Printable Version  
Author: Subject: SHEEP AND GOATS..and other Stuff
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-18-2011 at 08:36 PM
SHEEP AND GOATS..and other Stuff

No...not the domestic kind.

Closest I have ever been to them outside of an animal park.

...Hey, wait a minute ..this IS a park!!

GLACIER PARK, MONTANA in August

[Edited on 12-21-2011 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2011 at 08:45 PM

Oh, they are BEAUTIFUL

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2011 at 07:26 AM

Beautiful Photos!

Brings back many memories. I worked in Glacier with the biologist crews for a few years.

The full curl ram in the lower left photo is posed in the classic dominance/intimidation pose. When two big rams meet each other they will raise their heads high, turn their heads to the side, and show the other ram the size of their horns. If one is markedly larger than the other, the smaller ram will back down and avoid the head bashing dominance fight that sometimes ensues.

So, this begs the question, who had the bigger horns and won the dominance display??? :biggrin::biggrin:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2011 at 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RnR
Beautiful Photos!

Brings back many memories. I worked in Glacier with the biologist crews for a few years.

The full curl ram in the lower left photo is posed in the classic dominance/intimidation pose. When two big rams meet each other they will raise their heads high, turn their heads to the side, and show the other ram the size of their horns. If one is markedly larger than the other, the smaller ram will back down and avoid the head bashing dominance fight that sometimes ensues.

So, this begs the question, who had the bigger horns and won the dominance display??? :biggrin::biggrin:

You got it right, amigo...and it didn't hurt that he had the biggest cajones, either! :yes:

'For your viewing pleasure', here's some scenes you are familiar with..maybe?

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2011 at 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Quote:
Originally posted by RnR
Beautiful Photos!

You got it right, amigo...and it didn't hurt that he had the biggest cajones, either! :yes:

'For your viewing pleasure', here's some scenes you are familiar with..maybe?

-------------------------------------------------------
Let's see, it's been a while, but maybe I can come up with some of the locations:

St Mary's Lake w/ Goose Island [[ Lower Grinnell Lake

Mt Grinnell w/ Mt Gould behind [[ Upper Grinnell Lake

Two Medicine Lake [[ Two Medicine Peak

Lake McDonald [[ Iceberg Lake

Mt Grinnell

East Glacier Entrance [[ West Glacier Entrance

Mt Clements at Logan Pass [[ McDonald Valley from the Highline Trail

Going-To-The-Sun Highway [[ Mt Vaught and Heavens Peak
------------------------------------------------------

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2011 at 09:00 AM
Going-to-the-Sun Road

Gods I love that place. Great photos Pom....and thanks!

Took the Pace Arrow up there the first time visiting....and was turned away because of the length limitations of the Going-to-the-Sun Road.

Hell of a area to visit....and fish.

I noted the Helo pad in one of your pictures here. I hired out that outfit (I do believe it's the same folks as shown) to take the family and me...up. 20 minutes later....short of a hour hire, we had to return to base due to a family member scared out of their wits. Me!

[Edited on 12-21-2011 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2011 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Gods I love that place. Great photos Pom....and thanks!

Took the Pace Arrow up there the first time visiting....and was turned away because of the length limitations of the Going-to-the-Sun Road.

Hell of a area to visit....and fish

Yes indeed, I've been over the Sun Road in a motorhome several times, but the best was on my Vulcan.

I know a few Pams, but who or what the hell is 'Pom'?

p.s. just checked. 'Pom' ..a taro like root based oven dish native to Suriname. Hmmm...why not?

[Edited on 12-21-2011 by Pompano]

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2011 at 11:33 AM

Okay okay.....and only since I see that you are too....a bike rider:-)

Pompano

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2011 at 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Okay okay.....and only since I see that you are too....a bike rider:-)

Pompano

Si como no, amigo..I was the younger of 3 brothers and 1 sister...all riders. Destiny, you see.

Oh yeah...biker through and through. I remember well the taste of grasshoppers, being blinded by my brother's roostertail, and sliding in the cow pies and road apples. It was all a young boy could hope for...heaven on earth.

I had a few adventures..some were even fun.

Flying over my Coyote seawall in pursuit of sobriety and no hangover. I found sharp seashells and red tide.

First bike love was Bonnie, my next door neighbor, on a Triumph Bonneville, then followed a Honda Super Hawk, then a Harley which damn killed me at 14, then a vintage Indian & Norton from my Tio Herb..and on and on...Honda, Kawasaki, Yammie for Baja deserts...you name it, I bought, traded, or won it.

I really ached for this one below I saw in the Black Hills at Chief Crazy Horse museim.

It was a raffle prize. Tickets were five bucks. I bought a hundred. My dream went to a young gal who had..agh!... one ticket...given to her...arrgghh!

Well, okay...good on her...yeah,yeah, it's okay now....sniff...sigh..(little girls should not be allowed to be in raffles!)

Here's a photo from 1991 or 92 (forgot to date a lot of pics back in rum days)..showing some Harley Hogs from Oregon..all Higway Patrol...who I met in Florence, Ore the year before on a Ride for Cancer patients...invited the Hogs to come see me in Baja.

This is just a couple springs ago in Minneapolis, when Co-pilot wanted to get acquainted to 'the Harley style'..which is huge in Italy & the rest of Europe. Harley...schmarly. Anything was stylish on her...even just Chanel No. 5

Hey, that was a fun walk down Memory Lane...thanks for the prompt, mcfez!

El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2011 at 08:30 PM
Fab!

Absolutely fabulously post! Thank you so much for the share....I've read it about a hundred times.....wonderful pictures!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-28-2011 at 08:35 PM

Aaaaaa, Pompono, great memories!!! I was lucky enough to live in West Glacier for a year back in the very late '60's---------

Thank you, mucho!!! for this post.

Barry
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-28-2011 at 08:38 PM
POMPANO

AWESOME PIC'S,,,,sorta remind's mof alaska and B.C. canada..that must be great place......how's the fishing ??? K&T:cool:
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2011 at 09:43 PM

thanks Pomp!!! Those are beeeee-utiful!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 08:40 AM
Glaciers and such things close by..

Some desserts and sights to top off the day.

These guys were 'pike fishing'...one of my favorite things to do Up North. But watch those teeth!!

[Edited on 12-30-2011 by Pompano]

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 10:56 AM
Salmon catchers

Salmon Run Participants

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

First bike love was Bonnie, my next door neighbor, on a Triumph Bonneville, then followed a Honda Super Hawk, then a Harley which damn killed me at 14, then a vintage Indian & Norton from my Tio Herb..and on and on...Honda, Kawasaki, Yammie for Baja deserts...you name it, I bought, traded, or won it.

My first was a 1942 Indian Scout that wasn't exactly vintage since I owned it in 1953. I grew up in Butte, MT and went through elementry school with Bobby (Evil) Knivel who also had one.
Fortunately my parents had the good sense to move to San Diego when I was 15 and despite the fact that I had a MT DL for a year I was to yonug for a CA DL. I used to fire the Indian up in the garage and tinker/ disassemble it but could not ride since my dad kept the garage locked.
One weekend while he was gone a took the hinges off the door and went cruising through a new housing tract that was being built nearby. The Indian started crapping out and while I was trying to adjust the needle valve on the carb I hit something and became airborne over an embnkment and ended up on roof of house under construction. When I awoke I had 3 cracked ribs but was OK otherwise.
When I pushed the bike home i was meet by my dad who smashed the engine with a sledgehammer and cut up thr frame with a hacksaw. Wonder what it would have been worth tgoday.

Bob Durrell
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 09:28 PM

Wild Goose Island in St. Mary Lake, Cracker Lake perhaps, Hidden Lake, Grinnell Basin, Many Glacier, Iceberg Lake, East Glacier, Logan Pass, the Bearhat, McDonald Creek, and the Kalispell Antiques Market, Norm's News (not shown)...

I'm being stalked!
El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 10:08 PM
Glaciers

Thanx, Pomp! Wow! Now I got's another on my b-list for visiting! The auroria borreallis (sp) is on it too, ever been?!;D Nice!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.