Author: Subject: Baja Hijacking !
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Remember this thread about hijacking and all 52 pages?

It was crazy and FUN

Yeah....it was, although I looked around a little [not too much] for posts of mine and didn't see any. Must have happened during one of my forced vacations. :cool:

Oh, you are there----so you must have been back from one of those vacations. :biggrin:

acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 04:40 PM

Nomad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Member Is Online

posted on 11-20-2011 at 05:14 AM

Current road conditions

Headed from CO to Asuncion next week, crossing 11/27. Any current road reports?

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish

shari

Select Nomad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mood: feliz de la vida
posted on 11-20-2011 at 07:30 AM

campers that just arrived here reported that the road into Asuncion from Vizcaino is much much better...it is being repaved and most holes are filled on the section they havent got to yet...the whole thing is supposed to be finished by Xmas...woo hoo. They also commented that the Jesus Maria construction area wasnt that bad...look forward to your visit!

Any chance of picking up a box of plastic wine glasses for Sirenita's wedding? about 150 or so?

for info & pics of our little paradise
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
http://bahiaasuncionmexico.wordpress.com/
http://sharibondy.wordpress.com/

oxxo

Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!
posted on 11-20-2011 at 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by acadist
Headed from CO to Asuncion next week, crossing 11/27. Any current road reports?

Drove from Cabo to Border just last week. Hwy 1 is in good shape. Only construction you will encounter is about 10 miles of road work between Ensenada and San Quintin. The detour along this area is pretty good at a speed of about 40mph.

acadist

Nomad

Member Is Online

posted on 11-20-2011 at 01:29 PM

Shari,
Only 150? Sounds like a small wedding Shouldn't be a problem, we can stop at Smart & Final when we are in LA next week. Shoot me a U2U next week to remind me. Also let me know anything else you may need, I have a pickup truck so I can fit almost anything you may need. Will she still be looking for a ride?
Dave

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish

Does it count if I hijack my own thread????:P:P:P:P

Dave
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 04:54 PM

none of these people should have posted an answer

here is a question about where to live in Baja.
none of the posts answer it
is your intention to drive people away with uselessness?
this page is less monitored than any other
perhaps we should take up a collection so a person could be hired to police uselessness of the baja forum

joerover

Member Is Online

Mood: sleepy

posted on 11-12-2011 at 19:59
Safe places to liveż

I recently spent a week in Tecate, without any problems. I wonder if there are any statistics on low crime areas. Sure; the Internet is abuzz with death and destruction. Are there any reports of no crime areas. What I mean is; where can folks that don't drink and smoke hang out in relative safety? We read daily about the junkie that killed for his next fix, and the policia that require a bribe. Where do we read about the old lady who walks around without fear of theft. Are there safe neighborhoods in TJ? Is all of Tijuana dangerous? Is La Paz safe? Where is a safe place to live?

smile

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

posted on 11-12-2011 at 20:18

Try the Southpole.

Antartica is nice and safe this time of year.

[Edited on 11-13-2011 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.skymed.com/loreto

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

Member Is Online

posted on 11-12-2011 at 21:09

Quote:
Originally posted by joerover
What I mean is; where can folks that don't drink and smoke hang out in relative safety?

Church....comes to mind.

Islandbuilder

Member Is Online

posted on 11-12-2011 at 21:20

Quote:
Quote:
What I mean is; where can folks that don't drink and smoke hang out in relative safety?

Church....comes to mind.

Not my church!

sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

posted on 11-12-2011 at 21:27

Come hang with me...kinda like Baja here in the South Bay. Same people, same food, same weather. Only difference is if you get decapitated here, chances are they'll catch the culprits.

THANK YOU VETERANS.

mcfez
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

posted on 11-13-2011 at 07:12
joerover......we will accept you here

You may live long and prosper here on Vulcan

mcfez has attached this image:

Goonies Never Say Die!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

Member Is Online

posted on 11-13-2011 at 07:42

Quote:
Originally posted by Islandbuilder
Not my church!

Not mine either. "Our Lady of Sharky's" is a drinkin', smokin' emporium.

ElCazadorAZ

posted on 11-13-2011 at 08:05

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Try the Southpole.

Antartica is nice and safe this time of year.

Actually, there are monuments to the dead ALL OVER Antarctica. Statistically speaking, number of visitors v. number of deaths is quite high in Antarctica. Summer high at Pole is still around -7F.

For more first-hand info on the coldest, driest, windiest place on Earth, check out bigdeadplace.com

Sorry for OT post. OP, you are looking for a guarantee of security where none exists. Crap posted in the media is for selling of papers, not dissemination of information. Wish I had a better answer for you. H.

"If we're all thinking alike, somebody's not thinking." Gen. George S. Patton

djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow plays the cello...

posted on 11-13-2011 at 13:25
Ask a simple question. . . .

And you're in for it here!!!

Good question, but there is no simple answer.... Really, you're more likely to learn more by taking a winter and traveling the peninsula. EVERY community where people live will have typical people problems... Some towns and cities that have traditionally been "safe" places to live have seen increases in crime - especially property crime because of drugs, difficult economic times, and transience and change.

Some places are generally much safer than others, but not a place you might want to live, so go and explore....

I don't know about "statistics" but perhaps some here have a serious answer for you.... Don't be put off by the wacky answers..... it is just part of the unique character here on Nomad . . . . And even most of the smartarses are still good folks who'd lend a hand to a stranger on need.

D

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn't deducted from one's life.
Peace, Love, and Music

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

posted on 11-13-2011 at 13:54

Try and stay out of the drug trafficing industry... or law enforcement (or between the two of them)!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

My Viva Baja Blog, for the latest trips, photos, and Baja adventures!: http://vivabajablog.blogspot.com/

Finding a lost mission magazine story: http://www.discoverbaja.com/pdf/fall09.pdf

The Spanish Missions & Visitas (facts, photos, directions, satellite images): http://vivabaja.com/bajamissions

See Photos of Baja places: http://vivabaja.com/tours

Visit my Baja web site: http://VivaBaja.com

BajaBlanca
Elite Nomad

posted on 11-13-2011 at 14:05

welcome newbies to BajaNomadLand !!! what some have said is quite right - For example, since we have been here full time (5 years), we have seen one horrendous attempted murder - a purported drug deal gone bad, so..... we think we live in paradise. But, our idea of paradise is an ocean view with no traffic in front at a ridiculously great price, no malls, friendly Mexican neighbors, a dog we cherish who has a huge area to roam freely in, a garden for me to pamper and more....

the very best is for you to travel around .. look for a town size that works for you since TJ and Ensenada are huge, La Paz and Loreto are more middle sized and tiny villages are found all over ... so check out services .... electricity vs solar power ... affordability ... and probably as important as everything else - make sure you like your neighbors LOL

Blanca and Les
Come visit us:http://www.labocanahotel.com

mtgoat666
Elite Nomad

posted on 11-13-2011 at 14:12

Quote:
I wonder if there are any statistics on low crime areas. Where is a safe place to live?

iceland, japan, new zealand, denmark.

----

the USA and Mexico don't come close to joining that list.

USA is safer than Mexico.

----

based on global peace index, a ranking based on 23 factors

-----

p.s. there are no reliable statistics in mexico. the government and all agencies of law enforcement are so screwed up and/or corrupt that their data and pronouncements cannot be trusted. basically, if a stat comes from govt it is probably a lie.

Bajahowodd
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

posted on 11-13-2011 at 15:51

I'm reminded of a "propaganda" video that has been shown on PBS that had Felipe Calderon hosting a travelogue throughout Mexico. In it, at one point, Calderon put up a graphic that purported to show the regions of the country where the violence is a problem. While interesting that the Acapulco area was not highlighted, there were two specific areas that even El Presidente felt comfortable about noting. They were the area surrounding Monterey, and the area East of Mexicali.

motoged
Super Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

posted on 11-13-2011 at 17:05

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
iceland, japan, new zealand, denmark.

Iceland: Bankrupt and full of volcanoes....don't think so;

Japan: If the tsunami or earthquakes don't get ya, the nuclear reactors or Yakuza will...

New Zealand: This guy might not be your best neighbour....he tried to convince me earlier that he was just trying to help the ewe through the gate, but when I saw him on the bike....I realized he was on a date:

[Edited on 11-14-2011 by motoged]

Denmark: Fundamentalist N-zis will slaughter your children...

Best of luck in your quest for safety...

[Edited on 11-14-2011 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....

bajafam
Nomad

Mood: DLTBGYD

posted on 11-14-2011 at 11:31

Not Baja - but related to this post - my friend works at this school. Safe is all relative.

http://www.wmctv.com/story/16034812/millington-high-school-o...

We are a BajaFam!
Michelle - Mama!, Lionel - Daddy!, Bobo - born in the USA!, Mister - born in Baja!

Check out our travel blog @
http://thefamvangurp.blogspot.com

I AM a Mama on a Mission!!
If you'd like to help out, please pm me, otherwise, please ignore the rest of this signature
http://clothdiapermission.blogspot.com
and here's our facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/clothdiapermission

I also sell mark. makeup and clothing!
shop my store at http://www.mymarkstore.com/mvangurp
and like me on facebook
http://www.facebook.com/mightymarkgirl

sancho
Senior Nomad

posted on 11-14-2011 at 13:47

Someone on here once posted, 'everywhere is safe
until it isn't', one could eliminate the entire State
of Baja if you are looking for a SAFE place, there have been incidents in San Quintin, up thru Rosarito to TJ, San Felipe had drug related shootout in a Motel
a couple months back, I'm sure Tecate is not immune. But it hasn't been proven to me that
Cartel violence directly affect the Gringo Tourist at all.
Although granted one argue people rob to support a drug habit. I don't think I'm going out on a limb too far
to suggest that robbery, assualts have taken place
all along in Baja, but with the internet we hear about it the
next day

DanO
Super Nomad

posted on 11-14-2011 at 15:00

Quote:
Quote:

Church....comes to mind.

Damn Dennis, now I gotta go find some paper towels to wipe the Diet Coke off my monitor!

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 05:10 PM

This thread is the most unimaginative, intolerant, elitist, bloviated, arrogant and complete waste of space I've ever seen here.
Who cares if you don't get the answer you're looking for. That merely means no one, to that point, had your answer, but was kind enough to acknowledge your presence at the moment.
Just have some patience. What you're asking will be addressed when the person with the answer sees the question.
In the mean time, lighten up and enjoy the good humor being offered. If you can't do that, send your questions to some church, or someone else who may give a sht.

Have a nice day.
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad

Sort of already works that way... manually though. I take into consideration what gets sent to me (and how much) via the "Report" button - which is on every post here. fyi.

:biggrin:

Thanks, Doug.

I've used that quote button many times.... I'm not sure why I never noticed the "Report" button..... My bad.

DianaT, you're right about the difference between drifting and Snide political bashing.

Lencho, your point about civility, respect, and aggressive acting out being frustrating here are a huge part of why I posted this topic. (for example, Dennis' post just before yours).

Cypress, you've just spent far too much time in N Idaho, neighbor.... I see the Simsons errrrr... I mean Symptoms all the time....

Quote:
This thread is the most unimaginative, intolerant, elitist, bloviated, arrogant and complete waste of space I've ever seen here.
Who cares if . . . .

Dennis, do you ever just think something and keep it to yourself. . . ie., NOT say it? YOU seem to care enough to post, or is it just attention you seek? BTW, The only elitist, intolerant , and arrogant SPUME on this thread is coming from you.... If it is a waste of space, then how about you just butt out and keep yer vile disrespectful foam to your own nasty self. Can't connect the dots between this topic, your offensive behavior, and your "forced vacations" from Nomad?

d

A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by djh
Dennis, do you ever just think something and keep it to yourself. . . ie., NOT say it?

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Yer kiddin'...right? :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Bicho

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 08:07 PM

I am pleased to see :dudette: Diana T responding to this thread. She demonstrates the best use of social rationally aggressive skills in her covert manipulation of how others may view a particular individual, namely David K, along with others, effectively sliding in gossip, slander, teasing, shaming, intimidation and exclusion at every opportunity.

...and she appears to have willing trainees.

It is the weak who are cruel, and gentleness is to be expected only from the strong.

Leo Rosten
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 08:27 PM

Somewhere in that mess, someone asked what we had for dinner. I made shrimp scampi, and it was great. :cool:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bicho
I am pleased to see :dudette: Diana T responding to this thread. She demonstrates the best use of social rationally aggressive skills in her covert manipulation of how others may view a particular individual, namely David K, along with others, effectively sliding in gossip, slander, teasing, shaming, intimidation and exclusion at every opportunity.

...and she appears to have willing trainees.

It is the weak who are cruel, and gentleness is to be expected only from the strong.

Leo Rosten

Dang, I didn't know I had those expert covert skills. Maybe I should apply for the CIA. Any sheep willing to follow? :lol::lol::lol:

djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 09:15 PM
Awwww damn....

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by djh
Dennis, do you ever just think something and keep it to yourself. . . ie., NOT say it?

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Yer kiddin'...right? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hard to be mad at someone who can laugh at themself.... OK, let the lovefest begin....

Well, right after I respond to BichoNewbie's "It is the weak who are cruel" (out of context) bullcarp.... Oh never mind..... I'm goin to bed.

Ok, Dennis.... Group hug :-)

A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2011 at 08:18 AM

Quote:
none of these people should have posted an answer

here is a question about where to live in Baja.
none of the posts answer it
is your intention to drive people away with uselessness?
this page is less monitored than any other
perhaps we should take up a collection so a person could be hired to police uselessness of the baja forum

joerover......again to repeat....we will accept you.
You may live long and prosper here on Vulcan

I agree with a lot of the responses here. I demand change to the BN immediately! Here's a list of no no's that should be enforced:

No humorous replies
No political replies
Religious remarks absolutely nada
I dont like cats...no photos of them.
Dead ducks hunting pictures.....instant bans should be imposed.
Recommended cooking recipes that sounds bad.
Giving away "secret" surf spot locations
Misspelling of the Baja towns...gets a whipping from DavidK
Accusing others of stealing DENNIS's trash can
And of most importance: not addressing McFez as "Sir McFez".

[Edited on 11-26-2011 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-27-2011 at 11:33 AM
Since we're Hijacking ...................

Watching one of the Financial shows ayer, one "Eastern" expert mentioned the Bay area town of Vallejo.

Two things were immediately apparent.

1. He'd NEVER been there.
2. He was "Assuming" that the name (being of Spanish origin) was correctly pronounced when he became the FIRST person I've ever heard to call it "Va-Yea-Ho".

The moderator (in a hint) immediately came back with "Well, in Va-LAY-ho........"

Now, what was the subject ?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-27-2011 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Watching one of the Financial shows ayer, one "Eastern" expert mentioned the Bay area town of Vallejo.

Two things were immediately apparent.

1. He'd NEVER been there.
2. He was "Assuming" that the name (being of Spanish origin) was correctly pronounced when he became the FIRST person I've ever heard to call it "Va-Yea-Ho".

The moderator (in a hint) immediately came back with "Well, in Va-LAY-ho........"

Now, what was the subject ?

Reminds me of a president who (even though is Commander in Chief) hasn't the brains to present a military award to a navy CORPSMAN without repeatedly saying it wrong (the p and s are silent)... and the loving news media ignoring it... but, if a vice president mis-spells potato, God help him!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2011 at 12:51 PM

Vallejo - What's in a name anyway?:

Locals in Northern California have called it Va-Lay-oh for years and years.

One time a new tv reporter called it Va-Lay-Ho, and that kind of stuck. They never got around to calling it by it's original Spanish pronunciation.

John Sutter's name was originally Johann Suter with the long "u" sound. He changed it to Sutter, and nobody ever had a problem with that. It seems that Euro-centric people are more flexible in their namesakes toward the American mainstream. For instance, I do not know of any Americans who've named their sons Sven, Boris, Hertz, Bisquettbarrel, Von, etc. Why is that?

Is it New Or-Leans? or is it New Orl'ns? Well, according to Chuck Berry, Johnny B. Good didn't live in Louisiana down by New Orl'ns, way back up in the woods among the evgr'ns. They were evergreens, and so the town is officially New Or-Leans with the long "e" vowel sound.
TonyC
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2011 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Old people have trouble staying focused. That's why....uh.....um.....oh well, it was there a few seconds ago....I think....anyway.

X2 dennis...exactly.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2011 at 06:14 PM
Stayin on topic here.....

What's for dinner?

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2011 at 06:34 PM

Packoderm, the name of that town is Nawlins.

As for the subject at hand-- and the tone and intention of the hijack.

Back on topic-- just where IS everyone planning to spend Christmas?
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2011 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula

Then just what kind of trees grow in Nawlins? It's certainly not evergreens.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2011 at 07:18 PM

check your U2U

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2011 at 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
Quote:
Originally posted by Paula

Then just what kind of trees grow in Nawlins? It's certainly not evergreens.

Live oaks.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.