Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Pole Line Road, Caņon del Diablo, & La Bufadora
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 11-27-2011 at 04:11 PM
Returning to Hwy 3 via La laguna del Diablo

After a brief look at the nature in this canyon, we decided to return to our vehicles at the staging area and travel the mud-covered Laguna Diablo.

Back at the staging area, we're ready for the long road to Ensenada.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

eureka.gif posted on 11-27-2011 at 04:22 PM
Running opposite of the SCORE INTERNATIONAL route, we easily reached the opposite end of Laguna del Diablo and Highway 3.

The high banks of the Laguna Diablo trail.

Here comes Avi and Benny!:cool:

The mud-hardened Laguna del Diablo.

My shock absorber had lost its' hardware. Before airing up the tires, I reinstalled everything by the light of the sun (thankfully).

Looking back at the Laguna del Diablo and the Caņon del Diablo.

Airing up the tires.

A roadside shrine.

Benny and Avi watching me air up the tires before we said our, "Goodbye's".

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 11-27-2011 at 04:25 PM
Later that night, we reached ENSENADA!

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2011 at 10:08 PM

Ken so you couldn't reach the waterfall.. and did the army had the check point in the dry lake bed..

[Edited on 11-28-2011 by BAJACAT]

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-27-2011 at 11:48 PM

Yah, I wondered why no waterfall pics, or the rope ladder up the granite face for climbers heading up the canyon...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 06:45 PM

We reached some pools of water created by the newly constructed dam where I was pictured with Leidys. These pools of water prevented us from hiking up the rocks, because we would have soaked our boots and this would have affected our ability to climb on the rocks to the larger pools of water. For this reason, we chose to turn around. As it was 2:30 p.m., we think it was prudent that we walked out at that time rather than later...possibly with wet feet.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
We reached some pools of water created by the newly constructed dam where I was pictured with Leidys. These pools of water prevented us from hiking up the rocks, because we would have soaked our boots and this would have affected our ability to climb on the rocks to the larger pools of water. For this reason, we chose to turn around. As it was 2:30 p.m., we think it was prudent that we walked out at that time rather than later...possibly with wet feet.

Ken-------You are supposed to remove your boots, sling them around your neck, and put on your Tevas which you always carry in your backpack when hiking up wild canyons, and forge ahead. :spingrin:

barry
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke

Ken-------You are supposed to remove your boots, sling them around your neck, and put on your Tevas which you always carry in your backpack when hiking up wild canyons, and forge ahead. :spingrin:

barry

Not this time, Barry. Trips to the larger pools will have to wait for another adventure. :lol:

jadams
Junior Nomad

Mood: wish I was at the campo

[*] posted on 11-30-2011 at 09:30 AM

your photos are great, you should send them to Jeep for ads
Jim
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 11-30-2011 at 04:57 PM
Last leg = La Bufadora

The road leading to La Bufadora leads through an agricultural region dotted with vacation homes and vacation lodging. The bay looks north directly to Ensenada and the port which receives tourists who arrive in the La Bufadora tourist center by the busload.

Looking north

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2011 at 05:03 PM
Rounding the tip of the peninsula, heading south leads to the tiny La Bufadora village and world-famous "blow-hole"

The home of many tourism cliche's - but, my Wife loves this place...

Due to the tides being calm, the water was not blowing as if it were a geyser. This is Leidys and I on our last leg of our adventure.

Some people are actually attracted to this sort of place.LOL

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2011 at 05:09 PM
The inevitable return trip...NORTH

Every Baja adventure must come to a close, and ours was now at its' end. Returning north included several stops along the way...Including this stop on our way back to Ensenada.

This region made me think of this beach-inspired Ballaric tune.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2011 at 05:14 PM
Baja's roadside beauty

At this junction, Leidys asked how far it would be for us to drive to see Ron Hoff and his family. She really is looking forward to visiting San Quintin again.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2011 at 05:22 PM
Driving north, I wondered how relevant the shocking news articles were as the beauty of Baja continued along Hwy 1.

The beauty of La Salina is still present despite the recent development of this once pristine beach.

New developments are unoccupied whereas the old, characteristic ones are filled with families and carry the ubiquitous charm of this region.

New/Abandoned developments such as this one dots the coastline all of the way to Playas de Tijuana.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2011 at 05:27 PM
End of thread...until our next BAJA Adventure!

After a brief dinner at the Downtown Tijuana McDonalds, Leidys and I walked the streets of Tijuana before going home.

Leidys at the First Street Plaza - Downtown Tijuana

Notice, the front license plate is missing. :!: This is a result of the washboard road near Hwy 5. The thing simply rattled off. We were not hassled because of this, but I plan on replacing the plate within the next couple of weeks.

Leidys getting into the trail-worn, but reliable Jeep Rubicon.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-30-2011 at 07:13 PM

Thank you for the photo filled trip report Ken...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2011 at 11:32 AM
an epic adventure

Wow, what a journey!

Thanks for sharing in pictures and words with us.

What a beautiful and wild land. Your account surmises why we love it so.

One question: I know this was a rough and tumble trek, so how does Leidys manage to always look fresh & clean, stunningly gorgeous like she just stepped out of the pages of the latest Cabela's Outfitters catalogue?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2011 at 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
One question: I know this was a rough and tumble trek, so how does Leidys manage to always look fresh & clean, stunningly gorgeous like she just stepped out of the pages of the latest Cabela's Outfitters catalogue?

The answer to this question is simple: Leidys carefully screens her photos!:yes:

Mission Santa Maria (near Rancho Santa Ynez) and not a dot of persperation on a 93 deg.F day.

Looking cool in the city!:yes:

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 12-1-2011 at 06:30 PM

Outstanding photo essay Ken! Looks like you guys had another great trip in Baja. Thanks for sharing all the pics.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2011 at 10:20 PM

Ken did you recover the plate or you lost it.If you did they would not let you have the same plates..they told me that when I pick my personal places, you have to come up with a new set of letters for the new plate.

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.