Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lazarus - this ones for you Rogelio - fixed
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 11-22-2011 at 08:16 AM
Lazarus - this ones for you Rogelio - fixed

After seeing several pics of your old Minnie Winnie at Erendira, Santa Ynez and now Agua Verde I had to show off my gem a little.

She's a 1984 24' Minnie Winnie on a Chevy 30 chassis with the 6.2L diesel (slow but bulletproof).

Dad bought her in 1991 and lived in it for 20 years or so. He has taken it as far north in Alaska as you can go on the gravel oil company roads. H e had a special windshield screen built and had to take 5 mounted spares (he shredded 6 tires on the trip).

He claims to have 17 trips the length of Baja, so you may have seen her over the years. He was tailgunner for an RV tour company callled Sunshine tours.

He has taken her the entire length of South America to Ushwia sp? Argentina. Had to take a ferry around dangerous Colombia.

Why the name Lazarus? As you may remember, Lazarus of the Bible was dead and Jesus brought him back to life.

Lazarus had a head on collision with a cattle truck in Southern Mexico. After some fine Mexican fabricating work and a new door. She is what she is.

Now shes mine, but we have had many wonderful family trips for many years starting in 1995. I used to have a couple restaurants that owned me, so I couldn't get away for any normal vacations. We would go out to San Elijo State Beach about 3 times a year (always at Thanksgiving). That allowed me to go in to the restaurants every few days.

We still take Lazarus to the desert (Painted Gorge or Superstition) a couple times a year and my wife and I always camp in her for our anniversary.

The shower, hot water heater, generator, AC, heater dont work, but we make due. I often cruise Craiglist looking for her replacement, its coming soon, but its gonna be sad when we take our last trip in Lazarus. I hope to keep her alive to make her final voyage a run to a piece of rented land on a Baja beach.

She's a fine old gal

Lazarus - fixed

Recent desert trip

How about showing off pics off your crusty old campers?

[Edited on 11-22-2011 by Curt63]

No worries
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2011 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
After seeing several pics of your old Minnie Winnie at Erendira, Santa Ynez and now Agua Verde I had to show off my gem a little.

She's a 1984 24' Minnie Winnie on a Chevy 30 chassis with the 6.2L diesel (slow but bulletproof).

Dad bought her in 1991 and lived in it for 20 years or so. He has taken it as far north in Alaska as you can go on the gravel oil company roads. H e had a special windshield screen built and had to take 5 mounted spares (he shredded 6 tires on the trip).

He claims to have 17 trips the length of Baja, so you may have seen her over the years. He was tailgunner for an RV tour company callled Sunshine tours.

He has taken her the entire length of South America to Ushwia sp? Argentina. Had to take a ferry around dangerous Colombia.

Why the name Lazarus? As you may remember, Lazarus of the Bible was dead and Jesus brought him back to life.

Lazarus had a head on collision with a cattle truck in Southern Mexico. After some fine Mexican fabricating work and a new door. She is what she is.

Now shes mine, but we have had many wonderful family trips for many years starting in 1995. I used to have a couple restaurants that owned me, so I couldn't get away for any normal vacations. We would go out to San Elijo State Beach about 3 times a year (always at Thanksgiving). That allowed me to go in to the restaurants every few days.

We still take Lazarus to the desert (Painted Gorge or Superstition) a couple times a year and my wife and I always camp in her for our anniversary.

The shower, hot water heater, generator, AC, heater dont work, but we make due. I often cruise Craiglist looking for her replacement, its coming soon, but its gonna be sad when we take our last trip in Lazarus. I hope to keep her alive to make her final voyage a run to a piece of rented land on a Baja beach.

She's a fine old gal

Lazarus

??
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2011 at 08:30 AM

Great story. Part of the family....eh, Curt.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-22-2011 at 08:32 AM

what is the link supposed to show?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-22-2011 at 08:59 AM
Lazarus...mine was a '79, great outback camper.

Curt, Those mini-winnies are still very popular, as the interior layout made good sense for a Class C camper. Loved mine and took it to places a goat wouldn't go. (especially Agua Verde :rolleyes:

Literally, I took it to where I could get barely squeeze between rocks and trees.

I got bored with the old look, so one day I bought some reg. outside paint...and re-did the old gal. And then dabbed some parrots on her.

Filling up one day soon after that paint job, the Oregon attendant looks at the job..and says with a knowing grin.."House paint, huh?"

Hey, it was on sale and suited me to a T.

The 'Bonk' photo is when my co-pilot was driving in Alaska ...while I was on the john. A bear cub dashed out in front of her...she jammed on the brakes..which popped open the cabinet above the john...and I got bonked HARD1 by a bottle of after shave...Owww! Not so funny at the time, but we laughed at that memory for many years.

Thanks for the reminder, Curt. All great stuff, and I hope you have many years of fun travels ahead in Lazarus.

p.s. Curt, you may have put the wrong photo in your link? It shows young girls having fun.

[Edited on 11-22-2011 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2011 at 09:28 AM

Nice history and story, Curt. More pics?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2011 at 09:45 AM

San Elijo campground is great. Sounds like a b-tchin rig.

[Edited on 11-22-2011 by ateo]

Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 11-22-2011 at 06:51 PM

Bump - fixed pics

No worries

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.