BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Cultural ? re: breast feeding
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 10:12 PM
Its all about personal choice...

As a Doctor you need to accept others' decisions about their bodies. I gather you would never accept and even become angry and militant at a mother that would come in and say, I don't want to breast feed my baby.
Quote:
Originally posted by bajafam
I guess we all come from different backgrounds. I was raised not to be ashamed of the human body and it's functions...feeding or farting, if you must place them on the same plate so to speak. We are raising our children in the same manner. I'm proud to say that when my kids see a nursing mother, they say aww...that mama is feeding her baby, not holy crap! look at the lady's boobs!
bajafam
Senior Nomad

Mood: DLTBGYD

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 10:18 PM

No, I wouldn't, but I would try to figure out why not....I have the fortune of having two children....first one was formula fed because I was scared, nervous, underinformed and had no help or encouragement; second one was breastfed because I was determined to do it. In my own experience (and I am NOT a Doctor!!) my friends that didn't breastfeed did not have the support. There are a million and a half myths and fallacies about breastfeeding. I would show them both sides. I know that there are many women who just aren't able to do it. My mother was one, and I was too, with my daughter. BUT, the more research I did, I discovered that what I thought was just me not able, was really just me not having the information, and I am convinced it was the same with my mom.

Check out our travel blog @
http://thefamvangurp.blogspot.com

Scentsy!! Because real life is smelly. https://itsamightysmellyworld.scentsy.us

Check out my latest article ~ https://vegbyte.com/vegan-eyeliner/

The cookbooks essential to Baja Trippin' ~ https://vegbyte.com/vegan-mexican-cookbooks/
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 10:22 PM
Maybe not..

Hard to believe, but there are mothers out there that don't like the inconvenience and for that reason, decide to bottle feed. Could you accept that type of mother??
Quote:
No, I wouldn't, but I would try to figure out why not....I have the fortune of having two children....first one was formula fed because I was scared, nervous, underinformed and had no help or encouragement; second one was breastfed because I was determined to do it. In my own experience (and I am NOT a Doctor!!) my friends that didn't breastfeed did not have the support. There are a million and a half myths and fallacies about breastfeeding. I would show them both sides. I know that there are many women who just aren't able to do it. My mother was one, and I was too, with my daughter. BUT, the more research I did, I discovered that what I thought was just me not able, was really just me not having the information, and I am convinced it was the same with my mom.
bajafam
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 10:31 PM

I WAS that type of mother!!

And then, when I breastfed, it was amazing how much more convenient it was! I didn't have to lug all the fixin's to make milk....I just made it! It wasn't all sunshine and rainbows, it was difficult at times....a lot of times! And I don't have to accept that "type of mother" nor do I have to shun her. Yes, it's a personal choice, but I think that that "choice" is often influence by well meant erroneous advice. I certainly don't look down on those that formula feed, but I do wonder what brought them to that choice...and it's sad when embarrassment is the root of it, especially when that embarrassment is perpetuated by society and it's so-called "norms".

The cookbooks essential to Baja Trippin' ~ https://vegbyte.com/vegan-mexican-cookbooks/
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 10:39 PM
We all have feelings...

Quote:
Embarrassment is NOT what I was referring to...you keep harping on that as if it was a crime, I certainly am not embarrassed about being embarrassed, albeit that people such as yourself make it out to be a crime so someone not as secure as myself might never admit to their shortcomings. I am certainly not perfect, and I certainly would never jump down a person's throat or taunt them if they admitted a feeling of inadequacy or doubt...especially a patient...there are people that don't prefer breastfeeding for no other reason than sticking a bottle in a kids mouth is easier than saving and pumping their own milk...might not be the best choice, but there it is...whew...I'm glad I'm not perfect so at least I can have some compassion on others feelings of doubt or shame....and who aren't perfect either...quote]Originally posted by bajafam
I WAS that type of mother!!

And then, when I breastfed, it was amazing how much more convenient it was! I didn't have to lug all the fixin's to make milk....I just made it! It wasn't all sunshine and rainbows, it was difficult at times....a lot of times! And I don't have to accept that "type of mother" nor do I have to shun her. Yes, it's a personal choice, but I think that that "choice" is often influence by well meant erroneous advice. I certainly don't look down on those that formula feed, but I do wonder what brought them to that choice...and it's sad when embarrassment is the root of it, especially when that embarrassment is perpetuated by society and it's so-called "norms".
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 10:41 PM

Ms Loren gets a lesson in humility.

femalerivalry.jpg - 47kB
bajafam
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 10:53 PM

No where did I say that embarrassment is a crime. BUT it is detrimental, especially when it comes to something such as breastfeeding....believe me, I have had experiences where someone has forced their embarrassment on me, and made me to feel as though I was doing something wrong when I was feeding my baby. I fed my baby in a restroom once because someone looked at me with such disdain....and then I realized the ridiculousness of the situation and refused to do that ever again. I want others to come to a similar realization, so that they aren't forced to feed their child in a restroom, or under a hot, stuffy blanket.

Of course, not everyone WANTS to breastfeed, but I can tell you that having a nurse stick a bottle in your hour old infant's mouth doesn't help. Having someone tell you that nursing your child is disgusting and that photos of your child nursing are indecent doesn't help. And it doesn't help those that are new mothers and unsure of what to do either. I believe that society has moved in a negative direction when it comes to the topic of feeding our young. Be it steeped in misplaced sexuality, embarrassment, whatever....and that makes me sad.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 11:23 PM
Feelings of shame...

Oh, so you do realize how someone can make you feel embarrassed? The same as you saying, "I don't see how a DOCTOR could feel embarrassed" wow, maybe by making someone feel small by criticizing their feelings, they might just decide never to reveal their feelings to anyone again just like the women who looked at you in disgust in the restroom made you feel like you never wanted to breastfeed in public...is this maybe and eye for an eye..or is it trying to assassinate someone's career by making them feel that as a professional, they can never feel inadequate or doubtful, or god forbid...embarrassed?? Yes certainly you are right, it is detrimental to anyone to not allow them to express what certainly others might be feeling as well...by making them feel inadequate..makes me sad too that society has moved into a negative direction by belittliing others...
Quote:
No where did I say that embarrassment is a crime. BUT it is detrimental, especially when it comes to something such as breastfeeding....believe me, I have had experiences where someone has forced their embarrassment on me, and made me to feel as though I was doing something wrong when I was feeding my baby. I fed my baby in a restroom once because someone looked at me with such disdain....and then I realized the ridiculousness of the situation and refused to do that ever again. I want others to come to a similar realization, so that they aren't forced to feed their child in a restroom, or under a hot, stuffy blanket.

Of course, not everyone WANTS to breastfeed, but I can tell you that having a nurse stick a bottle in your hour old infant's mouth doesn't help. Having someone tell you that nursing your child is disgusting and that photos of your child nursing are indecent doesn't help. And it doesn't help those that are new mothers and unsure of what to do either. I believe that society has moved in a negative direction when it comes to the topic of feeding our young. Be it steeped in misplaced sexuality, embarrassment, whatever....and that makes me sad.
bajafam
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 11:34 PM

1. the embarrassment of those looks made me not want to feed in a restroom again. I wasn't the one doing wrong, so therefore from that moment on, I refused to let others embarrassment relegate my actions.
2. I just didn't understand how a professional, a doctor, could feel embarrassed because a mother was nursing....seems like the perfect opportunity to give that mama kudos for doing a great job feeding her child.
3. if my not understanding your embarrassment belittles you, I am sorry. It wasn't my intention at all. I'm sure that you are a fine doctor. You need not give up your profession because I disagree or am confused by your reaction.
4. a mama who makes an informed choice to feed her child, whatever that choice may be (as long as it's informed), is not inadequate. I just feel that many decisions that mothers must make are heavily influenced by what someone else says is right or wrong, not by what actually IS right or wrong. and by no means am I saying that formula feeding is wrong....but you know as well as I do, that the breast is best for the baby.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 07:46 AM
Santiago

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
What in the wide, wide world of sports has happened to my thread? I just wanted to know what the cultural sensibilities are here. sheesh.

More than you ever wanted to know...................

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 07:53 AM

Mulegena: Perfect response, thanks.
RE: Skippies photo: I've often wondered if that 'scene' wasn't set up - it's just the perfect time for the shutter to open. Anyone know who the photographer was?
BG: No kidding.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Anyone know who the photographer was?

Joe Shere.

http://tinyurl.com/79e8fah

[Edited on 12-6-2011 by DENNIS]
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 09:31 AM

While as a male I am not able to breast feed myself I am willing to hold the "bottle" ! !!

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 10:02 AM

I have seen a lot of breast feeding in public in Mexico and USA, so no big deal in either country. My wife breast feed our sons until she went back to work and trying to fill bottles with milk for the next day until she got home in evening was just too much for her. So, breast feeding definately not wrong but does require good support to carry it off. Nobody needs to get mad, embrassed or upset over what is just really the way nature intended it to be done! Now, everyone take a deep breath and "Let It Be Let It Be," LOL Take Care & Travel Safe----"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
"Sensitive" is a funny word-- I've often seen it used as a putdown, especially when referring to males.

Often? Really?
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 11:20 AM

Santiago, here's wishing your young family friends a wonderful holiday visit. They'll be creating fabulous memories for themselves and their children which will be of influence their whole lives.

Christmas time is a great time to enjoy the special events here such as the posadas through town in the evenings in which the procession represents Mary and Joseph seeking shelter in Bethlehem. Its often accompanied by the Dance of the Deer, a ritual which pre-dates Christianity, a young man in the procession dressed and dancing as a deer.

I'm sure they'll be made to feel comfortable and welcome wherever they travel.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 11:30 AM

Sooo..after all that, what we have established is that breast feeding in public is accepted....as long as the players are out of sight.
What a totally marooonic conclusion.

Perhaps our next challenge should be to establish at what age one becomes too old to breast feed.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 11:44 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol: should just about be time for Sharkey's... thanks for the wake up Dennis.. :biggrin::biggrin:

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I don't know how you came to that conclusion..I never suggested anything of the kind.
Quote:
just seemed to me that you were slightly appalled at the mama feeding her nursling in front of you and that they should be feeding their babies formula, but only nursed because they couldn't afford it.

[Edited on 12-6-2011 by EnsenadaDr]

Ditto's...

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I don't know how you came to that conclusion..I never suggested anything of the kind.

It just seemed to be the general consensus. Most here stated that, since they saw it happen, it must be the universally popular thing to do.
I still believe differently. The male population in Mexico is way too macho prudish to allow it to be socially accepted since some of these nursing mothers are wives as well.

I hope I'm not offending those here who think I have too many posts, but that's just tough sht.
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.