Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: The off topic area of the forum should be closed
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2003 at 11:24 PM
The off topic area of the forum should be closed

Now that the war is over it serves no purpose what so ever, it has become a joke and in my humble opinion it should be closed for good.

reefrocket
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2003 at 01:17 AM

I'm afraid I have to agree with Jesse. Like booz at a party, it was great to exchange ideas untill the alcoholic stumbles in and wrecks the good.:no::(:(
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 6-14-2003 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by reefrocketLike booz at a party, it was great to exchange ideas untill the alcoholic stumbles in and wrecks the good.

Thanks for the notes... anyone else want to chime in here? Actually, are there any regular participants in the forums pertaining to Baja California that would feel deprived if the "off-topic" forum was shut down?

...I'll probably need to pose the question on that forum.... later.

--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2003 at 12:29 PM
O.K. Here are my two cents worth.........

....which may have well devalued to only one cent since the suggestion of the off topic forum.....

The main reason I suggested the off topic section was that I like the idea of being able to discuss a greater cross section of the things that affect Baja than just the "directly related to Baja" subject matter. Degredation of the world's oceans and fisheries, immigration policy , the politics of Mexico and the politics of the U.S. in relation to Mexico are a few of the areas that I would appreciate if you could find a way to remain debatable in this forum if possible.

Having said that, I do miss speaking with all the guys (if I name one, I'll forget to name another), including yourself (kiss, kiss), that used to regularly participate on the board but have backed off out of boredom or frustration in the last couple of months.

I guess I should admit to being just a little less vested in freedom of speech issues than I used to be as all they've gotten me personally is banned from one board and distanced from people I've come to know as friends on this one.

Having said that, I still don't get for the life of me why people can't ignore a thread that doesn't interest them or that they outright hate and still write about things that they do like, but that does seem to be the case.

Either way, life goes on, and I'm on my way to Baja in a few days. Little can knock the bloom off my rose right now, as me, the kids and the dog all drool with pure anticipation. - Stephanie
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2003 at 06:05 PM

Weeelllllllllllllll, if it keeps ND off the rest of the board I think it's worth keeping open.
Nancy Drew
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2003 at 05:38 PM

So, this board has a number of forums and I post on one.

Now that needs to be closed?

Interesting.

Jim an alcoholic does not take responsibity for himself. He blames others.
He comes onto a board and sees something he doesn't like and he emails his buddies not to post on the forum.
He forms a coaltion.

He is a person who is easily threatened. Especially if his denial or viewpoints are challenged.
If he wants to retain his denial he enlists the aid of others, usually close friends, other alcoholics.

He is likely to open a link and flame a poster who has posted something that triggers his reactivity. Usually something that reflects on him, his political association, club etc.

He is a peson who blames others for his reactivity.
He takes no personal responsibity for his reactivity. Got it.

Blame is the name of the game of an an alcoholic.

Now if I arrive on a board and see some content I don't like , I can post my opinion, or not post my opinion, or simply not read the link. That is personal responsibilty.

If I don't like your viewpoint, I do not have to engage in a personal attack.
Simple isn't Jim.

Allowing others to be different is difficult for an alcoholic, simply because of his low self esteem, shakey sense of identity, high anxiety, and no differeniation of self.
Got It.

A person with good self esteem, and self confidence can allow for differences and allow others to be who they are. Not so for the alcoholic.

Alcoholics are bullys. Big Bullies and engage in all sorts of manipulative and power play practices. They can be socially engaging, and very charming until you cross them. Then watch out.

You usually find them in collective groups, in bars, at the open bar at weddings and other social engagements and never ever without the booze, Usually in hand or at hands reach.

Now I have posted something under the Post "Nancy "on CHILD PORONOGRAPHY AND SEXUAL ABUSE OF CHILDEREN

A crime that is so heinous , and yet there is little response to this , other than to shut a board down because certain individuals do not like the content!

You see the alcoholic has the emotional development of a child, usually arrested at the age he/she started drinking.

They engage in Power Plays, something people experience when raising children. catchword for it the terrible twos.

They want what they want and want it now. Alcoholics do not engage in fair play , are highly manipulative, lie and if your trust one you are more than likely to be conned.

Denial is about lying to self and lying to others. Divorce is high among alcoholics.

Just a few of my thoughts.

What happened to Packoderms post?

[Edited on 6-24-2003 by Nancy Drew]

[Edited on 6-24-2003 by Nancy Drew]
Nancy Drew
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2003 at 05:42 PM

P.S. Franko

I know, you , Tucker and Packoderm read my posts, I know.

Isn't it interesting since I have started posting the number of new members that have arrived on this board.

There are forums for everyone. Why not close this one?

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-15-2003 at 07:08 PM

Quote:

Most of ND's contributions are simply links to other web sites--many of us do not follow links like this since they are the most frequent areas of contamination (computer viruses, not thought)--or just rhetoric with no attempt at a middle road of any kind. Just complaints. I find persons like that, whether left or right,[b to be petulant and narrow-minded and not much fun with whom to have a dialog.

Interesting Jim:
http://www.buzzflash.com
http://commondreams.org
http://www.nytimes.com

These are areas of virus contamination??? Really Jim!! Really!!

I am sorry to hear about your fears and paranoia about the internet and links. It must be hard and very limiting on you.

So where do you go for news Jim?

So far, the only opinion you have expressed on the board is for me , my postings, and the links you do not like, or would that be the links you would not like others to read.

Is Child Poronography and Politics too much for You?

So I am not much fun. You came to the forum for fun?
How would you describe fun.

Fun is a word I attach to alcoholics.
A friend once told me that alcoholics are always looking for fun. When you take the substance away, that is when they go dead.

Petulant and narrow minded. You posted that. You contradict yourself Jim. If I have no opinions of my own and what I I do is post contaminated invirulated links {such as Buzzflash, The nytimes , Common Deams } then how can I be complaining, petulant and narrow minded??????

Really Jim, Really!

My opinionis are this: on those people who sign onto a forum just to post and complain on a poster who has contributed some links and has not offered much beyond that. Well my opinion Jim is that they have an agenda.

Where are your contributions Jim. My goodness; it slipped my mind for a sec; you can't make them cuz you find that person who is posting on this forum: well they are no fun!

In my opinion people who recently signed on to complain about a poster such as you did is in my opinion:

similiar to an alcoholic, who emails others and forms coalitions to get someone off a board because he has voted Republican, or some other party and is very unhappy.

Then again maybe he sells timeshares!!!!

What do you think Jim?

Here is my opinion Jim. They are feeling threatened. There is something in that post they do not want others to read. It has hit their hot buttons.

What better way not to get people to read something than to suggest the links I have posted such as the Miami Herald and Nytimes are contaminated!!!!

The fun part Jim.
Why don't you write a trip report and tell us all about your fun.

Now Fun here is fun:

you have to watch the video on Molly Ivins, Al Franken and how he called O'Reillys game. http://www.buzzflash.com Now that was Fun.

It is about Liars Jim. Liars . Well worth the viewing.

Check it out Jim.

Also, on the off topics forum, I have posted a link on alcoholism. If anyone of you have a member of your family who is suffering from this you may want to read it.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-15-2003 at 07:21 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/misc.php?action=search&srchuname...

The Above is the number of posts made by a user who calls himself Jim.

Signed on May 05/03

Jim your postings remind me of someone else who posts on this board. Could you be one and the same?

I have corrected the Quote:

JIM:

Quote:

Most of ND's contributions are simply links to other web sites-- many of us do not follow links like this since they are the most frequent areas of contamination (computer viruses, not thought)--or just rhetoric with no attempt at a middle road of any kind. Just complaints.

I find persons like that, whether left or right, to be petulant and narrow-minded and not much fun with whom to have a dialog.

I remember a kid, when he didn't get what he wanted, when he didn't like how the game was going, well he just wouldn't play.

He took his bat and ball and went home.
Nancy Drew
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2003 at 07:23 PM

Jesse if you have a concern, a real genuine concern for someone, why not use the U2U?

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-15-2003 at 07:59 PM

Quote:

Stephanie:

Having said that, I still don't get for the life of me why people can't ignore a thread that doesn't interest them or that they outright hate and still write about things that they do like, but that does seem to be the case.

Very interesting point Stef:

To do what you suggest would be to take personal responsibilty. Alas, something that is lacking in certain types of individuals.

So why not try some off topic discussions on child abuse and alcholism.

I will dig up some links and see what the current trends are.

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2003 at 05:14 PM
Off topic stuff.

I am new to this board and was led here because the Amigos board was shut down. I have been reading what goes on here and was enjoying the board until it came to tha same old bull like on other boards. Personally, when I type in something about Baja, I expect to see something about Baja. That's how I stumbled across these boards in the first place.
It comes as a surprise and disappointment to see the same old U.S. people argueing about the same old U.S. crap that has nothing (very little) to do with Baja. Seems like they should have their own "special" place.
Hopefully it's not in Baja or a Baja message board. We have left or not gone to many places because we might as well have been at home. SOS !
Please, don't bring that stuff here! Best left in the U.S. where they thrive on it. A country divided, hahahaha
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 8-19-2003 at 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ski Baja
It comes as a surprise and disappointment to see the same old U.S. people argueing about the same old U.S. crap that has nothing (very little) to do with Baja. Seems like they should have their own "special" place.

That's why they were given their own "sandbox" to play (dwell?) in:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37

And yes, candidly, I consider closing-off that part of the playground frequently.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ski Baja
Hopefully it's not in Baja or a Baja message board.
Everything else is specifically supposed to be Baja-related, including the General Q & A, at:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2003 at 08:48 PM
Baja

Muchas Gracias Amigo ! Can we get them some monkey bars ? Population control.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 8-20-2003 at 07:05 PM

I think this off topic area should be left open. I just ignore the posts that are boring or don't interest me.
jimmy smith
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2003 at 09:07 PM

Stumbeled in here by accident--have the feeling that I wandered into the lady's room at the bus station!
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2003 at 09:39 PM
Debra

Jimmy, Dar'lin......no, Ladies don't behave like this....

Nancy Drew, with all due respect, either you HAVE, or HAD an Alcohol problem or you need to add to your reading list "Adult Children Of Alcoholics" by Janet Geringer Woititz, ED.D......either way, your anger is self evident, and I wish you peace.......Debra
Nancy Drew
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2003 at 09:59 PM

Below is a quote taken off the War in Iraq thread. Yes, believe or not it was taken from the political thread:

Quote: Debra

Quote:

Jeff10370: first I don't know what name you were using at the Amigo's board, so I don't know who you are, I wanted to say...don't be worried about running into David K. in Baja, I think you might like him, he is really a nice person.

Stephine: You seem to be implying that one person was responsible for getting you banned at other boards, no one person is that powerful, and no one person conplained about your seemingly, endless enjoyment of stiring up garbage, just for the sake of garbage. I also see from reading here that you seem to have toned it down, good for you, I will return to enjoying reading your posts when I come across them.

David K. I know how you feel about this country, and how it gets your blood boiling when you feel someone is trashing it, but, Please, stop using words like "Leftist, Liberal tactics, and Communists" (IMHO) that just makes things get heated, when it shouldn't have to be that way. Your Liberal, Leftist, Tree Hugging, Patroit friend...

Debra my dear, you may want to read "Codependent No More " by Melody Beattie. Your need to jump into a political debate to meddle, to be in the middle, , give advice, cover up and reinterpret David K's outrageous posting and convince others he is harmless, to play the role of peace maker and placator{peace at any price} is not unlike that of the Alcoholic's wife.

Yes the lame brain excuses for the outrageous flaming , labelling and name calling to say the least , there is no justification for it , especially David's feelings.

It appears to me in my humble opinion David cannot separate thinking from feeling, what he appears to do well is misinterpret others intent and then flame and bash them for whatever facts they present.

If you haven't gathered by now David doesn't seem to be concerned with facts and it appears to me any old excuse to vent his anger and hostilites will do.

http://www.buzzflash.com

I like to keep current on world events.

[Edited on 8-22-2003 by Nancy Drew]
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2003 at 10:49 PM
Thanks alot Nosey

I need you resurrecting slanderous old posts about me like I need a hole in the head! Preciate it! - Stephanie
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-22-2003 at 07:42 AM

Telling lies again, eh Nosey? You really admired Bill Clinton, huh?

If the truth means anything to you, then read my replies to Jeff. I make it quite clear that this should be just friendly debate for entertainment, no hard feelings. You have few or no personal beliefs, as you only seem to be able to post links. Can you ever write what you think or feel without a link to someone else's opinions?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.