sure to try and get the facts and not just repeat rumors and hype as many have done...

Welcome to Nomad, James.
Ya know what, James? We get real sick and tired of being told how we should interpret news of the day. Vicariously, we have lived, relived and suffered so much mayhem in Mexico that I believe it gives us a clear idea of how far we can stretch our imaginations and still stay within the limits of the facts around a story.
We speculate...we project...and sometimes we just plain guess, but that's just how we see our adopted country being torn to hell and the discussion helps us to learn and process all the crap.
Soooo...James, if you don't mind, keep your news absorbtion lessons to yourself, or, better yet, preach it to the hotel guests down there. Do that while you can, 'cause after a few more gunfights, there may not be anyone left to tell that Cabo is safe.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2011 at 02:42 PM

Really

what a bunch of bull
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-2-2011 at 02:45 PM

I really don't give a flying "F" how many of those low life pieces of doo-doo kill each other. But at least give me a chance to defend myself. Let tourists carry a personal weapon for self defense. Check it in at the border and check it out on exit. If you shoot yourself in the foot you're on your own.:D
JAG0000

[*] posted on 11-2-2011 at 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
but please be sure to try and get the facts and not just repeat rumors and hype as many have done...

Welcome to Nomad, James.
Ya know what, James? We get real sick and tired of being told how we should interpret news of the day. Vicariously, we have lived, relived and suffered so much mayhem in Mexico that I believe it gives us a clear idea of how far we can stretch our imaginations and still stay within the limits of the facts around a story.
We speculate...we project...and sometimes we just plain guess, but that's just how we see our adopted country being torn to hell and the discussion helps us to learn and process all the crap.
Soooo...James, if you don't mind, keep your news absorbtion lessons to yourself, or, better yet, preach it to the hotel guests down there. Do that while you can, 'cause after a few more gunfights, there may not be anyone left to tell that Cabo is safe.

I do appreciate what you say and was not preaching to those that live here..in fact I don't like to tell people what to do at all; but our webzine is read all over the world and it was for those that are not living here in Mexico that I made those commnets... Some of the world media was saying a lot more people were hurt, killed and that the people in the mall were held hostage by gunmen...maybe indirectly but it was the police and army that kept them inside for hours till they could control the situation and safely let them leave.

I also agree that if this continues, Cabo will not be safe and there will be no tourists...that is a sad but ture fact.

Thnak you for your time in responding to my post and have a great day!
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2011 at 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Welcome to Nomad, James.

http://youtu.be/IxAKFlpdcfc
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2011 at 02:58 PM

I know that a travel mag is going to do all it can to get people traveling. But this statement in your article is written to get the unknowing to believe TJ is safe at night. Come on. leads me to believe that all your stuff is BS and now I would believe a thing that mag said what so ever.

. "I’ve even spent nights in last few months walking the tourist streets of Tijuana late at night and in the wee hours of the mornings only to find polite and helpful people including the police and Army asking me if I’m okay and feel safe."
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2011 at 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte
"I’ve even spent nights in last few months walking the tourist streets of Tijuana late at night and in the wee hours of the mornings only to find polite and helpful people including the police and Army asking me if I’m okay and feel safe."

:lol::lol: Gathering material, no doubt. :lol::lol:

Photos please.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.