Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: MAUI AND MEMORIES
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 11:55 AM
MAUI AND MEMORIES

Kihie November 2011
Here are some pics taken two weeks ago on Maui. I have been hanging and vacationing there for over 35 years and i've seen many changes. The airport back then was a one level open air affair with no gangways to the aircraft. One walked out to the plane and climbed a stairway. The road out of airport had one light then and a very narrow two lane road through high cane fields to either Kihei or Lahaina on the lee side of the island. Now it's a large very modern airport (with luggage carousels even) surrounded by shopping centers and big stores on the way to super highways with wide shoulders and bike lanes.

Kihei had no side walks back then. Looked like this all through town. This is south of town at the last park beach.

Now its all sidewalks. Kinda lost its charm. Note the bike lane. Now they are everywhere. I used to Triathlon train on Maui in the early '80's. Back then no bike lanes anywhere. I would sneak onto cane field roads to get away from traffic.

Our view of Molokini, a little crescent shaped island that is popular with divers and snorkelers. In the background is Kahoolawe which is very well known to all blue water sailors in the US Navy Pacific Fleet. Back in 1959 we would land Marines on shore and they would spot fire control for our big shipboards guns. We would sit off shore and blast the #### out of the place. Great fun. Of course no one lives there.

Lahaina is just around the point in the background on my right. Back then one could drive there and park anywhere. Now it's bumper to bumper for a mile and you have to park in a lot. There are a string of public parks and beaches here in Kihei that offer safe swimming and moderate beginner surfing. I would make a joke here about how the parkland could be put to better use with high rise hotels but there're to many Nomads around here with no sense of humor so I won't.

The beach a few minutes walk our place. Great for snorkeling and scuba. Water temp about 90º.

Big Beach used to be "Secret Beach". The path to it was hidden in the bushes along a dirt road to Makena . Now the road is paved to the lava fields and there is a huge parking lot up close to the beach. The nude beach is on the other side of the bluff. My wife was with me so…..

I am only 70, but when I get old and it's time to retire we plan on buying a house here in Wailea. Wailea was incorporated in1970. Back then the paved road ended near here.

Kat is five feet tall and 90 pounds and brave as anyone. Our last trip together in Mexico was into the Sierra Madre and Copper Canyon back in 2009. That flower is still on the bush.

Unfortunately no spectacular sunsets viewed from our deck this time around. We were treated to a thunder and lightening show one night and early morning. I rise before dawn and have my coffee here.

NO BAD DAYS

[Edited on 11-20-2011 by Marc]

[Edited on 11-20-2011 by Marc]
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 12:06 PM

Thanks much... what can one say about the Islands... I'll leave to folks that are better with words.... but, it looks really nice.... :):)

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 12:10 PM

Wonderful portfolio Marc!!! Thank you for putting this together. I spent much time on Maui, both in the Lahaina and Kihei areas and this brought back some very nice memories.

carpe diem!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 12:24 PM

Going there with 10 members of our Family in Feb. for 3 weeks------this was a really great preview!!!

Thank you.

Barry
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 02:04 PM

I lived for a year in Kihie

looks like the same condo place that I lived in,
this was in 1986, I was just divorced, moved over from the main land, stayed with friends for a bit, until I found the condos,
I really love the Islands, no bad days
and yes it was alot different then, I got remarried in 1998 in Kona, we visited Kihie for a few days, my how it has grown up,
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 04:06 PM

Marc, Thanks. Any more pics? Hana?:D
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 04:51 PM

I'm guessing that we have shared much of the wonderment about the development on Maui over the past several decades.

For me, my absolutely first mind-blowing experience was to see the big box stores on the way from the airport.

Noting that you apparently stayed in Kihei, I must confess that aside from the drop dead beauty of Hana, I much prefer the South side of the island to the hustle and bustle of the Northwest coast. Even if Wailea does have a certain fakeness as a planned resort, it still beats that Kaanapali vibe. JMHO.

And, although it costs an arm and a leg to eat there, inasmuch as we first eat at Mama's Fish House about 25 years ago, it still is my-go to place.

Ever been there?
Marc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Marc, Thanks. Any more pics? Hana?:D

On the road to Hana (Nov. 2010)

Charles Lindberg's gravesite was hard to find. According to his wishes it faces the big island of Hawaii.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 05:57 PM

Marc, Thanks!!!:yes:
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 06:10 PM

Like Maui more than Baja. Love the Mexicans more than the Hawaiians.

Still, Maui no ka oi!
Marc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ridge
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc...I am only 70...
Holy smokes brah; I would've said 45.

Thanks. I don't feel a day over 65:lol::lol::lol:
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 06:41 PM
Big Island Rules....in Hawaii....

On Oahu right now...landed in Maui last week...Maui is highly overrated in my opinion and overinflated. The Big Island has more diverse ecosystems than anywhere else in the world and Oahu has more diverse culture than anywhere on the Hawaiian islands...Kihei was just another condo development that has restaurants that charge $10 US for a hot dog...kinda lookin' forward to returning to Baja....the simple life...no recycled airplane air that gave me a wicked flu...and food for under $10 pesos...
Marc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
On Oahu right now...landed in Maui last week...Maui is highly overrated in my opinion and overinflated. The Big Island has more diverse ecosystems than anywhere else in the world and Oahu has more diverse culture than anywhere on the Hawaiian islands...Kihei was just another condo development that has restaurants that charge $10 US for a hot dog...kinda lookin' forward to returning to Baja....the simple life...no recycled airplane air that gave me a wicked flu...and food for under $10 pesos...

I LOVE the big island. Seems like time has stood still in some areas and I have friends in Hilo. I have night dived of of Kona. The Kona area traffic and over building in that area is concerning. Sorry you don't like Maui. I tried to make a point of how it has changed and I would guess you are not a surfer? Get well and see you at Housong's.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 07:47 PM

One has to go a long ways to find a better dining experience then the one at Mama's Fish House. IMEO. :saint::dudette:

Yes Hawaii has changed. Some places more then others. So have many other places (Baja). I still like going there and still have a great time when I am there and still get excited planning the next trip. :cool:

Who goes to Hawaii to eat a hot dog? ;):biggrin: I wait until I am in Todos Santos. :saint:

[Edited on 11-21-2011 by elgatoloco]

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 07:50 PM

We have always found that each of the Hawaiian Islands offers a unique experience, but all great!!! Our favorite is probably Molokai, but we do love all of them----we have yet to visit Niihau, Lanai, and Kahoolawe, but maybe this February we can do that. I agree that the Big Island is probably the most different from the others, and is really nice, but as said we love them all. We are kinda strange, but our favorite hotel is the MANAGO in Capt. Cook on the Big Island, and the food there is to die for. :yes:

Barry
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 11-21-2011 at 10:29 AM
A hot dog was all I could afford to eat in Maui...

I personally didn't go to Maui to eat a hot dog...but it was the only thing within my budget...On Dennis' recommendation I had a delicious fish taco by Ramos' on the way to La Bufadora that can't be beat...and a fraction of the price...I would wait to eat fresh fish in Baja and rather just cook my own fresh fish from Times supermarket here in Kailua rather than dump all my money into a restaurant that is overpriced and out of the way...there are alot of closer restaurants in Maui to the center of the action that have just as good food and cost alot less (according to a local I spoke to) (although a lot less in Maui probably means at least $30 American a plate)...plus I am not a fan of Poke or Sushi.. and I find the beaches on the North Shore of Oahu with the white sand and green lush vegetation alot more appealing than the sparce desert of Kanaapali that gives you a view of the brown side of Molokai and Lanai...of course, all of the Hawaiian Islands are breathtakingly beautiful, and I think my favorite part of Maui is beautiful Kapalua, on a hillside with those beautiful Hawaiian pine trees and endless greenery.
Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
One has to go a long ways to find a better dining experience then the one at Mama's Fish House. IMEO. :saint::dudette:

Yes Hawaii has changed. Some places more then others. So have many other places (Baja). I still like going there and still have a great time when I am there and still get excited planning the next trip. :cool:

Who goes to Hawaii to eat a hot dog? ;):biggrin: I wait until I am in Todos Santos. :saint:

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 11-21-2011 at 10:36 AM
Manago...

Barry,

I spent time in Captain Cook working at Kona Hospital and passed the Manago...I had heard SO much about it...so I decided to walk in there one day and check it out...it is ultra 40's era, and the two Asian attendants were probably in attendance there in the 1940's...nothing appeared to have changed since then....since I am not much into retro or antique motif styles, I decided to defer on my idea to stay there or dine there...and opted for the Hawaiian potato chip factory next door...Captain Cook is a beautiful area however...
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
We have always found that each of the Hawaiian Islands offers a unique experience, but all great!!! Our favorite is probably Molokai, but we do love all of them----we have yet to visit Niihau, Lanai, and Kahoolawe, but maybe this February we can do that. I agree that the Big Island is probably the most different from the others, and is really nice, but as said we love them all. We are kinda strange, but our favorite hotel is the MANAGO in Capt. Cook on the Big Island, and the food there is to die for. :yes:

Barry
:?::?::?::?::?::?::?:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2011 at 10:59 AM

Doctor--------the huge newer "unit" behind the "old" Manago Hotel building is fairly modern, and has the views, and is very cheap--------we have never stayed in the "old" building. But when there in the future, you MUST try the restaurant in the old building-----truly a culinary experience!!!! tho not fancy at all. But yes, we are into "old" so often stay in the historic hotels rather than the new one's in our travels---------for us it is just fun. :spingrin:

Barry
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 11-21-2011 at 11:46 AM
Thanks Barry...

When did they build that unit..LOL..I never knew it was there...OK OK I will try it when I get back sometime...and I hope it is soon...I have heard so much about it...funny...I just love Hilo...its so old and antiquated so I guess I am a bit of a hypocrite cause for someone who doesn't like "old" I love the greenery and authenticity of Hilo as being how "Old" Hawaii used to be...I like it alot better than the Kona side...(too dry and brown for me...though I do love driving through a desert proper...!!)
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Doctor--------the huge newer "unit" behind the "old" Manago Hotel building is fairly modern, and has the views, and is very cheap--------we have never stayed in the "old" building. But when there in the future, you MUST try the restaurant in the old building-----truly a culinary experience!!!! tho not fancy at all. But yes, we are into "old" so often stay in the historic hotels rather than the new one's in our travels---------for us it is just fun. :spingrin:

Barry
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2011 at 11:50 AM

Kona always reminds me of Baja CA, from a geographical point of view--------but with modern high-rises. For that reason, I love Kona more than the jungles of the east coast of the Big Island. I am a true "desert rat".

Barry
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.