BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: What California Road are we on?
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 09:58 PM
What California Road are we on?

We are on the road in California---left San Diego yesterday morning. While we have seen lots of "shoe trees", we have not seen one with pink boots that really stand out.

This is the first time we have driven this road from Highway5 to 101, but surely there is someone else who has seen these delightful pink boots polluting this beautiful oak tree. :biggrin:

It is always good to take a new to us road.

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 10:16 PM

The 126 through Santa Paula?

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 10:43 PM

Reminds me of the tree on old RT 66 east of Amboy that is filled with shoes. Which reminds me of the one next to it that has lady`s undergarments hanging all over it!!! Now THAT is a tree!!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
The 126 through Santa Paula?

Good guess

Much further north---first day out was a rocket run north. :biggrin:

And Born Fisher, no undergarment tree on this road---at least not one that we saw. :biggrin:

[Edited on 12-5-2011 by DianaT]

nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 07:50 AM

Just outside Reno.............my daughters are up there somewhere!!!! Nancy
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 08:30 AM

The road to perdition? :biggrin:
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nbacc
Just outside Reno.............my daughters are up there somewhere!!!! Nancy

Reno, California.:?::?::?::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Reno, California.:?::?::?::biggrin:

Ohhh...you didn't hear about the earthquake? :lol:
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 10:12 AM

58 west of McKittrick?
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 11:06 AM

Hwy 58 is a good guess....I was thinking the Shandon/ Cholame area on Hwy 41 might work too.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 12:17 PM

Highway 395 north of Reno just into CA.??????? (East side of the road)

Barry
Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 01:01 PM

North of Hwy 126, there are only a few roads that go from 5 to 101. Hwy 33/166 will take you to Santa Maria, but looking in the background, the terrain does not really match. Next one would be Hwy 46 going over to Paso Robles. I would put my 2 cents on that one.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 06:24 PM

WAY north----it is Highway 36 from Red Bluff about 150 miles to Alton on on 101. The main highway across that area is further north out of Redding; Highway 299.

It begins in California Scrub Oak terrain, climbs over the moutains in Pine Forests, and runs through some Redwoods. It goes through tiny towns and settlements we had never heard of, like Patina, Beergum, Dinsmore etc. We wanted to stop and taking lots of pix, but days are short and we got a late start: one of those vacations that begins in a way that you know it can only get better! There are lots and lots of side roads that we hope to explore in the future.

I cannot remember who it was who suggested that since we liked back roads, we needed to buy the DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer for California--- THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

On a couple of regular maps we looked at, Hightway 36 looks like it might not even go all the way across and that there is nothing there. But the Gazetteer shows it in detail, so it was the way we had to go! It is a very good paved connector road---very slow in some places with the hairpin turns --- backroads are always better than the main highways. :biggrin:

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 06:42 PM

LOL----------and it is right in my backyard (Redding), but I only drove it once about 17 years ago. Did NOT see that "shoetree" however. But you are so right, Diana, and that road is an adventure.

Barry
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
LOL----------and it is right in my backyard (Redding), but I only drove it once about 17 years ago. Did NOT see that "shoetree" however. But you are so right, Diana, and that road is an adventure.

Barry

I doubt there was a shoe tree that long ago. :biggrin: While I said it was north, I think the oak tree caused more to think of Central California. I know I don't usually associate oak trees with Northern California.

We are in Gold Beach tonight and what is with all this weather---not a cloud in the sky, just bright, bright skies which is NOT good for taking pictures. When we lived in Crescent City, there were nice clouds almost EVERY day --- and lots of rain.

BTW Barry, there are lots and lots of interesting looking dirt roads off of 36.

nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 07:20 PM

Barry. are any of your kids shoes up in that tree? I look for it everytime. I am sure there are others around like that but that one has been there for a lonnng time. Nancy
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 07:36 PM

I have it on good authority that highway 36 was engineered and placed so that people could ride neat motorcycles on it!!!!:lol::lol:

Another way to get to the coast without using 199 or 299 or 36 is from Edgewood (north of Weed) to Gazelle, to Callahan in the Scott Valley, continue on Hw 3 to Etna, turn West over the mountain to Sawyers Bar, down the Salmon River to the forks and on to the Klamath, down the Klamath to Wietchepec, NW a little down river and cross the river onto the Bald Hills Road which runs over its namesake and into the Redwoods at the top of Redwood Creek. The descent is rapid and amazing into the dark Redwood groves that contain the tallest tree. The trip is completed at Orick just a couple of clicks from the beach. This is one of the most scenic half days in America. It takes about six hours, and although part is dirt, I've done it in an RX-7. It is absolutely SUPERIOR on a 650 dual sport.

[Edited on 12-6-2011 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 07:40 PM

Diane,

Highway 36 is one of the premier MC roads in California. I rode it last summer.

Enjoy your time up there. If your going through Fort Bragg, North Coast Brewing Company is a great stop for meals and excellent beer.

Ken

(some of those dirt roads will lead you to some interesting farming areas):lol::lol::lol::lol:

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway36.htm

[Edited on 12-6-2011 by tripledigitken]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Diane,

Enjoy your time up there. If your going through Fort Bragg, North Coast Brewing Company is a great stop for meals and excellent beer.

Ken

(some of those dirt roads will lead you to some interesting farming areas):lol::lol::lol::lol:

We saw a few of those MC people---they do tend to know the best routes. :yes::yes:

Now about those back-country farms, do you think they have any direct road-side stands for their crops? :lol::lol::lol:

vgabndo --- I will save those directions and maybe, just maybe if we are lucky we will get to follow them in the near future. THANKS

Diana

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Diane,

Ken

We saw a few of those MC people---they do tend to know the best routes. :yes::yes:

Now about those back-country farms, do you think they have any direct road-side stands for their crops? :lol::lol::lol:

No, but I know a friend that knows a friend................

:P
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.