BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Englebert Hotel La Paz (SEIZED)
Cyndarouh
Nomad

mad.gif posted on 9-21-2004 at 09:26 AM
Englebert Hotel La Paz (SEIZED)

I just got a call that the goverment has taken over the Englebert Hotel in La Paz. They need help with foster homes for dogs. Alaska Air will fly them up to TJ any one need a Dog or know any thing about this? We will be in contact with them today.

[Edited on 9-21-2004 by Cyndarouh]

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2004 at 09:57 AM
Was the Englebert Hotel

a dog kennel or something ?:?:
Cyndarouh
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2004 at 10:05 AM
La Paz Dog Rescue

Jacqlene (SP) Has a dog and cat rescue she runs with the help of Englebert . I work with a rescue that helps place them in the US and where ever. Armed (aprox 20,) people came and kicked her out. She barley got the critters and her stuff out.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2004 at 10:23 AM
Damn Cindy

no previous notice, no nuthin ?? Please keep us posted.
Cyndarouh
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2004 at 10:38 AM

I will have more of the story later today after I visit the rescue I help with. They will be calling down to La Paz to arrange the flights Mon. for the dogs being sent up. Will post more when I get the info. Was just seeing if anyone for the area knew of this. Nothing was in the Gringo G.

Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 9-21-2004 at 08:00 PM
Hi Cyndarouh

Plese let us know what happened. That is our favorite place in La Paz and we had planned on being there for my husbands birthday Oct 10. Please keep us posted. u2u if no one else is interested. k:(
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2004 at 07:13 AM
Please post info

Please post any info you get. These are wonderful people and their efforts with dog rescue are to be commended. I can't imagine (well, with local politics...) why this would happen. This is a beautiful place and has been there for years. I suspect..., oh well, please let us know. Thanks.
synch
Nomad

Mood: wandering...

[*] posted on 9-22-2004 at 08:10 AM

I've always been warned about eating tacos in TJ. Probably just my odd friends claiming the meat comes from dogs.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2004 at 08:54 AM
Synch

Cynda is very sensitive about these projects that she is involved with. I see your humor but she may not at a time like this.:light:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-22-2004 at 06:52 PM

My amigos from Oaxaca guarantee me that dog is used in tacos... sorry Cindi.

It seems beef although plentifull all over Mexico is mostly exported for more $$$, and is too expensive to many in Mexico.

So, squirrel, dog, cat, skunk are all substitute sources for meat (I was told). Perhaps why fish tacos are so popular!

[Edited on 9-23-2004 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2004 at 10:14 PM
While Flaco and I were working down south

He was listening to a Hermosillo radio program which he did every day.
A restaurant somewhere in Mexico had just been busted after a two year investigation. For serving carne de humano in their tamales. Serious !
And, one of the Chinese restaurants here in Rosarito was busted a few years ago because all the cats in the neighborhood were disappearing. Not so serious.
And I just had a conversation with my neighbors tonight about, wondering which tastes better as we are eyeing each other suspiciously:lol:
And this after watching a special on Borneo and the head hunters today. Interesting.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-22-2004 at 10:39 PM

Yes, be very careful when making friends with cannibals, and they tell you they would LOVE to have you over, for dinner!:lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 9-23-2004 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

movinguy
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2004 at 07:17 AM
And back to the subject . . .

Any more info on why the hotel was seized???
Cyndarouh
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2004 at 07:44 AM
Funny Guys!

I posted to see if some one in La Paz would help us. I am very aware of what Taco's are made of! This is more about people, Wonderful people and Human rights. Along with the rights of Critters we humans tend to leave behind. Last word is yes the hotel is seized. As soon as they give me perrmision to use names and such I will post. Were having a hard time getting threw on the phone at this time. Have fun with your Tacos I do see your Humor. But shame on you using something so serious to find Humor such as taco meat!!

[Edited on 9-23-2004 by Cyndarouh]
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2004 at 09:27 AM
Sorry Cynda

We do care about the plight of the dogs. In fact, I may have a place for a couple of them as I said.
But as far as plights go, I think there were a few mighty upset relatives of missing people when they busted that tamale restaurant.:O
Do yu want me to try calling from down here ?
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2004 at 09:36 AM

We stayed there a month ago during our quarterly shopping trip and there wasnt even a hint of a problem.

This sure makes it tougher, we always take our dog with us and that was a great place for pooches.

You say it has been seized, but is it still open and being run by the government?

Thanks for any further info.
Cyndarouh
Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 9-24-2004 at 07:03 AM
Update on Hotel Seizure

We got threw yesterday. The people that were thown out at gun point say they will get the hotel back. The man that took over the hotel is now answering the phone. I called, his side is he bought the hotel at Auction 4.5 years ago. he said the hotel will open Nov. 1st. Friends say this is not true. This is all I know and some how this will, I hope, work out for the best for our Wonderful Friends. We are having some of the dogs and cats sent up here since there is not enough time to place them and no where to keep them long term in La Paz. No Taco's from these critters.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2004 at 09:03 AM
How about the guy

that said he bought the place. According to some, mighty fine tamales can be made from do badders !:O

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.