Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Landers, CA
El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2011 at 07:24 PM
Landers, CA

I got to hang out in Landers for a day and night. Landers is north of Yucca Valley. It's draw are the beautiful outdoors, some strangeness, lots of open space and....well, pictures are worth a thousand words, so here we go!

We cruised out of the O.C. (Orange County, CA) early Saturday morning. Rigged up for what may be the final Road Trip of 2011. We found ourselves out in the middle of nowhere. While we thought the desolation was perfect and with no one around, we settled in and did the R&R thing for a while. About a two hour drive from home port to the camp.

Of course, little did we know, others were far ahead of us in this game. I jumped upon the hill to discover fellow campers....sharing in the vibe!

I guess the area is a popular urban escape spot. For recreation, visitors take aim at targets (bottles and cans, other things) less than 20 feet away, to shoot firearms. For fun. As a lover (not a fighter) and a pacifist, I don't get it. But I value true openness and tolerance...so we got to listen to gunshots most the day we were in camp.:o

For a fun respite, we went for a Sound Bath at the Integratron. Very cool!

Wow! I'm definitely gonna do this again. How relaxing, rejuvenating and b-tchen a feeling I got out of that!

The grounds are awesome and the structures reminded me of my construction campaign I've had in Baja...for the last 30 or so years!!!:yes:

Once out of there, we opted to see the Big, Jumbo or Giant Rock that must be a true hot spot. Evidently, this is a draw for many. Even those of us who may have a thing for tagging, or dune buggying, or hangin' out drinking....with guns...:O, I like it!

I was thankful to be a very lucky man. :saint:

After the big rock, we cruised the "runway". I believe it was built to provide a place for extraterrestial transportation methods (spaceships) to land. :cool:

We took in downtown Landers to fetch bebidas and snacks.

Then went back to camp to party the RV a bit:tumble: The next morning we woke to the shotgun alarm clocks and took off for a hike up "Goat Mtn."

Killer views of an awesome desert!

...then back to check out the Big, Jumbo, Giant Rock again...this time sans the crowds.

Awesome Rock! We scratched camp and headed for the homestead, but not without stopping for a date shake and lunch with leftover camp grub!

After crawlin' back to my crib in beautiful Santa Monica and chasin' a storm, the entire weekend was proven to be memorable. I will do Landers again!

A great contrast to the City of Angels!...and a wonderful way to get out of town!

Best regards, and Peace to all! Happy Holiday Season!

[Edited on 12-1-2011 by El Vergel]
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 11-24-2011 at 08:32 AM

Thanks for this post. Great pics. I don't know what draws me to places like this. So barren and beautiful. I've been exploring the desert areas of Arizona and Utah for the past few years.
And yes, you are a very lucky man!
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 11-24-2011 at 08:44 AM

Great little place to get away... thanks for sharing.. great shots..

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-24-2011 at 08:49 AM

That was really good trip report stuff Vern! I guess you found your 'Inner Hippie' out there?! Any lost missions to go with the UFO space port?

Thank you amigo, and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2011 at 09:28 AM

Landers is kinda cool. It gets a bit of snow in the winter and boils in the summer.
As a desert community, it's been there for quite a while. An area full of five acre homesteads that the government gave away some years back.
It's trying to catch up with the times though.......a few nice homes, rising property values and crime. Just like a vacation house in Mexico....don't leave anything there you can't afford to lose.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-24-2011 at 09:49 AM

reminds me of 4 wheeling in Yucca Valley/29 Palms. we'd get into some really outta the way places and always heard the gunshots, too! cool trip!

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2011 at 09:50 AM

Than you---that was great. It has been many, many years since I was in that area----we need to go. I am guessing that it is even more isolated during the middle of the week, I hope.

Thanks for sharing what looked like a great weekend for you and your family.

[Edited on 11-24-2011 by DianaT]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-24-2011 at 10:12 AM

I am wondering how many Nomads came to earth, at Landers?:biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2011 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

I think MrBill lives in Yucca Valley. Does that count?
ddawson
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2011 at 10:49 AM

Very cool post. I saw a recent episode of Anthony Bourdain in Landers and he visited the Integratron. I've been wanting to go check it out.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 11-25-2011 at 10:15 AM
not BAJA nomads but....

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

The fabled Giant Rock had attracted the first native nomads hundreds of years before settlements rose from the dusty ground. The granite stone and surrounding ground had been held as holy ground by the Native Americans. It is reported that the Hopi knew of this rock and joined other tribes across the desert to convene and celebrate the coming seasons. Shaman drew spiritual strength for the tribes through this rock. It is also said that the magic in the rock represents the heart of Mother Earth. It is also thought to be the world's largest freestanding boulder --- at about seven stories high and covers 5,800 square feet of ground.

Bob Durrell
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-25-2011 at 10:27 AM

I used to fly into Giant Rock back in the '60's-----in an airplane not a flying saucer. There was a restaurant there back then and a permanent resident-------I don't see any buildings there in these pics-------are they all gone now??

Great trip report, and photos. Love that area, and "the Rock".

Barry
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2011 at 11:24 AM

This is just a fantastic trip report... here's more info on this Giant Rock (that, now I must put on my bucket list)

Giant Rock

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coordinates: 34.332813°N 116.388723°W

The Giant Rock near Landers, CA
Giant Rock is a large freestanding boulder in the Mojave Desert near Landers, California, that covers 5,800 square feet (540 m2) of ground and is seven stories high.

In ancient times it was considered sacred by the Native Americans of the Joshua Tree, California, area. In the 1950s it was a gathering point for UFO believers. It is located on land which was at that time leased by George Van Tassel, a purported flying-saucer contactee and organizer of UFO conventions.[1] Van Tassel also built the nearby Integratron and a small airport in the vicinity, which he operated from 1947 to 1975. A single large room, which was subsequently filled in, was dug beneath the rock and resided in by a prospector named Frank Critzer during the 1930s and early 1940s. Critzer, a friend of Van Tassel's, perished in a self-detonated dynamite explosion in this room on July 24, 1942, while being investigated by local police.[2] Shortly after the turn of the 21st century, Giant Rock fractured in two, revealing an interior of white granite. The entire exterior surface of the rock is now reportedly covered in graffiti.[3]

[edit] References

1.^ "Life on other planets: The house the Venusians built". The Independent, UK. May 5, 2006. Retrieved 2009-08-21.
2.^ Ed Ainsworth, Plans For 'Out of This World' Laboratory In Desert Disclosed (Los Angeles Times: June 17, 1954), pg.A1.
3.^ "Life on other planets: The house the Venusians built". The Independent, UK. May 5, 2006. Retrieved 2009-08-21.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-25-2011 at 11:51 AM

Probably the most interesting, non-Baja trip report I have seen on Nomads.

I gotta ask...........is that a Big Rainbow or a Lemon Oxheart tomato on that sammy???? :lol:

Everything else makes perfect sense.................:o

[Edited on 11-25-2011 by Hook]

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2011 at 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Probably the most interesting, non-Baja trip report I have seen on Nomads.

[Edited on 11-25-2011 by Hook]

I have to agree!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 09:46 PM

There is something about this report that makes me want to go there.

Best part is I can start out in Victorville. Have to give it a try.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.