Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Best San Felipe Campground
Anonymous
Unregistered

wink.gif posted on 9-19-2004 at 10:47 PM
Best San Felipe Campground

Hi - We're new to Baja and will be heading this weekend to San Felipe. We want to get a campground near but not IN town. This time of year I think a shade palapa is a MUST, a picnic table would be great, and restrooms. Maybe showers? No frills, just good for kids and swimming/shelling. What is a scenic one you guys recommend? Thanks!!!
Selkie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2004 at 06:37 AM

I usually stay at Club de Pesca. It's quiet, clean, and at the south part of town.:yes:
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 9-20-2004 at 08:53 PM

All of us have our favorites...I happen to like Petes north of town.

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2004 at 06:27 AM
Campgrounds

I have stayed at pete's and at club de pesca. They both are good and right on the beach. Both have warmshowers, flush toilets, the cement pad (at club pesca) under the palapa's encourages c-ckroaches to come tuck you in at night(part of the "baja" experience). I think Pete's is 5 bucks cheaper per night. They both have food available. Pesca is closer to town (it's right on the edge of town while pete's is a few miles north). For me, it was pleasurable at both places.

\"changes it lattitudes, changes in attitudes\"
J.Buffet
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-21-2004 at 01:54 PM

Thnks for the suggestions! I found Pete's website and it does look good. But... Is there any a little more remote, more atmospheric, I guess is what I mean. Pete's looks kinda like a little city. We want a palapa, and a table if possible, and not too many partiers - we have little kids.

Thanks again!:spingrin:
Selkie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2004 at 07:21 AM

Try heading south of town towards Puertocitos. There are numerous campgrounds, all more isolated, but still within about 20-30 min. drive from San Felipe. Can't remember the names, but keep an eye out as you head south of town. Don't be discouraged by the few abandoned parks along the way. There are some nice parks to be found. My favorite is Nuevo Mazatlan, about 20-25 miles south of town. Lots of trees and a beautiful beach.:yes:
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2004 at 11:12 AM
Nuevo Mazatlan is good

and so is Campo Laguna Percebu which just a few miles north of NM. Percebu has shade palapas, showers and seems more remote than pete's or pesca. It does have a palapa kitchen area (so does NM) There is a sign letting you know where to turn for both.
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2004 at 11:14 AM
The kitchen area at percebu is under a palapa

but at NM I think some of the sites have sink/food prep areas in them. I stayed at percebu and just drove through nuevo mazatlan to check it out.

J.Buffet
Corky1
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2004 at 06:13 PM

Here's my choice when staying in San Felipe!!
http://www.camposanfelipe.com/form1.html

Corky

\"Keep The Rubberside Down\"
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

thumbup.gif posted on 9-22-2004 at 06:26 PM
Nuevo Mazatlan, Km. 32, south of San Felipe

This is on the beach looking inland at the camp, in a forest of salt pine trees planted up to 35 years ago. There are no modern facilities other than flush toilets, unheated showers, and cleaning water. But, usually quiet... unlike Pete's, Percebu, or other camps with more facilities. Restaurants and a doctor is just 3 kms. south on the highway (Ejido Delicias). More photos at http://community-2.webtv.net/vivabaja/nm

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-23-2004 at 12:37 PM

Thnx so much for all the repies! We are thinking we will go directly to Pete's tonite, stay 2 days in San Felipe proper, then head south and try fishing and snorkeling near Puertocitos and stay at one of the 2 campos you guys have suggested near there.
Should I let you know how it goes?
Thanks again, Whitlocks:tumble:
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2004 at 01:30 PM
Post a complete trip report

when you get back. Have a good time.

J.Buffet
dbrooks
Junior Nomad

Mood: The shock treat

[*] posted on 9-23-2004 at 02:05 PM
Playa Destiny

is da best. About 10 min North of Puertocitos. See the natural hot springs in Puertocitos while you are there...

[Edited on 9-23-2004 by dbrooks]
dbrooks
Junior Nomad

Mood: The shock treat

[*] posted on 9-23-2004 at 02:38 PM
hers's a picture

of playa destiny
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2004 at 09:40 AM
brooks

playa destiny looks nice. Are there showers?
What time of years was this pic taken?

J.Buffet
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-12-2004 at 02:47 PM
Playa Destiny - Perfect!

Hey, thanks again for all of the suggestions. Here's a quick trip report:

Spent the first 2 nites at Pete's near San Felipe. Ate great fish tacos, pan dulce and tortillas - yum! Last nite there a group of young adults (that's putting in nicely) set up camp right next door, even thought the place was pretty empty, and dropped F-bombs all night.

Next day, we drove south to Puertocitos but couldn't find Neuvo Mazitlan - don't know if we went too far or not far enough. I left all of my Internet printouts on the desk so I was going by memory...

Anyway, we found Playa Destiny. Awsome! hot showers, a palapa for both the car and the tent, and picnic table and a grill. AND, we had the whole place to ourselves! The proprietor (nice guy, don't remember his name) said it is pretty much always like that. The icing was when we got to "rent" his little row boat for the price of one of my Dad's fishing poles. (He said some college guys stole his a few months ago). Next 2 days we fished, snorkled, beach combed, and generally had a blast! I recommend this little gem to anyone!!!

Here's a pic:
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 10-12-2004 at 05:33 PM

Unfortunately, as much as I like Pete's, at times it hosts groups that I don't personally appreciate. I have zero desire to travel to Baja to feel like I am in downtown LA.

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-12-2004 at 08:46 PM

Sorry you didn't see Nuevo Mazatlan, but sounds like you had a good trip... and that's what is important!

Nuevo Mazatlan is at the Km. 32 post, has a big sign, just 3/4 mile south of Santa Maria's driveway and 3 kms. north of the little town of Ejido Delicias (with the fire station, policia, cafe's and doctor's office) half way to Puertecitos. Also more trees are there (in camp) than the entire San Felipe desert!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Dee

[*] posted on 10-13-2004 at 10:10 PM
campgrounds

I go to San Felipe at least a couple of times a year. Just love the place. I used to stay at Ruben's Place but it was divided a while back and now we stay on the side thats called Kiki's. Its clean, has showers, toilets. The palapas are two stories and they are right off the beach. My sis and I usually go during no-tourist season so we can avoid all the noise.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.