Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Search for the ERIK
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 09:45 AM
Search for the ERIK

Im sure you have all heard of the ERIK and the tragedy that happened in July. These videos are the un-cut footage of the latest operation. As this tragedy happened in an area where I work and specialize, I was asked to come along as the guide and operator for the mission.

These are the videos of the operation, it will give you a good idea of what it takes to actually do this kind of thing. Thank you to the Mexican Govt, and Military for their help in this joint operation.

Day 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-dEeFd6uVk&feature=share

Day 3 part I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87OzqF7Gfkg

Day 3 part II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meDkp8ZXPbc

Day 3 part III

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sQTmR0qgJU

Day 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRulaipG4WA

More to come.

Dale

[Edited on 12-9-2011 by gonetobaja]
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 10:08 AM

I'm sure that you were more bored filming this than I was watching it, but .... Good Luck with your continueing search. PS: what is water depth there and where does side scanning radar come from?

Bob Durrell
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 10:43 AM

Water depth in the search was from 140 to over 300. The area is much larger than you would expect.

Side Scan sonar uses accoustical signals to create a picture through sound. The "towfish" or underwater sonar torpedo is towed behind the boat on a grid system via GPS to map, track, and record the entire bottom. Should a large object appear its sound signature will appear on the computer screen with its coordinates.

The gear is very expensive and difficult to operate. Our operator has years of experience and is one of the best in the world.

Finding something like this is a process of elimination. As our sonar spec said..."first we find out where its not...then we find it."

D
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 11:10 AM

I hope you are able to locate it soon. I'm sure the families of the missing couldn't begin to express their gratitude to the search team for their efforts. I'm wondering who is funding the search. Who's boat and equipment is it? Is the plan to keep searching until you find it or is there a limit of time, funds, etc? Best of luck to you and the team.

gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 11:46 AM

Goldhuntress,

Im not able to disclose any other information on this operation other than what is in the video and that our search depths were from 140 to over 300 ft.

I can tell you that the weather was not very nice to us.

GTB
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 02:16 PM

Day 4 part II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em_i6GXFdQE
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 02:29 PM

good going Dale!
i see you on TV a lot, discovery CH history CH etc. Glad you're still on the Cortez making things happen.
hope we can hook up again sometime.
good luck.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 03:01 PM

Mike, I was thinking of you on this trip. It would be good to have a plane with a good dirt strip pilot on standby.

D
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 03:03 PM

What happened to your web page Dale? Some months ago people were seeking you out, I recall...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 03:30 PM

Been working as a guide for TV production companies and just kind of let the site go. Ive been keeping on the low for a while but still have the fishing guide services out of Puertecitos. Naty is my partner. When I heard about the tragedy I felt like as part of the area I should help. After all these years of good times in baja its the least I can do. The people I know in San Felipe and south want to have this boat found.

D
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gonetobaja
Been working as a guide for TV production companies and just kind of let the site go. Ive been keeping on the low for a while but still have the fishing guide services out of Puertecitos. Naty is my partner. When I heard about the tragedy I felt like as part of the area I should help. After all these years of good times in baja its the least I can do. The people I know in San Felipe and south want to have this boat found.

D

Good of you for sure... We were on Shell Island when the wind hit... blew us real bad, destroyed our camp... We drove on south the next day. We had no idea (nor did anyone at Gonzaga) about what was going on that morning... We learned about it a couple days later at home on the news.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 06:17 PM

Day 4 part III

Last part of day 4 and the morning of day 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh9c_GaU36U
yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 08:32 PM

Quote:
Goldhuntress,

Im not able to disclose any other information on this operation other than what is in the video and that our search depths were from 140 to over 300 ft.

GTB

Oh give me a break like this is some kind of secret operation............??? its a search for a boat on the bottom of the ocean.......I can't disclose anymore information-Yeah whatever

[Edited on 12-10-2011 by yellowklr]

Derek
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2011 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Mike, I was thinking of you on this trip. It would be good to have a plane with a good dirt strip pilot on standby.

D

stay in touch on that.
you know how to reach me.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2011 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by yellowklr
Quote:
Goldhuntress,

GTB

Oh give me a break like this is some kind of secret operation............??? its a search for a boat on the bottom of the ocean.......I can't disclose anymore information-Yeah whatever

[Edited on 12-10-2011 by yellowklr]

dont get so upset

If you know something you would like to share go ahead. Im not at liberty to discuss whos vessel and gear, and who funded it. I also can not discuss who was involved, other than the Mexican Govt, and US consulate.

Cant figure out why thats so hard to grasp.

As far as figuring out that its a boat at the bottom of the ocean, you knocked that one out of the park...good job.

:?:
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2011 at 05:19 PM

Well said GTB;)
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
Well said GTB;)

Thanks Jim!

I put this together for another site to help explain some of the stuff we were doing. This vid is about the Sonar and GPS system and how we use it and some clips of the search area from the boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO_5lf4Cd7c
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 11:11 AM

Have searched for wrecks in the past. You work a grid, back and forth. It's a slow process.;)
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 12:28 PM

wish we had you and that gear when Gary and Peggy my neighbors went down after they did volunteer flights for the hurricane relief a few years ago. Most of us had a pretty good idea of where they went in based on some facts, radio chatter and a position report.

there was a sizable reward from the family that to my knowledge was never claimed - it required some physical evidence of the plane, the correct plane.

It is still at Davey Jones locker but wonders if it scattered by now on the floor with currents.

gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 01:03 PM

A plane going down would be even harder to find than a ship. Its possible to find anything with enough time.

They move so fast that you can go 10 miles between keying up the comm and letting it off. It would make for a big grid thats for sure.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.