Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja Pro's and Con's
castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 11:17 AM
Baja Pro's and Con's

I have been a member for quite awhile and while I am not a prolific poster like some I usually check the forums multiple times each day.
It seems recently there is a lot more "vigorous debate" regarding the Pro's and Con's of Baja. Maybe it is just a guage of the general disatisfaction people seem to have with our current politcal and economic situation and it manifests itself into a polarizing outlet with Baja taking the brunt because this is a common ground for us that are members of this cyber society.
Unfortunatley what happens more often now it seems is that the discussion gets heated, turns personal and people leave or lurk and quit contributing, Jesse being a good example.
There are multiple topic areas that don't get used, Baja 'toons and Baja travel packages are good examples, would it be possible to turn one of those into a forum to debate the pro's and con's of Baja?
I think there should be an outlet to inform everyone that is a member or just visits the site to learn about Baja and some of the negative aspects one might encounter on an adventure to the peninsula.
There certainly are a lot more positive aspects ( at least I think so), but those that bring up the negativity have a right to expose their opinions to everyone and the problem seems to be that people on the other end of the spectrum become offended that someone is attacking their beloved Baja.
Now I am not naive and I know posts that offend others because they are not positive in nature will still be placed under other topics but this could be a place for the moderators to move them to and it would be like Off topic- enter at your own risk.
Hopefully over time people would just start posting the topics discussing the pro's and con's in the appropriate area and the rest of us wouldn't have to be exposed to arguments that ensue.
Another feature might be to steal from Facebook and just allow an individual to block all posts from those members that they don't like or are offended by their posts.
Personally I love this site and I love Baja, this site is my primary resource to keep up on whats going on good or bad and I hate seeing members that are contributors get frustrated and leave.
Anybody else have ideas that could improve the site and help us all play together in the sandbox without offending others?

Live Indubiously!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 11:19 AM

Quote:

Baja Pro's and Con's

Nuts. I was expecting a lively thread about hoars and jailbirds. :bounce:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by castaway$
would it be possible to turn one of those into a forum to debate the pro's and con's of Baja?

I think that would be wonderful....if it would work although I don't believe it would.
People here don't have discussions, per se. They speak in sound-bites just to make what they feel is a point, and their imaginary audience doesn't even begin to listen to opposing arguements with any kind of open mind or objectivity.
It's a very selfish, me me me me method of communication.

The Pros and Cons don't mix well here and people don't come here to have their notions debated. They only want to make their point and if this was a forgiving, open minded round table, we wouldn't have the feces fights.

It's just the way people seem to be when they become faceless.

Just my opinion.

[Edited on 12-4-2011 by DENNIS]
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 11:38 AM

On the Pro side, you can drive your own vehicle down. On the con side, food prices aren't much different than north of the border.
castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 12:01 PM

"I think that would be wonderful....if it would work although I don't believe it would." (messed up trying to use the quote function)

You may be right it would come down to whether or not people would use it to post threads that have a negative content or they are trying to incite an argument.
It's funny how some people morph when they are under the influence of "cyber courage", if you met them in person they wouldn't have the b@lls to say some of the things you read here to your face.
Do you think it would work to have the ability to block posts on an individual basis from those that you don't like their posts?

[Edited on 12-4-2011 by castaway$]

[Edited on 12-4-2011 by castaway$]

Live Indubiously!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 12:03 PM

Gasoline is a dollar a gallon LESS in Baja!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 12:44 PM

Pros: Great fish tacos

Cons: I have to drive from British Columbia to get them

Don't believe everything you think....
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 12:55 PM

Pro side. Friendly local/people. Con. Too many expats/seasonals from Kalifornia!:yes:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Do you think it would work to have the ability to block posts on an individual basis from those that you don't like their posts?

I think that could be helpful. Most of us know that responding to the trolls just feeds the problem, but it's hard to resist once we actually see the bait. There are certain posters here whom I suspect the majority would simply blackhole if they could, instantly reducing their attention-attracting ability [no audience] the point it might not be worthwhile for them to keep spewing... :)

Yeah....you know in advance that a persons post will ruin your day, but you just can't resist opening it. Probaly the masochist in us all.
Anyway....we all have the power to resist and ignore, and don't require the assistance of a machine to do that.

"Just say NO." Thank you, Nancy.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 01:17 PM

Pros: Baja is full of hot women! :):):)

Mengano
Banned

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 01:18 PM

Quote:
It's funny how some people morph when they are under the influence of "cyber courage", if you met them in person they wouldn't have the b@lls to say some of the things you read here to your face.

I've seen it work both ways here. You seem to only be addressing the outrageous "negative" posts you disagree with. There are quite a few outrageous "positive" posts here also. I have seen BajaNomads swear that the medical system in Mexico is better than in the US. I have seen BajaNomads offer up for sale overpriced homes on worthless titles on ejido lands. I have seen warnings about dealing with certain American business people in Baja that were totally warranted and justified as they were outright crooks who ripped-off many an innocent gringo. I have seen many warnings about gas station ripoffs.

The only way to drill down to the truth is to let all sides speak and let an intelligent reader make a decision based upon all the data...not the filtered data. If you split off the "negatives" to their own thread, how would a reader find a rebuttal argument to an outright "positive" lie? If you want only happy thoughts, there are many, many Mexico related message boards that are monitored and censored. They are all operated by people who make a living one way or another from marketing Mexico.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 01:23 PM

Without a discussion of ALL ... what fun would it be... just saying...

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 02:15 PM

Pros: The food and freedom from the bloodsucking lawyers who have spoiled the fun of recreational risk taking Stateside.

Cons: Baja doesn't stretch your dollar like it used to (with the current exception of the peso being 13:1), the God awful drivers, and having to keep your situational awareness level set on "High" all the time (becomes emotionally draining).

No board censors please. The tone of the posts change when Baja changes. I've noticed that over the years. Some of us are stubborn, but most of us are not idiots. Accepting change is hard for some. The "overly positive" posts usually get a reality check response with multiple "eye-rolling" smiles. Bad behavior is generally confronted and the offender trashed in OT. At times it's just a sandbox for the big kids and not everyone plays fair or nice. If you want to play in a classy environment- join Baja Nomads on Facebook.

[Edited on 12-4-2011 by Woooosh]

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 02:39 PM

I don't think this was a request for Pros and Cons, but a suggestion for how to deal with them when they caused problems.
That's what I think, anyway. Could be wrong, but that's just what I think. :saint:
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 02:50 PM

no one reads long posts Dennis.

:D:D

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
On the Pro side, you can drive your own vehicle down. On the con side, food prices aren't much different than north of the border.

I beg to differ with regard to food prices. The food in San Felipe was very economical - I was surprised by the low(er) prices there at El Colorado and The Green House.

Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 06:38 PM

Pro

EMPTY coastline

Nuff said

No worries
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh

Ohhh...yeah. I forgot. :lol:
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Gasoline is a dollar a gallon LESS in Baja!

I noticed this RIGHT AWAY! You simply can't beat the great deals, IMO...

Great food abounds as well..Asadero Morlan numero 2 - Hwy 2 - El Progreso (Mexicali), BCN, MEX.

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.